November 21, 2005

Monday Randomness

Welcome to Monday morning's almost completely random and most likely incomprehensible post!

Part One: I Should Start Hallucinating Soon
Things there were a lot of this weekend:
Smiling, happy babies; grandparents; playing; book-reading; walks; and drooling (primarily Mia).

Things there were not a lot of this weekend:
Sleep; snoozing; napping; and on top of that, shut-eye and catching z's.

Yes, this weekend? Mia was wired. If I had to guess, I'd say she snuck out a couple times a day to hit the local Starbucks. Probably just put on little pink chaps and hitched a ride on one of the cats. No matter how it happened, the kid wouldn't sleep. We'll try it again tonight and see what happens. Cross your fingers.

Part Two: Where Everybody Knows Your Name
Now, to illustrate how utterly predictable I am, I went to Dunkin Donuts as usual this morning. Of course, when I pulled up in front, I realized I'd left all my cash at home. So, I pulled out, paid a friendly visit to the local ATM and headed back. When I walked in, there was my cup of coffee and donuts waiting for me.

DD Owner: What happened?
Me: What?
DD Owner: You pulled up then drove away.
Me: Oh, I forgot cash.
DD Cashier: You called it!
DD Owner: Yep. I figured that's what happened.
DD Cashier: All your stuff was ready to go! We were worried you weren't coming back.
DD Owner: You know, if that ever happens again, we can afford to spot you breakfast.

Part Three: Obligatory Musical Content
And, since this post is almost entirely random (cut me some slack, I'm tired), I leave you with the top ten from my Monday morning playlist:

You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
Punk Rock Princess - Something Corporate
Without Love - Satchel
Champagne Supernova - Matt Pond PA
Come In Out Of The Rain - Engineers
She's Gone - Hall & Oates
Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
78 Stone Wobble - Gomez
Move Along - All American Rejects
Yellow Ledbetter (live) - Pearl Jam

Posted by Chris at November 21, 2005 8:02 AM
Comments

wow. dunkin donuts already has your breakfast ready and waiting for you? thats impressive

Posted by: steph at November 21, 2005 8:09 AM

The donut part is really impressive. When you were 21 or so, did you ever have a bar that 'knew your name'?

I had 3! Alas I am now old and not-so-alcoholic anymore...the Husband and I do however have a Sunday morning breakfast spot where we don't consult menues anymore..:*)

Posted by: wn at November 21, 2005 8:14 AM

*laughs@dunkin donuts*
They know that I have a large coffee cream extra sugar. They laugh at me and ask if I want any coffee with my sugar. Smart alecks! But you are a lucky one!! DUDE! They would spot you if you forgot your money!! I bow to your greatness. =)

Posted by: Lauren at November 21, 2005 8:20 AM

You say predictable, I say glorious. I love when places know me well enough to know what I want to order before I even utter a word. Of course, for that to happen, you have to live there, but it's a small price to pay. Same thing happened to me in a DD once. I went in, placed my order and only then did I realize I had no wallet. "Just pay us next time you come," the owner said. That was the best day. :sigh:

Sorry you didn't get any sleep over the weekend. I hope Mia's Starbuck's buzz wears off soon!

Posted by: pea at November 21, 2005 8:20 AM

Just the thought of Mia riding away on one of the cats...too funny. The Dunkin Donuts story? Very kind and sweet. What a nice way to start Monday!

Posted by: samantha at November 21, 2005 8:30 AM

It must be nice to feel like "The Man"...damn, I wish the local donut shop (Yum-Yum Donuts) would remember what I like! The pizza joint that I go to remembers my order...2 slices mushroom with a Rosie's iced tea. Can't go wrong. It's pretty sweet when you go to places like that and they know who you are. However there are places that I'd rather not have people know my name..Like the police department, FBI, CIA...that just gets a little creepy...those dudes know EVERYTHING!!!

Posted by: Michelle at November 21, 2005 8:37 AM

Damn near no one knows about Yellow Ledbetter. It is the greatest PJ, is it not?

Posted by: shannon at November 21, 2005 8:41 AM

You have Satchel!!! You are my hero! I love Satchel. "Suffering" is a great song. Have you ever heard of Brad? Brad is band that the Satchel singer was last in.

Posted by: ::c:: at November 21, 2005 8:53 AM

Wow, you must be a Dunkin Doughnut VIP. That must have gotten your day off to a good start!

Posted by: alfredsmom at November 21, 2005 9:09 AM

That's so cute, that Dunkin Donuts has your order all ready. The ones near us seem to be creepy cabbie hangouts with cashiers who like to get handsy with your food.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 21, 2005 9:17 AM

I had a small pizza place that I ordered from all of the time and they knew my voice when I called in. I didn't even have to order really, they'd just say, "do you want the usual" and I'd say "yep". When I told them I was moving south the owner delivered my last order and hugged me and said they'd go broke without me LOL!

Posted by: dragonlady474 at November 21, 2005 9:19 AM

I am happy that I know 4 of your songs today. I hope the babe sleeps tonight.

Posted by: TTL at November 21, 2005 9:46 AM

The Rolling Stones song....You can't always get what you want....Is one of our family's favorite X-mas songs. we always play it X-mas morning as we are seeing what Santa brought!!! Happy holidays !

Posted by: Spinner at November 21, 2005 9:47 AM

damn, thats pull you got their at Dunkin Donuts. I think thats a sign that you have truly made it in today's society, congrats!

Posted by: E at November 21, 2005 10:03 AM

HEY! I just saw Matt Pond PA this weekend... they opened for Guster in NYC. I had never heard of them before.... but everyone around me was screaming for Champagne Supernova! Now I know they werent all just drunk!

Enjoy your sleepy Monday

Posted by: Mich at November 21, 2005 10:12 AM

I want a Dunkin Donuts like that in my town.

Posted by: amber at November 21, 2005 10:15 AM

For me, it's the local Dairy Queen...I went in one night to get Blizzards for the teenaged-hormones-masquerading-as-my-children and thought I didn't have enough cash. 'Don't worry about it- you can just pay next time,' the owner told me.

Sigh.

Posted by: lucy at November 21, 2005 10:15 AM

HAHAHAHAHA to number 2.

I desperately need to have access to my CDs and music back in Cackalak...Ledbetter is one of my favorite songs and all, but right now I really need to hear You Can't Always Get What You Want. Hmmmm...

The Rusted Root cover isn't bad, either.

Posted by: Éireann at November 21, 2005 10:20 AM

Wow. The Tim Hortons we go to? Never have to order. They see us coming and it's waiting at the window, lol.

Posted by: Theresa at November 21, 2005 10:43 AM

Heck, I used to order food from drive-thru's all the time and just pull on all the way through and forgot that I had ordered anything.

Yeah, I'm smrat.

Posted by: sledge at November 21, 2005 10:46 AM

You listed SoCo, I thought I was the only who listened to them! Good Monday Morning Playlist.

I wish I has a nice DD owner like that, the one by me scares me.

Posted by: ash at November 21, 2005 10:53 AM

My DD guys are like that too. Except no donuts because I am trying to be good. They have my large french vanilla with cream and sugear coffee all stirred up and ready to go and all I have to do is throw $2 at them and leave.

In conclusion, She's Gone is probably the most poignant and wonderful song ever penned by H&O. Kudos.

Posted by: melati at November 21, 2005 11:04 AM

That's some nice stuff there - should leave you smiling for a while - I know I will be! Esp. the playlist - Champagne Supernova, Yellow Ledbetter AND She's Gone! I have nice Brain Songs going on right now...Thanks!!!

Posted by: Sue at November 21, 2005 11:15 AM

Can I just say I am SO jealous you have Dunkin Donuts. We don't have that here :( I miss out on all the yummie food!

Posted by: Sweety at November 21, 2005 12:12 PM

I was getting a little nervous for customer service as I read the DD section.

I mean, if you stop there every day, surely they'll letcha run a tab when you're short??

Posted by: kalisah at November 21, 2005 12:27 PM

Mmmm... free donuts and coffee to make up for the lack of sleep. Maybe Mia is sneaking out to tell people she's not letting you sleep...

Posted by: alektra at November 21, 2005 12:27 PM

That was very kind of the DD Owner. Makes sense though. If you go in there five days a week, I guess you're not going to suddenly stop your routine because you got a free coffee and doughnuts. :)

Posted by: Zandria at November 21, 2005 12:34 PM

That's kinda amusing and yet sweet that your DD people know you so well. I went into Tim Horton's once a week for a while, every Sunday morning, and they wer ealways like, "Large Mocha to go?" "Yes please." heh. Also, I like Punk Rock Princess. My little sister's dance school used the acoustic version in their end of year show last year.

Posted by: Heather at November 21, 2005 1:05 PM

awww... it's good when the donut people have your back.

Posted by: jodi at November 21, 2005 1:29 PM

There's something very comfortable about being a regular. I always buy the same brand and amount of ham at the deli, and they all know what I want now and I don't even have to say a word. I just show up and they slide it up and give it to me. Other people in line think its really funny.

Sometimes I ask for sliced turkey to mess with them.

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at November 21, 2005 2:48 PM

speaking of random randomness, do you guys eat tofurkey for thanksgiving?? i tried it one year in a sad attempt to impress this girl. it wasn't too bad, actually!!

Posted by: misifoota at November 21, 2005 2:55 PM

Very funny.

Posted by: Lisa V at November 21, 2005 3:46 PM

That DD thing is so funny and cool. I have a relationship like that at Mobile station. The ladies see me coming to get my Coke Cocktail (3/4 diet and 1/4 reg coke.)

I hope Mia sleeps soon. If not, bring her over to my house. I can have my husband talk about what he does for a living (manufacturing systems integration engineer.)

Posted by: Lisa B at November 21, 2005 3:47 PM

That is hilarious and way too cute.
PS. Thanks for all the music tips, I love most of them, and the ones I don't, it's just because I haven't heard them. Keep them coming!! ;)

Posted by: ava at November 21, 2005 5:19 PM

LMAO...wow, you must go to Dunkin' Donuts ALOT.

I read Beth's blog...ohhhh, I hope your little angel lets you sleep a little tonight.

Posted by: Colleen at November 21, 2005 5:23 PM

mmmm...dunkin' donuts....how i miss their coffee and donuts way up here in the great white north....

Posted by: ali at November 21, 2005 5:28 PM

Coffee, donuts... Pearl Jam, the Stones, Gomez...

And Hall and Oates???

Posted by: Nat at November 21, 2005 9:04 PM

Gotta love it when they know you're so reliable they would have spotted you one. :-) I can just imagine how they were really worried that you were calling it off once and for all and drove away. I can hear the hearts breaking all the way in Colorado.

Posted by: Amy at November 21, 2005 11:25 PM

I loved the stories! But didn't have a CLUE about the music... sorry!

Posted by: Amber at November 21, 2005 11:45 PM

You know what it means when you've become Mr. Predictable at Dunkin' Donuts, dont'cha? Yeah, me neither. But it might mean a little more spontaneity is in order...when you've had more sleep, I mean.

Posted by: Marilyn at November 21, 2005 11:57 PM

I love that the owner of DD embraces you! You are special and they can see it! : )

Posted by: Gypsy at November 24, 2005 11:58 AM

Don't you acknowledge that it's correct time to receive the loan, which would make your dreams come true.

Posted by: ChandlerTerry at April 6, 2010 1:17 PM