May 2, 2005

The Mysterious Drip (No, I'm Not Talking About Myself)

Picture, if you will, a quiet Sunday morning. In keeping with the cliche, the sun is shining and the birds are, indeed, chirping. Donuts have been consumed, coffee is being savored and your fine emails are being answered. Yet the peace was interrupted when Beth discovered a dreaded and mysterious leak flowing from the ceiling in the basement. Like a good husband, I immediately responded.

Her: Where do you think its coming from?
Me: Well, the bathroom's kinda above us. It could be the plumbing from there.
Her: The toilet's been making a funny noise. Like dripping.
Me: Yeah, but that's just a problem with the toilet. This? Well...there's something else strange about it.
Her: What?
Me: Whatever's dripping is yellow.
Her: I noticed that.
Me: That can't be good.
Her: No. I only know of one yellow thing that would be dripping from plumbing.

I jumped on top of the washing machine and inspected the i-beams and floorboards around the leak.

Me: I think I have the answer!
Her: What?
Me: ...
Her: What? Why are you smiling at me like that?
Me: PICKLES!
Her: What the hell...
Me: You cleaned out the fridge this morning, right?
Her: Yeah.
Me: Did you throw out a jar of pickles?
Her: No.
Me: Are you positive?
Her: No.
Me: PICKLES!
Her: Pickles?
Me: PICKLES! Smell the puddle of yellow stuff.
Her: PICKLES!

Sure enough, we headed upstairs and discovered, directly above the mysterious drip, a leaking trashbag complete with puddle of pickle juice.

Posted by Chris at May 2, 2005 9:35 AM
Comments

Thank goodness it wasn't the yellow stuff I was thinking of!! I once dropped a jar of jalapenos....and that smell stayed for a few days!

Posted by: tonya at May 2, 2005 9:40 AM

Well, at least it was coming DOWN at you from the ceiling. My experience says it's worse if it's fluid, especially not clear fluid, rising UP at you from the floor.

Posted by: Vicki at May 2, 2005 9:51 AM

Ack! But still isn't it strange that it was dripping through the floor/ceiling? At least it wasn't the OTHER yellow stuff. Ewwwww.

Posted by: carrster at May 2, 2005 9:53 AM

HAHAH, that's a cute story. We've been plagued with some leakage problems too: in our basement. The spot where the hydro comes, which is actually a hole in the foundation (our hydro comes in through underground lines) is leaking.

At first I freaked out....you know the whole electricity AND water thing combined...USUALLY being a BAD thing....but I am told that it's 99% safe (not quite sure about the missing 1% though, musta been a laywer that advised the plumber on what to say) because underground power lines are made to soak up/touch water... and that it's just more of an annoyance in terms of a basement flood...go figure water and electricity CAN mix in certain cicumstances....we do have an icky leaky basement though....which was NOT apparent when we bought the house...URG...more stuff for the line of credit!

Posted by: wn at May 2, 2005 10:12 AM

Hahaha! Thank god it's pickle juice and not something else yellow :)

Posted by: Sweety at May 2, 2005 10:25 AM

Oh my. Iew. When you were discussing yellow, though, pickles was a relief!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at May 2, 2005 10:31 AM

:D Glad it was only pickle juice!

Posted by: Ginny at May 2, 2005 10:57 AM

phew... and there i was blaming the cats!

Posted by: monique at May 2, 2005 11:07 AM

For a while, I got the 'basement' confused with 'attic' and was really confused and slightly bothered by the idea that that's where you store your trash. Phew... glad its only a Monday morning problem of mine and not something nasty on your end.

Posted by: bmh at May 2, 2005 11:30 AM

Ha ha ha...you got off that one easy!

Posted by: kimberlee at May 2, 2005 11:50 AM

I agree with the above comments--it could have been something MUCH worse! "Whew," huh? :)

Posted by: Spring at May 2, 2005 12:20 PM

My drip was strawberries...had to pull up the rug and mop the entire kitchen floor...gross.

Posted by: jennifer at May 2, 2005 12:27 PM

kudos for you to have had the courage to smell the yellow dripping mystery juice :p

Posted by: angel at May 2, 2005 12:55 PM

"Smell the puddle of yellow stuff."....

LOL! I love it. I am infamous for asking/saying stuff like that..."This taste like crap, here, you taste it..."

Posted by: lu at May 2, 2005 1:18 PM

I can't get my head around this. I keep wondering if a)it was, like, a 5 gallon jar of pickles or b)your ceiling is made of papier-mache.

Posted by: Jason at May 2, 2005 1:31 PM

Another case solved by RCI - Rude Cactus Investigators. Soon airing after CSI.

Posted by: BillH at May 2, 2005 1:34 PM

"pickles" is a funny word... don't you think?

Posted by: jodi at May 2, 2005 2:38 PM

Well let me tell you MY pickle story this weekend! There is a jar of pickles in the fridge and my husband took it out and said it looked like turds to gross me out. I said I wasn;t going to eat them because he said that,

he replies I will too eat them when he slices them up to put in my veggie burger.
Well this morning we cleaned out the fridge to put in our NEW ONE and I passed him the jar of pickles to toss in the trash. Well he refused and now I can;t look at them in the new fridge!

Posted by: mrsmogul at May 2, 2005 3:40 PM

i'm sorry, but ew. better than the other possibilities, yes. but still? ick.

Posted by: granola at May 2, 2005 5:48 PM

Mysterious yellow substance leaks through ceiling in DC suburb. Film at 11. I think there should have been a Hazmat crew involved somehow :)

Posted by: Sue at May 2, 2005 6:15 PM

Eww! I don't know if I would dare to smell it in the first place! Glad it was pickle juice :)

Posted by: Luna at May 2, 2005 6:42 PM

you should drink that picke juice right up, mmm...dont waste it!

Posted by: lizabetty at May 2, 2005 7:44 PM

I'm with Jason (paper mache floors/ceilings)- unless you guys are like Mr. M and I, and the trash sits in the hallway for a few days because each of us figures the other one is going to take it out. In which case, I better make friends with the folks downstairs, 'cause they're probably getting dripped on with stuff all the time. Or, if that's the case, we should avoid them completely.

Posted by: SpaceCase at May 2, 2005 9:32 PM

ewwwwww.

Posted by: annie at May 2, 2005 9:33 PM

Nice!!

Damn, now I have the song "Doves Cry in my Head"... (read the beginning of the first sentence again)!!!

Posted by: ::c:: at May 2, 2005 11:20 PM

Good sleuth work Sherlock! And a great story. Looking forward to reading more.

~ Jef

Posted by: Jef at May 3, 2005 9:03 AM

snork, that's much better than the alternative.

Posted by: A.K. at May 3, 2005 9:46 AM

It is SUCH a man thing to SMELL anything and everything! Egads! Walk away...you don't have to smell it! ; )

Please when the baby comes...DO NOT SMELL THINGS!
Shudder!

Posted by: Gypsy at May 3, 2005 10:07 AM

must be from all of those pickle and ice cream sundaes... ;) Or does your wife have other weird cravings instead?

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at May 3, 2005 2:24 PM