April 17, 2006

Non-Traditional Easter

Ahh, yes. Another holiday and another perfect time for me to stick something on my head.

This Easter was anything but conventional. The whole thing started to unravel on Friday. As planned, I took the day off but instead of whatever it was I had planned (who knows?), I found myself doing battle with termites. Yes, it was me against the many mighty winged creatures. There were a hell of a lot more of them than there was of me but I had chemicals on my side. I'm not going to bore you with the details but it is sufficient to say that we had a major swarm a while back that damn near rendered my wife catatonic. According to our termite experts, they're "under control" and we can expect them to flare up like this despite the fact that the insanely expensive system we installed is "doing exactly what it's supposed to do." Still, Friday, for me, became all about stomping out bugs and repairing other assorted, unrelated damage to our hardwood floors and baseboards. I know...you're jealous.

Friday also brought the flu to my mom (thus cancelling Easter Sunday plans) and a savage bout of senility to my great aunt (resulting in an "evaluation period" in the mental ward of a local hospital). Both are great topics for stand-alone posts but...Happy Easter! Nothing goes with holidays better than a hacking cough and mental instability.

Saturday was a bit more relaxing. We spent the day watching Mia crawl and abuse the cat. Then, we got her dressed and headed to Beth's parents place for a last minute Easter dinner. Everyone had been planning to have dinner at my parents' place on Sunday but clearly that was out unless we all wanted to be infected by whatever mutant strain of flu she was coping with. So, despite the fact that everyone in attendance was going casual, we got Mia into her Easter dress, got a little spiffied up ourselves and headed over. The dress was insanely cute (view the entire set of pics here) and dinner was wonderfully fun.

On Sunday, there was more crawling, plenty of playing and a teensy bit of napping. Standard-issue baby fun. I made a fine dinner of spaghetti, which I informed Mia was the traditional Easter dinner. Of course, while I was spreading such misinformation, I also told her that spaghetti was first consumed by Jesus as he was sailing his three ships across the Atlantic in search of the New World. As I later mentioned to Beth, "If we're wrong about the whole religion thing, we're really going to hell."

And now, it's Monday. Gah. My recommendation? Check out the pictures or the slideshow. A cute baby will make you feel better.

Posted by Chris at April 17, 2006 7:52 AM
Comments

Yes, what is a holiday with out a little flu & mental instability?

Honestly, I hope every one is doing better and as always you daughter is way too cute for words.

Posted by: jenn at April 17, 2006 7:57 AM

please tell me you're not entertaining thoughts of home-schooling Mia. After all, Fairfax County has one of the best educational systems in the country. You can't pass up on that. Please, for her sake! :D

that dress, i think i've seen it somewhere else before. oh yeah, it was in the dictionary next to adorable.

Posted by: patricia at April 17, 2006 8:22 AM

Awww - yes, my Monday morning is much better now that I've seen those completely adorable pics of Mia!

Posted by: Marie at April 17, 2006 8:25 AM

She is a cutie.

Jesus on three ships? Couldn't he have just walked? Plymouth Rock and Peter the Rock Coincidence?

Posted by: Bill at April 17, 2006 9:10 AM

Adorable pictures, as always.

Posted by: fauve at April 17, 2006 9:22 AM

Whip it Good, Cactus. Oh yeah, that second lame haiku was mine... Not the SECOND lame one, the first LAME one. But the second one.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at April 17, 2006 9:23 AM

hmmm. what is it about the holidays that brings out the mentally unstable in people. my MIL was also in the psyc ward this weekend. fun times. Hope your great aunt (and your mom for that matter) feel better soon...

Posted by: suze at April 17, 2006 9:29 AM

What's too funny is that I got the same Easter basket that's on your head from my roommate. Also good to know Mia got to wear her stockings since you got to wear them (on your head of course) last time. The pics are great! They made for a good Monday! :) (And yes, the dress is adorable! Hopefully you won't try to squeeze into that!) LOL

Posted by: Michelle at April 17, 2006 9:31 AM

Ah yes, the joys of dealing with the family at the holidays. Sometimes I'm really happy I live hours away from them.

Mia just gets cuter and cuter every day!

Posted by: Beth in StL at April 17, 2006 10:04 AM

I wasn't catatonic, I was hysterical.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at April 17, 2006 10:17 AM

Termites would make me hysterical too.

I love Mia's dress. So pretty! And what a wonderful set of photos. You all look so happy.

Posted by: bad penguin at April 17, 2006 10:19 AM

Sounds like you had some fun despite the ruined plans. Mia looks adorable in her Easter Dress!

Posted by: Jessie at April 17, 2006 10:27 AM

Hope things improve with your family. Flexibility is wonderful. I got sick T'giving day one year and we ordered Chinese in and ate the turkey for Christmas. Spaghetti is mild by comparison.

Beautiful dress and child.

Posted by: ann adams at April 17, 2006 10:37 AM

Adorable as always. Oh yeah, the dress is cute too. ;)

Posted by: Traci at April 17, 2006 10:39 AM

Babies and puppies -- always a crowd pleaser! Sorry to hear about your mom's flu and your great aunt's, um, issues. Thanks for the pics, and happy belated Easter! (You guys clean up nice, btw.)

Posted by: shelley at April 17, 2006 10:41 AM

Wow, hope the family is getting better. Thank you for sharing the gorgeous pics.

Posted by: Wicked H at April 17, 2006 10:41 AM

Cute pics! She looks like a little princess!

Posted by: Sabrina at April 17, 2006 12:03 PM

Is it really lame that I have been waiting for those pictures all weekend?

Posted by: jen at April 17, 2006 12:09 PM

That dress IS adorable (as, of course, is the child wearing it). Raisin's grandma picked out an Easter dress for her. It came with a white hat, which Raisin HATED. She actually stepped on it when it was suggested that she might want to put it on her head.

Posted by: Julie at April 17, 2006 12:11 PM

Great holiday story! We had steak for Easter at my family - no joke! And your comment on my blog today made my day. I've been remiss in my daily blog reading, so now you've kicked my ass in gear.

Posted by: Heather at April 17, 2006 12:32 PM

Mia pictures make everything better. :)

Posted by: Heather at April 17, 2006 12:34 PM

Since my kids are all grown up and have decided that they didn't want new Easter outfits, nor candy (only video games and cold hard cash), I watched the slide show. How beautiful!--the entire family!

While Mia looked like a doll in her dress, I like the very last photo the best. It says it all--"Its been a tough day."

Posted by: Kristen at April 17, 2006 12:41 PM

omg, that dress is so cute...she looks adorable!

I wish spaghetti really was the traditional easter feast - I'm so sick of ham!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at April 17, 2006 12:54 PM

Reading your weekend summary was a lot more interesting that my whole weekend alone. Anyway, Happy Easter! The Mia pictures are awesome, as always, and you're right, pictures of such a cute baby do make us feel better (at least they work for me :)

Posted by: Ava at April 17, 2006 1:10 PM

I don't know, I think I prefer my holidays without a hacking cough and mental instability. The pictures are adorable. Termites suck, I hope you got them all.

Posted by: Melissa at April 17, 2006 1:32 PM

buckethead! buckethead!

Posted by: jodi at April 17, 2006 2:18 PM

Great photos not only of Mia in all of her cuteness but the whole family as well.

Posted by: Emily at April 17, 2006 2:22 PM

A cute baby ALWAYS makes me feel better. :) Yes, the dress - frickin' adorable!! I knew I could get my fill of cute Mia easter pics today. ;)

Posted by: Jaime at April 17, 2006 3:28 PM

Aww... I LOVE Mia in her beautiful little Easter dress.... I think I need a little girl as sweet as yours!

Posted by: Lisa B at April 17, 2006 3:37 PM

I am so going to miss you while I'm gone. The bucket-head pictures of you would go nicely with the popcorn-bucket-head pictures of my daughter. Her idea, I swear.

Posted by: candace at April 17, 2006 3:38 PM

She's so adorable in that dress. You take great pictures by the way.

Posted by: Mary at April 17, 2006 3:39 PM

She looks like a fairy princess. You guys made a gorgeous little girl.

Posted by: wordgirl at April 17, 2006 4:34 PM

She made my morning and took the monday blues away!

Posted by: Katherine at April 17, 2006 4:42 PM

We had a lamb leg in the fridge, but due to last minute plan changes we actually ate homemade Thai food for dinner.

Thai, spaghetti- same difference.

And if you're going to hell for what you believe, we'll be right there with ya'!

Posted by: heels at April 17, 2006 5:37 PM

Would that be the Nina, the Pinto, and the Santa Maria or the Mayflower ... ?

Posted by: mrsfortune at April 17, 2006 6:05 PM

Would that be the Nina, the Pinto, and the Santa Maria or the Mayflower ... ?

Posted by: mrsfortune at April 17, 2006 6:05 PM

OH, MY. GOD. Chris those pics are great!!!! The Bean, she is toooo precious. The chubby litle arms dear lord!!. Are ya'll in an Azealea darden too??? You guys all look so happy and beautiful, er handsome, you know what I mean:)

Posted by: Bethany at April 17, 2006 6:08 PM

Yes it's true, cute babies make it all better!!! And cute she is! Now, being a teacher and all I am compelled to tell you that your history lesson was a tad off. But I'm an easy grader so, you're lucky ;) Hope your week sails by...

Posted by: Kate at April 17, 2006 6:12 PM

Those Flickr photos were so cute I almost cried!

Posted by: DeAnn at April 17, 2006 6:28 PM

Love the Easter photos. What are you doing to get that kind of saturated, spotlight-looking effect? It's really cool. You MUST tell me. My pictures are borrrrrrring. They need help.

Posted by: Izzy at April 17, 2006 10:28 PM

I always say, "There's something about holidays that make people want to sit in the bathroom and quietly slit their wrists." :-) Glad everyone survived!!!!!

Posted by: Steph at April 17, 2006 10:51 PM

You are freakin halarious. ( I suspect you may know this).

That bit about "Jesus sailing his three ships across the Atlantic..." :).

Who knows. Could be true.

Posted by: alfredsmom at April 18, 2006 12:52 PM

By the way, tell Beth she looks absolutely beautiful.

Posted by: alfredsmom at April 18, 2006 12:54 PM

Awww, that dress is too cute!! You sure have two gorgeous women in your life Chris!

Posted by: Sweety at April 19, 2006 1:43 PM