December 26, 2005

Christmas Debrief

This is most likely the first of many Christmas-related entries, primarily because I haven't even had time to pull any of the 1.57 million pictures off my cameras nor have we sorted through the 8.29 billion presents cluttering our living room. But I figured a quick debrief was probably a good idea, so you'd know we hadn't been crushed under the weight of all the plastic we're now in the process of assembling for Mia.

First - our Mia-Bean is an absolute angel. On Christmas Eve, we were expected at my parents' house. Sadly, the shindig kicked off a little past Mia's normal bed-time. That combined with the fact that there were going to be tons of people led us to expect the worst. I mean, I really expected to be clocking myself over the head with an empty wine bottle by the end of the evening. We got the best. Mia was pleasant, sociable and overall had a good time. Which enabled us to have a good time. Even more impressive? She went right to sleep when we got home and slept through the night. I think she was wary of dissappointing Santa. Yesterday, Christmas, we headed over to Beth's parents' house for even more festivities. Again, Mia was perfect. I don't know what we did to deserve a child this perfect but clearly the bribe we slipped to the gods of karma paid off.

Second - oh my god the presents. My wife drives a small to mid-size SUV. We barely got all our gifts, the baby and ourselves home in it last night. The morning was spent assembling things and the rest of the day will most likely be spent finding a place for everything. Which is impossible unless I'm able to subvert the laws of space and time and store things in a cosmic neverland. I'm reasonably sure we now own everything in the entire world. And we need to employ a sherpa.

Pictures will be coming soon so stay tuned. I sincerely hope you and your families had a wonderful holiday weekend. Now, excuse me if you don't see me pop up on your site for a couple days. I've got stuff to put together which may or may not require an advanced engineering degree.

Posted by Chris at December 26, 2005 10:54 AM
Comments

Children will always make you a liar. If you think or say they will be terrible they will be good, and vice versa. I am glad you had a wonderful and packed Christmas. You all deserve it.

Posted by: Angelia at December 26, 2005 11:25 AM

Glad to hear you had a very Merry Christmas!

Posted by: carrster at December 26, 2005 11:54 AM

Hey, we want PICTURES! So, please pause for a short station identification later and download, then upload, your pics!

Posted by: jen at December 26, 2005 12:24 PM

I am a new reader. I think you are a great writer. Sounds like your little ones had a blast! They sound adorable :)

Posted by: Ohhmama at December 26, 2005 12:54 PM

Glad she was in good spirits--my doll-face was a very good girl, too.

Posted by: Ginny at December 26, 2005 1:34 PM

I like to think that she's perfect cuz you didn't conceive on the first month like everyone else. That is how it SHOULD work, anyway. ;) If that's the case, Rylee should be colic-free and P-E-R-F-E-C-T. Not holding my breath. :)

Posted by: Jaime at December 26, 2005 2:17 PM

She is such an Angel! Of course, she's gonna behave for you during the Holidays! haha

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at December 26, 2005 3:40 PM

I hereby declare December 26 the National Assembly of the Gifts/Toys Day. :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at December 26, 2005 3:45 PM

Ha! A sherpa! Fantastic idea. And? If you ever find that cosmic neverland where you can store and retrieve your crap... could ya pass that info along, please? It sure as hell would be useful!

Once again, enjoy!

Posted by: ironic1 at December 26, 2005 4:56 PM

Stop assembling RIGHT NOW and stick half the stuff in a closet somewhere. In about three weeks everything will be boring and you can then ROTATE! It's a beautiful thing. In another couple of weeks when she's tired of those toys, you wip out the ones you currently have now and she'll never know the difference. Of course, you have to have a closet with a door that'll shut, but hey, work with me here.

Posted by: Elaine at December 26, 2005 5:16 PM

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas! Good luck with the space issue, it doesn't get much better.

Posted by: A.K. at December 26, 2005 5:45 PM

Glad Mia had such a lovely holiday and has so many people who love her.

But I already knew she was an angel, so that is not news to me!

Posted by: DeAnn at December 26, 2005 6:46 PM

I hear ya!

Posted by: Lisa B at December 26, 2005 8:31 PM

Glad you guys had a wonderful Christmas!

hugs to Mia!

Posted by: Snidget at December 26, 2005 10:23 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful christmas! Have fun putting all your presents together :)

Posted by: Sweety at December 27, 2005 5:39 AM

As they get older, the toys get bigger (and much more obnoxious), and as you have more kids, they double in abundance - this is probably the ONLY Christmas you'll be able to fit the presents and your family in an SUV ever again! As weird as that may seem, it's totally true.

Glad you guys had a good Christmas and that Mia was spoiled, as all little baby girls should be! :)

And trust me, it DOES require an advanced engineering degree.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at December 27, 2005 10:20 AM

There was a study that showed that most injuries from children's toys are actually inflicted on the parents trying to get them out of the box. And now I can't find the link, so you'll just have to trust me. All the wires and plastic thingies and everything. Be careful! I already have a few scrapes and gashes and we haven't had our official Christmas yet.

Posted by: erika at December 27, 2005 1:03 PM