August 3, 2005

Sleep (Or Lack Of), Coffee and Running

Hi. So, yeah, its 6:15 and I've already been up for two hours. Don't look at me like that. It wasn't my choice. This one is all Mia. The early morning hours went something like put baby in basinet...fall asleep for approximately 3.19 minutes...awake to screaming baby...pick up baby...lather, rinse, repeat. So, Mia and I are here. Where are you?

In other news, you should know by now that I have the willpower of Robert Downey Jr. in a crackhouse. So its all the more surprising that I, hater of all exercise, bought a pair of running shoes yesterday. I mean, I'm the guy who belonged to an expensive gym for a year and went four times. I guess that means I actually have to get off my ass, strap those babies on and do some running. I'm cool with that but is it totally wrong to take a bottle of coffee with me instead of water?

Must. Get. Coffee. Good morning to you all. I hope you got more sleep than I.

Posted by Chris at August 3, 2005 6:26 AM
Comments

I am not laughing at you, really. I am laughing with you. It's either laugh or cry right? =)

When the kids were babies I perfected the sitting up sleep. You sit, with infant in arms, and snooze. =)

And coffee? Yes, definitely. Get thee some coffee, Man!!! =)

Have a great day.

Posted by: Lauren at August 3, 2005 6:42 AM

I don't say I know how tired you are right now. I can't even imagine (it's actually what I'm afraid of most about having kids). But I am so excited for you! As for the running? I wouldn't do it till you actually get some sleep.

Posted by: alektra at August 3, 2005 6:53 AM

When I started running, I was all about the "mantras" -- things I would repeat to myself over and over while on the run to help get myself through it. I imagine a great mantra for your first few would be: "Since I'm running, I'm not holding a diaper of poop. Since I'm running, I'm not holidng a diaper of poop...."

Posted by: susannah at August 3, 2005 7:02 AM

Oh poor thing, I hate waking up early when it's not my choice! Then again, you could have had my night last night, I tossed and turned for no reason ick!!!!

Posted by: Nina at August 3, 2005 7:29 AM

Yep, and now you need a jogging stoller. The expense never ends! And you know, she would probably sleep through the run too. (I'm sure them make them now for new infants too?)

Posted by: Amber at August 3, 2005 7:46 AM

Um... stroller and they *eye roll*

Posted by: Amber at August 3, 2005 7:47 AM

i think i got about two more hours than you ... but i got up to go to the expensive gym. LOL!

Posted by: tj at August 3, 2005 7:48 AM

Y'know... I *did* get more sleep, but man... am I tired this morning.

And you sound like a runner after my own heart. ;)

Posted by: Jessa at August 3, 2005 7:50 AM

I too am awake and tired... someone messaged me at 7:40 am.... guess who? A parent with wee ones... ;) You people work on such a different schedule.

I want to run again.... *sigh*

Posted by: Autumn at August 3, 2005 8:05 AM

were we in that crackhouse together last weekend... I sooo bought a necklace I should have waited to get.

Here is to getting a babysitter for hours of sleep.

Posted by: stinkerbell at August 3, 2005 8:28 AM

hang in there...it'll get better. Nice to see that you're helping out & taking your turns at the early mornings.

Posted by: kalisah at August 3, 2005 8:29 AM

I was a life-long running-hater, until this spring. Be careful, Chris, it's hard to break out of the running cult once they pull you in...

Posted by: SpaceCase at August 3, 2005 8:38 AM

coffee while running may sound absurd but I think that is what these crazy Bostonians do on a daily. heheheheheh

Mia please go to sleep for your mommy and daddy before they lose their minds. ;) This to will pass.

Hugs, Zissy

Posted by: Zissy at August 3, 2005 8:55 AM

Take Mia running(with her in the pram though), she might enjoy it. I know the outdoors always settled my girls when they were young.
They do sleep more the older they get!

Posted by: Judith at August 3, 2005 9:07 AM

I will admit I was a lazy mother: I nursed them all night so I could at least doze lying down. What a great dad you are to take night duty!!!

The running thing is great. But definitely drink coffee first.

Posted by: jen at August 3, 2005 9:38 AM

ah. i remember those days well. sleep when you can. its going to be a long couple of months. But cherish each moment. They get big mighty quick!

;-)

Posted by: melanie at August 3, 2005 9:46 AM

it absolutely does NOT mean you have to strap those things on and go RUNNING. you could strap those shoes on and eat ice cream while you watch the discovery channel. in fact... they will probably last longer that way. and that SAVES MONEY. which is a good thing.

Posted by: jodi at August 3, 2005 9:57 AM

Sorry you had a bad night/morning. I hear it gets better.

Yay for you buying running shoes! You're way ahead of me, just thinking about running makes me cringe. But I do get exercise running around/playing with the dogs and mowing the lawn, so that counts, right?

Posted by: Kitty at August 3, 2005 10:12 AM

Aren't babies fun? Aren't you having a great time? Besides, sleep's over-rated. Unless, of course, you're actually into functioning during the day.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at August 3, 2005 10:12 AM

>> Don't look at me like that. It wasn't my choice.

Oh yes it was! ;)
(albeit indirectly!)

Posted by: Tonya at August 3, 2005 10:17 AM

Shit. My youngest apparently got the 4 am memo from Mia. I've been up swilling coffee since before dawn.

Posted by: Jenny at August 3, 2005 10:23 AM

Ahhhhh...just the post I was waiting for.
At the first whiff of baby-powder in my house, I 'd be the one with running shoes on....headed straight for the airport!
Stay strong, stay caffienated, and buy stock in Visine. Only a few more years to go!

Posted by: Geezitron at August 3, 2005 10:36 AM

I'm here! Behind my desk. I only have to work for another 20 minutes. *waves*

Good for you for starting to run. Good luck with that!

Posted by: Sweety at August 3, 2005 10:39 AM

My biggest savior durning those early months was walking in the early mornings. She would be a little cranky after her 4:00am bottle so we hit the door around 5:30am every morning. The wind and sun did wonders on her tears. Maybe putting those running shoes to work isn't a bad idea!

Posted by: trb at August 3, 2005 10:47 AM

You could start running. Or get an Xbox. Decisions, decisions.

Posted by: Jason at August 3, 2005 10:48 AM

Ah yes...I remember those days...in fact it was just last night! Lil Sis had a rough night and I feel like I've been through the ringer myself.

Props to you for taking your turn with the screaming infant.

Just remember that they sleep about 20 hours a day. Next time she falls asleep, fall asleep with her.

Posted by: zanie at August 3, 2005 11:27 AM

Aw, you poor sleep-deprived guy. Hint: Take advantage of any family members who are just *dying* to babysit. I'm sure there are a few.

Posted by: Spring at August 3, 2005 11:36 AM

hmmm coffee doesnt cut it... I say Red bull and vodka might do the trick....lol I kid!

Just think this will only get better!

Posted by: Veronica at August 3, 2005 11:47 AM

Wait. Why did you buy running shoes? What time do you have for exercising?

Posted by: Jessica at August 3, 2005 12:05 PM

I always have coffee before a run, I have heard you actually will run longer if you do that...makes sense, no? So glad to finally know there are others not sleeping, like me (she fooled us with those couple nights of good sleep).

Posted by: JuJuBee at August 3, 2005 12:25 PM

I can honestly say working out is worth it. Hard to get started, but once you do, SO worth it. I'm an exercise junkie though, so you might not want to listen to me. My credo is "I can't do anything after work until I go to the gym first."

Posted by: amy at August 3, 2005 12:37 PM

Uh -- get yourself one of those 3-wheel streamlined strollers --- hook yourself up to an iPod - or Shuffle -- and RUN Mia around the 'hood --- That ought to get your heart pumping --- Oh --- crank on some Ozzy --- LOUD... yep -- that should do it...

Posted by: bob at August 3, 2005 12:57 PM

I am going to make sure I sleep a lot now! If your wife is breastfeeding that means waking up every two hours right? Does she express the milk so you can feed?

Posted by: mrsmogul at August 3, 2005 2:56 PM

yep, you have to get a jogging stroller (all the cool kids have them) and then jog young Mia to your local coffee establishment for some serious daddy-daughter bonding

Posted by: Kathryn at August 3, 2005 2:57 PM

Hmmmmm... You're making me wonder if I hadn't ought to cross my legs really tight and just keep holding Baby V.J. in for a few more years. LOL

Posted by: hr mommy at August 3, 2005 3:13 PM

Here's the deal...

Drink some coffee...

Run until you have to pee...

Pee... (cuz you're a boy you can do this anywhere right?)

Run back home...

Drink lots of water followed by more coffee...

Pee many more times throughout the day (hopefully in a proper restroom this time)...

Posted by: Amy at August 3, 2005 3:43 PM

Welcome to parenthood. And believe it or not, every bit of it is worthwhile. That might be difficult to keep sight of after 3.19 minutes of sleep.

Posted by: cassie-b at August 3, 2005 4:00 PM

Aw, so sorry about the lack of sleep. That's one of the main reasons I don't think I could ever be a parent. When I don't sleep, I get very cranky very quickly.

Posted by: Kerry at August 3, 2005 5:54 PM

Yes, I dare say it is wrong of you, and I'm sure not very refreshing or hydrating either!

Posted by: Jay at August 3, 2005 6:32 PM

Hi Chris, maybe you can get a rocking cradle/bassinet or put Mia in a baby stroller and push her around a bit..babies tend to fall asleep soon enough with the regular rhythms.

Posted by: Jo at August 3, 2005 9:04 PM

Well good EVENING to you sir. I caught your act a little late today because I was beachin' it all day. At 6 something your time I was fast asleep...heck, at six something MY time I was fast asleep. But you got a Mia and I don't! :) Good luck with the running thing, I run...but only when chased! (hee!) Cya tomorrow...same bat channel!

Posted by: Kate at August 3, 2005 10:12 PM

What the hell do you mean, you have to go running now that you've bought the shoes? The shoes are for the pretty- not to run around in and get all dirty and sweaty. You get dirty and sweaty in the cheap shoes!

Posted by: Nic at August 4, 2005 6:59 AM

Running will give you a few precious moments of solitude AND will help give you the endurance required to be up at all hours with an infant.

Your baby's mama? She may want to hurl soiled diapers at you for leaving her alone with said child.

Posted by: Meghan at August 4, 2005 9:32 AM

New reader here! First of all, Mia is beautiful. Second of all, coffee is a necessity. If I could walk around with a coffee IV all day, I would.

Also, I have been a member of a fairly expensive gym but not so expensive for me because of an employer discount for almost a year. I have gone...ten times? I think. heh Motivation is not my forte.

Posted by: Rhonda at August 4, 2005 11:07 AM

I got The Happiest Baby on the Block at the library last friday, after reading the reviews on Amazon. My baby's five weeks, I found it very useful for getting her settled. It has diagrammed instructions for swaddling, and it turns out she loves to be swaddled. Of course I'm invoking the Parent Jinx here in a big way. But she's sleeping longer and she'll get all zen-like during dinnertime, rather than the usual kvetching. Best thing I've tried for infants, and this is No. 3 for me.

It's on DVD too. Good luck!

Posted by: Kris at August 4, 2005 10:12 PM