October 27, 2005

Thursday Morning Mix

Post Hump Day bliss. Eight or nine hours, a few meetings and then I'm out of here for four days. Not that I won't be working. I'll just be doing it from home. Of course, to get through Thursday, I'm going to need a little help. A little music should do it. Here's what I got when I fired up the iPod. I'll post links and an iMix this weekend.

Barrett Martin - Muhammad Ali
Mike Doughty - The Gambler
Eastmountainsouth - Hard Times
Brian Eno - Some of Them Are Old
Clem Snide - The End of Love
The Hold Steady - Hornets! Hornets!
Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
Jack Johnson - Sitting, Waiting, Wishing
Shins - The Past & Pending
Our Lady Peace - Angles/Losing/Sleep
Mars Volta - The Widow
Amy Correia - Coney Island, USA
Johny Cash - I've Been Everywhere
Foo Fighters - End Over End
Donovan - Catch The Wind
Peter Gabriel - Signal To Noise (Moon Club version)
Benzos - It's Amiable
The Posies - Everybody is a Fucking Liar
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'
Coldplay - Fix You (live)

Okay, I need to get my act together, chug another cup of coffee and lead a meeting. That's if I can start speaking in coherent sentences. I make no guarantees.

Posted by Chris at October 27, 2005 7:45 AM
Comments

They're lucky you showed up. That's what I say. It's much too much to expect coherent-ness.

Posted by: pea at October 27, 2005 8:02 AM

Are you going to wear your Elephant ears for power?!

Posted by: Michelle at October 27, 2005 8:33 AM

We are having such bad luck with iPods around here. :(

Posted by: Keri at October 27, 2005 9:17 AM

Mott The Hoople? Are you old enough to listen to them? I have that vinyl, but I didn't know you could get them digitally.

Posted by: shannon at October 27, 2005 9:28 AM

I've never heard of half the artists listed...and I live with a MUSICIAN. For such musically inclined people, we listen to an extraordinarily minimal amount of music...pathetic.

Posted by: Marilyn at October 27, 2005 9:59 AM

Hey Chris- in answer to your question on my blog:
"rainbow kissing" used to be going down on a girl when she's on her period.
Now, though, it means when a group of girls puts on a different color lipstick each and then one by one puts a ring around a man's, well, you know, one at a time. Making a "rainbow"

Posted by: christie at October 27, 2005 10:04 AM

Good mix of music!!

Posted by: Betty at October 27, 2005 10:09 AM

during my napster days, i used to download hundreds of mp3s without any concern for who the artist was or what songs they were. i got them just because i could. as a result, i often find "surprise songs" as i listen to my DJ on random. todays "surprise": house dance music remix of the title song to phantom of the opera. now thatll wake you up in the morning.

Posted by: steph at October 27, 2005 10:18 AM

I skimmed most of it to see if there was anything remotely interesting and caught Our Lady Peace. Sweet. You're now gold in my book.

Posted by: Grace at October 27, 2005 10:24 AM

That? Is an excellent mix.

Me, I've got my Velvet Underground CD in the 'puter. It's got the entire loaded album, plus a bunch of other tunes - "Stephanie Says", "There She Goes Again", "Heroin", "Waiting For The Man", to name a few.

Posted by: Jason at October 27, 2005 11:38 AM

Thanks for the comment on my site. I just discovered Bird York, she has an amazing voice, she sings "In the Deep" which is from the Crash soundtrack, which by the way is a very powerful movie if anyone hasn't seen it yet...

Posted by: Dana Furman at October 27, 2005 11:50 AM

Can't you just grunt and gesture and get your points across? I don't think coherent sentences are necessarily a requirement at meetings....

Posted by: Queen of Ass at October 27, 2005 12:11 PM

With musical tastes like that maybe MAYBE you can be my friend. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Posted by: Éireann at October 27, 2005 12:26 PM

I think this is my first post over here (I've been reading your wife's blog for awhile and recently started lurking 'round these parts). I had to delurk just to say that Doughty's cover of The Gambler is awesome and with that on your playlist you can't go wrong.

Posted by: erin at October 27, 2005 12:41 PM

In order to be able to speak in coherent sentences, I'd lay off the Dylan. I'm just saying.

Posted by: bhd at October 27, 2005 3:00 PM

I know a lot about music. And I've never heard of a couple of the bands on this list. I love it when that happens. Will be looking them up tonight, after first checking with John who has heard of everyone. You never know, I may have these bands on the insane wall of music in my basement.

Posted by: bad penguin at October 27, 2005 3:09 PM

You should really add some tragically hip to the mix !!! try wheat kings on or bobcaygeon, both great tunes

Posted by: shaners at October 27, 2005 5:39 PM

Well, if I heard the actual songs, it might click... but just seeing the titles? I'm not good at identifying music that way. HOWEVER, I'm absolutely in love with Jack Johnson's music. Great pick! :)

Posted by: Amber at October 27, 2005 6:19 PM

I have recently discovered Mott (due to Ms. Mann natch) - I like it!

And Broad and I totally heard Doughty play Gambler live. Heh. It was AWESOME.

Posted by: Snidget at October 27, 2005 9:44 PM

Upon your recommendation, I bought "X&Y" over the summer, and I am so glad I did! I became such a fan of that album that I went out and bought "A Rush of Blood to the Head" and "Parachutes," and now I love Coldplay's music, which I never thought I would. I wore "X&Y" OUT this summer in my car and at work. I guess next time you recommend a CD or band, I'm going to have to check it out!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 29, 2005 10:37 AM

Great list! Time to get pirating and pick these up. But I've got to know where the Mike Doughty version of "The Gambler" is. I thought I had all his stuff, but I don't have that one...

Posted by: CroutonBoy at October 29, 2005 12:56 PM