November 18, 2005

Sleep Deprivation Friday!

Words...sentences...string words together to make sentences...

I'm working from home today. Which is a real plus because I don't think I'd make it into work anyway. You see, we're on the third consecutive night of no sleep. Or very little sleep. Mia sleeps like a log (and why is that a well-used simile? It makes no sense.) while Beth and I are holding her. But the minute we put her down? Gah! The betrayal! So, yeah, that's been fun. Although I can't complain too much since Beth's gotten the brunt of it. Have I mentioned how awesome she is lately? 'Cos she is.

Oh, also, can I introduce you to my new political hero? Rep. John Murtha did something extraordinary yesterday and he deserves some applause for it. It didn't look easy, but it did look right. He also has a cool name. Take the R out and he's one bad Mutha. (Hi, did I mention the no sleep thing?)

One last thing...I had a dream that my dad found my blog last night. It was terrifying until I realized that, well, it wasn't so terrifying. Also? It must have been a short dream to somehow wedge itself into my brain during the three and a half minutes of sleep I did somehow manage to get.

That's it. I'm out. Happy Friday, everyone!

Posted by Chris at November 18, 2005 7:16 AM
Comments

I'm working home for 1/2 day today, then 1/2 day vacation. Unfortunately, Don has to work. I guess I'll go shopping.

I have so much vacation left (and am hardly able to take it) that I'm going to be taking many 1/2 days this month and next.

Cas
Happy sleeping tonight.

Posted by: cassie-b at November 18, 2005 7:30 AM

For some strange reason I thought your parents knew about your blog.

I hope you and Beth manage to get some sleep this weekend. ♥

Posted by: pea at November 18, 2005 7:44 AM

Yay! That Mutha is from my home state! It's nice to hear about people other than that nutjob Santorum.

As for the sleep thing, it will get better. I can't tell you when, but it will.

Posted by: Alison at November 18, 2005 8:23 AM

Yeah - me too - I thought your parents knew about it - how could they not?

I'm sorry to hear about Mia. That's a real bummer - is she warm enough in her bed? Is she maybe sick or teething?

Posted by: Marie at November 18, 2005 8:25 AM

happy friday! good luck with the whole mia sleep thing.

Posted by: steph at November 18, 2005 8:38 AM

Happy Friday! Hope you guys can get some sleep soon.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 18, 2005 9:02 AM

I have three letters for you - N-A-P.

Posted by: Theresa at November 18, 2005 9:12 AM

oh no! despite all my bitching, i'd never have wished the no-sleeping upon you guys. hope mia realizes that your arms really aren't that comfortable and soon gets back to her crib.

and? i'm so relieved someone in power finally said what that bad murtha-f(shut yo mouth!) said.

Posted by: misifoota at November 18, 2005 9:14 AM

Just have to say that YAY Pennsylvania! Cos Murtha is ours. Also, my grandparents always lived across the street from a family of 9, the Murthas. They just moved out, but I'm glad that there are still Murthas in my life.

Hope you get some rest. No swing or bouncy seat works? :( (I know the answer is no, but I am crossing my fingers for you.)

Posted by: alektra at November 18, 2005 9:15 AM

I have advice about the kid sleeping.
You haven't asked, so I'm not offering unsolicited.
Email me.

It DOES get better....
really it does.

Posted by: speckledpup at November 18, 2005 9:48 AM

I'm sorry you two aren't getting any sleep, it eventually gets better, unfortunately, no set timeline as to when.

Forgive me if you mentioned this somewhere in your blog, but are you cosleeping? As horrendous an idea I thought that was after the birth of my firstchild, it's the only way I am surviving the third. :)

Posted by: A.K. at November 18, 2005 10:08 AM

Wah about the sleeping... As for Murtha - he showed the courage to actually serve his country in the Military and has Purple Hearts which mean he sacrificed more than his time. His words mean more than someone's (W's) that - from his own quotes - "doesn't even watch the news". I won't go on - it's too pleasant a Friday for a rant, but I agree, Murtha did an extraordinary thing! He IS a bad Mutha ;)

Posted by: Sue at November 18, 2005 10:23 AM

We are going through the exact same thing with our baby. It sucks. I think I may loose my mind very soon. Good luck to you!

Posted by: shannon at November 18, 2005 10:23 AM

Happy Friday, Chris. I'm tipping my big cup of coffee in your direction - cheers!

Posted by: SpaceCase at November 18, 2005 10:28 AM

Three and a half? A half? I'm jealous. I only got three. I'm begining to really not like Friday's at all!

Happy one to you anyway.

Posted by: VirgoJen at November 18, 2005 10:29 AM

I'm not so good on no sleep, so I'm impressed you're online at all. If I were, my post would look like this:
frfjz"vgs:VDSKjvgmmdsa kc?Wle'owinmr kjfdsvdgh; a

Becuase my face would be on the keyboard.

Posted by: ~L. at November 18, 2005 10:38 AM

i'm working from home today as well. but i'm well rested... so i probably don't deserve to.

lately, i've sorta had a crush on barak obama.

Posted by: jodi at November 18, 2005 11:48 AM

I am often afraid that family/friends will find my blog. And then I remember that my family is full of idiots that can't figure out the Internet and don't know what a blog is.

I am safe, for now.

Happy Friday...and try to squeeze a nap in there.

Posted by: Isabel at November 18, 2005 11:53 AM

Right on, Murtha. He's one bad murthafurcka.

Posted by: Lizzie at November 18, 2005 11:55 AM

Wow this is almost identical with Mia as it was with my little guy. Hunter was the same way! He'd sleep for hours on my chest, but putting him in his bassinet or his crib..no way mommy! So since I breast-fed he slept with us, in the crook of my arm. Honestly he did this till he was about a year. I have to tell you he's an awesome 7 year old, so if that's the price you have to pay, it's so worth it.

I'm not from the school where you let the baby cry herself to sleep. I'm for the school, of love and hugs and the child will wean themselves as they get older.

I have to honest I don't know who that bad Mutha is...I need to get my head of clouds.

RYC: Thank you. I loved doing it. When I dropped him off this morning one of the kids pointed to me and said to his mom" That's Hunter's mom the funny one!" I love kids.

Posted by: Michele at November 18, 2005 12:12 PM

here's my unsolicited assvice

You have to teach Mia to put herself to sleep. You can't let her go to sleep while you're holding her. Let her get good & drowsy and near sleep, then put her in her bed and pat her gently until she's sleeping.

It will take a few nights, but it will be worth it.

Posted by: kalisah at November 18, 2005 12:27 PM

A family friend sent my blog to her parents who then sent it to my mom, which isn't that big of a deal since I don't generally talk about anything too innapropriate. However, the former English teacher in my mom could not resist saying that it was well written, but full of grammar errors. Doesn't she know the internet doesn't care about grammar?

I say take a nap. I might do the same.

Posted by: smartjuice at November 18, 2005 12:43 PM

sounds more like a nightmare to me.... if my dad found my blog.... hmmmmm. would that mean I would have to actually contact him?

Posted by: walter at November 18, 2005 1:09 PM

lmao re: Murtha/Mutha!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at November 18, 2005 1:13 PM

I think fridays are the perfect days for random thoughts. They also make great working from home days, but then again, maybe not (at least not for me). Good luck with the sleeping thing tonight!

Posted by: Heather B. at November 18, 2005 1:32 PM

Yep, he's one bad Mutha - and no, I don't think that's a bad pun. Then again, remember I'm the jetlaged one, so maybe it is the lack of sleep.

Posted by: Heather at November 18, 2005 1:50 PM

Yeah... happy Friday! :D

Posted by: nina at November 18, 2005 1:56 PM

Happy Friday to you too, Chris.

And I've been hearing about the Mutha thing on NPR non-stop.

Posted by: Anne at November 18, 2005 3:01 PM

Also, they use the word quagmire in the article, and that's a cool word. I too am sleep deprived, so most of it went over my head. :) Seems like I agree though.

Posted by: Heather at November 18, 2005 4:07 PM

My parents know nothing of my blog. They would die of shame and disappointment if they did. heh

Posted by: Rhonda at November 18, 2005 4:49 PM

I totally understand about the sleep deprivation. While I have been sleeping well lately, I have had some nights in the recent past where I wake up literally every ten minutes on the dot. And I don't have a crying baby to name as the cause. I am still going to blame it on the time change, though.

Posted by: Katie Snickrsnack at November 18, 2005 5:42 PM

Ha! and HAHAHAHA. My dad reads my blog. As does my mother and a few of my aunts and various cousins. And my sister.

And I told them when I started it that I was doing it so that they would have a chance to keep track of me when I went away to school, but that I was going to be insanely honest. Hence the blog's title. And I continued to warn of this.

And then I found out that they were gossiping behind my back about my supposed alcoholism and the fact that I swear too much.

I'm an alcoholic, you know, because I got drunk on Halloween. Together with 80,000 other people who drove from places far away to party at UNC. My family thinks they might need an intervention.

So I shy away from being completely honest, and even started ANOTHER, more hidden blog (aside from my livejournal which just proves what a blogging whore I AM) in which I could be totally honest with people who would understand the point of being totally honest.

Blogging is such a political sport, isn't it?

Posted by: Éireann at November 18, 2005 6:00 PM

THANK GOD it's OVERRRRRR! Plus? Just so you're all properly jealous? I'm not going back to work until the 28th. AND? I'm spending minimal time with family! YAY ME!

Posted by: Queen Of Ass at November 18, 2005 11:45 PM

Well I hope you're getting better sleep than J and I. He's going through a round of insomnia and I feel bad for him so I stay awake with him and try to get him to fall asleep. I swear I drank about 8 cups of coffee yesterday...

Posted by: Kitty at November 19, 2005 9:58 AM

Surprisingly (?) I too am the murtha of 2 wee beasties (actually not so wee anymore) 9 + 12 ...jeepers, when did that happen !?

I, like kalisah highly recommend you start the sleep training...yep, it is possible...and you are way more likely to 1. return to your normal non-sleep deprived self 2. have sex again before the next election.

I have 2 beautiful, smart and hilariously funny kids (get the beauty from their father, the brains and the humour from me...) whom I adore. They have never condemned me for their sleep training or love me any less. Babies like kids thrive from routine (now I sound like my
murtha.....ahhhhh....but it's true) As long as Mia is well fed, well burped (!) and warm (wrapped real snug, none of this loose blanky thing) she will sleep, but you must put her down or you will be holding her til she's 3. The "wait til she's real snoozy" is good and you must put her down super gently (practice with a bag of sugar/flour if you must!) Continue soothing quiet talk and stroking head. You must not give up......kids learn this one REAL quick...they will test you on this again and again for the rest of your days !!!!!

This worked for us, naturally you can take it or leave it, but we were enjoying 6 hrs in a row at 6 weeks with my gorgeous Francesca and at about 3 months with her sweet cheeky little brother, Louis.

Some folk say "you get what you are" with sleep and babies, and we are both solid "must have 8+hrs" characters that generally sleep like logs...yep, never thought about that...it is weird !! So if either of you were a light/short sleeper before Mia, you could be in trouble...sorry !!!!!

Hope that is of some help.

Hooray for that other Murtha !!!!

Posted by: englishthorn at November 19, 2005 1:01 PM

Wow. That no sleep thing sucks. Been there. Hazy memory because the memory is the first thing that goes....

My child started sleeping through the night on a regular basis at the age of 27 months. Girls, apparently, aren't that bad. Don't despair. Just, I feel your pain and especially your wifey's. :-)

Posted by: Lisa B at November 20, 2005 10:44 PM