July 14, 2005

Not My Favorite Day Ever

Yes, there was training and inappropriate answers during training but, as I was tied up in said training, I had to miss an OB appointment with Beth. In which Beth learned of our daughter's first act of rebellion. Sometime during the last week, she decided to be difficult and turn over. Yep, we have a breechy Bean. Of course, as first time parents, this freaks us out. We've compiled a terribly irrational list of reasons including, but not limited to:

- she hates us
- she heard me respond to Beth's concerns last week that she'd flip with "come on...what's the liklihood she'd flip now?"
- there's something horribly wrong that we're somehow responsible for
- instead of her head being huge, as originally thought, its tiny and doesn't weigh her down enough
- she's afraid we'll be horrible parents so she's decided she just won't come out

And of course the Internetwebosphere (not you but the gen-pop where all the bad stuff goes down) didn't help. No, the Internet is full of horror stories about breech births. Of course, its also full of people doing interesting things with donkeys so its unclear why I thought it should suddenly be a reliable source of information.

The truth is, odds are everything will be just fine. There's a chance she'll flip. Last night I talked to the lower part of the belly in the hopes of coaxing her around. I even offered her an increase in her allowance. She's already great at driving a hard bargain. At least, now, we'll know when she's coming. I'd rather Beth not have to go through the c-section and I know she's scared. But I know it'll be alright.

Oh, and then, to cap things off in stunning fashion, I took the trash out last night and locked myself out of the house...in the dark...while Beth was in the shower...in my PJs.

All-in-all, you can see why I wasn't a big fan of yesterday...

Posted by Chris at July 14, 2005 6:57 AM
Comments

Big hugs for a better today, kid.

C'mon, Bean!

Posted by: alektra at July 14, 2005 7:28 AM

to combat the horrible breech baby stories ... my sister was a breech baby for months! drove my mom crazy. but wait, it gets better, the day before she was born, she magically turned on her own. she did still need a teensy bit of help from the doc but all turned out well. 24 years later and she's a little crazy but i think that's more about nurture than nature, know what i mean?? :D

Posted by: pea at July 14, 2005 7:38 AM

What was Beth doing in the shower in your PJs?
*wink*

Posted by: mooalex at July 14, 2005 7:50 AM

not having the best week, are you? me neither. we should just move on to next week.

your baby is messing with you. don't show weakness. this is your first opportunity to establish dominance. you screw up now, and you'll be wrapped around her finger for the rest of her life. ;)

Posted by: jodi at July 14, 2005 8:03 AM

oh, don't worry about the breech thing. i was my mom's first child and i, too, was born breech. in fact, my first brother was also breech. anyways... beth and the bean will be just fine. no worries. :)

Posted by: Judy at July 14, 2005 8:07 AM

Somersaults are one of the joys of life and there are many more to come- probably still in the next couple weeks. The good news is those nurse practioners are a whiz at nudging the unborn. Not to worry...
(Don't you love the way certain people feel free to just drop in with all sorts of advice about your cat, your bean, etc.? Wait til you have pacifier concerns...)

Posted by: Vicki at July 14, 2005 8:15 AM

Hey, at least you had pjs on...coulda been worse!

Posted by: christina at July 14, 2005 8:36 AM

Hope today's better for you!

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 14, 2005 8:50 AM

Thank god - I though I was the only one who ever managed to do stupid sh-t like this. :)

Posted by: susannah at July 14, 2005 8:58 AM

oooooooooooh man....I'm picturing you in 1950's sit-com-esque (think Leave it to Beaver's pop) PJ's - full pants & button down shirt? It makes teh visulization even better. I hope today is a much better one for you. C'mon now Bean - flip over!

Posted by: carrster at July 14, 2005 9:04 AM

That was a crap day, for sure. Hope today is better for you.

I know everyone is telling you this, but I personally know three people whose babies flipped in the days before their scheduled C-sections. She's just trying to get comfy in there. She'll turn again.

Posted by: donna at July 14, 2005 9:09 AM

Beth showers with clothes on? Freaks. No wonder Bean's being recalcitrant.

Posted by: Stacy at July 14, 2005 9:16 AM

I've commented on Beth's blog as well, but want to reassure you that the breech presentation (and potential c-section) are not as mad as you may fear. #1 son was breech and refused to flip back- the surgery and subsequent recovery to have him was not bad at all! Hang in there, one way or the other you will end up with a perfect baby out in the world.

Posted by: MamaKaren at July 14, 2005 9:17 AM

Sorry the day was rough! Hope the rest of the week is better (how could it not be though with Willy Wonka and Harry Potter?) Hopefully the bean is just testing you and she'll come around soon(ha!).

Posted by: Dooneybug at July 14, 2005 9:34 AM

It's official. I'm going to have to drink a glass of wine on behalf of you and Beth. I already needed several for myself, but I'm happy to oblige.

Posted by: samantha at July 14, 2005 9:39 AM

Weeeeeeee! Isn't being a parent so much fun! Nonstop worrying and responsibility is SO much cooler than being real rock stars....

I'm sure everything will be just fine. What's worse case scenario? C-section?

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at July 14, 2005 9:45 AM

'...people doing interesting things with donkeys ...' Either 'interesting' was an unfortunate choice of words or you are revealing a little too much information here Chris ... ;-)

Posted by: Mike at July 14, 2005 9:50 AM

I'm sorry, what a little stinkerbean. Plenty of time to flip back, and if not, you could try a version (manual turning of baby). And let me tell you, this is only the beginning of the grief you will receive from bean. ;)

Posted by: A.K. at July 14, 2005 10:06 AM

How do you know you're losing it? When you're talking to your kid's ass on the same day you brought up heroin addiction at a meeting.

The C-section isn't that bad, if she ends up needing one. The scar eventually fades to nearly invisible and it precludes a certain degree of trauma to another area of likely future interest.

Posted by: Mike at July 14, 2005 10:08 AM

Keep your peeing cat away from the bean- apparently it has been communicating its theories on bargaining.

Posted by: heels at July 14, 2005 10:10 AM

no worries dude... she's just testing you. if you give in on the breech thing, just imagine what will happen for the first ear infection or stubbed toe.

i know it's easier said than done, but don't sweat the small stuff. she's growing and healthy and doing normal baby in the womb stuff.

Posted by: monique at July 14, 2005 10:11 AM

A couple months ago I went to the car to get something and I locked myself out of the house at midnight, J was home alone, in my pijamas, no phone, no money, only the car keys... it was awful.

Posted by: ava at July 14, 2005 10:16 AM

How long were you locked out for?

Posted by: smartjuice at July 14, 2005 10:19 AM

I hope today is better for you!

As far as the flipping baby - Amalah's baby decided to flip too and it freaked her out. Maybe the kids somehow planned this? LOL
The Bean will flip back over in time to be born. She just needed a change of pace. Or maybe she's reacting to Beth's 4am toilet fixing? Who knows.

It will work out though.

Posted by: Kitty at July 14, 2005 10:32 AM

No sweat, dude. Things will be just fine. If the Bean continues to flip-flop, I predict a successful career in either gymnastics or politics.

Posted by: Jason at July 14, 2005 11:14 AM

Nope, can't disagree with ya that yesterday sucked! I fully support your feelings and your fears. After having said that...we must think positive now and I know that you know that all will be well. You do know that right? OK. I'm going to the zoo right now but when I get back we can talk more in detail...you sit tight and think happy thoughts (but don't fly way). Sending you big hugs.....

Posted by: Kate at July 14, 2005 11:30 AM

Hang in there, brother. Perhaps today will be an awesome day (it's not yet Friday, though, so I don't know).

Posted by: Heather at July 14, 2005 11:38 AM

I bet you're getting all sorts of unsolicited advice on this and I'm going to throw my $.10 in too.

Turning techniques you can do at home are collectively referred to as spontaneous cephalic version. Some trials have been conducted to determine the effectiveness of these various methods, but more study is required before we can really be sure how well they work.

In one study of 71 breech babies, 65 turned when their mother adopted the knee-chest position. To do this, kneel on your bed with your bottom in the air and your hips flexed at slightly more than 90 degrees (don't let your thighs press against your bump). Try to keep your head, shoulders, and upper chest flat on your mattress. Maintain this position for 15 minutes every two waking hours for five consecutive days.

Alternatively, try lying on your back with your hips slightly elevated and your hips and knees flexed. Gently roll from side to side for 10 minutes and repeat this manoeuvre three times a day. If you have had any backache, pelvic pain or hip pain during your pregnancy, do talk to your midwife or physiotherapist before you try this.

These can't hurt Beth or Bean so I would give them a shot.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. You still have a couple of weeks to go and Little Miss may just be looking for a change of scenery.

Posted by: zanie at July 14, 2005 11:40 AM

Sorry, should have put quotes around the whole actual information part. No those are not my words, only research.

Posted by: zanie at July 14, 2005 11:44 AM

I had a c-section, and like I told her, THE WAY TO GO WHENEVER POSSIBLE! I think it should seriously be elective surgery. But then, I was terrified of the normal way of delivery, so I may be a little partial.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at July 14, 2005 11:51 AM

That was one sucky day. Sorry! I told Beth that that was might inconsiderate of Bean to do that. She's probably just messing with you! You two have a wicked sense of humor so obviously she inherited it and can't wait to start screwing with you. What a precocious child!

Posted by: Ms. Q at July 14, 2005 12:24 PM

I was a breech baby and I was two weeks late, and my mother eventually recovered. There was no C-section involved, just a lot of waiting and a lot of complicated tools.

Posted by: samantha at July 14, 2005 12:59 PM

I'm guessing it's all of the above reasons. And this is just the beginning. Can you imagine when she's old enough to drive...and...gasp...have sex!!! I love her already that Bean.

Posted by: Grace at July 14, 2005 2:44 PM

Awww....good luck you guys. I hope she turns for you. :)

Posted by: Sue at July 14, 2005 2:56 PM

Why on eart would your wife be in the shower in your PJs? That's not right.

Posted by: bhd at July 14, 2005 4:37 PM

Bummer of a day dude! She's probably messin with you becasue of your crazy Tom Selleck dreams... ;-)

Babies can turn quite a few times near the end. Don't worry. And the medical profession is full of wonderful gadgets and devices to monitor everything during the birth. The most important thing is getting baby into the world with the least amount of stress on baby and mama. Think happy thoughts!! Power of positive thinking.

Posted by: Amy at July 14, 2005 5:40 PM

Did you try bribing the Bean with ice cream? Or bling? Maybe that might work.

Posted by: Jessica at July 14, 2005 8:44 PM

i am sure it will all be ok....don't you have a spare key under the door mat?

Posted by: lizabetty at July 14, 2005 9:26 PM

i think you should sign the bean up for some early gymnastics classes! i'm in agreement with the majority here, she's just getting you prepared for her arrival! hang in there, dude....and keep a spare key under a rock in your yard, it's not fair to scare the neighbors like that! ;-)

Posted by: jen at July 14, 2005 10:37 PM

I have a feeling this has to do with Big Brown Nut-hair and Little Brown Nut-hair...

Hmmm, guess she didn't like that story... ;)

Sorry. I hope everything works out... I'm sure it will.

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at July 14, 2005 10:40 PM

no worries, my cousin was prego with twins and the girl was breach up until the day she delivered. my cousin had one of the best docs in the washington state area for turning babies and she didn't even have to have a c-section despite the fact that she was having twins!! they were able to flip her no problem even with her brother in the way. ;) at least bean is flipping around solo. lol

Posted by: angel at July 14, 2005 10:47 PM

Even if she doesn't turn, encourage your lovely wife not be too worried about a c-section. I had a few of them and they weren't bad at all....there are SOME benefits and no matter what, a healthy baby and a healthy mom is all that matters...just don't pass out yourself....

(i can only begin to imagine the photos)

my thoughts are with you three

Posted by: beautiful face at July 15, 2005 1:25 AM

Ignore it, she'll get bored and turn :)

Posted by: Sweety at July 15, 2005 2:36 AM

focus and breath. focus and breath. you still have time she may turn again.

locked yourself out, huh...classic. anything to do out there while you waited?

;-)

Posted by: melanie at July 15, 2005 5:52 AM

awww Beanette was just dancing with me in spirit for Bastille Day, she'll turn around, all will be ok.

And if it will make you feel better then I can send a movi= clip I took of the fireworks :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at July 15, 2005 6:36 AM

I hear that showers are a little more refreshing and purposeful when taken without clothes on -- PJs or otherwise. You should look into that for Beth... or maybe that's what got you two to this point in the first place. ;o)

Hang in there... the Bean still has some time to do her gymnastics in Beth's belly. Don't freak out yet. Save that for when you see the Bean for the first time. :o)

Posted by: ironic1 at July 15, 2005 7:10 AM

You don't have to believe me, but I almost preferred the c-section to the vaginal birth. I had two, and in addition to being able to stay two more nights, odds are you will be there when your milk comes in, and I don't believe any woman should be sent home until she has been coached through this sudden change and taught how to manage it.

Also, stitches here, stitches there? You end up with them somewhere. I am being sincere when I say I was happy to have another section with my third.

Posted by: mindy at July 15, 2005 10:20 AM

Just chiming in to say that I had both my girls via c-section (first one emergency, second, elective, baybee) and have no regrets.

I'll second beautiful face's sentiment...healthy mama, healthy baby!

Is is it wrong for me to wish you had been locked outside in your underwear? ; )

Posted by: lu at July 15, 2005 12:10 PM

What Mindy said. I've had three c-sections. Like I told Beth, it's really nothing like you may have been told or you may imagine. She'll still get into a fine college and have lots of friends. It's really OK if the baby needs to come out that way, I promise.

Posted by: Busy Mom at July 15, 2005 12:15 PM

Owch. At least today made up for yesterday!

Posted by: Pixie at July 15, 2005 2:32 PM