April 24, 2006

Random Mondayness

Because it's early and I'm only five sips into a very large and very necessary cup of coffee, I'm afraid I can provide only unfocused commentary this morning. My apologies in advance.

Topic #1: Photography

Fundamental rule of photography: sometimes, it's the accidental snaps that come out far better than the planned portraits.

Topic #2: Sleep
Yes, we got sleep. Fuckin A that stuff is good. I'd kinda forgotten. We decided to try a slightly different technique which (knock on wood) is working out pretty well. We also installed a Mia surveillance system (details forthcoming) which has also helped. Overall, good sleep weekend.

Topic #3: Shakespearean Donuts
I've been mixing up my standard morning donut order of late. Maybe a vanilla frosted here, a blueberry cake there...and maybe a complete departure in the form of a croissant or bagel. I've settled on your standard glazed for the last couple of days. The woman that's there in the morning always repeats my order back to me and there's always been something quirky about this that I haven't been able to figure out...until this morning. When she says glazed she pronounces it as I'd imagine Shakespeare would have, with the ed as an entirely separate syllable. Glaze-ed. What donut through yonder window breaks? For it is glaze-ed.

Topic #4: Dumbass Runners
I don't mean to imply that all runners are dumbasses. But some specific ones are. Like the guy who, a quarter mile from my office, decided that the hint of a cross-walk across a busy road gave him the right to run out in front of me. Even if you did have the right of way (which he didn't), would you even consider stepping out in front of moving vehicles at 6:00 in the morning when you know that most drivers are barely awake and haven't had the requisite amount of coffee? I didn't think so.

Topic #5: Walking
I had a dream last night that I was picking up Mia from somewhere and she just started walking. It was freaky. Of course, in the same dream, I ended up fighting a school of mutant, air-breathing sharks armed with harpoons so that was a little freaky too.

Topic #6: Addresses
Remember when I lied to you last week? If you won the contest - as I believe 12 of you did, please send me your addresses. I owe you some tunes and my psychic powers aren't so hot when it comes to mail.

Okay, enough about me. How are you?

Posted by Chris at April 24, 2006 7:31 AM
Comments

Sleep - YAY for you!

I am well, thanks for asking.

Posted by: Wicked H at April 24, 2006 7:29 AM

Sleepy. I am very sleepy. And I get the feeling the next 7.5 hours are going to take their sweet ol' time in passing today. I think you should use your bloggy powers to hold some sort of lottery pool. We could all chip in a dollar and buy a ton of tickets and then split the winnings. I'm in such need of a very long (but paid) vacation! :D

Posted by: pea at April 24, 2006 7:53 AM

My hubby always has superhero dreams. "I dreamed Noah was getting kidnapped and I had to SAVE HIM! I had to beat up 20 ninjas! And then I threw one of the cliff and and and"
zzzz.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at April 24, 2006 8:28 AM

GAH. Dumbass runners give all of us a bad name. HATE.

Posted by: Dawn at April 24, 2006 8:58 AM

Okay...except for the funeral I'm attending later today. Another breast cancer statistic. Damn.

Posted by: wordgirl at April 24, 2006 9:10 AM

I'm hoping for rain. I would like to paint my hallway tonight, but I'm supposed to play softball. There is rain in the forecast, but it is clear and sunny at the moment.

Posted by: Melissa at April 24, 2006 9:24 AM

That is a great pic--and probably the runner was just as asleep as you were ;-)..in fact he may have been sleep-running. That happens.

Posted by: Ginny at April 24, 2006 9:53 AM

I love that picture. Yay for sleep and glaz-ed donuts.

You just received the first comment I ever left from my new laptop. Woot. This is fun.

Happy Monday.

Posted by: Ms. Q at April 24, 2006 10:05 AM

Eh, I've been better, thanks.

Posted by: shelley at April 24, 2006 10:07 AM

Yay for sleep! I don't even have a baby, but I don't sleep well lately, but I did have one good night of sleep this weekend and it was WONDERFUL. So yes, very yay for sleep! Hope the trend continues for you.

Posted by: Jessie at April 24, 2006 10:10 AM

I don't think hanging around moving vehicles when their operators haven't had enough coffee is a good idea under ANY circumstance.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at April 24, 2006 10:20 AM

awww, what a cutie :)

Posted by: tiffanie at April 24, 2006 10:23 AM

well, I'm GREAT now that I saw that lovely picture of "sunshine" you posted!

Glaze-ed donuts? very strange.

And thanks. now I'm hungry.

Posted by: Kristen at April 24, 2006 10:48 AM

well, I'm GREAT now that I saw that lovely picture of "sunshine" you posted!

Glaze-ed donuts? very strange.

And thanks. now I'm hungry.

Posted by: Kristen at April 24, 2006 10:48 AM

i love sleep. i'm still asleep, as a matter of fact, i won't wake up until about 10:30. that being the case, i can confirm it would be a VERY BAD idea for someone to dash out in front of my car. very bad.

Posted by: jodi at April 24, 2006 10:50 AM

Some people just don't use any common sense. I would have a heart attack if someone stepped out in front of my car like that.

So glad you triumphed over the mutant, air-breathing, harpoon carrying sharks.

Posted by: bad penguin at April 24, 2006 10:56 AM

Fine, Chris! How are you? :D Still waking up myself...and thinking about my own weird dreams, heh.

Yet another cute picture of Mia. My, that girl is photogenic.

Posted by: Spring at April 24, 2006 10:56 AM

Re: #1:
HOLY CUTE.

And I'm with you on the "accidents are often the best photos" thing. I can plan all I want, but the best ones are the ones I thought were screw ups.

As for me? Unproductive. Figures, doesn't it? Hello, Monday!

Posted by: Opal at April 24, 2006 10:56 AM

I can hardly believe how grown up Mia looks in that photo - it seems like she's about to say something profound.

I have even more sympathy for your usual sleep-deprived state because my puppydog was very ill this weekend. Short version: NEVER LET A TODDLER FEED YOUR DOG RASINS - it can cause KIDNEY FAILURE. (It was an accident; I had no clue there was a raisin on the floor and I turned my back for the wrong 2.5 seconds but I still feel just horrible about it). I was able to pull a very chewed up raisin out of my (11 pound) dog's mouth before she swallowed. After an emergency visit to the vet, I *think* all's well, but I certainly did no favors to her lifespan . . .

To the puppy-lovers: Chocolate, Onions, Rasins and Grapes can be TOXIC to dogs, pass the word.

Gah, sorry to rant, I'll let you have your blog back now. :)

Posted by: Betti at April 24, 2006 10:59 AM

Those cheeks! Can I order a dozen glazed of those? Sweet, sweet picture!

Happy Monday!

Posted by: VirgoJen at April 24, 2006 11:06 AM

Doing well, thanks. Slept in, though, and now I'm kinda discombobulated.

Posted by: Alison at April 24, 2006 11:13 AM

And, ye, though the glaz-ed doth thrill me,
It is the undunkethed cake that shall kill me.

Posted by: Pammer at April 24, 2006 11:31 AM

Dude, I totally agree with the running crap. Why don't you at least go DO something? Unless I'm running FROM something, or to a buffet, then forget it. And those people are crazy. Like people don't have to follow the same traffic rules that others do. (although i suppose this rant is really for those crazy bike-riding fuckers in the loop. arrrghhhhhhh.)
yeah, Monday sucks.

Posted by: andy at April 24, 2006 11:31 AM

yeah, Monday sucks.

Posted by: andy at April 24, 2006 11:31 AM

yeah, Monday sucks.

Posted by: andy at April 24, 2006 11:31 AM

That photo is awesome! Was that taken with your Lomo?

Posted by: catbird at April 24, 2006 11:49 AM

That picture of Mia is awesome and also I want a Shakespearean donut.

Posted by: Kristin at April 24, 2006 11:52 AM

Mia let you sleep??? She isn't doing her job right. I'll have to report her to the baby bureau. LOL

Posted by: Melissa at April 24, 2006 12:02 PM

damn you and your donuts...you always make me hungry...

can you send me a few krispy kremes when you send me my prize?????

and mia? gorgeous as always.
what kind of camera do you use?

Posted by: ali at April 24, 2006 12:28 PM

Rejoicing in a sleep celebration as well. My son (3yo) has decided his big boy bed is sufficient for an ENTIRE night's sleep. Yep. 2 nights in a row... and a bribe complete with numerous sports related pillows and bean bags, a new sports themed bedspread , and more praise than I've gotten in my entire lifetime. But hey... it worked. And I can relate to the rejoicing. :-) Happy Monday it is!

Posted by: Bethany at April 24, 2006 12:34 PM

sleep is good - too bad mine was interrupted with an "appointment" with AAA this morning to fix a tire. They were too backed up last night to come out - OY!

Posted by: Sue at April 24, 2006 12:40 PM

*In my best Homer Simpson* Mmmm, donuts.

Yet another great picture. Mia's gotta have quite the baby album going. And I'm glad to hear you and Beth are finally getting some well-deserv-ed sleep.

I'm doing well, thanks for asking. I took Friday off and enjoyed a fun-filled three day weekend that I desperately needed after tax season. Looking forward to a four-day weekend coming up and going to the Cards/Nats game on Friday!

Posted by: Beth in StL at April 24, 2006 12:48 PM

I won so make sure you get my tunes in the mail asap.

It WAS a good sleeping weekend. Our problem is not longer the human children but the furry ones. They think we should spring out of bed at 6 am on the weekends too. We locked 'em downstairs on Saturday night. Thought we had won too until we got up and the dumb butt pug had pooped in the laundry room. There is a price for everything....

Runners ARE dumbasses. Why else are they runners?

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at April 24, 2006 1:11 PM

I ALWAYS have tornado dreams...I wonder what that's about?

Posted by: Nik at April 24, 2006 1:17 PM

I wish I had a very large coffee, too, but otherwise things are looking good. Congrats on the sleep and your Shakesperian donut encounter.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to no donuts.

Posted by: Liz at April 24, 2006 1:20 PM

my god, man. you are blessed with the most beautiful daughter I've ever seen.

Also, you get a donut everyday? LUCKY!

Posted by: melati at April 24, 2006 2:17 PM

Thy glaze-ed donuts is such as hath been belched on by infected lungs - Pericles

Google Search
shakespeare + donuts = Results 1 - 10 of about 449,000(0.60 seconds)

Posted by: Johnny "Shakespeare" Smoke at April 24, 2006 2:25 PM

Why would you need to deviate from the blueberry cake donut? I'm sorry but it's the world's perfectest donut and no others need compete, glaz-ed or no.

Posted by: mrsfortune at April 24, 2006 2:29 PM

Man, I wish we had a donut shop in town. We have grocery store donuts. Not the same.

That is a great shot of Mia! I can almost picture now what she will look like at age 2.

Posted by: Jenorama at April 24, 2006 2:33 PM

Wow, men really must have better imaginations than women, cause those dreams of yours... freaky might just be an understatement. LOL

Posted by: Bella at April 24, 2006 3:12 PM

Glaze-ed.

ha! I have no idea why that cracked me up so, but it did!

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at April 24, 2006 3:21 PM

Um... donuts. Chris, you freaking crack me up. Great post, even for a Monday. And you know I love to scare you with this, but the child WILL walk one day. :)

Posted by: Melissa at April 24, 2006 3:45 PM

What a darling picture!!

Hoop and I regularly sleep talk to one another. The only reason why I know this is because sometimes I wake up in the middle of our conversations. It's kind of freaky. This morning he was yelling at me for interupting a poker game. I must have asked if he was winning because I woke up to, "Winning? I hadn't even started playing!"

Posted by: Tink at April 24, 2006 3:47 PM

I'm losing my mind trying to plan a wedding! But thank you for asking. That was very nice of you. :)

P.S. GREAT shot of Mia!

Posted by: Emily at April 24, 2006 4:22 PM

Good Lord my cute-o-meter just blew.

Posted by: Moobs at April 24, 2006 4:45 PM

I have no idea why but the total "glaz-ed" thing made me LOL. But I still hate you because you can eat donuts everyday...

Posted by: Jodi at April 24, 2006 5:55 PM

Posted by: Jodi at April 24, 2006 5:55 PM

Posted by: Jodi at April 24, 2006 5:56 PM

Topic #4 - Dumbass Runners
I have to say in his defense that perhaps this runner chose his time and place specifically! Perhaps he is like me, and less than a week away from his first half marathon for which he feels woefully unprepared - and maybe, just maybe, he thinks if you clip him he won't have to run on Saturday. (Dang, why didn't I think of that?!)

Posted by: Lilymane at April 24, 2006 6:14 PM

By the stickiness of my thumbs,
something frosted this way comes.

Posted by: Gavin at April 24, 2006 7:11 PM

I just discovered your brilliant madness. My little one is almost 8 mos. Therefore I am REALLY sleepy. I look forward to what tomorrow holds.

Posted by: mich at April 24, 2006 9:01 PM

Ha-haha. Love #3, glaze-ed, kinda reminds me of So I married an axe murderer. Wo-man..wo-man....woooooooooooo-man. Y'know. Oh, and effing DARLING picture of Ms. Mia, as usual.

Posted by: Bethany at April 24, 2006 9:34 PM

Eh...I have been way better...I had a procedure for my back issue...and I am HURTING!!! The only good thing...I came home early from work to get medicated...still I find it hard to sit, lay down, stand and generally relax!

I could appreciate some good sleep...think it has been at LEAST 18 months since it was pain-free...ut oh...I am griping! Sorry.

Posted by: Gypsy at April 24, 2006 10:39 PM

you really are funny, i had forgotten..been busy lately. mia looks great, she is getting big!!!

Posted by: lizabetty at April 24, 2006 11:28 PM

Cutest baby ever!

I am also very sleep deprived and totally stressed. My first large paper for my PhD is due tomorrow and my other professor has moved hers to next week. Unfortunately, I will be in Philadelphia at a conference all weekend so I really need to try to wrap them both up before tomorrow's class at the other school. So, please send ideas on how to stay awake and get this all done and done well.

Posted by: Krush at April 25, 2006 12:06 AM

Yeay for sleep. Hey I've told you a million times about how you remind me of my hubby. He's finally put up is own blog! I think you inspired him. Yeay!

Posted by: Lisa B at April 25, 2006 12:32 AM

I'm curious what your technique is!

Although we don't really need it. Tim sleeps from 9 PM to 8.30 AM. We're really blessed! :)

Posted by: Sweety at April 25, 2006 2:08 AM

oh, and that photo of Mia? SO beautiful! She has such gorgeous big brown eyes. Forget Bambi, here's Mia!

Posted by: Sweety at April 25, 2006 2:11 AM

ah yes; runners. As in people who run.
Not long pieces of decorative material that adorn one's table.

Posted by: s@bd at April 25, 2006 8:11 AM

You take the BEST portraits!! (this one is no exception)

Posted by: Ava at April 25, 2006 2:19 PM