January 4, 2006

Pity Da Foo!

I suspect we all have something in common - we talk to ourselves. I have an inner dialog that, I'm sure, would scare even the most seasoned mental health professional. Occasionally, though, I even surprise myself. This morning started not with the usual good morning, self and resultant pep talk at the realization that it was still pitch black and cold outside and I faced a 10 hour day at work. No, I woke up, instead, singing the theme from the A-Team. I'm not 100% sure what this means. It could be good, you know, I'm locked and loaded and ready to kick some ass. Or it could be some indication of a deep-seated need to break out 30 lbs. of gold chains and get a mohawk...again. Of course, it could just be sleep deprivation.

Mia, we've discovered over the last couple of days, is expecting her first tooth. And she's not entirely thrilled about it. She lulls us into a false sense of security and accomplishment by falling asleep at night for an hour after which she's wide awake and filled with the desire to stick everything in the house in her mouth. Even one of the cats (the cat was not pleased, in case you were curious).

Most of you parents will probably laugh at my recent epiphany but here it is - when you've got kids, there's always something. If it's not a wicked case of reflux, it's diaper rash, or teething, or crawling, or trying to eat the cat (which leads into that whole solid food thing nicely). But that's entirely cool because, as Beth and I say to ourselves almost constantly, she's so fucking cute.

Okay, back to the A-Team...I've got ass to kick...

Posted by Chris at January 4, 2006 7:06 AM
Comments

Wow... hope that the teething gets better. And you're not the only one with an inner dialouge. Mine sometimes frightens even me!

Posted by: Corinne at January 4, 2006 7:10 AM

My sympathies! My son insists on eating his blankets - teething toys fahgetaboutit but blankets - bring em on.

Posted by: That Girl at January 4, 2006 7:51 AM

Not laughing at all. These are things that each parent has to come to realize on their own. :) and Mia is damn cute.

Posted by: Angelia at January 4, 2006 7:57 AM

As long as you don't start putting gold chains and a mohawk on Mia, I think things will be ok. Go kick some ass! *A-Team song playing in back of head*

Posted by: Michelle at January 4, 2006 8:18 AM

Ha, you know the A-Team theme! Hope Mia's little tooth comes in soon. (And I think she'd look cute with a little fauxhawk.)

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 4, 2006 8:49 AM

The A-Team theme song is probably a better thing to have in your head than the Smurf theme.

Posted by: Alison at January 4, 2006 8:50 AM

Yep. You are officially one of us now. It is always something, from now until the day you die. Good luck finding just the right teething item. That's a tough one!

Posted by: Theresa at January 4, 2006 8:53 AM

Ah, teething memories. Just two words for you:
Baby Tylenol.

Good luck (and Happy New Year)!

Posted by: mooalex at January 4, 2006 8:57 AM

Yep, there's always something, but the good thing is most everything they go through is a temporary phase. This is especially helpful to remember when they reach toddler-hood, and you think they're going to grow up to be Mussolini.

Posted by: Sheryl at January 4, 2006 9:05 AM

A few weeks ago, one of my (now former) coworkers told me that he would miss my continuous self-dialogue the most. Because while some of my conversations with myself take place in my head, a frightening amount take place out loud. In public. And people who catch me talking to myself always laugh and say, "Well, just as long as you don't answer yourself we'll be fine!"

You know what?

I DO ANSWER MYSELF. And then we get into a fight. And it's pretty ugly.

Posted by: Rhonda at January 4, 2006 10:12 AM

It's driving me crazy that I can't remember how the A-Team theme song goes, but now I have the Superman theme in my head. Gee thanks.

Posted by: Beth in StL at January 4, 2006 10:15 AM

The A-Team theme song has words?

Posted by: Jeff A at January 4, 2006 10:23 AM

She's teething already? I swear, I think your daughter is growing up faster than my son!

Posted by: Queen Of Ass at January 4, 2006 10:25 AM

first name Mr. last name T

Good luck with the new tooth arrival, all cats beware Mia is on the prowl.

Posted by: E at January 4, 2006 10:31 AM

Oh yes, you will have many epihanies in life now, I only have a 3 yr old and 9 month old, and I believe I am right up there with the Dali Llama!!

You do have cuteness on your side, it helps!!

Posted by: tiffaneyc at January 4, 2006 10:38 AM

And as we always say... the cuteness keeps them alive...

Posted by: jen at January 4, 2006 11:12 AM

LMAO "when you've got kids, there's always something." Oh that is the understatement of the year!!!

She's just too precious, you're right.

Posted by: Jade at January 4, 2006 11:18 AM

So I think you're channelling the Boy, who sings the A-Team song almost as much as he sings the Dukes of Hazard song. Good thing I have patience for him, too.

Also? The baby oragel stuff ain't bad. My mom's dentist (friend of family) gave her hurricane (the stuff they swab onto your mouth before the needle) for me when I was a baby. Same stuff, works like a charm. According to my mother, since I don't really remember.

Posted by: alektra at January 4, 2006 11:19 AM

cuteness is nature's way of keeping parents from devouring their young in a fit of sleep-deprived rage. isnt it great though?

Posted by: steph at January 4, 2006 11:20 AM

Dude. I so feel you on this. My kids always sprout teeth in pairs. Lily got all four 2yo molars in ONE FREAKING DAY. I was so glad to be the working parent that day.

But yeah, clingly monkey, fields of snot, cranky girls! Teething is FUN!

Posted by: Elaine at January 4, 2006 11:22 AM

Great. Now, I can't get the theme song out of my head. You kind of remind me of "Faceman" a little bit.

Posted by: MetroDad at January 4, 2006 11:36 AM

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team. Duun duh duh dunnnn, dun dun duuuuun.

Posted by: melati at January 4, 2006 11:37 AM

sometimes their cuteness is all that saves them.

Posted by: jodi at January 4, 2006 12:05 PM

It really always is something, isn't it?

Posted by: shane at January 4, 2006 12:29 PM

She tried to eat the cat?! Now that is funny! I hope she gets her tooth in soon.

Until then, blast that music and kick some ass!

Posted by: Kitty at January 4, 2006 1:54 PM

Is the teething on the cat at all related to the cat vomit reported in your wife's blog a few days ago... They must be - some how.
=)

Posted by: hannah at January 4, 2006 2:01 PM

The A-Team theme is very motivational. I have a copy on my hard drive and I love it when it comes up on "random".

Good luck to Mia and her first tooth. I hear they hurt.

Posted by: Isabel at January 4, 2006 2:13 PM

My dad used to LOVE that show and subject us to it weekly when it was on...and we couldn't talk during the show, just when the commercials would come on. PUH-LEASE. Hey, I've got a challenge for you--if you really want to be like Mr. T then take a picture of yourself with all kinds of gold chains around your neck, put on a muscle shirt, and shave your head Mohwak style....heh. That'd be something to see!

Posted by: Michelle at January 4, 2006 2:35 PM

and now i'm humming, "dodododoooodododo dodoDeedo dooododododo..."

thanks... ;)

Posted by: suze at January 4, 2006 2:42 PM

I don't remember the A-Team, but the Love Boat is running through my head. That's really weird!

Good luck with the teething. Never fear. It only lasts a couple of years. One tooth at a time. Has she gotten the slobber yet? That was even better than the fussing to me!

Posted by: Ms. Q at January 4, 2006 5:10 PM

The thing about babies (and later, kids) is this: the minute they get "predictable" or at least you think you know what to expect, they change. If I remember correctly, usually in the vicinity of every two weeks.
I don't talk to myself, I have conversations(usually two-sided) in my head. I think it's a tool, kind of like visualization, anticipating all the possibilities of what the other might say in reaction to your words and vice versa. Didn't really realize that I did that until you brought it up. Wonder if it's a symptom of something?

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at January 4, 2006 5:46 PM

So true - the other night Sierra was up 5 times, the last time it took 3 hours to get her back to sleep - and once she was aslepp hubby and I turned to each other and gushed about how cute she is. They come like that so that we don't shove them back in for a year...

Posted by: Marie at January 4, 2006 8:05 PM

Great post, but for the life of me, I can't remember the A-Team theme song (very unlike me as I always have a tv song or commercial jingle spinning around in there). I will, however, be humming the smurfs all night long... ugh
jen

Posted by: rocks at January 4, 2006 11:03 PM

You had a mohawk? Wicked cool. Can we see pictures?

Posted by: Heather at January 5, 2006 1:52 AM

I used to do a mean Mr T impression.
Which usually came out as a combination of webster and arnold.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at January 5, 2006 10:03 AM