November 11, 2005

Asshatery In The News

Granted, it's a Friday afternoon and it's been a long, long week. So I'm annoyed. At the following quote from our Fearless Leader.

"While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began."

1. A war on terrorism is a blatantly idiotic idea. Combating terrorists and terrorist organizations throughout the world is fine. Excellent idea. But declaring a war against an idea has always seemed stupid - and scary - to me. It sounds about as feasible an idea as a war against greed or lust. How does one go about doing that without getting all Big Brother on our asses?

2. I don't feel as though I, when I speak out against what I believe to be wrong, am well tolerated in this political climate. Not when I've been told repeatedly that the terrorists want to kill me and my family, want to undermine our democratic values, want to take away the freedoms I hold dear. When you put it like that, who doesn't feel a little self-conscious disagreeing with the fight against the terrorists? I guess I really just don't believe that this administration tolerates differing opinions. And I think many of it's people are following along blindly, dismissing anyone who doesn't slap an NRA sticker on their bumper and have United We Stand tattooed on their foreheads as commie pinko liberals who should move to Canada if we're not happy.

3. Our intelligence sucked. That much is clear. But our government twisted the facts to make this conflict seem that much more vital, that much easier to accomplish and that much more relevant to 9/11 than was true. I'll agree not to manipulate history if you, Mr. Bush, will agree not to manipulate the truth. And on Veteran's Day, no less.

Posted by Chris at November 11, 2005 2:54 PM
Comments

I'm sorry, Chris, our Great Leader does not deserve the title of "Asshat". (It's way too nice.)

He does, however, deserve a slew of names so profane I won't even write them here.

I want to declare a War on Gravity, though. It's really been kicking my ass lately.

Posted by: Ms. Q at November 11, 2005 3:02 PM

all I have to say is Jordan, hotels, boom...carnage....

whether it be war on terrorism or combating terrorism something needs to be done, thank god we have a president willing to do it.

Posted by: linda at November 11, 2005 3:09 PM

I totally agree that it's irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began. I agree so much with this that I believe it might be time for impeachment.

Let him be hoist with his own petard.

Posted by: bhd at November 11, 2005 3:22 PM

Ah, Canada. I like Canada. In fact, I think I'll go there now...

Posted by: L at November 11, 2005 3:22 PM

It sucks when any perspective other than the "religious right" is sneered at, but that is where we are, and what we asked for. I'm scared when discrimination and persecution become, dare I say encouraged?

I also find myself frustrated with narrow minded people who seem to think our course of action is the only possible course, and that we are doing the right thing simply because the USA chose to do it. Such a perspective simply shows how egocentric and arrogant we truly can be.

Posted by: at November 11, 2005 3:27 PM

oops, I didn't mean to leave an uncredited comment! Sorry.

Posted by: Heather at November 11, 2005 3:29 PM

Amen Brother!

We(our goverment) has declared war on a idea, and has gotten all big brother on our asses.. Soon it will be illegal or at the very least get you on some list to disagree with them.

Posted by: Angelia at November 11, 2005 3:36 PM

He is such a freak. Does anyone have a counter until he's out of office? I could watch that for the next three years...

Posted by: alektra at November 11, 2005 3:54 PM

you know what i find offensive? that Clinton was impeached for a blowjob (and did that hurt anybody?) but nobody has brought up the idea of impeaching Bush for starting a war based in lies and bad intelligence that has killed thousands of people.

Posted by: Pinky at November 11, 2005 3:58 PM

Our Fearless Leader the Asshat. I just love that fact that he has never been to war, yet thinks he knows how to run the entire US Armed Forces. That's what we should be scared of, not the terrorists. And I am not trying to sound unpatriotic or anything when I say this, but what happened on 9/11 happens everyday, we just never see it. What do you think was going on all the time before we bombed Iraq and Afghanastan? The USA cannot change countries like that, countries who's main focus has been war since before the Crusades. It's just not going to happen and Dubyah just can't get over that fact. He seems to become more of a dictator each time he does something war related...anything. Total Asshat.

Posted by: Michelle at November 11, 2005 4:21 PM

preach it.

then again, i'm just one of those Commie French-lovin' Europeans that supports terrorism solely because we don't think that the Middle East should be tactically nuked so . . who cares whether i agree or not?

Posted by: marie b. at November 11, 2005 5:01 PM

Dude, come down off the ledge. It's Friday after all.

Posted by: Pammer at November 11, 2005 5:41 PM

Sort of like the war on drugs. It costs a ton and it's not very effective. What a mess to explain to our children eh?

Posted by: Nat at November 11, 2005 7:43 PM

I love it when you get all ranty - You do it so well.

Posted by: Amber at November 11, 2005 8:23 PM

Preach on. My bumper sticker: YeeHaw is not a foriegn policy.

Posted by: Mayberry at November 11, 2005 9:10 PM

Nat was spot-on:

This so-called war on terror is the same dressing as the so-called war on poverty of L.B. Johnson and the so-called war on drugs of R. Nixon, just a different president this time. It's all diversion tactics, and just as years passed, a lot of people have fallen for it.

Dissent is absolutely necessary and so is holding our government responsible for their actions done in our name.

Posted by: Anne at November 11, 2005 10:54 PM

When I'm told that this war is for my "freedom," I want to SCREAM.

Posted by: Stephanie at November 11, 2005 10:56 PM

I love it when you guys get all excited. Here's an article you may want to read. It has all the inconvenient facts that you guys are trying to re-write.

Posted by: LL at November 11, 2005 11:11 PM

Have you noticed that he uses the "War on..." phrase a lot? Recent example being "the war on avian flu."

He doesn't think in terms of the big picture and he has no respect for differing opinions or cultures. Evidently, we can solve everything with guns and violence. Idiot. Fucking idiot. No wonder other countries have such a poor view of our country.

Posted by: Colleen at November 11, 2005 11:14 PM

About two minutes after I read your post, CNN aired that clip. Not only does that statement make me want to punch him in the nuts, but could he have stumbled through it more?

Anyway. I'm tired of being labeled unpatriotic, anti-freedom, and pro-terrorism. I support our troops. Dissent is patriotic. And as far as being pro-terrorism, that's just bullshit. I mean, Iraq isn't the only country with terrorists.

See, I'm getting so riled up that I can't even make a point!

Posted by: Rhonda at November 12, 2005 11:13 AM

Since you're getting political, I thought I share a bumper sticker I saw the other day.

"I'll hug your elephant if you kiss my ass." ;)

Posted by: wendy at November 12, 2005 5:36 PM

Impeach, impeach!

Call me extreme, but personally it is my humble opinion the "moron" (as we like to refer to him in Canada) should be convicted for mass murder. (2,000 of your unfortunate troops and 25,000+ innocent iraqi civilians)

jeez, I've heard a howler monkey throw together a more coherent sentence...perhaps you could try and impeach on the grounds he has made no effort (in all these miserable years) to improve/add to his diabolically poor vocabulary. I mean seriously, what a dreadful example to children in school...worth a go I say!

And I was away for "the big rant".... all I'd like to say is....

Paris freakin' Hilton...what an immensely irritating self-absorbed complete waste of space...

nothing else.

Posted by: englishthorn at November 13, 2005 7:07 PM

ps.

There are some delightful "impeach bush" wrist bands for sale at www.gottaimpeachbush.com....would make splendid stocking stuffers!

Posted by: englishthorn at November 13, 2005 7:16 PM

Prez Bush the ASSHAT! Haha. I like that.

Posted by: Cool dude at November 18, 2005 3:11 PM