November 1, 2005

Another Point for the White Guys

I know this might sound odd coming from me, but I wanted to applaud Bush's nomination to the Supreme Court. There really aren't enough wealthy white men in government. I - as a white male - view this as a positive step forward for people of all colors (except for those that aren't white) and genders (women excluded) everwhere. Way to cut through the racial and gender-based stereotypes that remain so exceptionally pervasive in the United States, George!

I heard a small, muffled explosion echoing through the DC area yesterday morning. My guess is that it was Sandra Day O'Connor's head exploding.

Posted by Chris at November 1, 2005 4:59 PM
Comments

My mom just told me that she wants to force feed Bush a bag of pretzels, but I think she would be wasting her time because he eats pretzels anyways, just doesn't chew them good enough.

Posted by: Rockchild at November 1, 2005 5:08 PM

Do you really think anyone is surprised by this nomination? It's true to form. The only thing that surprises me is that the man has actually sat on the bench. I didn't think Georgie-boy would actually listen to all the complaints about Meirs not having any experience as a judge.

Posted by: patricia at November 1, 2005 5:12 PM

Yeah, don't want to pick somebody like us for the Supreme Court, because there would go the whole neighborhood, then all the whites would move out!

Posted by: The Dormitory Boys. at November 1, 2005 5:15 PM

I am disappointed too. I wasnt a big fan of Harriet Miers because she simply had NO experience as a judge, but there had to be a more qualified woman or minority out there. Yup, bushy let me down on this one.

Posted by: linda at November 1, 2005 5:16 PM

At least Dubya picked someone this time that had a background in the legal system. In fact, this carefully selected, albeit by an idiot, judge had a ruling overturned by the Supreme Court. Maybe the third nominee will actually be a viable candidate. I have a dream of a President that chooses a person that is not a friend but an actual qualified contender.

Posted by: Eeek at November 1, 2005 5:24 PM

No, Chris. That would have been my head exploding. Oy, just, oy.

Posted by: Sue at November 1, 2005 5:37 PM

Yeah, my head would be exploding, had it not exploded when Trent Lott said

"I think the President should look across the country and find the most qualified man, woman, or minority."

Stupid people make my head hurt.

Posted by: Kerry at November 1, 2005 5:44 PM

That was actually MY head exploding 3 states away. that's why it sounded muffled. I put it back together with duct tape, and I'm expecting a viewing of Bill Maher this week to help it heal.

Posted by: Bonanza Jellybean at November 1, 2005 5:51 PM

haahahahahahahah - I just fell off my chair.

:-|

Posted by: carrster at November 1, 2005 6:03 PM

What you didn't hear was the sound of my head exploding. However, it did register as a 2.0 on the Richter scale here in southern California.

Oy vey!! I think his next pick for anything might be his dog, Barney. And did you know that Barney has his own home page? I just found it right now. Barney's Home Page. Our tax dollars hard at work!!! Excellent. I am so proud to be an American. I don't know where other countries get the idea that we are extravagant, overindulgent assholes. If they knew how much we loved the First Dog, they'd change their minds.

Posted by: Ms. Q at November 1, 2005 6:05 PM

My grandfather, who well-remembers the JFK "but he's a PAPIST CATHOLIC!" victory was very excited by this nomination because it meant 5 of the justices would be Catholic. I know, I know, it doesn't seem like anything to us now, but it does mean SOME things have changed. At the same time, "Scalito" deciding our rights makes me want to cry.

I also think Bush nominated Miers to say "hey, i nominated a woman, what do you want?" Token to the max. Way to go, Dubya.

Finally, to a circuit judge being overturned, that's going to happen. Because, as we know, the lower courts must follow the higher courts until the Supreme Court (state or US) changes its mind. So it might just mean the man was doing his job. He doesn't seem stupid or lacking ability, just cold-hearted.

Ooo! And I just won a movie ticket through google's thing looking up alito. yay.

Posted by: alektra at November 1, 2005 7:04 PM

Let's hope her head exploded!! Jeez louise!

Posted by: Amy at November 1, 2005 7:51 PM

I live in Arizona, I'm pretty sure the scary noise I heard was Sandra Day O'Connor's head exploding part II.

Posted by: ash at November 1, 2005 8:16 PM

Wow, I had not even thought of that!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rori at November 1, 2005 8:20 PM

Maybe she'll change her mind and un-retire rather than leave us with this. How sad.

Posted by: laura at November 1, 2005 8:54 PM

I think you heard MY head exploding! Now if they would all just crawl out of my uterus I would be a happy girl! grumble grumble grumble!

Posted by: Gypsy at November 2, 2005 12:25 AM

Ah, sarcasm, my old friend. :) Theoretically, I'm not really affected by all this, but you've heard the saying "America sneezes and Canada catches a cold."? So...yeah. Stupid Shrub.

Posted by: Heather at November 2, 2005 7:51 AM

ugh, i know. how original, huh? i don't know anything about that miers lady, but she sure got voted down quickly. politics makes my head hurt...

Posted by: Judy at November 2, 2005 8:19 AM

Stupid people make my head hurt too.

Posted by: Michelle at November 2, 2005 8:23 AM

At least he doesn't have a big red swollen nose. That REALLY would have fed into the stereotype.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at November 2, 2005 10:34 AM

HAHAHAHA... seriously? I bet the woman is kicking herself. I'm just sitting back, with a bowl of popcorn, saying to myself, "This should be interesting..."

Posted by: Corinne at November 2, 2005 11:46 AM

Word to your mother. It seems, rude catus, that you understand. UUUUUUHHHHHH. So, so sad.
I try not to think too much about the people running the country and making laws and such. It's much nicer that way.

Posted by: meghan at November 3, 2005 10:42 PM