January 23, 2006

Six Months

Dear Mia,

You are six months old. That's somewhere around 183 days, 4392 hours, 265,520 minutes, 87.32 readings of Goodnight Moon or 39,405 diapers. Sometimes it seems as though those days, hours and minutes crept by at a snail's pace. Other times, it's impossible for me to believe that they flew by with such velocity. They have been the hardest, most rewarding, difficult and fun moments of my life.

When you came into the world, I was afraid I wouldn't love you the way I'd been led to believe fathers should. I shouldn't have concerned myself with that. Scientists and theologians experience epiphanies, but when it comes to fathers loving their daughters, there's no such thing. I loved you instantly but understanding the depth of that love took time. No one tells you that.

I play music for you everyday. We listen to songs, bands you'll think are really lame by the time you're old enough to appreciate them. And I pull out my acoustic guitar which I wasn't convinced you liked hearing me play until recently; you've started to smile when you see it. Even if you're just humoring me, thanks. For all the music we hear together, and all I've heard in my 33 years, the best sound ever - I mean, the single greatest sound in the history of the entire universe - is your laugh. The smile that goes along with it isn't bad either. But the laugh, it's just incredible.

I hope you know by now that I would do anything for you, to protect you, to make you happy. I'd fight off hordes of spiders armed only with the clothes on my back and a pointy stick. I'd dismantle packs of right-wing religious extremist politicians. I'd battle invading alien forces, door-to-door salesmen, purple dinosaurs, future boyfriends and lite-rock bands from the 1980's all to keep you safe and secure. And if you've learned anything about me at all, you know how much I hate all those things. Especially the lite-rock bands, although I did own a copy of Air Supply's greatest hits once but that was a gift.

You are, without doubt, one of the two single best things I've ever done with my life. The other was marrying your mom. Your six month birthday marks another milestone - your mother and I started dating exactly thirteen years ago.

Amidst all the sleepless nights, teething, fussing, Dr. Seuss reading and rampant pooping, time flies. I love you, and will continue to love you, more each day, my Mia Bean, my Squizzle, my Beanerschnitzel.

Dad

Posted by Chris at January 23, 2006 7:59 AM
Comments

Happy Birthday Mia Bean...you are one damn lucky girl to have the parents that you have...here's to sleeping through the night in the next 6 months!!

Posted by: JuJuBee at January 23, 2006 8:03 AM

Rampant pooping, Ha. I love that! The best thing about newborn to at least a year, is the incredible snuggling. Nothing beats holding a baby in your arms, does it? After about a year, they squirm too much. Still fun, they just don't sit as still for it.
But I'm learning to love all kinds of things about grandchildren. For instance, I can still sit indian-style on the kitchen floor and play jacks. And thank God jacks haven't died with the introduction of the PS2.

Posted by: wlfldy at January 23, 2006 8:12 AM

SIGH!

wonderful!

Posted by: wn at January 23, 2006 8:14 AM

Sorry to double-comment, and I'm sure you've heard of it, but 'Guess How Much I Love You' by Sam McBratney is a wonderful story. I have a hard time say nutbrown hare repeatedly for some reason though.

Posted by: wlfldy at January 23, 2006 8:18 AM

Awwwww, Chris! So well said! Beanerschnitzel (it just SOUNDS great!) is a very lucky little girl!

Posted by: Nynke at January 23, 2006 8:22 AM

:) I knew all along you were a big softy inside... Happy 6 months to Mia and happy 13 years to you and Beth!!!

Posted by: Corinne at January 23, 2006 8:25 AM

Happy 1/2 birthday Mia! You are the luckiest girl on earth to have such wonderful caring parents!

Posted by: Marie at January 23, 2006 8:34 AM

Happy Half Birthday to Mia!

Congrats to you and Beth as well.

I tell people my copy of Air Supply, as well as Toto, were gifts too. And then I hem and haw and tell them it wouldn't be right to get rid of them, something to do with karma and all. Then I walk away humming "Lost in Love" - um, I think I've said too much. Gotta go.

Posted by: Mr. Big Dubya at January 23, 2006 8:39 AM

This post is exactly why you have so many female blogfans. I can't speak for the entire female gender, but I suspect we wish all men could express themselves so openly and beautifully. Mia and Beth are lucky gals!
(Okay, enough with swelling your head! Get back to work, blogboy!)

Posted by: mooalex at January 23, 2006 8:41 AM

Very sweet!

Happy half B-day Mia!

Posted by: Wicked H at January 23, 2006 8:41 AM

Since becoming a parent, I've always thought the parents should get a little more recognition on these birthdays (and demi-birthdays).

So keep it up Mia! You're the bestest little thing in the world for your wonderful mom and dad!

Posted by: Amber at January 23, 2006 9:13 AM

Happy Half-Birthday to Mia Bean! It's been six months already?

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 23, 2006 9:20 AM

Oh man, that's so sweet Chris. Sounds like you're everything anyone could want in a father.

Posted by: Heather at January 23, 2006 9:20 AM

The love thing, it never feels as deep as it really is. You know it's there and all, you know you truly love this person, but sometimes it's impossible to know just how much. I think if we walked around loving our kids as much as we really do 24 hours a day, our brains would cave in because we just can't function like that. But when something happens, like a high fever, or a fall down the stairs, or watching them get picked on by another kid, suddenly you feel it. Your heart just swells, all Grinch-like. It's weird, isn't it?

...But would you fight the hordes of spiders off naked, without a pointy stick? Now THAT is a true test of love!

Posted by: RockStar Mommy at January 23, 2006 9:39 AM

So nice! Haply half birthday to Mia!

Posted by: Cristina at January 23, 2006 9:55 AM

Ouch.

Now I'm going to sob all day. Thanks, Chris. ;)

Posted by: shannon at January 23, 2006 10:06 AM

Gosh, where did 6 months go? Happy half birthday to Mia! I liked reading Beth's post this morning too. :)

Posted by: Dana at January 23, 2006 10:16 AM

Awww, Chris! That was lovely!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at January 23, 2006 10:37 AM

Happy Half Birthday dearest Mia and may the next 6 months of your life be filled with laughter and adventure and you continue to twist your daddy around your little finger! ;)

Posted by: Just Me1issa at January 23, 2006 10:43 AM

Are you, Beth and Mia on a campaign to make the entire internet cry?

Posted by: verucaamish at January 23, 2006 10:46 AM

Wow, Chris-- that was just great. My favorite part is that it takes time to mine the depths of that love. It's true that nobody tells you that. Very beautifully written.

Posted by: jen at January 23, 2006 11:20 AM

I admire your honesty. I think a lot of parents to be wonder if they will love their children like they should. Im the parent of 3 amazing dogs who I love TOTALLY. And we have a baby on the way- will I love the baby as much? More? Guess we'll see.Just nice to know that these feelings are normal.

Posted by: alfredsmom at January 23, 2006 11:22 AM

Awwwwww! A Daddy's love for his baby girl, is there a sweeter thing??? Happy half birthday Mia!

Posted by: Kate at January 23, 2006 11:44 AM

I've read a lot of month letters, but this one really got me. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Elaine at January 23, 2006 11:57 AM

Happy Half-Birthday, Mia!

You're a lucky girl...those lite-rock bands can be dangerous. Bread killed my cousin, and they're still looking for Peter Cetera in connection to the murder of a family in Wisconsin. Daddy will keep you safe.

Posted by: CroutonBoy at January 23, 2006 12:17 PM

Beanerschnitzel? That is SO FUNNY. I'm sure she'll be real pleased when you call her that as she's walking out the door with her prom date someday.

So CUTE.

Posted by: Lisa B at January 23, 2006 1:01 PM

Yesterday, the Boy and I looked at each other, and I said "Tomorrow's our six month anniversary". The Boy looked at me and said "Mia can't be THAT old already, can she?"

Much love to you three!

Posted by: alektra at January 23, 2006 1:01 PM

DANGIT Chris - crying at work is NOT going to get me ahead in the corporate world.

Totally your fault

-Suz

PS - happy 6 month Mia Bean! I can only hope to have one just as sweet as you someday.

Posted by: suz at January 23, 2006 1:15 PM

Spiders?! Now THAT is love!

Stop making me cry!

Posted by: DeAnn at January 23, 2006 3:37 PM

Happy Half Birthday, Mia!

Chris, you're not helping me curb my baby fever right now... ;)

Posted by: Kitty at January 23, 2006 4:17 PM

Aww, that's so sweet. I love Beanerschnitzel. Happy 6 months Mia!

Posted by: Pixie at January 23, 2006 4:26 PM

Hey, I thought my husband and I were the only ones who remembered when we started dating 13+ years ago. Apparently, we're not the only ones with good memories here.

Happy 6 months to Mia! She's a cutie. :)

Posted by: Spring at January 23, 2006 4:53 PM

So glad to see that you're not screwing this whole Dad thing up. ;-)

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at January 23, 2006 5:29 PM

Get me a tissue!

Oh, and pass on the birthday greetings, please.

Posted by: ironic1 at January 23, 2006 5:31 PM

Awwwww....how sweet is that!

Posted by: J,J, at January 23, 2006 5:43 PM

I love knowing that even if she keeps you up at night, you still would do anything to protect her.

I'm looking forward to this intense love for my own little guy.

Posted by: Isabel at January 23, 2006 7:58 PM

That was really beautiful. I hope you save that for her. It had me choked up, and I was going to commend you on not mentioning poop once, but then I got to the last paragraph. :-) Still, incredible post.

Posted by: Lisa at January 23, 2006 9:34 PM

Goodnight Moon is a good little book. I think it's by Sandra Boyton? I have alot of books by her. Actually I have like a whole freakin Scholastic library at my house. Remember those little fliers in grade school? uh yeah.

Congrats on 6 mths! Love the pics on Beth's page with her chubby little legs. SO freakin cute!

Posted by: Sabrina at January 23, 2006 10:27 PM

Beautiful post!! Congrats to you and Beth on your 13 year anniversary (13 has always been a lucky number for Mein Hublein and I) and A Very Merry 6-months to little Squizzleschnitzel! (Now there's a fun combo...)

Posted by: Kristina at January 24, 2006 12:30 AM

Yet another good reason to let the number thirteen back into our good graces. Great tribute!:)

Posted by: Janet at January 24, 2006 6:01 AM

Happy 1/2 year, Mia!

That was so well written, and I'm happy to say that pretty much sums it for me and my two sons. Having these children brings out feelings in you that you didn't even know how to describe. Until it happens to you.

Posted by: cas at January 24, 2006 11:08 AM

Awesome. Print it out and put it in her baby book, please...

Posted by: Alissa at January 24, 2006 11:49 AM

That's wonderful...you are such a good daddy! :)

Posted by: Theresa at January 25, 2006 10:51 AM

Aside from my husband, I think you are the greatest daddy in the world...hands down!

Posted by: Tricia at January 26, 2006 10:10 AM