October 25, 2005

Why2K?

As of this writing, 2,000 Americans have died in Iraq. I've been trying to come up with some inherently wise post full of insightful comments and the occasional snide remark that would illustrate how I feel. I haven't been successful...at all. Seriously. I just sat here and typed another two paragraphs and then deleted every last word. They were constructed of those sentences in which I sound all high-and-mighty and attempt to justify my expensive college education. They were crap.

Look, you all know where I come down on the whole war thing. I don't agree with it but we're there, we've bombed the hell out of the country, and it's our responsibility to make it right. It's a shame that even one person had to die for a cause like this, much less 2,000.

Really, I wanted to be more eloquent than this. And angry. I wanted to sound angry too. Apparently I can't really write how I feel today. 2,000 others can't tell us either.

Posted by Chris at October 25, 2005 5:46 PM
Comments

I think sometimes our stumbling words say more than our moments of great eloquence.

Posted by: Heather at October 25, 2005 6:01 PM

I've been gritting my teeth at the bumper stickers that read "Out of Iraq Now!" for awhile - as much as I am horrified at our outrageous show of complete cluelessness in terms of foreign policy, the short answer is, we broke it, we bought it.

But 2000 dead after this much time with no clear strategy to allow us to remove ourselves from holding up the shoddy framework that is Iraq's political system... it's a horrible discredit to the soldiers themselves, and to us.

Posted by: Sarah at October 25, 2005 6:01 PM

I think you said it pretty well Chris. And so people know where I stand, I support the fighters, not the fight.

Posted by: Sue at October 25, 2005 6:03 PM

Christ, there's really not much to say that really conveys how one can feel about 2000 innocent people who died for someone else's power trip.

There is absolutely nothing that justifies those deaths.

Posted by: wn at October 25, 2005 6:03 PM

Saddam had to go... under what ever pretenses it matters not, he HAD to go and we need the oil. All dick-taters have to go I personally dont care what morally reprehensible justification is used to oust them either. the world needs peace and a unified police force to drive it into place. And what ever the spoils are should go to the liberated people. so long us canadians and you americans consume natural resources there will be blood on our hands MARK my words. we are all passively guilty of the oil wars past and present and future. But on the other hand dont wanna die in a war?, thats easy dont join the army. No-one forces our soldiers to do the whacky leaders bidding....

Posted by: shaner at October 25, 2005 6:30 PM

And neither can the thousands of Iraqis who have also died, many of them children.

Posted by: jen at October 25, 2005 6:36 PM

Shaner, I'm sorry that you don't understand the situation that many poor children are in. I'm sorry you don't understand that some of our children in the US are chased in our poorer schools, tempted and tricked into joining service. 18-year-olds are told they will be safe, they will be cooks or medics, or other people who will not be in harm's way. Things we know just aren't true, but how do you tell someone who doesn't want to live hand-to-mouth and is told there's no other way out?

30,000 Iraqis at least. That's the number that hurts me the most. These are children who didn't ask to be born in Iraq. These are civilians, who do not get their names read on our TV news. It would be too much, and Washington would have to reevaluate and change its system and aid to the country.

Posted by: alektra at October 25, 2005 6:42 PM

I think you've done a fine job, right there.

Posted by: Tonya at October 25, 2005 6:46 PM

My friend was trying to figure out to say for an article at school, and you're right, it is hard.

And to think, this morning I thought it was bad at 1,999. Oh how wrong I can be.

I agree with others though, you said it pretty well.

Posted by: ash at October 25, 2005 6:50 PM

it really is terrible to hear that number and worse to know that it will likely grow...

Posted by: lizabetty at October 25, 2005 7:39 PM

Shaner, I don't think the tens of thousands of dead Iraqis joined the army and I am pretty sure they didn't want to die either. I agree with Alektra. There are plenty of soldiers and sailors who believe in serving their country and dying to protect our freedom but didn't sign up to fight this particular war (which incidentally, had nothing to do with protecting our safety or freedom.)

Posted by: Ms. Q at October 25, 2005 8:12 PM

It's been said here already. If we wait for eloquence to come, then our voices might never be heard. And that would be shame upon shame.

You done good.

Posted by: bhd at October 25, 2005 8:53 PM

Shaner, Click on my name/link.

Think you need to read why a young man joins.

Chris, I so get the frustration in this post.

Posted by: Angelia at October 25, 2005 9:45 PM

oh shaner, you have it so wrong..."the world needs peace and a unified police force to drive it into place" - there is no such thing as creating peace by force.

chris - it's been said, but it bares repeating, stumbling sometimes is more meaningful than eloquence. may this war be over before 2000 more - soliders or civilians - die.

Posted by: suze at October 25, 2005 10:11 PM

You said it well Chris. There is nothing I can add. (I too tried to write something profound, angry and insightful... )

N.

Posted by: Nat at October 25, 2005 10:24 PM

Sometimes we hit DELETE and say we couldn't find the words...but somehow find them anyway.

Posted by: Marilyn at October 25, 2005 10:38 PM

Even worse is that according to the DOD website over 400 of those deaths are non-combat related and over 15,000 people have been wounded.

It's so senseless.

Posted by: wendy at October 25, 2005 11:55 PM

If you can read this, thank a teacher... If you are reading it in English thank a veteran!!

Ft.Bragg NC-Home of the 82nd airborne-

Posted by: Jennifer at October 25, 2005 11:56 PM

It just makes me so damn sad.

Your feelings transpired loud and clear. Nicely done.

Posted by: VirgoJen at October 26, 2005 12:54 AM

My husband is one of the 15K + wounded- he's also going to be 25 this November and will probably not be able to use his leg normally again. He joined the army because he felt a sense of duty to his country, yes, but he also felt before he left and when he came back that the way the situation is being handled is utterly appalling, and many of his fellows agree.

Thank you for this post, Chris- I have yet to find words to explain just how it is I feel about the current situation, but the frustration you mention here definitely captures the spirit.

Posted by: M at October 26, 2005 5:34 AM

"a cause like this" Freeing a few million iraqis from the likes of saddam and his sons isnt a cause you can support? what would you support? you need to get over the wmd thing, sure, it was an excuse, but look at the great good here.... please....americans have died for years to protect freedom, do you see any WWII vets crying about 2000 soldiers dying? those lives are precious and will be missed but dont use their honorable death to support your agenda, its wrong, dude...just wrong.

Posted by: linda at October 26, 2005 9:08 AM

I think it's horrible how no one in the news rarely touches on the thousands+ wounded. Those are the ones that will truely never recoperate. It's like a torturous suvioneir that will follow them forever. I don't think the media or the president will ever give us the true story of what is really happening over there. Only the soldiers that survive can tell that story.

Posted by: Michelle at October 26, 2005 10:04 AM

First a quick comment to Shaner: If all "dick-tators" need to go, then why is GW still in office? Yeah, yeah...that might sound like a lame retort but I'm sorry, sometimes I don't see a very big difference between the mentality of "evil-doers" like Sadamm or Bin Laden and King George.

Its also very easy to say if you don't want to die in a war, don't join the army when one enjoys a moderately comfortable and predictible lifestyle. You need to consider *why* it is many young men join the army in the first place and how strategic the millitary and the government are in capitalizing on those circumstances in order to attract men and women to the armed forces. Its a fairly well known fact that a great majority of those who join the army come from lower class backgrounds and are lured by the military's promises of free education, financial assistance, etc. Maybe we need to look at *that* bit of reality before we throw out careless comments about those who "choose" to serve.

Having said that, I bless each and every one of our soldiers...and thank them, as well as their families, for the sacrifices they are willing to make. Chris, I don't think there is really any other way to express the bewilderment and frustration on this apparent milestone in the Iraq war. What distresses me even more is if and when the soldiers do ever come home, what will become of them then? What kind of society will be welcoming them back?

Posted by: chattygirl at October 26, 2005 10:41 AM

Amen Chris. I feel for these soliders dead or wounded. They are our spouces, siblings, parents, uncles, aunts, and childhood friends.

I find it incredible that a pro-life person (George) has no problem with so much killing.

Posted by: Lisa B at October 26, 2005 11:43 AM

Why are there so many of us who agree with you, yet our administration refuses to believe we exist?

Posted by: Heather at October 26, 2005 11:48 AM

I saw that on the news, the 2000 Americans who've died. I also thought about the countless innocent people caught in the fire. children always come to mind.

I have to be 100% honest, I don't think about those guys from day to day. I almost forget until I see someone in uniform, or see a news report. My heart goes out to those families, and young men and women who've lost their lives and put their asses on the line. But I can't say it with the same gusto as did when I mention my grandfather fighting in WW2. I also feel pride when I say that my father is a Vietnam vet. I just don't feel it's justified and so I have a hard time giving my 100% backing to these men and women.

Moslty I'm just angry.

Posted by: Michele at October 26, 2005 11:55 AM

*sigh* I wish we could pull out now. I know that we certainly cannot. 2000 of our soldiers our now dead. And countless innocent Iraqis. Because why? How long will we be there? How long is this going to take? How many more lives will be lost? This is certainly no WWII. This is a fight for oil. To power our rediculous vehicles and heat our overly large homes (yes, mine too). This is a greed issue. We went over there with a few excuses about other things, but I have no doubt in my mind what we are really doing there.

Posted by: Keri at October 26, 2005 9:38 PM

I hear ya. 2 of those 2000 were friends of mine from high school, and 1 the husband of a friend of mine (he died while she was pregnant back when the war first started) and a very very good friend... ex-boyfriend, actually... lived but is pretty emotionally messed up, so much so they won't send him back and put him on desk duty. Someone I didn't know personally but who lived down the street from me died too. It all makes me so angry and sad and frustrated! I think I heard on the news that western PA (where I am from) had the most or close to the most number of deaths in the war in the US. It all just... sucks!!!!

Posted by: Mandy at October 27, 2005 1:57 PM