July 24, 2005

The Mia Report

First, you rock! The outpouring of love for our little girl and our little family is just amazing. I'm not ashamed to admit that all the love made me cry like a little girl tear up. There's no way I'm going to be able to answer the 297 comments and emails personally over the next couple of days. We've got our hands full. So, to each of you, thank you.

Mom and Mia continue doing well. Last night was better than the night before. If we can just keep heading in that direction, we'll all be in good shape by the time we come home...tomorrow! Yep, we'll be out of the hospital (which is nice because I never realized how little rest you're actually able to get in a hospital) and headed home tomorrow. It seems like I've been living in two separate realities - the one at the hospital where Mia and Beth live and the one here back home, populated by cute baby furniture and cats. It'll be nice to bring the two together at last.

In due time, I'll have the whole story here. In the mean time, know that all is well and your good thoughts and wishes are not only appreciated but very truly and deeply felt.

Oh...I'd like you to know it only took me 8 hours to come up with a totally lame name-pun. Question: What's it called when Mia gets all upset and makes a sad face and her eyebrows come together? Answer: A Mia furrow. Sense of humor? Bad but marginally intact.

Posted by Chris at July 24, 2005 12:21 PM
Comments

Baaaaaahahaha.

Chris? I'm glad to know that you're unable to answer 297 comments personally, nice to know you are, indeed, HUMAN. :)

But, could you kiss mia for me just one time purleaaaase?! mmmmuuaaaaah!

Posted by: Chepooka at July 24, 2005 12:26 PM

I'm surprised you've already found time to post twice... but since you have found time to post twice and only posted pictures of Mia once I am very disappointed in you!! ;)

Posted by: Amber at July 24, 2005 12:37 PM

Yep. Just as I said, it happened while I'm on vacation! :) Congrats, she is of course the most beautiful baby girl. Love the name! Blessings to you and Beth....I'm extremely happy for the both of you. Thanks for taking the time to update us, you are way cool, daddi-o! Kiss your women for me and smooch yourself one good from me too. Take care, talk to you soon...if and when things ever settle down :) Don't count on that now....but it's a good thing!

Posted by: Kate at July 24, 2005 12:46 PM

I am honored that you share your life and family with us the humble reader. I'm sure I speak for all of us readers when I say don't worry about responding to each of our well wishes but to enjoy each moment with your family.

Posted by: Angelia at July 24, 2005 12:48 PM

Love the name AND the pun! Hugs and kisses all around... Hope you are home soon!

Posted by: Sue at July 24, 2005 12:55 PM

Just got back from a weekend in NJ without internet, and when I got back on, yours was the first site I checked! Congratulations to you and Beth on your beautiful baby girl. May your nights be peaceful and your days be memory filled. :)

Posted by: Dana at July 24, 2005 1:05 PM

Super freakin awesome!
She's beautiful...nice work, dad.
After 2 boys, I'm looking forward to hearing what a girl is like before I have mine in October.
So so happy for you...

Posted by: shannon at July 24, 2005 1:29 PM

Hey Chris, thanks for keeping us updated, it's been great seeing the pictures. Your daughter looks amazing, I think you're going to be a great daddy. Give Beth and Mia love from the internet and bring them home soon!

Posted by: Nic at July 24, 2005 1:35 PM

So you don't feel silly when you read your lame pun (kidding!) some day- What's it called when Mr. Cactus looks at his new Mia and the corners of his mouth go up and his eyes get all squinty and even his nose scrunches up cause he's so doggone thrilled to see her? Chris Crinkle. Aw, man, sorry. That was way lamer than yours...

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at July 24, 2005 2:10 PM

just enjoy these days and don't worry about answering us lurkers. :) give that lil bean a hug from me. :)

Hugs, Zissy

Posted by: Zissy at July 24, 2005 2:37 PM

I was painting this weekend with a heat index of 114 outside while in a house without electricity, and ALL day I thought, "I wonder how Cactus Fish and Bean are..." :) It's so fun to see you all and hear your wonderful stories.

It seems like everyone's coming home quickly! Although I'm sure to both Mia and Beth it seems like an eternity.

Congrats again.

Posted by: Emily at July 24, 2005 3:01 PM

Congrats dear Cactus! The bean has no idea how lucky she is to have you and Ms Fish-something I'm sure you'll take plenty of time in the next 18 or so years to remind her of. ;) She is just beautiful and I love love love the name! Keep the pictures coming and for heavens sake-we DO NOT expect you to return each and every comment. You have your hands quite full with your bundle of joy. Enjoy every precious moment of it.

Posted by: Bayou at July 24, 2005 3:47 PM

I'm sure everyone is so anxious to come home and nest - I agree with the general consensus that I just feel blessed that you and Beth are sharing this with all of us!

I'm just hoping that Callie will be okay, you know, since her services are not needed as the baby gift model :) Sending you my continuing love for all the Cactus Fish family!!

Posted by: samantha at July 24, 2005 4:04 PM

It's ok... We'll forgive you for your sad sense of humor for now. We know it's been a tough time. ;)

Posted by: Jessa at July 24, 2005 5:35 PM

Congrats on the baby, she's beautiful!

Posted by: Ginny at July 24, 2005 5:48 PM

Awww. You're gonna be the best dad ever (except for my Hubby of course). Look at you, you're already an expert at corny-dad-jokes. LOL

You're such a cute new daddy. Congrats again. Love to Beth and Mia. Just tell Beth: The baby can't crawl yet, so let the floor get as dirty as it has to and sleep when Mia sleeps.

Posted by: hr mommy at July 24, 2005 6:07 PM

Awww. Only time will tell if she will inherit her Dad's sense of humour :)

Posted by: Zoe at July 24, 2005 6:13 PM

I was thinking about you all at work on Friday and hoping everything was going smoothly. No matter...you have a beautiful baby girl and a new mom and dad. Enjoy the ride.

Posted by: angela marie at July 24, 2005 6:36 PM

Congrats to you Chris and Beth and I have to tell you, I LOVE THE NAME!

My daughter, who is adopted and beautiful and the light of my life? Is named Mia Celeste, which Italian and Latin for my star.

Best wishes and wonderful blessings on the newest Miss Mia in the world.

Posted by: Lisa at July 24, 2005 7:11 PM

Beautiful baby, beautiful family! Congratulations.

Posted by: keepergirl at July 24, 2005 7:21 PM

We'll be glad to have you guys back together and at home. Thanks for keeping us all updated! You guys are adorable.

Posted by: Queen Of Ass at July 24, 2005 7:58 PM

yay. congratulations on the safe arrival of beautiful mia.

Posted by: suze at July 24, 2005 8:54 PM

Keep a pillow at her side at all times for when she gets in and out of beds and in and out of chairs. It will be a bit sore for awhile...but so much better then the alternative :)

Smoootch

Posted by: amy at July 24, 2005 9:10 PM

Try to enjoy your babymoon... rest should be easier to come by once you get into your own space.

Posted by: Jenny at July 24, 2005 9:33 PM

Everything will improve when you, Beth & Mia are home together. Just remember to get her on a schedule right away! That helped so much with Lil Darling!!!

Posted by: Miss Chera at July 24, 2005 10:04 PM

Again - congrats congrats! Looking forward to more updates as the Bean grows. :-)

Posted by: carrster at July 24, 2005 11:01 PM

Congrats, my god bless you all with health and happiness for a lifetime!

Posted by: Michele at July 25, 2005 2:57 AM

What? Mia's-ma never occurred to you? OR Beth??

Posted by: mindy at July 25, 2005 4:02 AM

Chris and Beth, a HUGE congratulations and HOORAH to the both of you and your new not-so-beany daughter, Mia.

I know you've heard this crap before, but I feel like I've gotten to know a certain part of the both of you and consider the both of you internet 'friends'. As such, I was very touched, grateful and elated that your little bundle of goodness made a safe arrival into your lives. When you're a *bit* (because that's relative now) more rested, we'll all be glad to hear more detail about her arrival.

Posted by: wn at July 25, 2005 7:57 AM

I am so happy for all of you, Mia, Mom, Dad and kitties (although I think they will wonder who/what this new little person is doing in THEIR home :) )
Your little Mia shares a D.o.b. with my close friends little Ella, who was born Friday at 2:50 P.M.
Best of luck.

Posted by: Stephanie at July 25, 2005 8:28 AM

No answer expected; I just wanted to say she's beautiful (of course). Now go get some sleep. :)

Posted by: Julie at July 25, 2005 9:20 AM

OMG. I totally missed the birth. I've been so out of everything and I totally missed Mia's birth. And it was all planned and everything (probably to fix the results of the birth date pool) and I still missed it.

Well, CONGRATULATIONS, Chris and Beth, and little Mia!

PS
You need to change your profile on the right to say "father". :)

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at July 25, 2005 9:51 AM

She's absolutely beautiful and I love the name. Give good thoughts and hugs to Mom, Mia and yourself from me. Congratulations, Daddy.

Posted by: Jazzy at July 25, 2005 9:56 AM

Glad to hear you're all doing well. Oh, and the whole resting at home bit? Well, it's true that they will get more rest at home than at the hospital, but you're going to have so many damn people stopping by the house to see Mia. The whole "rest" thing doesn't start for a couple of weeks. You might want to hide the kitchen knives and sharp objects from Beth. My husband hid them from me because, although everyone was wonderful and full of great intentions, I almost killed a lot of them because I just wanted to lay down with my new baby girl without a bunch of germy people around..... So good luck! :)

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at July 25, 2005 10:37 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Mom and baby are gorgeous specimens!!! WElcome to the workd of parenthood. Not only parenthood but the best kind of beautiful daughter parenthood. Coming up on one year I can tell you that 1. It gets A LOT easier around 3-4 months. 2. you will never be so happy and exhausted at the same time. 3. they really do grow up fast. In the words of John Leguziamo (SP?) When you are a parent, the days are long, but the years are short. 4. You will learn you are capable of love that you never knew existed. It's like getting your doctorate in Love.

Posted by: Meghan at July 25, 2005 10:53 AM

This is my first visit. What a way to start - mazel tov!!

Posted by: mar at July 25, 2005 11:26 AM

While I'm away... of course, I knew that before I left.

How wonderful and all that. I'm so happy for you both, in a way I can't even explain. It's fabulous to know that two people will be great parents, and have a gorgeous child to care for.

You know my blessings and thoughts are with you.

Posted by: Autumn at July 25, 2005 11:54 AM

I, too, am glad to know that you can't possibly answer 297 emails and comments. If you did, I would seriously start to question your priorities!

I didn't say it yet, but Mia is beautiful (as we knew she would be). I love Love LOVE her name. (Didn't I suggest that one?!) =) I am so happy for you and Beth and Mia. Glad things went smoothly and looking forward to a regular Mia report.

What does a frazzled dad say when he forgets why he's going back to the hospital for the umpteenth time? Momma! Mia!

Posted by: Ms. Q at July 25, 2005 12:01 PM

the first thing I did was check on you guys...before my shower and breakfast...

Your too funny!

She's the most beautiful baby ever! Very luck girl to have such great parents!

Posted by: Veronica at July 25, 2005 12:09 PM

Congratulations, Chris and Beth!

Posted by: Martha at July 25, 2005 12:45 PM

*Snort* Mia Furrow!
Lack of sleep is getting to you already?

Posted by: Gypsy at July 25, 2005 1:09 PM

Woooooo Hooooooooo!!

Home at last, the three of you will be home at last.

(Don't forget to liberate as many of those stripey cloths as possible when you're packing them up *ahem*)

You have a gorgeous family, Chris. Seriously, Congratulations and bless you all.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 25, 2005 1:46 PM

RAH for MIA!

Can't wait for more pictures!

Posted by: Snidget at July 25, 2005 2:33 PM

i wasn't around at the time to comment but Congrats to the new Mom & Dad. That is a beautiful name for a beautiful bean. Best wishes [that sounds like we'll never keep in touch or whatever but that's not true]. I look forward to watching you all grow together! [no need to response to this comment ;)]

Posted by: angel at July 25, 2005 2:34 PM

I LOVE the name you have picked for her! Congrats again!

Posted by: Mandy at July 25, 2005 2:54 PM

Congratulations to you and Beth!! Your baby is so pretty! (I saw her over on Beth's site, too...) I'm so happy for you guys!

Posted by: Empress at July 25, 2005 3:03 PM

Good to see that you're still alive and kicking, although not getting any sleep.

Dang, that is one beautiful baby! Take care of yourself so you can take care of your wife and your daughter. There's no point in running yourself into the ground because then you'll be taking care of a hormonal, exhausted, sore wife and stressed out baby girl all while wishing you could just lay down and sleep.

Hugs to you all.

Amy

Posted by: zanie at July 25, 2005 3:49 PM

Sorry I'm late with the congratulations, but I wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you and I hope everything continues going fantastically! Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you all! Welcome to the world, Mia Cactus-Fish!

Posted by: Heather at July 25, 2005 6:46 PM

CONGRATS! I am so happy for you. Mia is a lovely name and she is absolutley beautiful! Welcome to fatherhood.

Posted by: matt at July 25, 2005 6:52 PM

No smart-ass comments today- just congratulations!

I'm really glad to hear everyone came through it well and that everyone's healthy.

Congratulations, Mom and Dad.

Posted by: Bonanza Jellybean at July 25, 2005 10:12 PM

so very happy for you both!!!

welcome to the world of parenting...its amazing

Posted by: beautiful face at July 26, 2005 12:31 AM

Thanks for the updates! It's so special to be part of this special time in your life (eventhough there's like an ocean between us :)). Hugs to Mia & Beth!

Posted by: Sweety at July 26, 2005 1:08 AM

I totally love the name Mia.. :)

Posted by: Lauren at July 26, 2005 8:33 AM

Once again, Mia is a GORGEOUS girl, and you are going to be the best dad! Congrats Daddy!

Posted by: Katie-be-bored-at-work at July 26, 2005 10:58 AM

A mia farrow! Hilarious!!

Major major congrats on your miracle--- hope the week is going really well.

Posted by: bluepoppy at July 26, 2005 11:01 AM

A person can't even get on to Beth's site to comment. But my response to her saying that you are her savior is this: NOW you know the meaning of hot, torrid, passionate, breath-taking, heart pounding love.

And after 25 years I have the same two words for her: zinc oxide. Yes, that white stuff you put on your nose at Sun Valley. zinc oxide.

Posted by: vicki at July 26, 2005 8:17 PM

I am so glad to hear everyone is healthy and happy. Congratulations to your beautiful little family.

Posted by: Nicole at July 26, 2005 9:51 PM

No worries about a personal reply, just enjoy your new baby and your wife...:)

Posted by: Beanhead at July 26, 2005 11:20 PM

She is so beuatiful and you are so blessed, way to go daddy :-)

Posted by: Nina at July 26, 2005 11:55 PM

Much congrats to you both (or should it be "to you three?" Do you congratulate a baby for being born? Gah)! The photos are adorable and I am so happy for you all. :)

Posted by: supine at July 27, 2005 12:31 AM

Well, after having just had your first child this is no time for me to tell you how I just foudn your site and am digging on its goodness. TONS of congratulations on the new addition to the family, too!

Posted by: Chris at July 27, 2005 5:48 AM

Contratulations! You are off to a great start on the wonderful journey that lies ahead!

Posted by: molly at July 27, 2005 10:07 AM