January 16, 2006

Weekend Lessons Learned

This weekend? Was awesome. Which sounds strange now that I realize I didn't leave the house except for once yesterday. And that, when I did manage to get out, I completely blanked on what I actually went out for (and came back with Dr. Seuss books for Mia instead, so, bonus). It also sounds strange because it was an absolutely terrible sleep weekend, for Mia, and, therefore, us. She just flat refused. And, yeah, I spent way too much time installing baby gates around the house (and, really, I don't want my kid flying ass-over-teakettle down the stairs but I also don't think I should need an engineering degree to get these things installed). So why was it so good?

Mia and I spent a lot of time together this weekend. You see, because of that whole sleep thing (or lack thereof), Beth was about to take the final turn into the last lap of the Crazy Mom 500 so I tried my best to take over a bit and let her do her thing. And you know what? Mia's cool. I mean, sure, she won't sleep but she's all kinds of fun to hang out with. We even watched a little football together. The lesson? Weekends can seem boring to everyone else but they're extraordinary when you're just hanging out with your family.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, another lesson from the "they don't make 'em like they used to" category. A couple days ago, Beth was headed out to the grocery store and she asked if I wanted anything for dessert. "Ice cream, cookies...oh, and pie!" I replied (I have a bit of a sugar addiction...and I was half-kidding...but only half). She returned with all of the above, including Hostess fruit pies! Now, I used to love these as a kid. I'd devour them when I could get my hands on them in junior high school. Last night, we each opened ours up and took a bite.

Me: Um, I kinda remember these being better.
Her: Yeah. Me too.
Me: 'Cos, honestly, thanks for picking these up and all but it tastes like ass.
Her: Uh, oh yeah.
Me: Do you think they used to taste better?
Her: No, I think they probably always tasted this way.
Me: I used to eat these things all the time. How the hell did I do that? And, lord, do I have to get this taste out of my mouth now.

I think we all had a higher tolerance for crap when we were younger. That's the only way I can explain it.

Posted by Chris at January 16, 2006 7:19 AM
Comments

I cant tell you how many times I have tasted something I remembered eating as really good to think of it as crap, or have a craving get it and be alll eh... the dream over it was better :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at January 16, 2006 7:49 AM

OMG! Not too long ago I swear I did the same thing (with the pies). But I think they might have been better back in the day. :)

Posted by: Jenn at January 16, 2006 8:04 AM

That's why I've avoided them since getting older... I've been afraid of ruining all of my good memories.

Posted by: amber at January 16, 2006 8:28 AM

Those pies now have a nasty after taste. It is because I no longer wash them down with Slurpee's and Big Gulps.

Posted by: Bill at January 16, 2006 8:38 AM

I also had an awesome weekend that most would classify as not-fun. But it was.

And for the record, yes, those fruit pies have always tasted like that. I used to have some sort of amnesia with those things, thinking to myself, "Hey, maybe this time it will taste good". Never did. Blech. They're gross.

Posted by: Jessie at January 16, 2006 8:38 AM

I'm so deprived - I've never had a fruit pie!

Posted by: Marie at January 16, 2006 8:40 AM

We had a party one time where everyone had to bring their favorite food from when they were a kid. There was Mac 'n Cheese, all kinds of candy, even FlufferNutters.

FlufferNutters? Totally suck.

Posted by: Pammer at January 16, 2006 8:43 AM

I don't think I could drink a Nehi Peach today. It would ruin my memories of that nectar.

Posted by: Alison at January 16, 2006 9:03 AM

I think your tastebuds aren't fully developed when you're a kid. That probably explains how kids can eat Chuck E Cheese pizza.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 16, 2006 9:06 AM

i think much of the crap we ate as kids is much better left as a memory...

a friend got some icy squares for christmas - i remember them being much better as a kid. MUCH, MUCH better.

of course, now i have a deeper appreciation for good chocolate too...

Posted by: suze at January 16, 2006 9:07 AM

You can never quite get the taste of your youth back. It's pooh on a stick! Smells however, they never dissapoint! (The smell of freshly cut grass?? LOVE IT! Instant childhood flash back!)

Nice one on relieving Beth for a bit. There are very few things more sexy and say "I love you" more than your man rescuing you from your screaming infant. I kid you not!

Have a great week!

Posted by: Nynke at January 16, 2006 9:28 AM

Glad you had such a wonderful bonding weekend with Mia! :)

Posted by: Just Me1issa at January 16, 2006 9:28 AM

I think there's nothing quite so wonderful as spending quality, mundane time with someone you love, whether that's a wee someone like Mia, or another grown-up.

Posted by: Heather at January 16, 2006 9:29 AM

I had a great weekend of watching football and playing online poker. But I may have overdone it because near the end of the late game yesterday, my wife came upstairs and said 'hey - remember me?' Then she asked how many more weeks football season went for. I think she is going to exact her revenge on me in the off season.

So yeah, I only made it out once yesterday but it was like -15 so it wasn't hard to justify staying indoors.

Posted by: Mike at January 16, 2006 10:03 AM

Oh yeah - everything is always better and bigger when we're little. Kinda sucks about growing up doesn't it? I wonder if Twinkies still taste the same .....

Posted by: Heather at January 16, 2006 10:21 AM

Oh the Hostess pies are not good anymore. I'm with Beth, I'm not sure they ever were good. Around here, we have a semi-local bakery named Mrs. Baird's and HER fruit pies are awesome. But when we moved to NYC and then New England, there was no Mrs. Baird's to be found. Drakes makes a good one, though. Do you guys have those?

Not that I am a fried pie connoisseur or anything....

Posted by: donna at January 16, 2006 10:26 AM

It is so much fun to see your evolving relationship with Mia. And those fruit pies *are* horrid-- but I used to eat them all the time too. I couldn't say whether or not they have changed-- I just don't remember. Mmmmm.... Drake's coffee cakes!

Posted by: jen at January 16, 2006 10:46 AM

Not to be too Rushlike but ditto on the fruit pie...

Posted by: linda at January 16, 2006 11:08 AM

I have heard that our taste buds change every 7 years, so things we used to hate we now like and vice versa.. who really knows...

Posted by: Cher at January 16, 2006 11:24 AM

I tried Tab after many years of drinking Diet Coke. OMG, that stuff is nasty. And I used to drink it by the gallon.

And then there are pink snoballs. I haven't eaten any lately, but when I left my last job, my legacy was a pink snoball that the people I left behind were under orders not to eat but to observe how long it took to decay (if ever). It was going on three months with no sign of decay before the cleaning people threw it out. And I used to eat those things.

Posted by: Carolyn at January 16, 2006 11:41 AM

I love those weekends the best. And Twinkies are the same as those pies. I am sure they tasted better once upon a time!

Posted by: Ms. Q at January 16, 2006 11:47 AM

Barnum's boxed animal cookies. I bought my daughter a box about a week ago, because I remember getting them as a kid. She is almost a year old and she ate them with a smile so I thought I would snake one from her, yummy, they taste just like box.

Posted by: Shannon at January 16, 2006 12:30 PM

I've only eaten those fruit pies three times in my life, and each time I ended up puking my guts out. So I agree with the nastiness.

Posted by: mom on a wire at January 16, 2006 12:37 PM

Shut up. All of my life my father has used the phrase ass over teakettle, and you are the ONLY other person in the world, aside from now all three of his grown kids, that I have ever heard use that phrase! Are you a hilly-billy? C'mon, you can admit it...

Posted by: dorothy at January 16, 2006 12:52 PM

A dog chews its own butt to get the taste of human out of its mouth. What did you do? I'm just asking.

Posted by: bhd at January 16, 2006 1:39 PM

I've never heard of ass over teakettle. What does that mean?

Posted by: Nik at January 16, 2006 1:42 PM

Those days where you don't have to leave the house are the best. In fact, I'm still in my pj's right now. Who knows? I might even get to exercising sometime this millenium.

Posted by: Janet at January 16, 2006 2:02 PM

I used to like Mc Donald's more as a kid than I do now. But, remember that they used to have those apple pies that were crispy on the outside? And, filled with something that seemed like lava when it hit the roof of your mouth? Now THAT was an apple pie!

Posted by: Jamie at January 16, 2006 2:53 PM

I've heard ass over teakettle so many times, I don't know where I heard it first, so I don't know what's going on there.

I still like the pies. Generally during hormonal times, which might explain something, but there you are. A 27-year-old can like the pies.

Posted by: alektra at January 16, 2006 3:03 PM

I had a Hostess fruit pie at school the other day. I did as I had always done as a kid...scraped the filling into the wrapper and just ate the crust. It tasted the same as I remember. It doesn't even matter what flavor the pie is when you do it that way...lol.

And, IMHO, McDonald's Apple Pies haven't been good since they started baking them instead of frying!

If you really want to be disappointed, try a Scooter or Moon Pie. Waxy, nasty, dry YUCK!

Posted by: Jaycie at January 16, 2006 3:05 PM

I did the same thing the other day with Handi Snacks -- you know the crackers that come with the thing of runny cheese that you spread with a small, red stick, which usually sucks and leaves you to use your fingers?

Those are nasty now, too.

Posted by: Emily at January 16, 2006 4:20 PM

Glad you had such a great weekend.

And about the fruit pies...I hadn't eaten them for years-until I got knocked up. And now I can't get enough of the lemon pies. Seriously, they are SO GOOD. When you bite down on them you can actually feel the sugar grains on your teeth.

Always a good sign.

Posted by: Isabel at January 16, 2006 4:32 PM

But the low-fat Twinkies are YUMMY!! Seriously, they taste better than the full-fat ones. I once bought them both, just to be sure (that was a low point in my life)!

Posted by: Raybelle at January 16, 2006 4:33 PM

You are SO right on the fruit pies! (Even when I read the words "Hostess fruit pies, I had to stifel a gag.)

Posted by: Lisa B at January 16, 2006 5:23 PM

I've had that experience w/ several different kinds of junk food. Stuff I used to love, but now are just kind of an 'eh'.

Posted by: Ginny at January 16, 2006 5:24 PM

The oatmeal creme pies are still as good but omg, they're miniscule compared to how big they used to be. Yes, little girls are cool to hang out with. I hung with BabyJuJu most of the weekend. Did you and Mia dance? We LOVE to dance.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom at January 16, 2006 5:33 PM

Man I used to love toffee apples as a kid. Do you think I can eat those disgusting bastards now.....now way!

Posted by: Chocolate Makes it Better at January 16, 2006 6:08 PM

Baby Gates are a PITA to install! We did 3 about 2 yrs ago of the swing Evenflo gates for the stairs and kitchen.

I can relate with the hostess pies. That's the EXACT way I feel about Kraft Mac n Cheese the powdered .50 cent kind. Ugh!

Glad to hear you had a fun weekend with Mia while giving Beth a break.

Posted by: Sabrina at January 16, 2006 6:11 PM

I must have been very mature because I hated Hostess Fruit Pies even as a kid. I never understood why everyone loved those gross, gooey things.

Posted by: DeAnn at January 16, 2006 10:01 PM

We have friends who have a 22-month old and they have those babygates that take the engineering degree to install. But did you know that it also takes an engineering degree to open those damn things? Argh! I have given up trying to open the baby gate at the top of the stairs. I just risk life and limb and hop over the damn thing.

In regards to the Hostess fruit pies..I used to eat a ton of those way up until my mid-twenties. Now that it has been more than 6 years or so, I want to go back and try one...just to see if age has matured my taste buds.

Posted by: Colleen at January 16, 2006 10:27 PM

Hubby says you have to microwave them for 10-20 seccs depending on your microwave. But I can think of thousands of other things to spend calories on. Little Debbie cakes for instance...

Posted by: Amy at January 16, 2006 11:12 PM

See, I never liked those pies. But hostess crumbcakes? SWEET JESUS IN HEAVEN.

I wonder if they still make them. I'll have to check on that.

Posted by: Y at January 17, 2006 10:12 AM

ah. the crazy mom 500, I won that last year.

Posted by: betty at January 17, 2006 10:25 AM

Spaghetti-O's taste almost like plastic to me now...which is exactly why I liked them as a kid. I think we LIKED the way all that crap tasted. :)

Posted by: Marilyn at January 17, 2006 11:48 AM

lol - I know EXACTLY what you mean....same goes with Little Debbie cakes. I used to love them, but now they just taste so cheap and pathetic to me. ick!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at January 17, 2006 12:46 PM

Have you gotten to baby locks yet? Much harder than they first appear.. best if baby is not home during installation. She may have an undesirable first word.

Posted by: HipMamaB at January 17, 2006 1:14 PM

Spaghettio's taste like vomit to me. YUCK!

Posted by: iluvemine at January 19, 2006 11:44 AM

Thank you, my friends, for taking one for the team on this one. I haven't had a Hostess Fruit Pie since adolescence for this very reason.

Posted by: Beth at January 19, 2006 7:37 PM