March 1, 2006

Bet You Didn't Know...

Stephanie tagged me! So here, without further ado, are five things you might be surprised to learn about me.

1. I've admitted that spiders creep me out. But so do big ships, specifically big ships in large expanses of water. I was snorkeling in the Caymans once and the water was so clear I could see the underside of a cruise ship pass by off the coast. Ever since, it's just been one of those things that sends eerie chills up my spine.

2. I'm fascinated by the histories of objects and places that exist outside the mainstream. Like, I really dig watching Antiques Roadshow. I think the ability to trace the history of an object is fascinating. I like old pictures of people I don't know. I guess, more than anything, I like knowing that there are little mysteries that remain unsolved in a society that leaves little to the imagination.

3. I'm not a picky eater. That said, I have a weird food thing. I don't like it if something's been opened - even well refrigerated - for any length of time. An opened jar of pickles or salsa in the fridge? I'll probably pass. And I'm not a fan of leftovers. I mean, maybe the power went off and that leftover casserole has developed a rare, mutant strain of some deadly flesh-eating bacteria. Yes, yes, I know it's not rational but then, I never advertised myself as a rational person.

4. I'm wearing a pair of pants today that, I think, makes my ass look good. I hesitate to mention this because, well, it sounds like a girly thing to say. But really, I think my ass looks pretty decent in these pants.

5. When I was a kid, a friend and I formed a private detective agency. He was John Dickson. I was John Copley. We were independently wealthy and only took the cases that interested us. We were inspired by Magnum PI, Simon & Simon and Charlie's Angels (without the angels, sadly). Our most notable client (fake, of course) was a Mr. Zzwxys. We picked that name because it was the last name in the phone book.

There. Five brand-spankin' new nuggets of neuroticism. Instead of tagging anyone in particular, I point to you all. Even you, hiding behind the couch. For what? Several times in the past, I've opened up my comments for questions - anything you want to ask, anything you want to know. I haven't done so since becoming a dad so I figured, what the hell. So, open up the comments and ask me anything. All questions will be answered here on the site and the whole batch will be posted to my "about" page as well.

Posted by Chris at March 1, 2006 7:00 AM
Comments

What is the meaning of life?

Just kidding. Here is a question I like to ask Dads: when Mia starts dating, at age 25 of course, will you intimidate her suitors?

I'm sure the pants look great! ;-)

Posted by: Wicked H at March 1, 2006 7:29 AM

Barring the death of a loved one, or the birth of a child, do guys (or if you feel comfortable, you) have crying jags? Just to release some pressure. I've asked women this before and of course, I've gotten very different responses, from I never cry at all to I set aside time to cry every once in a while. I've never asked guys because I always felt like they wouldn't feel comfortable answering on account of how crying isn't manly and all.

Posted by: pea at March 1, 2006 7:32 AM

I have that strange open can/jar aversion too!! Leftovers? I can do the next day with some foods but after that, no thanks. You've probably posted about this but I have been MIA for awhile with the move and such so I probably missed it, so I will ask, again perhaps... what is the biggest change in your daily routine or something you just do differently in general since becoming a father? What do you do now that you didnt before, aside from kiss TWO princesses in the morning?

Posted by: Tricia at March 1, 2006 7:35 AM

Ooh! Ooh! I love these...

Where did the stop sign on the wall in your music room come from?

Posted by: Emily at March 1, 2006 7:42 AM

(busy 'awwwwing' from last part of Tricia's question)

Ok, so we know what you consider to be bad television (and let's please not go there again. I think I dreamt about Small Wonder the other night), but what was your favorite ever TV show when you were a kid? Mine was a draw between the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island.

Posted by: Contary at March 1, 2006 7:45 AM

If you could relive your entire life, but do only one thing different, what would it be?
Maybe a different career, live somewhere else, settle down sooner/later?

Its always interesting to hear what people would change if given a second chance.

Posted by: rocky at March 1, 2006 8:01 AM

What has changed the most about your veiw of YOU since Mia came along?

Posted by: Autumn at March 1, 2006 8:07 AM

I have a four day limit on food. When it hits sitting in the fridge that fifth day, it's open to anyone else who can grab it before trash day. But it wont be me.

Posted by: Jenn at March 1, 2006 8:14 AM

How about "Do you plan on having more kids?"

Posted by: Red at March 1, 2006 8:17 AM

I have the same weird food issues. Although since there's two of us, it can't be too weird, can it?

And my husband has pants that make his butt look better than others, and I waste no opportunity to tell him when his ass looks cute. And give it a squeeze.

Posted by: donna at March 1, 2006 8:19 AM

During the height of college buffoonery, did you ever think you would be where you are today?

Posted by: JackassJimmy at March 1, 2006 8:21 AM

ugh! spiders ::shudder:: my third biggest fear.
I've no problem with the leftover thing. Haven't you ever read the Hitchhiker's series? That mutant strain may just save your life.

If Mia had been a boy, what name did you have picked out?
and
Any chance we get to see a picture of your, uh, pants?

Posted by: fauve at March 1, 2006 8:27 AM

I'll ask you the same one I asked Beth.

Who would you cast to play you (and other important people in a sitcom or movie about your life?

(Can be any actor, living or dead. You know, to make it easy.)

Posted by: Pammer at March 1, 2006 8:35 AM

Out of your mobile tie collection, which tie is your favorite? Do you have a least favorite? (Like one your mother-in-law gave you that's hideous and you only wear it at family occasions where you know she's going to be)

Posted by: Michelle at March 1, 2006 8:40 AM

Oddly, not only do I feel the same way about food that has been opened, but Alison (from Aliblog) and I had a detective agency in elementary school too.

Sadly, my ass looks bad in these pants.

Posted by: Sarah at March 1, 2006 9:07 AM

I'm curious what you did with the box that was full of old remotes from electronic items you no longer own?? For the record, I was going to give you bonus points for the box if it actually had contained an iron, but, sadly, your wife ratted you out as to its true contents. ;)

Posted by: Traci at March 1, 2006 9:08 AM

No questions right now but I'm sending you a link to one of my old posts if I can find it in all the trivia I spew on granny.

Posted by: ann adams at March 1, 2006 9:20 AM

What do you like the best/least about where you live? If you could live anywhere else, where would you go?

Posted by: kim at March 1, 2006 9:21 AM

OMG! I'm totally phobic about big things, especially big ships! I thought I was the only one.

Posted by: mooalex at March 1, 2006 9:43 AM

You're right...I think your ass looks FAH-bulous in those pants.

Here's a two-parter: When you have a quiet moment, and your mind wanders, where does it most often land? And when you're really, really pissed, does it ever recall a deep-seeded memory of something in your past that made you feel the same? If so, what was it?

Posted by: CroutonBoy at March 1, 2006 10:22 AM

What CD in your (apparently expansive) collection would you be embarrased about owning if we found out about it?

Posted by: Jessie at March 1, 2006 10:30 AM

If you could do one thing before you die (and if money were not an object) what would you do?

Posted by: Jay Wilkins at March 1, 2006 11:11 AM

Okay, I'll bite. I'll give me something to put up. Ass looks cute in those pants? Prove it!

Posted by: VirgoJen at March 1, 2006 11:20 AM

How far will you go in interrigation of perspective suitors for young Mia when she reaches the age where suitors are calling?

Think someone will probably have always asked that one already being honest (reading the comments FIRST would be good Alice...) so, lets see...

What was Mr. Zzwxys your client for? Tell us the story.

And, most importantly: what colour are the pants, and do Beth and Mia agree with you? Not that it matters if they DO, because obviously good self image is important, but, you know, just wondering.

Posted by: Alice at March 1, 2006 11:26 AM

Wow I also suffer from leftover avoidance I won't touch it once it gets cold if its a hot meal or if its an open jar!

What is the one thing (besides your daughter, your cats, and your wife pretty much anything not breathing) that you would save in a fire? Guitar, Cd, That Stop Sign?

I'm with VirgoJen if it looks nice prove It!!!

Posted by: Sunshine at March 1, 2006 11:43 AM

I'm with VirgoJen if it looks nice prove It!!!

Posted by: Sunshine at March 1, 2006 11:43 AM

if you could have one day without any family obligations (pretend Beth and Mia went away on a little mommy-daughter holiday)--what would you do?

Posted by: Bethany at March 1, 2006 12:16 PM

Now you'll have to prove how good your ass looks in those pants ;)

Posted by: Ava at March 1, 2006 12:16 PM

i'm still stuck on the magnum, p.i. and simon & simon reference - aahhh, the memories! some of my favorite men of all time, right there. ;)

hmmmm...a question? how about: have you ever colored your hair?

Posted by: Sarcomical at March 1, 2006 1:09 PM

I am so with you on the leftovers. I give any to my kids for their lunch because they don't seem to mind. I think that neurotic is a good term. Especially because it gets thrown at me quite often. I love History too, but I've never actually seen the antiques Roadshow. I've seen a lot of Antiques though, my aunt owns an antique mall in Dallas. I won't make any comments about the ass thing thought. We'll just leave that one alone.

HHHmmm - questions for you. Lets see - Do you and Beth think you will ever have any more kids? You make beautiful babies you know. And one other, although I am stealing this from Dooce, as she asked it the other day. What do you hope your daughter will grow up to be?

Posted by: Melissa at March 1, 2006 1:38 PM

Gee, and I thought it was just me on #3...I'm with you on the whole leftovers/things being opened too long thing. Well, at least even if we are weird, we're in good company :)

Posted by: Michelle at March 1, 2006 1:48 PM

When you're driving and someone cuts you off in traffic, do you right off look at their plate to see where they're from? And having done that do you excuse the people from out of state (cause they don't know how to drive here) or do you growl and mentally wish them back to whatever backwoods state they oozed from?

Posted by: Nic at March 1, 2006 2:09 PM

If Beth has ever asked you, "Do I look fat in these pants?" (I can't imagine she'd look anything else but georgous but women tend to ask things like that anyway...) What was your answer?

Posted by: Lisa B at March 1, 2006 4:06 PM

Have you ever really hated someone? I mean that really deep seeded hate, pure, straight, stemming from your toes kind of hate. If so, why? And have you gotten over it?

Posted by: melati at March 1, 2006 4:06 PM

I have that weird thing about boats, too. Whenever I'm swimming underwater in the lake, it creeps me out when a boat goes by and you can hear the rotor SO LOUDLY.

Uh, I'm no good at random questions...

Okay, what's your favourite time of day? I'm an early morning guy myself, before the sun's risen but it's still pretty light out. Of course, I'm never awake then...

Posted by: Gavin at March 1, 2006 4:50 PM

You should've posted a pic of yourself in the pants LOL. I'll tell ya if they are any good or not ;-)

(Oh crap. Now I sound like some freaky internet stalker--strike that comment from the record)

Posted by: Ginny at March 1, 2006 7:08 PM

If you had your own tv channel one night a week and it played only OLD shows that were in syndication, what would be your line-up from 6-10 p.m.?

Posted by: wordgirl at March 1, 2006 9:48 PM

I know you're a musician so I'll ask you this. Which band/musical artist do you think has had the biggest influence--good or bad--on the music industry in the U.S. and why?

Sounds like an essay question. Sorry, but I'm curious!

Posted by: Beth in StL at March 1, 2006 9:52 PM

Drat. I missed your blog one day and now my opportunity is gone for...who knows, how long. But if you have a round two, I would like to know more about your dating life prior to Ms. Fish (Beth). You mentioned once about a scary relationship. What exactly happened (details)? Question #2 What dream (goal, or expectation) did your parents have of you that you didn't reach and why? #3 What do you believe happens to you after you die? #4 What will you do when Mia's first word is Fuck?

That is enough for now.

Posted by: Krista at March 2, 2006 3:54 PM

Still taking questions? Because I'm wondering, if you had to move to a different city, where would you go and why?

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at March 2, 2006 5:02 PM