May 10, 2005

No Shirt, No Shoes...

Can I ask a simple question? What's up with shirtless old guys?

Yesterday was a lovely day here in the Greater Washington DC area. The sun was out, nice warm breezes were blowing and the birds were chirping. And every other guy I saw on my way home from work was shirtless. And old. Like the guy walking down the street with a couple bags of groceries - jeans, cell phone, hat, tennis shoes...but no shirt! And the guy I let merge into the lane in front of me? Dodge Neon, talking his cell phone...but no shirt. The several runners I passed, I can understand. But the guy out walking his dog? Black dress socks, sandals, bermuda shorts...but no shirt! And - not that I particularly care one way or the other - we're not talking hot young studs here. We're talking old dudes with saggy man-boobs.

So, I ask again - what's up with the shirtless men? Maybe its the same law that governs locker rooms - those who should be the most modest aren't. I'm all for shirtless women though.

On a different note, if you saw my calendar for the day (hell, the rest of the week), you'd run screaming. I have several things to accomplish today including delivering a speech. Before you suggest it, I refuse to picture anyone naked...or shirtless.

Posted by Chris at May 10, 2005 8:03 AM
Comments

Chris, this sounds like much of my weekend except change the gender. I just don't get the need for women to wear next to nothing.

As for me... I will be in town May 25-26. I am working on hooking up with Zandria on the 25th to look at potential places to live and have someone to read the map for me. I would love to attempt to meet the Cactus/Fish family and I know Zandria would love that too. Let me know if there is anyway (we will come to you) to achieve this goal.

Posted by: goodsnake at May 10, 2005 8:14 AM

Umm, could you send this post to my stepmother? Because she keeps e-mailing me pictures of her and my Dad, celebrating their bucolic retirement existence in Florida, and he's shirtless in all of them.

Shirtless old guys? Bad. Shirtless old guys that you're related to? Horrifying.

Posted by: Stacy at May 10, 2005 8:15 AM

OK...now that i have almost upchucked my morning coffee with the picture of saggyboobed old men in my head...yeah, what is up with that? You never see chicks walking around with no shirts on? Why? Because that would be a crime! (and the same should go with old men)...YUCK! Isn't that some kind of form of indecent exposure? Nasty.

Posted by: Michelle at May 10, 2005 8:19 AM

You know what else this applies to? Speedos. Why does ANYONE at a beach find it necessary to wear one? Unless you're at a pool training (which given the prevalence of man-boobs in the beach situations, probably not the case) don't wear Speedos. Ugh.

Posted by: susannah at May 10, 2005 8:49 AM

eww
another thing I can't understand...
why do men who truly do NOT have the body for it insist on wearing thong bikini's??? Sorry to have added yet another mental pic LOL!

Posted by: Nina at May 10, 2005 8:53 AM

a speech or a presentation? cuz the first one brings to mind taking over countries and making declarations. the other, well, not that it would happen during one of your presentations of course, makes me sleepy.

so should i prepare for a coup or a nap?

Posted by: pea at May 10, 2005 9:12 AM

When I was at Jazz Fest a couple of weeks ago, around 98% of the men in attendance were shirtless. In some cases, it was quite frightening. I blame it upon all the readily available beer.

and you know what they say, Chris - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Posted by: samantha at May 10, 2005 9:24 AM

There's a guy that runs on the road near work. He's about 75, bald, and wears only sneakers, socks, and a skin colored Speedo.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at May 10, 2005 9:26 AM

Old men just have a certain sense of entitlement. They've earned the right to do whatever they choose, even if it means driving 50 in the fastlane, farting in public or traipsing around shirtless.

Posted by: A.K. at May 10, 2005 9:29 AM

kinda like the old guy at the beach in a speedo. some things just aren't meant to be seen in public. i think i have a bigger issue though with the guy who was wearing socks with sandals, what's up with that?!

oh and ewww @ giving a speech, good luck!

Posted by: kimberlee at May 10, 2005 10:13 AM

Eeew! reminds me of creepy sweater guy... an old man at my old cheers that had the pompadour greaser hair, tan leathery skin like that one old actor guy & had a ugly resemblence of john wayne [decrepid though]. he wore really tight knit wool sweaters & would go up to any girl dancing & try to get all freaky with her. he once did that to me [imagine him shimy-ing up to me] saying "sit on my face, baby, sit on my face"... just gross...

Posted by: angel at May 10, 2005 10:14 AM

It is just bad taste. It is like women, some times they miss judge too.

Now I am all for being fit, but there should be a rule, if you wore it the FIRST time it was a fad, PUHlease DO NOT wear it AGAIN!

I don't care how you think your body is hot... that you work out and you think it is ok, that 50 is the new 30, when you turn around you scare the hell out of people thinking you should be 19! Shudder

Posted by: Gypsy at May 10, 2005 10:19 AM

What is with the guy who was wearing a HAT but no shirt? I don't care how many accessories you add, your outfit's still not complete, sir!

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 10, 2005 10:51 AM

And why aren't younger women picking up this trend of going shirtless?

Posted by: David at May 10, 2005 12:12 PM

Ha! that happens here in london too, the minute it gets remotely warm or sunny (or wonder of wonders, warm AND sunny) people are like quick! get naked! before it rains!

Posted by: monkey typist at May 10, 2005 12:23 PM

I ran into the SAME thing on my stroll yesterday...men fully clothed sans shirts!
EW EW EW EW!
I mean EW!
I say unless you're at the beach (or you are hot studly roofer) LEAVE YOUR SHIRT ON WHEN IN PUBLIC!

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at May 10, 2005 1:13 PM

I saw all those shirtless men, too! UGH! I cringe when I think of the summer ahead, with all the lawn mowing and pools opening and such.

Hey, when your week from Hell ends, I could let you crash my work thing that I'm all stressy about. Once the darned thing gets going, it's out of my hands, y'know?

Posted by: MamaKaren at May 10, 2005 1:34 PM

I feel lucky that it's been too cold here for the Shirtless Redneck Mafia to be out and about much. But it's comin', baby. Oh yes.

Posted by: Tami at May 10, 2005 3:11 PM

Shirtless old guys think they're hot. Shirtless old guys sans shirts but hats think they're really really hot.

Posted by: Retro Girl at May 10, 2005 3:30 PM

Maybe you could think of them all as idiots? Or is that too close to reality?

Posted by: Queen of Ass at May 10, 2005 4:01 PM

There are worse things than shirtless old guys. Such horrors reside at Black's Beach in San Diego. Hordes of shirtless old guys lying about like beached beluga whales. But that's not the bad part. Black's is San Diego's only nude beach.

Posted by: Jason at May 10, 2005 4:05 PM

you love the shirtless man boobs, why else would you post about them?? it must be because you cant get tehm outta your head!!! Mmmm man boobs, lol!!

Posted by: lizabetty at May 10, 2005 5:56 PM

interesting! I don't see many shirtless dudes around here. good thing too. that much white skin glistening in the sunshine could blind people.

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at May 10, 2005 8:31 PM

I think you were just jealous because you were too busy to run around with YOUR shirt off. :)

Posted by: Zandria at May 10, 2005 8:31 PM

i'd appreciate if you wouldn't sneak an entry about man boobs in on me like this. it's been a rough week already :)

Posted by: tiffanie at May 10, 2005 8:33 PM

Ummm, I've pushed those gross pictures out of my head and instead, have decided to focus on the BLACK socks WITH sandals. WTF is up with THAT??!?? First of all, wearing socks with sandals is uber-forbidden.... but wearing BLACK socks with sandals is downright crossing the line.

Posted by: ironic1 at May 10, 2005 8:39 PM

I wish I could help you on that question. I see it here in Mass all the time, even when it's freezin out, well 40-50 degrees is quite chilly for no shirts!

I can relate on the busy schedule! My calendar for the month of May is Craaaazy!

Posted by: Lauren at May 10, 2005 9:22 PM

We got them here too! I hear in San Fran there are shirtless women. ack!

Posted by: mrsmogul at May 11, 2005 5:40 AM