August 4, 2005

It's Not All Staring At the Baby

It's been almost two weeks since Mia came into the world. Two weeks of haning around, staring at her (she's going to develop a complex, I know) and taking care of Beth. I've done somewhere around 3,491 loads of laundry, seemingly cleaned the house from top to bottom a dozen times a day and spent more time than anyone actually should at Babies R Us.

Aside: I was in Babies R Us the other day and saw a kid that absolutely freaked my ass out. He couldn't have been older than a year, yet he looked like a fully grown 30 year-old human. He had this stare, which he aimed at me, that looked positively psychopathic. It was odd. Very odd.

Anyway, I have been doing some other things, aside from staring at the baby and doing housework, largely entertaining myself through books and music.

I finally managed to finish Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. No, keep reading. There won't be any spoilers. While most people seemed to have been shocked by the ending, I really wasn't. I was expecting something like it. Did I like it? Yeah. It wasn't as strong as the last two but it was still good. There didn't seem to me to be quite as much substance to it as the last few books but it was still decent. I continued down the path to utter brainlessness (not that Harry Potter was a stepping stone) and picked up James Rollins' Sandstorm. I know, I know...I was a little surprised too, since I reamed him and one of his earlier novels last month. This one was decent, especially if you're just looking for entertainment and don't want to use more than 20% of your intellectual capacity. Which I didn't. I'm sleep-deprived, people.

Now, music. I'm currently loving the mellow, laid back Shangri-La by Mark Knopfler. To me, there's no better guitarist out there than Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour. Mark Knopfler runs a close second. His guitar work is terribly understated and sometimes you just wish he'd break out a loud solo. But he doesn't. What he gives is subtle yet gorgeous. Two Conversations from The Appleseed Cast has also been high on the playlist. Alternative? Indie? Emo? Check. All of the above. But also unique. Give them a try if you're out for something different. And, if you want something completely different, I've been totally unable to get The Widow by Mars Volta (from the album Frances the Mute) out of my head. Same goes for Imogen Heap's (singer for Garden State soundtrack break-out artist Frou Frou) latest single Hide and Seek. Sadly it looks as though its only available in the States via iTunes. Definitely check it out.

Now that I've hopefully shared a little insight with you, can someone please let me know how an 8 pound infant somehow generates 4.5 cubic tons of laundry a day?

Posted by Chris at August 4, 2005 11:07 AM
Comments

Yay for Mia almost at the 2 week point! That pic by the way is absolutely adorable.

My mom said she wasn't surprised by the ending of HP6 either. I haven't read it yet, and it may be a while as I have to read HP5 and catch up. ;p

Posted by: Kitty at August 4, 2005 11:13 AM

Gorgeous girl!

Two things:

First, book suggestions: Christopher Moore's Fluke. It is the first book I've read by him and loved the quirky, sarcastic nature of his writing. Devil in the White City is fantastic as well. I never imagined that a person could write history like fiction, but this book shows it is possible. Don't know if it translates well to the sleep-deprived crowd, tho.

Second, Mark Knopfler: Is it just me or does his voice make other knees buckle inducing a swoon of sorts. I swear, Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits makes me melt... in a love gone wrong sort of way. I'll have to chck out Shangri-La!

Posted by: SueBec at August 4, 2005 11:18 AM

Funny you should say that about "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." I found it a little lacking compared to the first two novels. There was very little surprise there for me. It really seemed almost predictable.

Posted by: hr mommy at August 4, 2005 11:23 AM

It's a good thing your posts include the parts about not sleeping and doing interminable amounts of laundry. Otherwise, those pictures of Mia would make me forget why I'm not ready for another newborn! Must...keep...taking...pills.

Posted by: Julie at August 4, 2005 11:31 AM

Why would you want to do anything else besides stare at The Mia? ;)

Will definitely have to check out this Mark Knopfler person. Gilmour needs a successor, I suppose.

And as to HP #6 - I thought it was strong, but maybe it's just because I liked Harry a little more than the last one - and it had an air of the inevitable about it, but I was just hoping against hope at the end.

Posted by: samantha at August 4, 2005 11:37 AM

Mia is gorgeous, just like her parents.

Are you just joking about the little one year old 30 yeard old baby in the babier r us? I've seen a weird illness on Oprah where people just grow old like 100 times faster than other human beings. Very freaky.

I'm glad you didn't spoil the HP book :) I'm reading it right now.

Posted by: Sweety at August 4, 2005 11:53 AM

Better make sure to get that psychopath kiddo's name...don't want Mia bringing him home in 16 years!

Babies and laundry/clothes...I think its like hummingbirds and eating...the smaller you are, the more of something you need is necessary.

Posted by: christina at August 4, 2005 11:55 AM

You gotta read "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell". It really sneaks up on you. Unlike the anvils Rowling drops on you in the latest Potter. IMHO the third Potter is the best in the series (both the movie - David Thewlis and Gary Oldman were perfectly cast - and the book).

Posted by: Jason at August 4, 2005 12:10 PM

Mia - beautiful. Really. Is there anything else to say? Aren't babies angelic when they sleep?

Harry Potter - haven't read it.

David Gilmour - guitar god.

Mark Knopfler - guitar demi-god.

Mars Volta - sucks ass. I hate that band with the white hot intensity of 1,000 suns. Why? Why? Why? I dont' know, but arrrrgggh. I want to put an icepick in my ears when I hear them. Ever had that experience?

I don't have a comment on the rest but I always enjoy your opinions on books, music and beautiful babies. Also, a psychopathic kid now and again!

Posted by: Ms. Q at August 4, 2005 12:31 PM

I have been listening to Shangri La for some time now. Didn't even know he had a new CD coming out until I was browsing in the CD store. I love his music. I recently listened to his older solo cd Golden Heart and I can't believe how I instantly loved that one. Played it for the wife and she likes it too.

Will have to check the other ones you mentioned out too.

Take care you guys. It DOES get somewhat easier. Once you get accustomed to the sleep deprivation and once you get comfortable with thinking you are going insane, then you are over the hump and things will seem easier from that point on. My son is going to be 17 so I am now dealing with a whole other set of problems these days.

Posted by: Mike at August 4, 2005 12:38 PM

One of the last Hitchhiker's Guide books goes into a good bit of detail about why Mark Knopfler should be a sex god. You should read it.

As for the laundry, I promise you that it's not the 8 pound baby, but the slightly larger parents who generate it. You wil start changing her less one day, you truly will.

Posted by: shannon at August 4, 2005 12:41 PM

For a new bunch of songs that should have you dancing around the house while doing 4.5 cubic tons of laundry, I'd suggest Tullycraft's new "Disenchanted Hearts Unite." Especially the song "Our Nights in Kansas." Seriously.

Posted by: samantha at August 4, 2005 12:50 PM

Mia is so gorgeous! I can't believe it has already been two weeks! Time really flies when you are sleep-deprived, huh? ;-)

That 30 year old looking baby sounds freaky. some kids just have that wisened look to them, and it scares the crap out of me!

Posted by: Katie-be-bored-at-work at August 4, 2005 12:54 PM

Isn't the laundry amazing?? I need stock in TIDE. She is just gorgeous, Chris.

Posted by: JuJuBee at August 4, 2005 12:55 PM

Mia is adorable beyond words. You guys are so lucky :)

Posted by: ava at August 4, 2005 1:05 PM

I haven't read the new Harry book yet. I always check them out at the library, and right now, I'm pretty sure it's checked out. I figured I'd wait a while and let the kids at it first. I'm a big girl--I can wait. Heh.

Anyway, just wanted to say that Mia is sooooo pretty. Just like her mama, no? :)

Posted by: Spring at August 4, 2005 1:14 PM

Holy crap, has it really been 2 weeks already? Why do I feel no closer to having this baby than I did when you guys had yours? NO FAIR!
Oh, and I know that infant laundry sucks ass, but just wait until she starts eating real food and you're washing 5 outfits a day. Or when she starts potty training and PEES ON EVERYTHING. Or goes outside and makes mud pies in the outfit you just changed her into. FUN FUN FUN.
But yeah, I do not miss the days of having to wash my daughter's clothes with Dreft, seperately from all of ours. And I do not look forward to those days soon to come again. Although I do, 'cause that means I WON'T BE PREGNANT ANYMORE! WHEEEE!!!

(PS - she's beautiful!)

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at August 4, 2005 1:22 PM

hate to tell you this--- the laundry situation doesn't get any better, in my experience..

she is gorgeous!!

Posted by: cmhl at August 4, 2005 1:33 PM

every picture i've seen of mia so far is definitely print-and-frame-worthy! i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have any wallspace without pictures hanging on it!

Posted by: tiffanie at August 4, 2005 1:59 PM

Cha, the laundry. Before Molly was born we wondered how on earth we were actually going to use the fourteen baby gowns we had. When she was four days old, we had our answer.

And if it's not ALL staring at the baby, it should MOSTLY be staring at the baby. Because you're going to blink and then she's going to say to you, "I'm going to Khalista's birthday party next week, DUH".

Posted by: Stacy at August 4, 2005 2:09 PM

Hooray for two weeks! She should start settling down and not be the spastic newborn quite so much. I mean, really, can you imagine the HUGE change that she's had to go through?

And just remember that right now, what Mia wants is what Mia NEEDS. You cannot spoil her right now. Just keep saying that to yourself when she won't stop crying in the middle of the night. :-)

What a beautiful picture. She looks so much like Beth but I see so much of you too. I'll bet that changes every day.

Man, I just want to hold her!

Posted by: zanie at August 4, 2005 2:35 PM

Laundry? Spit up. Spit down. Slobber. Food. Spit up. Spit Down. Slobber. Food. Rinse, repeat.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at August 4, 2005 2:38 PM

And why do you end up with the freaky people???

Posted by: zanie at August 4, 2005 2:40 PM

Beautiful. *sigh* I'm so happy your sleep-deprived brain is still finding time to enjoy some of the things you enjoy in life - reading and music. Mis is going to grow up with a very full library of music and books to turn to. Of course she'll probably rebel and listen to N*Sync and read Harlequins. ;-) doh!

Posted by: carrster at August 4, 2005 2:44 PM

Okay, she looks adorable. Even I have to admit that. For a second I had the urge to rush out and procreate so I could have one too. Then I read the post and the cleaning and cooking and constant laundry and the urge went away. Phew!

Posted by: Grace at August 4, 2005 3:09 PM

Some friends of mine jsut saw Mark Knopfler at REd Rocks and were blown away. They said the live show made the CD sounds like beginner's stuff. Try to catch him live if he comes your way.

Don't even get me started on laundry...

I wasn't surprised by HP6 ending either. I was happy that Harry finally seemed to be out of his whiny stage. HP5 made me much more sad...And I agree, for 600 pages, not a lot really happened...

Posted by: Amy at August 4, 2005 3:31 PM

I'm re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, somehow it isn't as funny as I remembered it.

Posted by: Ginny at August 4, 2005 4:46 PM

Holy comments, batman. I've been reading through the RSS feed, so I haven't been by to see JUST HOW MANY you get now.

Anyway. Back to the comment I meant to leave. That song by Imogen Heap? It was in the finale of last season's O.C., and when I said, "I kinda like this song," everyone else gave me that "I smelled something nasty" face. One of the two girls who were vocal about hating it just came up and said, "hey, have you heard that Hide and Seek song? You have it on your iTunes don't you? It's great!"

Must. Refrain. From. Flipping. Out.

Posted by: Anne at August 4, 2005 4:54 PM

What an adorable picture.

Glad you didn't spoil HP6 as I'm in the middle of reading it right now.

Posted by: Adi at August 4, 2005 5:43 PM

Aww...cute picture. I have to say I like doing laundry more than dishes and general cleaning up of the house. Heh. As for HP6, you've read my reaction. I wasn't surprised, but I was surprised by who did it. But like I said, I suspect more things wicked this way come. I still haven't been able to crack into Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I have had it since Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Oakley at August 4, 2005 5:46 PM

Such a pretty baby... almost as pretty as mine were. *wink*
(I have to say that; I'm their mother.)

Posted by: mooalex at August 4, 2005 6:15 PM

i totally agree about the half-blood prince book. the fourth book is still my favorite. the sixth book seems as if it was written by someone else. also... the table of contents gives away "the ending". (i made the mistake of reading the chapter titles while i was waiting to buy the book.) most of the ending wasn't shocking for me. i cant really comment anymore without giving too much away.

Posted by: Denise at August 4, 2005 6:39 PM

Yeah, my (childless as of yet) sister and her husband are amazed by the amount of laundry we have, but when there are 2 adults and 4 children...well, it piles up.

Also. Do you EVER sit and mindlessly watch tv, or must you always challenge your mind with reading, music, or baby watching? C'mon. Just a M*A*S*H rerun or two?

Posted by: angela marie at August 4, 2005 8:58 PM

She.
Is.
Magnificently.
Beautiful.

Posted by: bhd at August 4, 2005 9:39 PM

For the record...you do have a cute baby...and no, I am not just saying that...be proud you have a cute baby....unlike the unfortunates who have ugly babies...that only a mother could love....way to go! cute kid! If you ever need a babysitter and alektra and I happen to be nearby....we will totally babysit for you....I admit, I am not so qualified, but alektra is good at this stuff....just let us know...
take care
hope all is well....you are a father...I know, must still be weird to think of....
the boy...

Posted by: alektra's boy at August 4, 2005 9:48 PM

She is SOOOOOO cute! I know you get that all the time!

Posted by: Mandy at August 5, 2005 12:11 AM

My Boy is out of his mind except for one thing:

Mia is lovely. Of course, two good-looking parents sometimes DO have beautiful children. And yay! It worked.

But the important thing? She looks extremely healthy and content. Very good parents, if you can manage that for even a snapshot at her age. Much love and hugs to you three.

(We do babysit quite a bit, mainly because I have lots of friends in the area with bitty kids and digital cable. We'd forego the digital cable for Mia, but yeah, we should actually MEET in PERSON a few times first.)

Posted by: alektra at August 5, 2005 6:27 AM

That baby of yours is gonna think she's a star model by the time she's an adult. Why? She has an awesome photographer dad. She'll have a professional photo portfolio in, oh say, another week or so.

Keep 'em comin'!

Posted by: ironic1 at August 5, 2005 6:45 AM

You are the second person I know who has a brand new baby and has finished the new Harry Potter book. I am such a slacker! She is beautiful, I think you should keep staring.

Posted by: Nicole at August 5, 2005 7:44 AM

I bought the new HP for My Kid, but I was planning to maybe read it myself. So here's a question for you: If I've never read any of the previous HP books (but seen a couple of the movies) will I still like it? Will I still care about whoever it is that dies in the end?

Posted by: kalisah at August 5, 2005 10:57 AM

This is why I have two dryers.

Three boys= laundry piles visible from space. I wish I could say it got better, but it doesn't. :=p

Posted by: lucy at August 5, 2005 1:26 PM

She's really beautiful!

Posted by: Mala at August 5, 2005 4:31 PM

Rollins is a guilty pleasure of mine - his stories are so completely unbelievably with these flat paper-thin characters and non-stop action. The action gets me every time.

Same goes for Clive Cussler. Although - his novels are better written than Rollins's.

Posted by: Mala at August 5, 2005 4:35 PM

Imogen, i have her entire new album. i ordered via internet as soon as it was released in europe. it's great! well worth purchasing! i am a huge fan of her earlier work - angry angel...etc. you can check it all out on her website too!

Posted by: at August 8, 2005 3:57 PM

oh yeah that was me btw. i thought all my info was all ready saved. :/

Posted by: angel at August 8, 2005 3:57 PM