November 2, 2005

Hump Day De-Lurking Rant and Startling Admissionathon!

Last month, I asked you for a rant or a startling admission. It was popular. 67 of you chimed in. This month - today in fact - I want more! Today? Is the Hump Day De-Lurking Rant and Startling Admissionathon! If you're out there, say hi. If you're sick of something or someone, vent. If you want to get something off your chest, do it! Here are some examples.

The De-Lurk: "Hi. I've been reading your site for two years and I've created a small shrine to you and your site in the corner of my bedroom complete with a life-size cardboard cutout of you. I just thought you should know. So, um, hi!"

The Rant: "As I was leaving the house this morning, I fell down half a flight of stairs. Fucking gravity."

The Admission: "I've had this feeling for several years now that I'm a lesbian trapped in the body of a gay Chinese man even though I'm straight and white. And? I find the show Full House strangely compelling."

These are, of course, examples and have no basis in reality. So, it's all you. You're steering now! It's up to you to make sure this doesn't suck!

Posted by Chris at November 2, 2005 7:48 AM
Comments

How about this - yesterday I locked myself out of the house because a stray cat was trying to get IN the house and I had to call a friend to drive me to work.I was late for a staff meeting.

Posted by: samantha at November 2, 2005 7:52 AM

Im so fucking tired of fake people and their pretentious attitudes. I am sick of the way they always have to flaunt their material possessions as if that is a way to earn them respect and people to bow down to them. I wont. Friends who say they are your friends but are really just acquaintances....burns my ass. They arent there when you need them. They dont really share themselves with you. They are just "there." Oh and to end on a big note, I am really growing tired of my own financial insecurity and my obesity. It seems no matter how much I try, I can not move in a positive direction with either one of them. What gives?

Posted by: Tricia at November 2, 2005 7:57 AM

it has been freezing cold in my office for 2 days now and they told us that because it was warm in other parts of the floor they couldnt adjust the temperature. so i wore a sweater today expecting it to be freezing again-- and the AC is completely off.

Posted by: steph at November 2, 2005 7:59 AM

I'm sick of alcohol and what it does to people. Completely. Fucking. Sick of it.

Posted by: shannon. at November 2, 2005 8:01 AM

The De-Lurk: Well, I comment fairly often, so I'm not a lurker. I will admit to doing voodoo spells every evening that will give me the power to have a great blog like yours. Can you send me some hair so I can finish the doll? I promise not to stick pins into it. Well, unless you turn all right wing and start supporting Bush. Then I'm sticking it right through your ears.

The Rant: I hate the people I work with because they are the biggest bunch of morons assembled under one roof in the world- it was NOT necessary to tell me all about the little messages on the EL Fudge cookies in the breakroom while I was getting my lunch. For 10 minutes. I only eat EL Fudges because I like biting their heads off.

The Admission: I'm really a nice person deep down. My cat is sitting next to me channelling all of the sarcasm I use. (Anyone with a cat knows they're sarcastic.)

I think I failed on the not making it suck mission. It's early. Not enough coffee yet. :)

Posted by: Bonanza Jellybean at November 2, 2005 8:01 AM

The De-lurk- I don't know that I really lurk much here... I mean I do visit here often and make comments to things that I have comments for...

The Rant- *blink...blink....* hmmm for once I don't have anything... just wait the day is young...

The admission- I totally love "The biggest loser" I am rooting for Suzy. There is just something about her, I think we could be good friends if we met. And generally I don't like these "reality" shows.

Posted by: Cher at November 2, 2005 8:24 AM

The admission. I always read this blog first.

Posted by: Angelia at November 2, 2005 8:27 AM

I'm sick to death of the people at work giving me a horrendous deadline then taking away all of my resources that made that horrendous deadline do-able. I've not had a day off in over a month because of this.

Posted by: amber at November 2, 2005 8:28 AM

De-Lurk = Well, no need, I am here almost every day and comment on a pretty regular basis

The Rant = I am turning 30 on the weekend and despite a trip we have planned and the reservation at the 4 star restaurant... it's still pissing me off...FUCKING birthdays!

The Admission = Because of aforesaid piss-offedness and also due to EXTREME decadence that is being a chidless couple I have smoked pot 3 times already this week and feel like crap about it! WHY must I have this guilt? Catholicism? maybe...but I blame it on turning 30...because really...this wouldn't have otherwise bothered me! There...getting older sucks!

Posted by: wn at November 2, 2005 8:32 AM

i had a great big old epiphany on the way into work while riding the bus. and then the moment was lost because i got caught up in watching this teenager get up to offer a seat to a woman and while he was doing this another teenager took the seat, so both the kind teenager and the woman had to stand and the seat-stealing teen got to ride in comfort the whole way downtown. i hate rude people. but not the rude cactus.;)

that is all. (i'm having a bad day already - can we tell?)

Posted by: suze at November 2, 2005 8:32 AM

Rant:
People that hate things for all the wrong reasons. And also people that hate things just because someone tells them something about said "thing" and doesn't bother looking it up to see if what they were told is correct.

Posted by: dragonlady474 at November 2, 2005 8:33 AM

I'm sick and tired of this goddamned job, I tell you what. Wait, is it still a rant if I've already said it a million times?

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 2, 2005 8:42 AM

My admission is that I'm incapable of lurking. Now, this may seem like a good thing, comments are good no? But I submit as evidence every single comment I've ever left on this site. Now you tell me, looking back, wouldn't lurking have been a pretty good alternative? :D

Posted by: pea at November 2, 2005 8:45 AM

The rant: my husband and i have been trying to get pregnant for a while and it's getting very frustrating.

The admission: when i was a little girl, i had a huge crush on Johnny Cash. I didn't listen to his music, i just dug the man in black.

Posted by: Pinky at November 2, 2005 8:53 AM

My shameful secret: I can't pass by the horrible movie "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" without stopping to watch it. I'll even TiVo it if I can't watch the whole thing. I know all th words. At least I don't own it on DVD. Yet.

Posted by: donna at November 2, 2005 8:58 AM

Hi, Chris! *waves*

Posted by: jen at November 2, 2005 9:07 AM

I am officially de-lurking.I'm still reading the blog, amused as ever. I always wondered what people on the OTHER side of the Bay Bridge do besides sit in traffic :) Sometimes when financial woes strike I think about getting a "real job"...one in an office where I have to be punctual (ha!) and wear clean clothes....then I stumble upon one of your job rants before my afternoon nap and, well....

Rant: Don't tempt me.

Admission:I am really antisocial at heart, although people who kow me would be suprised by that. Interacting with people daily takes all the energy I have and I really don't enjoy it. I like life in my own bubble with no interruptions.

Posted by: Geezitron at November 2, 2005 9:12 AM

The Admission /Rant:

I have something I REALLY want to get off my chest, and I cannot post anywhere about it :(

It involves a friend, who blogs, and who reads my blog and most of the ones that I read. Not sure if this one is one of them or not.

And I am ready to 'splode.

*cries*

Posted by: jen at November 2, 2005 9:19 AM

i leave a comment here every once in a while, so do i really need to de-lurk?

Posted by: reb at November 2, 2005 9:23 AM

Admission: I really like Meatloaf. The musician.

Posted by: Tali at November 2, 2005 9:27 AM

Delurking: Ive commented a handful of times over the past year. But more often than not, I just read and enjoy because I fear my comments surely can not compete with the hundreds of other comments.

The Rant: I hate working in a coporate environment, working for "The Man".

Admission: I fear I am too lazy to achieve my dreams.

Posted by: alfredsmom at November 2, 2005 9:30 AM

The De-Lurk: Um..not really. Been coming here for a while now, you comment whore.

The Rant: "Why would the idiot deli lady who made my breakfast this morning think that I would enjoy an egg and cream cheese sandwich? Has common sense left the building? Damn idiot! Fucking gross!"

The Admission: "Due to a busy morning at work, I ate the aforementioned sandwich. Not too good. But not was bad as I thought it would be?"

Posted by: MetroDad at November 2, 2005 9:37 AM

I'm very mad because someone stole my favourite black pen. Now I have to use a cheap one. And I have this problem where I only like to use black pens, but they always seem to disappear first.

Posted by: Adi at November 2, 2005 9:39 AM

rant: the same people are always quoted for the random quote at ricebowljournals.com (because the owner of the site picks the quotes) and it annoys me.

Posted by: Denise at November 2, 2005 9:42 AM

Delurk: well I have commented before - but probably not as much as I should. :)

Rant: I want to know.. why 50% less Sugar oatmeal tastes super salty? Did someone in the factory accidentaly dump salt to the sugar bucket and instead of scrapping the whole thing - they decided since it was half sugar and half salt they would call it "50 % Less Sugar"? That's what I am going with - cuz one one would buy it if it said "50% More Salt" on the box!

Admission: It kills me that my brother doesn't love me.

Posted by: Jenny at November 2, 2005 9:43 AM

No need to delurk here.

Rant: The circus decided rush hour was a good time to parade the elephants down the main street in town...that I need to take to work. I thought I was losing my mind, but I was just late for work.

Admission: I am so not a morning person, but don't mind so much when our dog wakes me up by sticking her nose in my face and her paw on my arm. It's kind of cute.

Posted by: Krush at November 2, 2005 9:47 AM

Admission...kind of a rant, too: It really, really upsets me when my friends can't figure out for themselves that the train they're on is guaranteed to wreck.

Posted by: Amanda at November 2, 2005 9:51 AM

Delurk: It took me forever to come out of hiding, most days I don't feel like I'm capable of offering "web worthy" comments, perhaps they'd come across the wrong way? The first time I commented on someone's blog I had a bad experience. (Can you believe that?) The blog master got really snitty with me, after having asked for advice. Hello . . . blogger asks, blog reader answers, blogger gets an attitude? Puzzling.

Rant: I went to a costume party over the weekend, and later found out that some people were sneaking off to snort coke, now I am soooo pissed off at every person who was acting vaguely hyper that night. I don't mind being at a party where someone brings their 19 year old cousin and lets them get trashed, but people should keep the drastic stuff at home. What if (for some bizarre reason) the party had been busted? Someone's dumbass decision suddenly becomes my problem.

Admission: I'm very hypocritical about drug use, I consider potheads to be harmless yet any other type of drug use draws my ire. I have no respect for prescription drug abusers (had one in my family, what a relief to have an explanation for freaky behavior!) and absolutely no patience for people who dabble with uppers - so just brew some f*cking coffee instead!! I just don't know what makes some people think that they are so freaking special that their need for a buzz is more important than taking care of themselves, or at minimum behaving in a civil manner around their friends and family members.

wooo . . . lotsa venom, sorry 'bout that!

Posted by: Betti at November 2, 2005 9:58 AM

THE DE-LURK- Ok, Ok I plead the 5th. But I do leave a comment here and there. It's your fault though for having such a stellar Blog! :oP

THE RANT- Being a mother of two boys 12 and 3 I have a variety of acquaintances. And I am so sick of hearing OTHERS RANT about how they think such and suchs child has ADHD or that maybe they are ADD. When is this era of blaming (labeling) your parenting skills going to end?????

THE ADMISSION- I wouldn't do it all over again.

Posted by: Jennifer at November 2, 2005 10:10 AM

de-lurk: i've been quiet here lately.. so i'm coming out! erm.. not like that.
rant: stupid alarm not being loud enough to wake me up. i woke up w/ 3 minutes to get dressed and out the door. however, i made it.
admission: woo! i was a virgin until about 5 months ago. that's the freakiest thing i have to admit. and it has nothing to do w/ my first comment ;) *hehe*

Posted by: manda at November 2, 2005 10:11 AM

The admission...I lied through my teeth to get out of attending my 'dads' birthday party last night. It was sooo worth it.

The rant...ummm, fresh out of rants today!

Posted by: Theresa at November 2, 2005 10:13 AM

Rant: When someone in my office would like me to edit something for them first thing in the morning, I would appreciate it if they would at least say "Good morning, SpaceCase, could you..." and then make the request. This would fill me with much less rage than dumping said item on my desk without acknowledging my presence and saying a curt "I need this fixed," while walking away.

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!

Wow, thanks Chris. I feel a little better now.

Posted by: SpaceCase at November 2, 2005 10:16 AM

I don't think I can count as a delurker. But oh, do I have a rant!

It is not fucking fair to have to deal with hideous traffic two days in a row -- 1 1/2 hours to get to work yesterday, just over an hour today. Stupid cars need to get out of my way.

Oh, and to the person who has been blocking my internal hire for SIX weeks. Please make a damn decision so I can either hire the person I want or start interviewing again.

Whew. I feel much better. Thanks, Chris :)

Posted by: bad penguin at November 2, 2005 10:33 AM

Yesterday I made $90 on a consumer research panel and then spent $115 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond on the way home.

Posted by: Eulallia at November 2, 2005 10:48 AM

I'm just plain old pissed that Lost is a repeat tonight. Sonsabitches.

Posted by: JuJuBee at November 2, 2005 10:51 AM

Rant: When I go to the Caribbean in 6 days, it will be COOLER than it currently is in Los Angeles. *&^$%$()&% 90 degree weather in November is stooopid.

Posted by: amy at November 2, 2005 10:53 AM

The De-lurk: already delurked but since I have commented again, I feel like a born again delurker. No shrine to you in my house, but I do have several pics of Beth that I use for practicing my Photshop skills (maybe that was the startling admission?)

The rant: Why the heck does Dasani (aka Coca Cola) put the friggin' bar code on the BOTTOM of the GIANT 24 bottle case? So if I want to leave it in the cart instead of hauling it up onto the conveyor belt at the store, I STILL have to turn it upside down so that they can hand scan it. WTF?!

The startling admission: All I ate for lunch yesterday was a giant pile of left over halloween candy (but let's face it, how darn startling is that?).

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at November 2, 2005 10:54 AM

DE-LURK: I'm with Betti on the lurking thing. I never felt I was capable of saying anything worth reading. (In fact, I still don't - I just don't let it stop me, hehe.) But I'm sure I found your website through 'kuing, so I had already had contact and wasn't so afraid.

RANT #1: I really miss the Smackdown. It seriously made my Thursdays. It would keep me busy through school and swim practice and dinner. People began thinking I was insane because I would randomly start counting out syllables on my fingers. But it was just so much fun. :(

RANT #2: I actually fell up a flight of stairs this morning. Does that count for anything?

Posted by: Christina at November 2, 2005 10:59 AM

You have me trapped in your body? Because I am a lesbian trapped in the body of a gay Chinese/Vietnamese man. Although I only find Full House compelling because the Olsen twins look like troll dolls.

Posted by: verucaamish at November 2, 2005 11:06 AM

The startling admission: I have loved The Beatles since I was a kid. I saw Paul McCartney in concert a few years ago. BEST CONCERT EVER.

That's not the admission. The admission is that I am going to see Paul again (tomorrow) and I am not feeling good about it. I am afraid that it won't be as good as the first concert and it will ruin that experience.

Why am I so nervous? This is freakin' Paul McCartney. He is a freakin' BEATLE.

*I feel better-thanks*

Posted by: Isabel at November 2, 2005 11:13 AM

de-lurk: daily reader, but rarely comment :)

rant: f-ing clients at work--my sales territory is non-existent...do people in the midwest and south not care about professional development for teachers??

admission: I can't believe DH (mr. onlyindreams.org, though the site is now out of commission) and I are actually talking about having kids after only 5 months of marriage :) Very strange thought, me with kids.

Posted by: Liz at November 2, 2005 11:19 AM

Crap. I just remembered I forgot to make an admission last time. Anywayyy...

RANT: I hate that there are people out there who are parents who don't put the needs and well-being of their children first, before their own superficial self-interests. It makes me nuts.

ADMISSION: I am freaked out about moving for a guy. It's a very big step and I'm freaking out. Did I mention, I'm freaking out? (The guy is wonderful, the relationship superlative. The freaking out makes no damn sense, yet it's there.)

Man, I do feel better. :-)

Posted by: Polichick at November 2, 2005 11:21 AM

the rant: people who are at a red light where it's legal to turn right and don't? REALLY REALLY REALLY drive me mad!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at November 2, 2005 11:25 AM

My boss is turning my work for my most time-consuming client into a complete clusterfuck. There are "relationship" issues and he thinks he's "massaging" it but he is really making things SO MUCH WORSE.

But he owns the company so I can't really tell him to bug off.

Posted by: kalisah at November 2, 2005 11:42 AM

I'm not a lurker, just a sometimes very complacent commenter. However, giving the chance to rant and give a startling admission, I cannot hold back:

Rant: Gaaah, I hate people who think that if they say or do things that will please people, everyone will like them. But in reality? The person is so fucking transparent that it annoys the shit out of me that they appear to have no personality, just some sort of metamorphic character that changes depending on the person. If they showed me what they really thought, perhaps I wouldn't like them too much but I would at least have respect for them.

Admission: I've been slightly bitchy to someone lately, but I actually kind of love them. And now I hate the fact that they probably think I don't like them. (Not so startling, but that's the best I have.)

I feel so much better!

Posted by: Zoe at November 2, 2005 11:43 AM

De-lurk: I've commented before, but I really do enjoy your blog. And that's one cute kidlet you have!

Rant: Hot showers that aren't hot. Stupid poorly insulated pipes going from the basement to the 3rd floor apartment I live in.

Admission: I keep forgetting to bring my camera with me when I drove to my honey's house and thereby miss many opportunities to take photos of the incredible fall colors here in New England.

Posted by: Lisa at November 2, 2005 11:43 AM

De-lurk: umm... been there, done that...

Rant: I'm pretty fed up with politicians across the board... I wish we could replace all of them... with middle class folk, not high class snobbery.

The Admission: I spend WAYYYYYY more money than we have... and have a credit card to prove it. But lately? I'm trying to get that under control.

Posted by: Corinne at November 2, 2005 11:48 AM

I have a really big secret. The world will know Sunday. I am so excited!

Posted by: Mary Jo at November 2, 2005 11:50 AM

Rant: A great way to piss the hell out of me, is to ask me to do something then when I ask you to explain it further, because you've been as vague as fucking possible, do not walk away. Because seriously, I just won't do what you've asked me to do, because you're a fucking moron and a pain in my ass.

Ok sorry, I had to get that off my chest. All better now.

Posted by: Heather B. at November 2, 2005 11:58 AM

The character that Adam Sandler played in Punch-Drunk Love was based on me. I have all these pent up anger issues that I imagine beating the crap out of people.

Take this morning. Some stupid old woman doesn't know how to follow road signs that say "merge" and "alternate" and wouldn't let me in. I wasthisclose to getting out of my car, dragging her old saggy ass onto the street and just beating the last of her braincells out of her stupidold head.

Then my co-worker, known as the zit, is humming and I want to throw sharp objects over the partition wall and hopefully land one in her cerebral cortex.

Instead I keep it bottled up. Must. get. rid. of. thoughts. and. go. to. happy. place.

Posted by: Grace at November 2, 2005 12:09 PM

De-lurk: No stranger here.

Rant: People that get on the train and put their bag on the seat, or sitting on the ailse seat, knowing that it's going to get crowded and they'd have to eventually let other people sit down anyway. Or when you go up to them and indicate that you'd like to sit down, they'd give you a look as if you ran over their kitten or something.

Admission: I still sleep with a blanky. Well actually, I have many of them to rotate. They're super soft cotton cloth that are sold in Thailand as cloth diaper. Since the disposable diapers are becoming more popular in Bangkok, my mom has to hunt for the replacements blanky for me now as you can't find them easliy any more.

Posted by: Oakley at November 2, 2005 12:18 PM

Delurk: n/a - Regardless of having absolutely nothing intelligent to say, I comment all the time anywy! heh. Hi! *waves*
Rant: Hm..which one? Probably people who walk around with metaphoric label guns, just firing off generalizations indiscriminately.
Admission: I've gone and fallen, what seems like suddenly, in love with a guy I've known more than half my life, and I can't work up the nerve to tell him, because though I say otherwise, I'm terribly afraid that I'm not good enough for him. And I'm petrified of rejection.

Posted by: Heather at November 2, 2005 12:20 PM

Who told you about my shrine?! =P

I am too tired to rant. I am supremely annoyed with most people all the time now. The worst part of that? I realize that the feeling is probably mutual. It seems like people are way too uptight. But maybe it's just me. I think I need to up my meds!!

Om.

Posted by: Ms. Q at November 2, 2005 12:24 PM

This morning, leaving the house for work, I fell down half of a really steep hill. Stupid gravity.

Posted by: samantha at November 2, 2005 12:27 PM

You know this if you've read my blog, but this morning I tore my room apart looking for my other sock, which happened to be ON MY FOOT at the time. Fucking lack of consciousness.

I am having a crap time with NaNoWriMo and I'm about to start those 540 words OVER because I am too much of a damn perfectionist. Argh.

Posted by: Rhonda at November 2, 2005 12:35 PM

Thank you, Chris! I finally get to say that I'm really a 14th century ninja trapped in a lesbian's body-oh my! :)

Ok, not-so-much, but I really just want to vent (and maybe that brings out the ninja in me). Thanks to my asshat host, I've lost over a years worth of writing and am having to start completely over with my blog. I'm going into withdrawals while simultaneously freaking out. Starting over. From scratch. FuckFuckFuck.

Posted by: Bayou at November 2, 2005 12:47 PM

i have a long lost younger identical twin brother who looks nothing like me that my mom doesn't even know about.

Posted by: jodi at November 2, 2005 12:53 PM

DELURK! and rant
don't you hate it when you've convinced yourself that NOOOO you haven't gained any weight - you're still thin and attractive! of course you are!!!

Until you take your jeans off at the end of the day and you can see the seam lines on your legs.

Posted by: suzanne at November 2, 2005 12:53 PM

Here's one. I think my child is the anti-christ. At least for today. During his nap, I plan to tie my own tubes with a steak knife.

Posted by: Lisa B at November 2, 2005 1:11 PM

Rant: some moronic dirtbag of an asshat teed-off on the nice ceramic birdfeeder hanging from my front porch and BROKE IT.

oh wait... it was me

um... hi!

Posted by: sawni at November 2, 2005 1:19 PM

Admission: I am to damn old to be going to rap concerts. Oh crap I'm still sore, ugh.

Posted by: Jeff A at November 2, 2005 1:22 PM

The Rant: I'm pissed at J's GM at the hotel for blaming something on him that he had no control over. He cleaned up the mess that someone else made and she can't see past that. She is too chicken-shit to talk to the corp executive about giving J his promised (and overdue) 6 month review, but she's two-faced about it saying she's spoken to him several times about it and he's just really "busy."
And I hate the fact that she's too ignorant to see that J's planning and food sales have saved the hotel since he got there (in Feb). I don't know if she's purposely overlooking it or she's in some fantasy world that if she gives away rooms she'll make money - and J has nothing to do with covering her losses. Dumb bitch.

The Admission: Part of me fears that I'll never get this freelancing/stationery goal off the ground and I'll be forced to work in an office the rest of my life doing paperwork and nothing creative.

Posted by: Kitty at November 2, 2005 1:26 PM

the rant - I hate women drivers.

the admission - I want to fling poo (just once)

Posted by: Anna Banana at November 2, 2005 1:35 PM

I'm so sick of a clothing industry that thinks it's appropriate for a girl to dress like a ho. I do not want anybody outside the family to see my daughters' belly buttons (or more). And WTF was Abercrombie and Fitch thinking when they designed a t-shirt for girls that says "I don't need a brain. I have these." What moron thought that was a good idea?

Posted by: Carolyn at November 2, 2005 1:38 PM

Oh my god, this one's a record breaker. :)

The De-Lurk: I've been reading but work is just kicking my ass in all sorts of ways. Why didn't someone warn me about working more than 60 hrs a week? ;)

The Rant: People can be really stupid sometimes. Some people really think it's ok to upload a 4.5mb image to use in a post.

The Admission: Umm... don't really know what to say here. Don't really have anything that shocking.

Posted by: Carla at November 2, 2005 1:55 PM

De-lurking: Too late, I did that awhile ago. Now you're probalby just sick of me. :)

Rant: I can't stand it when my text messages are ignored!!!

Admission: I now read your blog before any of my girlfriends blogs because you're is just...well just cool! :)

Posted by: VirgoJen at November 2, 2005 2:25 PM

PS. Another admission: I LOVE the word FUCK!

Posted by: VirgoJen at November 2, 2005 2:26 PM

The De-Lurk: OK, here I am. Although I comment occasionally, but not recently, I think.

The Rant: Alito. Can I rant about Alito? Or maybe I can rant about how the entire Bush support team of criminals should be indicted and sent to prison for many, many years? But no, I'll rant about my ninth-grade asshat students who can't shut up for THREE MINUTES while I give class directions, because that's what kind of mood I'm in today.

The Admission: I'm afraid to climb spiral staircases. Terrified.

Posted by: Jen at November 2, 2005 2:49 PM

I forgot an admission in my previous post. Hmmm Right now in my bedroom there is a zorro mask, pirate hat, eye patch, cape and sword. :)
How's that for an admission? lol

Posted by: dragonlady474 at November 2, 2005 2:49 PM

The De-Lurk: Well, I de-lurked the other day when you posted the list of songs that included Mike Doughty's cover of "The Gambler," so I'll just add that if you haven't seen Doughty live yet - you should. The man is incredibly talented.

The Rant: The higher-ups in my company are incredibly shady. They recently mentioned wanting to hire another person in my position - like, there would be two of us. Then they posted the job specs and suddenly it's for someone with more experience, but they don't mention this to me (they showed me the specs without this additional requirement), then they interview people in the office on the one day I work from home. When I asked what was going on, they acted like I was being paranoid, which I nearly agreed with until I discovered that their top candidate is someone straight out of college with 2 months experience as an intern in the field (I've been in this field/with this company for 2 years & have 4 years of prof exp in a VERY related field prior to working here), but they want to hire this person as my "counterpart" with the same title, responsibilities and, as I discovered thru a little research, a higher salary than me. And on top of this, I have repeatedly asked for more responsibilty/opportunities and have been denied, even though I get excellent reviews & got a solid raise and bonus last year. So yeah, shady people suck. I have to get a new job b/c of this BS. If they weren't so shady I would be able to trust them and believe when they say this is a good thing for me and won't impact my job. Not having been born yesterday, however, I am less inclined to take them at their word. In fact, I think they're just appeasing me to keep me around while they hire and train my replacement. (And yes, in case you're wondering, there are days where I can seriously relate to several of the characters in the movie Office Space.)

The Admission: My mother hasn't spoken to me in nearly four years. And, even though I really do miss her sometimes, there's a part of me that knows that my life is much simpler (and more pleasant) without her in it. Mostly though, thinking about it just makes me sad.

Posted by: erin at November 2, 2005 2:54 PM

Admission/Rant (one for two!):

I got to be a human pin cushion today. I had 6 shots at the dr's (going to africa in Dec), and then I passed out after the last one... and woke up a few seconds later on the floor of the exam room, my nose a little worse the wear as I landed on my face. And I really wanted to blog it, but I can't because my daughter reads my blog and I don't want to get her freaked out about getting shots.

So there you go: I don't like shots and it's really annoying that I have to watch what I say on my own blog!

Posted by: L at November 2, 2005 3:13 PM

I hate hippies. Well, that's not entirely true. I hate my hippie sister-in-law. Well, I don't actually hate her, but I think she's a clueless using bitch. And for the life of me I don't understand why she thinks we should pay her credit card bill. We've flown her useless white ass cross-country several times to visit her other sister when she was sick and dying and then for the funeral. And now she's inviting her hippie friends to stay with us up here in Pete. What the fuck is the matter with her?

Oh yeah. She smokes way too much pot. She sings a blessing song before every joint, though it doesn't stop her from believing the devas actually hold up airplane wings to help them fly. I. Kid. You. Not. I think she should go on the road as the anti-drug.

Posted by: bhd at November 2, 2005 3:20 PM

The De-Lurk: Hi! Been reading for a few months, and this'll be comment #2. I fear that what I type doesn't actually come off the way it did in my head, ya know?

The Rant: I have 2, actually. I have a work hemmerhoid. For 3 years now. The most immature, emotionally stunted functionally retarded human being in the universe happens to be situated in the cubicle next door to me. She eavesdrops on my (hushed) phone conversations and then proceeds to repeat my personal business to everyone in the office, purporting herself to be my bestest friend in the whole wide world. She goes out of her way to make more work for us, and will spend 20 minutes making excuses for why she shouldn't have to do something, or didn't do something, when it would take 2 minutes to actually do her job. She's also a total ass clown who thinks that every client who calls here is her best friend, and has to laugh & joke & basically drive me to the point of stabbing myself in the temple with a sharp pencil. Which leads into #2.

Now, last Monday, we got kicked in the proverbial nuts by hurricane Wilma. Haven't had power at home for 9 days as of today, no hot water, and general crankiness as a result of 90% humidity and 85 degree weather. We lost 1/3 of our roof, had a tree destroy our fence & deck, and then some idiot who doesn't understand the whole "secure your property" loses his entire screened, roofed patio, which careens down the street in 125+ mph winds like a tumbleweed through the desert, only to crash land and crush 4 cars. 1 of which is my husband's. Meaning lots of crap and aggravation, lots of repairs, insurance issues, and the removal of debris. Yesterday? Rained like we needed a frigging arc. And proceeded to flood my 2nd story master bedroom. Wet carpet, wet furniture, and wet cats who decided that soggy carpet = makeshift litterbox. I so hate my fricking life at this moment. Ass clown from work? Suffered the loss of power for 2 days, and is bitching that she has branch scratches on her shitty little Hyundai, and that she needs to get it repainted, stat. And her cable "goes in & out." I am currently fighting the urge to jump the wall and beat the living hell out of her. Fucking crybaby. It is taking every last bit of self restaint I have to not explode and let 3 years of frustration out on her all at once. Although, it would so be worth it to see her cry. Can I get an extra vacation day if I make her leave early because "she can't take it?"

The Admission: I can't go to sleep if a gecko/lizard/salamander gets into the house. I am absolutely certain that it will fall on my face while I am sleeping. And I totally freak out if something touches my face while I am sleeping.

Posted by: Jennifer at November 2, 2005 3:23 PM

ok, my turn now:

rant:: i am so sick of worrying about money. i work for a small, local business and don't get paid all that much. the company is involved in real estate, so it fluctuates a lot given the current market situations. right now? it's pretty slow. i can't really ask for a raise because i know the company is struggling right now. but damn, i need some more money. i have to charge GROCERIES on my credit card. but it could definitely be worse. at least i can still pay all of my bills. and for that, i'm thankful.

admission:: i think a man who wears a bit of eyeliner is HOT (ie: Johnny Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' or Billie Joe from Green Day).

Posted by: Judy at November 2, 2005 3:40 PM

De-lurk: Blah. Blah blah blah.

Rant: After I got home this morning I laid down on the couch and fell asleep for FOUR HOURS.

Admission: I'm not sure we're going to make it financially. The more guilty I feel, the less studying I get done, as if to prove that I'm not worthy.

Posted by: Stacy at November 2, 2005 3:57 PM

I've made so many comments to myself about RudeCactus that I don't feel like a newbie. Mostly just comments like, "Damn, she's (Mia) cute!"

Rant: My daughter's preschool gets let out 6-7 minutes early every day. Not a big deal right? Except that the poor kids think their parents don't love them enough to be on time! I am considering telling her that I am being late on principle! Then taking her out for ice cream.

Admission: I really don't want any more kids, but shhh don't tell my husband. I keep letting him think we'll have another.

Posted by: brenda at November 2, 2005 3:59 PM

I am Kaiser Soze.

Whew. Now I can stop with that ridiculous limp. ;)

Posted by: Pammer at November 2, 2005 4:56 PM

De-lurk: Found your site a few days ago and have come back every day since.

Rant: I'm so sick and tired of my MIL not listening to anything I say to her. She makes rude and cruel comments about me, and is all sugary sweet to my face but doesn't listen to a word I say when I tell her to stop buying stuff for the baby... She's in a different country than we are at the moment and I've YET to see all this crap she's been buying, even though she keeps saying she's going to ship it over. And I'm way over her telling me to NOT to buy certain items because SHE'S already bought them.

Admission: I wish my fiance was a little bit more assertive.

Posted by: e at November 2, 2005 4:56 PM

Oh geez... Chris are you really going to read all of this?
De-lurk: I don't really need to do this eh?

Rant: Why does the City of Ottawa choose to dig up two parallel arteries of the City. And use one as a redirect to the other. It's not as if people here don't know how to drive. Seriously...

And what is up with the temperature in my office, I mean I shouldn't have to worry about space heaters blowing fuses. (Anyone need a frustrated writer?)

Admission: I'm worry that this is all there is..

Posted by: Nat at November 2, 2005 5:04 PM

The Rant: I want to leave a cute, clever comment on Chris' blog and there are 80 - count 'em - EIGHTY comments already!!! No way in hell I'm gonna beat one of those people to the punch. Damn. I'm always late.

Posted by: sue at November 2, 2005 5:07 PM

OMG, I'm the 81st comment on this post... can I be more late?

Posted by: ava at November 2, 2005 5:09 PM

I sucked my thumb for 12 years when I was a kid. From the time I was 2 until I was 14.

Shhhh...don't tell anybody.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at November 2, 2005 5:52 PM

I guess this is a combination of all three - Delurking - I have been reading you for awhile now through your wife's site. Admission - She is on my favorites, but I still haven't added you. Rant - Also, it was a PITA to have to scroll down so many comments to be able to post one. Maybe that is why I have not commented before. Yeah, that sounds like a good excuse.

Posted by: Marlen at November 2, 2005 6:02 PM

De-Lurk: I've been reading you for a couple months and I'm a big fan. I haven't started my shrine for you yet....I think I'll wait 'til after the holidays.

Rant and admission: I can't stand my job!! We're "re-orging" and I hate it! Hate it!! I want to be happy for my boss and her promotion but I can't because it's totally screwing the rest of it.

Posted by: J.J. at November 2, 2005 7:14 PM

De-lurk: I've commented before. But not for a while. I still read though. Hopefully that's not creepy. I also grin whenever you post baby pictures.

Rant: I was at the Lions game on Sunday, and they recognized former Giants owner Wellington mara in the same tribute as Rosa Parks. Um, hello. Inappropriate.

Admission: I almost put "surf other blogs to generate traffic to mine" on a to-do list the other day. Shameful, though I am a blogosphere delinquent as of late. And Full House? Pisses me off, because I'm pretty sure that house is an architectual impossibility.

Posted by: susannah at November 2, 2005 7:21 PM

I have this strange obsession with meeting the Mighty Rude Cactus. We work so close to each other that you would think it would have happened by now but his beautiful wife and daughter are the focus of his life as they should be. I am jealous of his musical knowledge and his office with a view.

Posted by: goodsnake at November 2, 2005 8:50 PM

I'm sick of work and need a vacation! I still read your blog everyday, sorry I haven't commented in a while. Yours is one of the best blogs out there, thanks for the great writing and pictures. Blog on, brother!

Posted by: Milly at November 2, 2005 8:51 PM

I can't de-lurk. I can hardly ever resist the urge to comment!

My Rant: I hate that my office building is so cold that it drove me to purchase a heated blanket which leaves white fuzz on my pants and makes me look foolish daily.

My Admission: I am leaving most of my wedding planning up to my mother because I have never been a party person, but now, she's half freaking out over talking to the coordinator about everything, and I don't even understand why because she can't really explain it to me, but I feel guilty that I have somehow inflicted some sort of frustration on her that I can't seem to take away again.

Posted by: Emily at November 2, 2005 8:59 PM

1. I'm sick (head cold).
2. I saw some abortion protestors with VERY GRAPHIC SIGNS in town today.
3. I blew a tire out coming home tonight.

How's that for a trifecta!?!

Posted by: Stephanie at November 2, 2005 9:42 PM

I go to one of the best public universities in the country and I hate it here. I'm homesick every day. I feel like I'm in over my head and I have absolutely no idea why I'm here. I've barely gone to class in three weeks.

Posted by: Éireann at November 2, 2005 9:52 PM

Rant: I cannot stand people who hate people and call them "nasty c*nts" for their imagined "judgement" - then turn around and judge that person. I cannot stand hypocrits who think they are better than others or more open-minded or more whatever, but they are doing the same things that they're crucifying others for. I cannot stand people who bring others down simply because of a difference in opinion. I hate it when people make assumptions based on one small part of the picture about someone else. People have no idea what someone else is going through on a daily basis or what it is that they struggle with WHO THEY REALLY ARE; yet they condemn them, make fun of them, make cruel remarks, etc. It's just bogus. People need to think twice before they speak.

Posted by: Amber at November 2, 2005 10:01 PM

I'm sick of my "friends" who are flakey and inconsiderate. I try to go out of my way for people and am constantly shafted or forgotten and it's very very annoying. I have a feeling these people are clueless but that is no excuse. I'm also sick of always trying to seek out new friends. What the fuck is wrong with me? One really starts to wonder after a while. GAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

And on a side note - the first "semi-public" screening of my feature length film is tomorrow night and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!!

Posted by: carrster at November 3, 2005 12:19 AM

I'm really sick of reading mommy blogs where the "moms" are clearly not doing a great job, or even delaying the development of the child. And when I say privately in email or sometimes in comments that I don't agree with everyone else or that maybe they should seek professional help—I get called an asshat. Seriously think of something new already.

I'm sick of so many of you moms whom join in on the band wagon saying...Oh really it's okay that your child does this and that doesn’t' walk or talk at two. It's okay that you want to shake your children; it's okay that you leave animals crawling over your day old baby!! When you clearly KNOW what goes on in that house is NOT normal. But you all kiss Internet ass to look like you're one of the "Gang." People you're NOT helping her by placating her, speak up, speak the truth. It really does take a village to raise a child and I'm sick of being the only townsfolk who says anything.

Have some fucking balls for a change!

Posted by: Not Going to Say This time at November 3, 2005 12:38 AM

I refuse to be among the masses....some random comment to pump up you and your blog! We are closer than that mister!!! But I think I make #95...wow that is so cool!!! :) ahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Kate at November 3, 2005 12:48 AM

Boy, I could have used the permission to rant a year ago (about my former boss and job). Today life is so mundane! Two kids, no shower, no sleep and craving chocolate. Thank you very much for the audience!

Posted by: Krista at November 3, 2005 5:03 AM

Admission - I just KNEW it! I knew Virgo Jen read your blog before mine now.........

Damn her and your penis lol! ha ha!

PS Your blog is VERY cool. I don't blame her, sorta ha ha!

Posted by: Kelly at November 3, 2005 7:46 AM

uuummmm typo, that should say "reads"

Am I number 100 yet?! ;)

Posted by: Kelly at November 3, 2005 7:48 AM

is there a prize for being number 100?!

Posted by: Kelly at November 3, 2005 7:49 AM

100?!?! :):)

Posted by: Kelly at November 3, 2005 7:49 AM

The Rant - well, I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual.

The Admission - I'd rather be late than not be around at all.

Posted by: jaynedarcy at November 4, 2005 5:01 AM

Admission: I *hate* seeing the number 100 when it is so easy to make it much more symmetric and aesthetically pleasing by adding just/i> one more...

Number 101 I love you!!

Posted by: Amber at November 5, 2005 6:47 PM

Just de-lurking. Um. Three days late. 'Cause I'm not an "every day" kinda person. Rant: co-workers who can't remember what they said a week ago; co-workers who get mad at you for both doing something one way and also for doing it the exact opposite way; co-workers who are very defensive; co-workers who are incapable of communicating; co-workers who write email without prounouns or complete sentences so that those emails have to be deciphered like a code; One co-worker who is ALL OF THESE THINGS.

Posted by: dollyllama at November 5, 2005 10:16 PM