September 29, 2005

Generations

I've been sitting downstairs listening to stories from four generations of women in my family. Well, to be fair, Mia didn't have much to contribute but the rest of the convened family did. Its interesting, although a bit like waking up to find yourself on an episode of The View.

My parents rented the house Beth and I usually stay in - which is why the pictures I eventually get around to posting may look slightly familiar - and brought my grandmother, aunt and cousin down to stay. They're falling over themselves trying to get acquainted with Mia while Beth and I are trying to squeeze in a little relaxation.

I'm trying to avoid being around when Beth's request from last night is eventually honored. Let's all tell stories about Chris growing up she encouraged. And they will. Families are all about stories. And that's okay. We're constantly making more. Like the time when Beth and I showed Mia the edge of the continent this morning. Sure, she was mostly asleep but maybe some day, in some house on some beach, Beth and I will be the old folks in the room and we'll tell Mia and her kids about this day.

Posted by Chris at September 29, 2005 2:29 PM
Comments

Man, story time can be rough...And just think they get to be repeated when Mia is old enough to understand them! lol
By the way, I LOVE the silhouette mohawk she's sporting.

Posted by: Jessica at September 29, 2005 2:44 PM

I love hearing stories about my husband when he was a kid. And even though I wasn't there, there are a few I don't let him forget about either, muhahahaha.

Posted by: Spring at September 29, 2005 2:46 PM

Beth and I showed Mia the edge of the continent this morning.

Goddamnit that's awesome.

Posted by: Pammer at September 29, 2005 2:48 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't read this post, because I could not tear my eyes away from the GORGEOUS CUTEY PIE LITTLE NEW BABY FUZZY HAIR NUZZLER! Sigh!!! What a sweet photo!

Posted by: Eve at September 29, 2005 3:32 PM

Came by as my coworkers are walking past my cube from lunch. The picture brought a resounding Awwwwwww. Yeah. Mia's hair should have its own billing. :)

Wait. WTF are you doing on the computer??? There's the beach and the baby and the baby's mama! Choo! Go away now, Chris!

Posted by: Oakley at September 29, 2005 5:00 PM

Family story time is fun, even if you end up being the victim.
And I still can't get over that hair! It's like she's a fuzzy little ducky. :) You should go get the "Bad Hair Day" onesie from RSM for Mia. It matches her hair.

Posted by: Kitty at September 29, 2005 5:11 PM

I must agree with Oakley, step away from the computer and go be with your beautiful family, the beach background makes me jealous! :)

Posted by: Dana at September 29, 2005 6:53 PM

Oh yes, love me some stories to tell the kids one day.

Posted by: Theresa at September 29, 2005 7:06 PM

Aww... now THAT is what it's all about!

Posted by: Amber at September 29, 2005 7:25 PM

Stories are great. Stories and pictures. Love 'em. And the edge of the continent? So. Cool. I've yet to visit OBX (in all fairness, I've only been to NC three times) but plan to go there repeatedly once I move.

Nothing like Mia's mohawk blowin' in the breeze...:)

Posted by: Rhonda at September 29, 2005 7:52 PM

"Beth and I showed Mia the edge of the continent this morning.

Goddamnit that's awesome."

Yep. :)

Posted by: Stacey at September 29, 2005 7:56 PM

I've never been into story time. But, maybe it's because my family repeats the same stories over and over again.

Posted by: Greg at September 29, 2005 8:21 PM

So true about families and stories... but it's kinda cool, you know? I used to get irritated when I was younger by the same stories being told over and over and over... but now, I practically beg my grandfather to tell that one about how he took me to the driving range for the first time.

Great picture of Beth and mia. I love mia's hair.

Posted by: Snidget at September 29, 2005 10:44 PM

Any posibility that we can get Beth to keep a transcript to post when she comes home? ;)

Posted by: Angelia at September 29, 2005 10:52 PM

oh my gosh. that photo just brought tears to my eyes. *tears I say!!*

And I too, seriously love the mohawk.

Go no, relax you!

PS "The View" is good for you. heehee.

Posted by: chepooka at September 29, 2005 10:59 PM

You always make my heart warm!
It goes by so fast...try to take it all in and slow things down and enjoy it! Some day you will wake up and all things have changed!

Posted by: Gypsy at September 29, 2005 11:55 PM

You just figured it out man. That's what life is all about. That's it, right there!!

Posted by: Amy at September 30, 2005 12:56 AM

Such a darling photo and I love Mia's stylish mohawk.

Posted by: etherian at September 30, 2005 1:55 AM

Such a darling photo and I love Mia's stylish mohawk.

Posted by: etherian at September 30, 2005 1:56 AM

As always, I love the hair!! My kids were all bald when they were that little. I thought I was going to have to hold our dog down and shave her to make wigs lol.

Posted by: dragonlady474 at September 30, 2005 10:08 AM

Beautiful!

Posted by: Jess at September 30, 2005 10:20 AM

You guys are adorably cute. These are so heartwarming!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at September 30, 2005 10:26 AM

That is really cool that you are in touch with your family like that.

Posted by: Carla at September 30, 2005 1:31 PM

Great picture! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time :)

Posted by: Sweety at October 1, 2005 3:50 AM

Dude, that crack about "The View" is priceless. That's more like waking up from a nightmare ;)

I'm the last of five kids and have heard all of the stories - multiple times. My dad is a great story teller. He just thinks that it's the first time he's telling the story - every time. But that's what gives it spirit.

Nice pic. Good composition.

Blog on,
Sam

Posted by: Sam at October 1, 2005 9:03 AM

If one was to look up "American Dream" in the dictionary, I have no doubt your family's picture would be there :) You two definetely "get" what life's about! Thank you for sharing with us :)

BTW, I saw a great bumper sticker the other day - "Save a Tree, remove a Bush" :)

Posted by: Lainey at October 1, 2005 12:11 PM

What a great picture of your girls! Happy times... :)

Posted by: Raybelle at October 1, 2005 12:14 PM