February 23, 2006

Secure Or Not Secure?

President Bush, February 23, 2006: "People don't need to worry about security."

May 27, 2005: GAO investigators evaluate quick-clearance program for importers as well as the Container Security Initiative (CSI). Results yield evidence of poor planning, inadequate communication and funding shortfalls.

Margaret Wrightson (GAO), May 23, 2005: "A successful attack on a seaport could result in a dramatic slowdown in the supply system, with consequences in the billions of dollars," wrote Wrightson. Further, Wrightson stated that conditions as they existed in May leave the nation's 300-plus seaports and 3,700 cargo and passenger terminals vulnerable if not corrected.

Baltimore Sun, July 19, 2005: Nearly 140,000 cargo containers are shipped to Baltimore each year, according to port officials. About one in seven containers, or 14 percent, are examined by screening devices for bombs or other material.

Federal 9/11 Commission Committee 2005 Report: National Strategy for Transportation Security graded C-

President Bush, January 31, 2006 (State of the Union Address): "Our country must also remain on the offensive against terrorism here at home. The enemy has not lost the desire or capability to attack us."

Rude Cactus, February 23, 2006: "What planet are you on, buddy? Only a few years ago, we were being told to stock up on plastic sheeting and duct tape. Which is it?"

Posted by Chris at February 23, 2006 8:16 PM
Comments

OMG. I wanted to blog about this, but I. Am. Simply. At. A. Loss. WTH is he thinking? Oh right, he's not, he left all the meager few brain cells he had behind when he was snorting cocaine up his nose. Sheesh.

Posted by: amy at February 23, 2006 8:25 PM

Wow, I can't believe he said that today. So does that mean the war on terror is over?

Posted by: Beth in StL at February 23, 2006 8:40 PM

Sending you a link.

Posted by: ann adams at February 23, 2006 8:41 PM

(de·ment·ed) (d[schwa]-menąt[schwa]d) deprived of reason, mentally deteriorated; affected with dementia. See also Bush, George W.

That dude is fucking looney. Not just looney, but dangerous, demented and evil. I can't even comprehend what color the sky must be in his world.

Is it 2008 yet?

Posted by: Ms. Q at February 23, 2006 8:44 PM

I love how Bushy feels we don't need to worry about port security when there is not enough security to monitor a fifth of what comes in via shipping containers.

Human traffiking anyone?

I hope and pray the dems nominate Jesus to run in '08. I fear that's the only way things are gonna change.

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at February 23, 2006 10:29 PM

WTF. Seriously. What. The. Fuck.

At least he can't be reelected. Right? That wasn't in the Patriot Act or something, was it?

*wanders off in a cloud of uber-liberal worry*

Posted by: Autumn at February 23, 2006 10:54 PM

What he *meant* to say was, "People don't need to worry about security when I tell them not to worry. But when I tell them to worry then they should worry because worryfullness..is what this country is MADE of and if the evildoers take that away well then, uh, now, ah, what was the question agin?"

Posted by: candace at February 23, 2006 11:43 PM

Ditto what Candace said.

Same sort of thing happening over here. Tony Blair keeps switching tactics to make us sit down, wag our tails like good little puppies and take whatever loony idea the government comes up with next without barking or making a fuss.

Still, if I had to choose between the two, gotta say, I'd prefer him to rule over my country than George Bush. Call it personal preference; the ape just irritates the fuck out of me and makes me want to put my fist through the TV every time he's mentioned on the news.

Posted by: Alice at February 24, 2006 3:41 AM

Yeah...this administration sure does like to keep us angry and confused. We are much easier to manipulate that way. I am so frustrated!

Posted by: Nicole at February 24, 2006 6:18 AM

You know, I have always tried to support our president, no matter who his or what party he supports..........................

Posted by: cas at February 24, 2006 7:00 AM

it amazes me that he still has kool-aid drinking blind worshippers out there by they are so god damn well organized, it's no wonder they're 'in power'

getting liberals to agree is like herding cats (because cats are intelligent, free thinkers. imagine). and i'm increasingly frustrated with that 'other' party. i am living proof that one can be a flaming liberal, and not a democrat. not sure what that makes me, but these days, that's what i am.

p.s. george w. bush is a retarded weenie monkey boy.

Posted by: kara at February 24, 2006 8:49 AM

What was the rest of W.'s sentence? "People don't need to worry about security." wasn't all he said. That is all that was reported, right? If I'm right, that quote shouldn't have a period at the end of it.
Check this article out. I enjoyed it.

Posted by: Wondering at February 24, 2006 9:11 AM

Worry about security? What security?!?!? Majority of our troops are in Iraq or other countries that Bush has decided he wants to 'liberate', so how are we to worry about security when we have none?

And another thing thats been pissing me off, kinda around the subject, is these "WMDs"....You want to know where they really are?! On his damn Ranch!! That's why we never see him vacationing on the Ranch, but yet he seems to be there ALL THE TIME!! He probably has a stockpile that he sells via eBay to his Iraqi oil buddies. Glad to know they have a supply of bombs to kill us with sold to by our own government. Is that some kind of Bushy trade agreement???

Posted by: Michelle at February 24, 2006 9:22 AM

"Wondering" is right -- there's more to the story than was reported at first by a lot of the media.

That being said, there is still a big issue here, as Chris has illustrated. The frenzy over whether this Dubai company should be allowed control over the ports is highlighting what should have been the focus all along: port security.

The president bears blame for this, and so does Congress. They all dropped the ball.

Posted by: Julie at February 24, 2006 10:36 AM

he said that? I thought we were supposed to remain vigilant and all that jazz? I guess there's no need to tap my phone then, right W?

Posted by: laura at February 24, 2006 10:57 AM

What I find most amusing is that this Administration is in power right now because they manipulated our fears after 9/11 and claimed to be the only ones who could protect America from another attack. And now suddenly a country that provided two of the 9/11 terrorists and whose banks filtered money for the attacks and, by the way, a country that does not really have a solid record as anti-terrorism, is to be trusted? This rationale (or lack thereof) simply doesn't work.

The Bush Administration justified illegal wire-tapping with the same type of scare-tactic "reasoning." And the Iraq war. And the Patriot Act. We've seen how those have worked out. And now Bush has the audacity to suggest the concerns of millions of American citizens are based on some sort of bigotry? Laughable. Just laughable. The man is such a blatant liar/hypocrite/manipulator that it's funny. But then, I guess when you're in the "moral majority" like he is it might not seem so amusing.

This is yet another decision motivated by greed. How much business (either directly or indirectly) has the Bush family (and their friends/colleagues) done with people from UAE? They're banking on the fact that the average American doesn't have the time or resources to investigate these ties. I bet there's a connection though.

Posted by: erin at February 24, 2006 12:16 PM

Please wake me when the Bush nightmare is over...

Posted by: Marilyn at February 25, 2006 12:25 PM