July 12, 2005

Why Do I Worry?

I don't know why. But I do. I'm actually pretty rough on myself in that respect. I put tons of pressure on myself for that presentation this afternoon...that went exceptionally well. After that? My day seemed all rainbows and puppies and stuff.

That's my report from the front today. Oh, that and the fact that my wife is trying to bribe our cat. She's promised him a whole flounder if he stops peeing on stuff. While I think its noble, I'm trying not to disappoint by mentioning the fact that he doesn't undertand English. Or if he does, he's a really tough bargainer with a bitchin' poker face. He didn't budge an inch when she mentioned the flounder.

Posted by Chris at July 12, 2005 7:34 PM
Comments

We have a similar problem with Yoda, who pees on the bed. The kitties are no longer allowed in the bedroom, making for grumpy kitties, and a grumpy mommy.

Strangly, our cats don't like fish. Maybe a nice porterhouse steak bribe would do the trick!

Oh, and congrats on the success today. You deserve it!

Posted by: Heather at July 12, 2005 7:55 PM

This kitty is a he? Has he previously used the box just fine? If yes, she'd probably get further by promising him a trip in the kitty carrier to his friendly vet. It's about 90% certain that he's got a urinary tract issue if this is a new or occasional problem. He may need a change in diet and/or antibiotic and he won't use the box until it's better because he associates it with pain. Just an educated guess...

Posted by: Vicki at July 12, 2005 8:33 PM

yeah. and i bet he probably still pissed on your furniture and stuff.

Posted by: Kymmie at July 12, 2005 9:13 PM

LOL Poor little flounder!

Posted by: Queen Of Ass at July 12, 2005 9:46 PM

Only YOU could write this post- patting yourself on the back without sounding AT ALL like you're arrogant or self-righteous, just making all of us feel proud and happy for you. And to relate to us the dilemma, involving of all things- cat piss! for crying outloud- with such eloquence and humor... just goes to show exactly why I aspire to write half as well as you when I grow up. And why I come here every single day and can't function properly if I don't...
Sorry, no advice for you but JuJu could entertain you with some amusing cat/pregnancy tales.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at July 12, 2005 9:50 PM

Yeah, wot Vicki said. FUS or some such urinary thing. Oh, and for cleaning the pee...lots and lots of vinegar and baking soda.

Posted by: jen at July 12, 2005 10:00 PM

oh man, let me know if that works.

Posted by: jodi at July 12, 2005 10:03 PM

uhm yeah. Everytime one of our cats pees on stuff, like the CLEAN laundry ::why can't he for once do it on the dirty laundry, I mean, I have to wash it anyway!::, I imagine him peeing and thinking, "Mine" oh and that too, "Mine". Ugh =)

Posted by: Lauren at July 12, 2005 10:05 PM

He's just "marking his territory", and apparently, everything is his, and you are guests in his home. ;)

Posted by: ann marie at July 12, 2005 11:00 PM

I've heard cats are quite exceptional poker players.

Posted by: Jessica at July 13, 2005 2:35 AM

I think without the horror, you know, the anticipation part...right before something significant, we don't appreciate said significant event. Did that make sense? Because it's after 1 am here in beautiful smog filled L.A. and I'm a little sleepy. What I think I mean is, I need to worry before something happens, like say, a PLANE RIDE...or the event for me, just won't work out. OH and it sounds like your cat is making sure the Lima Bean won't try to take over its space :) I don't think the fish will work in this case, sorry!

Posted by: Kate at July 13, 2005 4:25 AM

The kitty problem is one I've also experienced (before our 18 yr old kitty died this year) and gone nuts over. People gave me all kinds of explanations for kitty's behavior: I had painted the halls and living room and was told she probably didn't like the smell/change in the house -you guys have painting recently too, no?; I changed brands of litter -How dare I save a buck, eh? Apparently according to my wise advisors, I should have made that change by grandually introducing the new brand into a larger amount of the old brand; Household changes -right before we moved and with all the boxes being packed up, Kitty was peeing on everything -particularly my (not hubby's) pillows and bedding -apparently it was all my fault; and of course the urinary health issue. I still believe she was just trying to teach me a lesson -I was the one daring to pack up Kitty's house, I was the one who dared paint her sacred Kitty halls, I was the one who changed her brand of litter and inevitably I was the one who had all the extra pee clean up to do. AND her interest in peeing particularly on MY things just convinced me that Kitty was punishing me. But I'm a little paranoid anyway.

Posted by: HR Mommy at July 13, 2005 7:23 AM

First, cats pee on absorbent surfaces usually because they have a urinary tract infection. Cats HATE to pee anywhere but the box, but if it hurts them to go, they will press their furry behinds up against something soft to ease the pain. So chances are a cat who has decided not to use the box first and foremost might have a healthy problem. Have him/her checked for a UTI or urine crystals, and if the vet bill is outside your abilities at present, there are a bunch of different remedies available. We've had success with a homeopathic remedy of poison ivy pills (swear it's true) and a mixture called Urtica Urens.

We have a cat who refuses the litter because he is scared of it and hates to touch it. When he poops, he balances on the edge of the box with all four paws and drops turds from an amazing height. He also pees in empty litter boxes filled with puppy training pads, which he likes a lot because it has no litter in it. We've had him checked for UTIs and he's ok, but in short, he's just a freak. So once you've ruled out UTI or anything renal, try puppy pads and slowly move them down to where you want the cat to go.

Worst case scenario, you might have some success retraining your cat to go in the litter by placing the cat in a small confined space with the litter box and making him stay in there. Then slowly give him more room. I have never been able to bring myself to do this, myself.

And now that y'all think I'm a crazy cat lady, I'll shut up now.

Posted by: Sarah at July 13, 2005 10:17 AM

i was going to suggest what's already been suggested -- the cat needs to go to the vet. cats mark their territory by rubbing on things, not peeing, at least not from what I've heard and it's not like you just moved into this house. i'm sure i don't need to tell you because i know you guys love your cats, but an untreated UTI in a cat can be very serious.

Posted by: laura at July 13, 2005 11:22 AM

my cat doesn't pee on stuff, he just bounces off the walls and munches on my feet while i sleep. the peeing would be bad.

Posted by: tiffanie at July 13, 2005 7:30 PM

i think that is a world wide cat trick, they like to drive the hard bargains.

Posted by: angel at July 14, 2005 10:49 PM

I *feel* your pain. I have three cats, and I know for sure two are pissing on things, but they swap back and forth on who does it when, so I can't figure out which one to kill. And by kill I mean flick the cat on the nose then bury the nose in the pissed on whatever. Plus I have the unknown factor of that third cat...could he be the third amigo? Undercover cat, secretly peeing and acting coy? Why do they have to piss on the expensive and/or new stuff? EVERYTIME. GAH.

Posted by: myllissa at July 16, 2005 12:09 AM