January 18, 2006

Caution: Baby Rolling Zone

Those baby gates I mentioned installing over the weekend? Just in time. Mia has a new trick - rolling. Yes, gone are the days of the baby staying wherever we put her. The coffee table has been displaced to create a vast Rolling Zone. The cats are, justifiably, living in fear.

Yesterday afternoon, after I'd managed to ditch the suit, I decided to give it a shot myself. Beth came home from running a couple errands to find both her daughter and husband rolling around on the living room floor. You know, it's kinda fun.

After rolling around on the floor so much of the afternoon, it was only appropriate that the evening ended looking like a scene from Jane Fonda's Workout for the Mentally Handicapped. I don't know how it started, but Beth and I were in the kitchen, cleaning up before heading to bed. Beth wondered aloud if she could still do the splits. She tried but was initially successful only in exclaiming fuck rather robustly. I gave it a half-assed shot because I've never been all that flexible. I summarized my experience similarly. A couple minutes later, I think we both realized how, uh, odd it was, two adults, rolling around on a kitchen floor daring each other to physically torment themselves and uttering foul, expletive-laden phrases for every attempt. It was then that I called dibs. Beth, to her credit and while cracking up and cursing at the same time, did manage to do the splits.

One day, our daughter will realize that the world she lives in isn't quite as silly as the house she lives in. I'm not sure whether that will come as a relief or a disappointment.

Posted by Chris at January 18, 2006 7:27 AM
Comments

It will come as a disappointment, because there's nothing greater than laughter.

Posted by: Theresa at January 18, 2006 7:36 AM

hee! she'll be walking in no time.

and yes, when she realizes this world is far from the fun, carefree, silly, safe place her home is, she will be disappointed. but she will cherish her home that much more because of it.

Posted by: suze at January 18, 2006 7:51 AM

Holy Toledo, Batman! Holy Rolling Babies! Wow! Great pics!

Posted by: jen at January 18, 2006 8:01 AM

I vote for disappointment.

Posted by: Gavin at January 18, 2006 8:05 AM

Love the pictures! Love the rolling! Love the silliness. Mia will most likely find the craziness at home to be more entertaining than much of what goes on in the rest of the world. This is a good thing.

Posted by: meghan at January 18, 2006 8:39 AM

You guys are going to be the parents that chaperon events and actually PARTICIPATE in them. She's going to be rolling her eyes and trying to figure out a way to ditch you at the prom.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at January 18, 2006 9:08 AM

Beth can do splits? I am impressed. And the rolling around on the floor? Cute.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 18, 2006 9:08 AM

Definite congrats to Beth on the splits! The rolling sounds like a great deal of fun too. Now, I know you get this all the time, but I'm betting you're not sick of hearing it yet...Mia is the most precious and beautiful thing. What a pleasure to wake up to adorable photos of her!

Posted by: Heather at January 18, 2006 9:25 AM

My son is rolling over too, which means he can no longer be laid down anywhere safely except his crib or a mat on the floor. Yay. I've heard that boys are much more active than girls are at this age, and so far that's very true when I compare his activity to the way my daughter was - but I'm hoping he just becomes really, really lazy soon. ha.

Ps - Mia's cute. :) Duh.

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at January 18, 2006 9:39 AM

oh man! don't you remember being a kid, and loving all that silly stuff? yea, my son and i still roll on the floor. He is two. Its what makes each day smile worthy.

nice shots of the bambino and rents...

;-)

Posted by: melanie at January 18, 2006 9:42 AM

Wait until you get to make home-made forts out of chairs and blankets in the living room! That will be an awesome time for all of you.

Posted by: Jamie at January 18, 2006 9:47 AM

Ah, but humor in the house makes life more interesting. Come home from a bad day and you can make fun of the idiots or the situation that made you day bad.

I live in a house of humor, thanks to my husband and his dry sense of humor. You should hear the comments that come out of his mouth while we're watching TV. I can't wait until we have children. The material will be endless. LOL.

I love the pictures by the way. I love the look of adoration on your face and Mia's "Yes, I have these big people wrapped around my tiny pinkie" look. :)

Posted by: Colleen at January 18, 2006 9:58 AM

Hahahaha.. that's great. Forrest and I wondered aloud about the same thing last night as we each laughed maniacally at one another for no other reason than to hear each other laugh goofy. :)

Posted by: Corinne at January 18, 2006 10:18 AM

god, that last line is a CLASSIC

Posted by: kalisah at January 18, 2006 10:19 AM

I'm sure it will be a dissapointment. The real world isn't nearly as fun.

Posted by: Jessie at January 18, 2006 10:21 AM

Rolling is fun! Just ask my dog Roman. He's satan-y and grouchy (like his momma) but he can roll. He's not as cute as Mia though. And he probably won't grow up to have a great sense of humor that she'll inevitably have with parents like you dos.

Posted by: melati at January 18, 2006 10:30 AM

LOL - the world isn't as fun, but who cares? As long as her home life is :)

Rolling - I'm so jealous - jealous, jealous, jealous - Sierra has no desire to ever become mobile. She's quite content to sit and scream at me to move her to wherever she wants to be.

Posted by: Marie at January 18, 2006 10:31 AM

Kudos to Beth---that is seriously impressive doing the splits. I know I probably can't anymore!

I can't believe Mia is rolling over already...wow! You better watch out---she'll be driving a car next time you blink.

Posted by: Michelle at January 18, 2006 10:57 AM

You both look so happy in the pictures, Mia probably thinks she is the bomb right now because she can roll all over the place! :)

And picturing you and Beth trying to do splits isn't quite as appealing as watching an adorable baby roll....

Posted by: Dana at January 18, 2006 11:04 AM

Wonderful photos! I love that one of her stuck up against the couch. And yeah, giving kids the opportunity to grow up with the silly's is the best gift you can give them. Keep on flailing on, brother.

Posted by: Elaine at January 18, 2006 11:09 AM

Contorsionistically cute!

Posted by: Wicked H at January 18, 2006 11:10 AM

You should both attempt the splits when she brings her friends home in middle school. haha. Cute pictures!

Posted by: Nik at January 18, 2006 11:17 AM

awesome photos! she is so adorable! she got that from Beth right? LOL just kidding! i see alot of you in her. that's daddy's little girl!

Posted by: Just Me1issa at January 18, 2006 11:18 AM

My cats live in fear of when I roll on the floor, too. Mia is just adorable!

Posted by: KathyK at January 18, 2006 12:01 PM

Dude! You've gotta master the splits if you are going to go any further in your rockstar career! ;)

Wonderful photos! I miss those days!

Posted by: don at January 18, 2006 12:07 PM

I've always thought they should make baby pajamas out of that swiffer material so that your floors stay free of dust and pet hair while your kid learns to crawl and walk.

Posted by: TB at January 18, 2006 12:38 PM

don't you love the way that babies always have half a sock hanging off their foot?

Posted by: jodi at January 18, 2006 1:32 PM

LOVE the pictures!

She'll be a bit dissapointed I think! Living with the Cactus family sounds like a LOT of fun! :)

Posted by: Sweety at January 18, 2006 1:39 PM

Maybe a bit of a disappointment but being able to be silly is something to be treasured and she'll surely appreciate that!

BTW She looks absolutely adorable in the pictures!

Posted by: Kim at January 18, 2006 1:44 PM

When I was a little girl we used to love it when my Mom would move all the furniture out of the living room and do cartwheels for us. We would squeel and laugh the whole time!!

I guess that's what being a parent is all about.

Posted by: Isabel at January 18, 2006 1:45 PM

Maybe Turino will open a new baby rolling Olympics. Mia's sure to take gold! :)

Posted by: laura at January 18, 2006 2:01 PM

I have been so absent and far behind and hi! we're in the same time zone! but you and Beth are so damn cool. :D

Posted by: Rhonda at January 18, 2006 2:08 PM

You're house sounds like a fun place to be. Can I come live with you?

Mia is a doll baby! She's growing so fast!

Posted by: Mel at January 18, 2006 3:52 PM

From reading your blogs, and so getting a small glimpse of the way you see the world, I think Mia can only grow up to see the humour and laughter both in the mad-cactus-fish-house-of-(non)-bendiness and outside of it.

The humour in my house was always a tad on the weird side (I could quote all the "Cheers" episodes verbatim when I was about 10, that says it all I guess) but man was it fun sometimes!

Posted by: Nynke at January 18, 2006 4:30 PM

Mia has The Best smile! If your site only had pictures of Mia, I would still visit everyday!

Posted by: witchy_puppy at January 18, 2006 4:38 PM

she's so cute! Mia's a lucky little girl!!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at January 18, 2006 4:50 PM

I think such self contained silliness is one of the main reasons the homeschooled population is growing.:)

Posted by: Janet at January 18, 2006 4:52 PM

Man! I'd be in Emerge (the ER to the rest of you) from trying to do the splits. Way to go Beth!

One of my greatest disappointments with my current place of employment is total lack of humour... it's sad. Thank god for MSN...

N.

Posted by: Nat at January 18, 2006 4:54 PM

Mia won't be disappointed - she'll just continue being as insane as her parents and won't care! Trust me.

Posted by: Heather at January 18, 2006 5:06 PM

"One day, our daughter will realize that the world she lives in isn't quite as silly as the house she lives in."

If, God forbid, she ever thinks that, simply put her in front of the TV, put on "American Idol", and all will be made right.

Posted by: Jason at January 18, 2006 5:18 PM

Keep it silly! I think our kids love that there will always be our silly house just as there will always be the rest of the world.

Posted by: Karen at January 18, 2006 5:21 PM

You are about to get to the hilarious stage that gave The Swimmy her nickname: when they stay on their tummy and start flailing their arms and legs around trying to get moving.

THEN you are totally screwed. Full mobility is just moments away and life as you know it -- gone. But? so cute.

Posted by: Pammer at January 18, 2006 5:34 PM

Hi! I have never been here before but I got here by way of the fish. I just had to comment how neat those pics are! Great angles! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Meagan at January 18, 2006 5:49 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures as always. So adorable and your FAM rocks!

PS I always knew you had a thing for Mr. Moore! ;)

Thanks for stopping by! It is always a good thing to get some man juice on my blog!

Posted by: Kelly at January 18, 2006 5:49 PM

Rock and Roll Daddio...

I'm sure when she comes to the realization that she lives in the house that silly built, she will be thankful because you know, there isn't enough silly in the world.

Posted by: Kate at January 18, 2006 6:21 PM

When i was a kid i thought everyone's mom had a pink unicycle... boy was i disappointed when i grew up and discovered how boring it really is to be 'grown-up'

Posted by: hobbes at January 18, 2006 7:46 PM

Holy Roll Over Beethoven. This post got a lot of comments. And wouldn't you know, everything I would have said has been. Thaks for the smiles.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at January 18, 2006 8:14 PM

Holy Roll Over Beethoven. This post got a lot of comments. And wouldn't you know, everything I would have said has been. Thanks for the smiles.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at January 18, 2006 8:15 PM

How come you don't got those little trash can thingies so I can do my own editing when I can't spell???

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at January 18, 2006 8:17 PM

She's very lucky to have such a silly house to grow up in. A very HAPPY house. :-)

Posted by: Lisa B at January 19, 2006 12:08 AM

Posted by: Lisa B at January 19, 2006 12:08 AM

There is NOTHING better in the world to me than a man in LOVE with his daughter! : ) You my friend are the best AND the darn cutest ever!! And your crazy, silly, wacky home is indeed happy! : ) I am so proud of you! Squeench the ladies for me!

Posted by: Gypsy at January 19, 2006 12:35 AM

it is great when they roll themselves into a corner and are like "help.... I've rolled into a corner and I can't get out!!"

your pic of you and your daughter actually takes one breath away, if there ever was a pic to capture that love, that is it!!

and LMAO at you guys doing the splits!! a couple of weeks ago my sister and brother-in-law were over and the 4 of us were holding up our feet to see who had the cutest feet, I clearly won and even more clearly there was alchohol involved!!!

Posted by: Lise at January 19, 2006 1:41 AM

and clearer yet I cannot spell!! alcohol!! haha could be the 2 martini's one will never know!!

Posted by: Lise at January 19, 2006 1:44 AM

Oh, the sillies are SO important, because even if she is disappointed with a lack of silliness in the world, she'll still find a way to make her own, having been taught by the best! :)
(Oh, and woot on the Damien Rice thing: I think he's pretty great too!)

Posted by: Kristina at January 19, 2006 2:26 AM

I'm gonna go with 'relief' -- she'll be grateful that home isn't as serious or scary as the real world and will be thankful she can escape from it in such a fun, loving environment!

Posted by: ironic1 at January 19, 2006 6:43 AM

OMG, Chris. I had no idea time was passing so quickly. Look at that bebe... she grows! she rolls! and she is simply lovely! Stop blogwalking for a tiny bit of time and you miss a mile of info (especially around here).

Posted by: Keri at January 19, 2006 11:36 AM

How cute!
I can just picture you leaving the room for a second and coming back and going, "Where the heck did Mia go?!"

You guys have way too much fun. And that's a good thing! :)

Posted by: Kitty at January 19, 2006 4:42 PM

Jane Fonda's workout for the mentally handicapped. NOW THAT IS WHAT I'D LIKE To SEE!

My brother and wife bought me a sleep positioner for the rolling thing.

Posted by: mrsmogul at January 19, 2006 5:26 PM

Chris, she is just so precious. You are blessed.

Posted by: Stacy at January 19, 2006 5:50 PM

God, that's a lovely baby. I think it every time I see a picture.

Glad to hear Beth has recovered fully from the birth experience. (Regardless of her delivery method, splits have got to be a good sign.)

Posted by: Casey at January 19, 2006 11:50 PM

what adorable pics :) but why are their no pics of the aerobics?

Posted by: laura at January 21, 2006 11:28 AM