April 14, 2006

Schadenfreude Friday: Martyrdom In Action

For the past few Fridays, I've written a little, regular column I've called Schadenfreude Friday. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I have to admit that I find a little pleasure in the pain of some of the world's premiere asshats. You know, the overachievers. Today is no different. It's usually easy to find the humor. In that respect, it is different this Friday.

Testifying shortly after his defense team began presenting its case for sparing his life, Moussaoui also said he had no regrets about the attacks and the grief they caused the victims' families. When asked directly if he had any regrets, he replied: "None whatsoever." Asked why, he said, "The question is why not? As a person, I find it disgusting that some people will come here to share their grief. I find that disgusting." (Washington Post)

He mocked a Navy officer who wept as she described the death of two subordinates in the attack on the Pentagon. "I think it was disgusting for a military person" to cry, Moussaoui said of Lt. Nancy McKeown. "She is military. She should expect people at war with her to want to kill her." Asked if he was happy to hear her sobbing, he said, "Make my day." (Associated Press)

Mr. Moussaoui displayed the shifting, contradictory behavior that has confounded his lawyers. At times he criticized their strategy and suggested changes in it, as though he cared about saving his own life. At other times, as in his reply to Mr. Spencer and his assertion that Israel "is just a missing star in the American flag," and in mocking the grief of families of Sept. 11 victims, he seemed to be inviting the jurors to condemn him to death. (New York Times)

He said another reason he has no regret is that "we did it for this reason: We wanted to inflict pain on your country. . . . I wish there would be more pain because next week and the week after, the children of Palestine will have more pain. . . . I want you to share the pain." (Washington Post)

I think you can see my dilemma here. I don't know what to say. Like Moussaoui, those quotes seem to speak for themselves.

On September 11th, I drove up a hill, over which I saw the black smoke rising from the Pentagon. The immediate aftermath was nothing short of sheer, unadulterated confusion. The radio reported that the Towers had been hit, reported a small plane crashing into the Pentagon, reported a car bomb outside the State Department and reported explosions at the Gannett building, home of USA Today. Traffic was gridlocked. People abandoned their cars and walked. It was terrifying.

When I walked through my front door, I found Beth home, watching television. I stood for at least an hour. Entranced. Watching the Towers fall. And I realized half of my surprise was rooted in the fact that I'd never, once, sitting in traffic in my car, counted on seeing tape of what was happening. It was inconceivable. Yet there it was.

Eventually, a silence enveloped us. We realized that this was largely due to the airport, ten miles away, being shut down. Later that afternoon, a helicopter flew over. Everyone in the neighborhood walked out their front doors or stepped onto their balconies. I think I understood, for an instant, what it was like to be a refugee or a disaster victim seeing civilization arrive once again.

I tell this because it is my personal experience. And each of us have their own. Each of us were, most likely and to one degree or another, impacted and somehow changed by the events of 911 and the people that carried them out.

Mr. Moussaoui would have us believe he was one of them. Mr. Moussaoui, however, wants to be a martyr. He is an extremist and, by definition, anything but rational. What should happen to him? I don't believe in the death penalty, even for a guy like this. The cruel reality of his life in prison is worse punishment, in my view. Death is just a way out, a way to ease his own suffering and die a would-be hero, a martyr.

I'd like to hear what you think.

Posted by Chris at April 14, 2006 8:20 AM
Comments

Ooh...that's a hard one. I think I agree with you - killing him would make him a martyr, which is what he wants. Why should he get what he wants?

Posted by: Jessie at April 14, 2006 8:25 AM

Agreed. In most death penalty arguments, I respectfully abstain from taking a side, because I don't know how I'd feel as the victim of a serious crime (murder of a loved one, etc.), but in this case, the extremity of the act or intention seems to warrant that the punishment be truly punishing, if that makes sense. And a quick lethal injection doesn't do it for me.

Cactus, I was in the same relative spot as you on 9/11 (Crystal City) and still frequent the Pentagon for work. Just curious, what's your thoughts on the Flight 93 movie? Have you seen the trailer yet?

Posted by: Nicole at April 14, 2006 8:35 AM

I do think that death is what this person wants but regardless, we don't have to indulge him. Let us show that we are better than he and his like, that we don't need to kill to make a point. This man's death won't punish the people who are really responsible, just the one (ONE!) we could capture.

Posted by: Nic at April 14, 2006 8:38 AM

I think he needs to be Bubba's bitch in prison, that's what I think.

Posted by: Lauren at April 14, 2006 8:44 AM

He should be confined for life, just like Rudolf Hess. He does not deserve the move to martyrdom

Posted by: jennifer at April 14, 2006 8:54 AM

Don just read that to me from this morning's paper. I find it incomprehensible.

and I think death is too good for him. He should sit alone and think about his lack of regrets. For a very long time.

Posted by: cas at April 14, 2006 8:57 AM

He doesn't deserve to be put to death.

I hope that makes sense. In essence, I agree with you.

Posted by: Alison at April 14, 2006 9:01 AM

They should force him to undergo a sex change operation and then throw him in prison for the rest of his life. That might be a good hell for him to live for a while.

But The horrible truth is that it won't change anything. The towers still fell and people still died, and no matter what we do to him, it has no effect on what happened on 9/11.

His fellow killers somewhere in Afghanistan/Pakistan/Middle East still rejoice about the attack and apparently couldn't care less what we do to him. Even he doesn't care what we do to him. We could chop him up into pieces and feed him to hogs, and it wouldn't matter. And there would be one more right behind him to replace him.

We changed our entire defensive stance in this country because of 9/11. We changed how the government is allowed to treat people, their property, and their personal information. All for protecting us from attacks. So we could be safe.

How many times have we heard the phrase "in this post 9/11 world"? As if the rest of the world was affected like we were. As if they had never felt the effects of war, terror, bombings, dictatorship, and death. I think the proper phrase is "in this post 9/11 US".

Killing Moussaoui may help some of us feel better, because revenge can do that for a while. Some of us will be angry. But in the end Moussaoui will be gone, and we will still be here, hiding behind our prison wall of governmental safety. The real question, I think, is not what to do with Moussaoui. But what are we going to do with ourselves?

Posted by: Jon in Michigan at April 14, 2006 9:05 AM

It's 6:11 a.m. PST and I'm reading THIS? ;-D Yeah. Happy Good Friday to you too.

I say lock the guy up in the Hole for the rest of his life. That'll do it.

Posted by: Oakley at April 14, 2006 9:09 AM

I'm not too concerned over his wishes to be cast as a martyr; many others have gone before and many more will come after.

If folks are hung up over the fact he doesn't seem to show remorse or guilt, we should also be looking to the folks in our government - those who permit, plan, and carry out air strikes against peoples who are unable to defend themselves, for example, or those who allow corporations to pollute our landbases, etc.

Posted by: Anne at April 14, 2006 9:14 AM

I don't believe in the death penalty either and I sure don't believe in giving him what he wants.

I wonder - is it as hard for you as it is for me to stand on principle sometimes?

Posted by: ann adams at April 14, 2006 9:21 AM

I agree, death is to good for him. He should spend the rest of his life make large rocks into small rocks.....everyday and allday.

Posted by: clemiewynn at April 14, 2006 9:27 AM

Just a few facts from my research regarding the death penalty...

1. it is cheaper to keep someone alive in prison for the rest of their life than it is to kill them.

2. we are the only "civilized" nation that still uses the death penalty in the world--and that doesn't make sense to me if we are the most advanced.

My thoughts on Moussaoui, let him rot in prison...and make him do it in solitary...otherwise another prisoner might kill him and still give him what he wnats. He already is way too satisfied with what his people have done to America. Let him see what America has to offer in terms of our criminal justice system.

Posted by: Krush at April 14, 2006 9:30 AM

I think the worst possible punishment for him would be to let him live. He seems to me to be goading the jurors into giving him the death penalty and I hope they see through that. His defense team is trying to portray him as insane, which he is not, though some overly naive people might think it is crazy to hate the U.S. as much as he does. Do I think he's been brainwashed? To some extent, but there's still an underlying hatred of us and a belief that killing Americans will bring him glory in the afterlife. No, he's prepared to die which is exactly why he should live.

Posted by: Beth in StL at April 14, 2006 9:32 AM

Although I seem to be in the minority here, I'll step out on a limb and say that I'm a supporter of the death penalty. Not as a general rule, but for cold blooded murderers and serial killers, yes.

But this guy would be proud to die. It's what he wants. It's his ultimate goal, to die for his cause. The death penalty in this case would give him his wish. A far worse punishment would be life in prison. Maybe in solitary confinement.

On September 11, I watched the towers fall while holding my 6 week old son. My husband had called me from work and told me to turn on the television. I've never seen or felt anything more awful in my entire lifetime. There really is no punishment great enough for those who were responsible.

Posted by: Alissa at April 14, 2006 9:37 AM

Solitary for the rest of his life, with occasional respites in a cell full of hung, white supremacists.

At least they're good for something.

Posted by: marie b. at April 14, 2006 9:42 AM

I think...rotting in prison is the way to go here.

Seriously, death is what these people long for.

Dolce Et Decorum est.

And all that horseshit. Not to mention the promised 1000 virgins awaiting him.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at April 14, 2006 9:45 AM

I have no problem with the death penalty. I think it needs to be used on a case by case basis. In this case I am up in the air. Killing him makes him a martyr. I don't like that. But keeping him alive gives him an advantage later on. People's scars will heal over time from 9-11 and the other aspects of his crimes. I can see in 10 to 15 years he will be writing a book and taping speeches for graduation day at Yale or Harvard. He will become the next Mumia. And then he will become the latest celebrity cause of....(I am trying to think of a child actor here that will be a future politico....ahh got it.) Haley Jole Osment. He will be making more money from his speeches and books than most of the firemen or cops who died at the WTC would have made in a lifetime.

And That I do not think I could stomach.

If he is to be stay in Jail it should be with no outside contact ever.

Sorry I usually try to be upbeat and funny but this struck a nerve.

Posted by: Bill at April 14, 2006 9:49 AM

Yep, I concur--spend the rest of his miserable life in prison. Although I am betting that he will probably be sentenced to death--considering this is the worst crime on American soil and he is the only one we are able to hold responsible right now.

Posted by: Liz at April 14, 2006 9:52 AM

I completely agree...letting him sit and rot in the worst prison we have in this country is the best thing that jury and judge could do in this case. I was extremely disgusted with the fact he thinks the President will pardon him. Now that is one thing I'm pretty dang certain Bush won't do.

Posted by: christina at April 14, 2006 9:53 AM

Usually, I am emphatically anti-death penalty, for the very reasons that you gave.

This guy, though... I'm having trouble sticking to my convictions. I just don't want to share the planet with him, even though I know what that makes me.

Posted by: Julie at April 14, 2006 10:04 AM

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that I am anti death penalty. Killing this man won't bring anyone who died on 9/11 back, and it will do nothing to prevent future terrorist attacks.

I also firmly believe that it would be much more effective to take away Mr. Moussaoui's audience and his chance at martyrdom. Tuck him away in obsurity for the rest of his life.

Posted by: bad penguin at April 14, 2006 10:08 AM

While I've favored the death penalty before, I think in this particular case, giving Moussaoui what he wants is not in the best interest of those who died on 9/11 or those who are left remembering what happened.

During some casual conversation in the office yesterday, we had discussed him staying in prison for the rest of his 'natural' life. While that's a good idea, and more than likely what should happen, I personally feel that the current prison system is a bit too 'cushy' for someone who's admittedly had a hand in the death of thousands of people - and rejoices in it.

There are things that are patently offensive to this man - things that are plausible, not even 'abusive' bout would make him so absolutely miserable for the rest of his days - that perhaps they should be considered. Pig farming rings a bell.

I think once the jury hands down a verdict, that should be it. He should be locked away in his cell (on a pig farm?) and that should be the last we hear of him. He does not need to have any more public spotlight. He is not a martyr, he is a monster.

But that's just my opinion.

Posted by: Kellie at April 14, 2006 10:24 AM

As much as some people deserve to die, I can't believe in the death penalty. I can't imagine Jesus sticking a needle into anyone's arm or throwing the switch to the electric chair, and so I can't support a death penalty. And truly, for people like Moussaoui, living a long life tucked behind bars is the best punishment for him. I just hope, if he lives, that his contact with the outside world is monitored so he can't become a guru for fundamentalists.

Posted by: samantha at April 14, 2006 10:28 AM

He wants to die a martyr. Being put to death by America is exactly what he wants.

Stick him in jail for a long time and separate him from his martyrdom as long as possible. Perhaps he will figure it out at some point. Perhaps not, but we don't need to help him in his journey towards his flase ideas of martyrdom.

Posted by: meghan at April 14, 2006 10:28 AM

No problem. I'll do it. Hand the needle to me.

Posted by: Pammer at April 14, 2006 10:32 AM

I'm from Texas, so of course I'm a strong supporter of the death penalty, but on this one I am torn. I like the idea of him chipping large rocks to small rocks everyday until his days are over and that would make me happy.

I was working at The White House that day. I dont think I have ever experienced more fear or panic than what I felt and saw that day. My family here in Texas were all screaming and crying at the TV because of early reports saying that The Old Executive Office Building was hit. I want justice, I want revenge. I am also a Christian, and I think that if he has to pay with his life, let him...he will burn in hell forever reliving the sins he has commited.

Posted by: Nik at April 14, 2006 10:33 AM

seriously, good post.

I remember everything about that day. What I was wearing, what we first heard, what we saw. It's very strange.

I offer the same punishment I offer my mother, put them in the nursing home, drugged to the gils, put in one of those wheelchairs with the table attached, butt naked sitting on a diaper pad. Just for fun every friday someone comes in and paints your nails bright red and dyes and fluffs your hair bright blue or purple or sort of greenish...whatever the grey rinse in color of the week is.... And then you are spoon fed pureed something...no we don't know what, but it's nutricious!!!! Oh and for the girls, no bras. No way, let them babies hang to your waist.

Posted by: speckledpup at April 14, 2006 10:50 AM

This is exactly one of the few cases I think the death penalty should be for. We like to imagine that he will suffer in prison but the truth is that he will be a hero to many people there, he will spread his hatred to others. We like to pretend that a long prison term will eventually make him see the error of his ways but the truth is that revolutionary change in a human being while incarcerated is as rare as a pedophile being cured.
I think he should be cut out of the human race like the cancer that he is.

Posted by: That Girl at April 14, 2006 10:52 AM

Let him rot in solitary. He wants to be a martyr. I believe that all the 9/11 hijackers and accomplices did or do. If we do let him live... we should insure that he is not allowed to write letters or interact with other prisoners. He could become a hero for the "resistance" inside prison which is why he should never be allowed access to so much as a pen and paper while he's in jail. If he wants to die, Execution will be giving him what he wants... why should we?

Posted by: Kara at April 14, 2006 10:54 AM

I think the death penalty would be appropriate in this case for sure. Then again, I would also think him getting ass raped for the rest of his life in jail would be appropriate as well. And I wouldn't be suprised if he got killed in jail by another inmate. I don't think those guys want to have to live with him either.

I also cant help but think that even though he thinks he wants to die and be a martyr, that when it really comes down to it, he would be scared to death...no pun intended.

At this point for me, anything that puts an end to us having to listen to any more of his inflamatory bullshit is fine with me.

Posted by: Pinky at April 14, 2006 11:21 AM

I, too, consider the death penalty on a case by case basis. I think there are certainly people who have lost their right to share the planet, and he is one of them. I prefer the giant catapult approach-- just fling them out into orbit.

However, there are other issues at play here. The first being that turning him into another martyr for their cause is-- while there were others before and will be others after-- still another martyr for the cause. Not a list we should be adding to. Though, I can't understand that mindset, so perhaps that's what they want us to think, and really by not killing him, we're showing we are weak and should be attacked. Or else we are denying him his holy death and therefore even more infidel-ish.

The other issue I'm concerned about is something I read on Slate a few weeks ago, which I haven't seen other coverage of, and so don't have as much background on it as I would like. Based on that, though, it seemed that based on lack of evidence, the US had changed the prosecution's case from 'he took these actions to bring about these attacks' to 'he knew things and didn't warn us'. From a sin of commission, as it were, to a sin of omission. If you don't stop to help someone who's bleeding to death, are you partially responsible? Yes. If you had information that if properly interpreted and implemented by multiple government agencies might have stopped people from dying? Maybe. It's everything that happens after that second "if" that makes it a lot less clear-cut.

Do I think the attacks were terrible, senseless waste of human life? Yes. Do I think he was a conspirator? Yes. Do I think he's a sick fuck who doesn't deserve to breathe our air? Yes. Do I think it's a really frighteningly slippery slope we're on? Yes.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at April 14, 2006 11:26 AM

The morning of September 11, we were packing our bags for New York...a family wedding in Oyster Bay. My BIL and his wife/family were due to fly out that afternoon for the same event. I remember thinking--in those moments before we really knew what was going on--that fact is truly stranger and more terrifying than anything in our imagination.

Moussaoui seems to vacillate between acting in his best interests of staying live and then taunting us to make him a martyr. In my opinion he is not a religious person following the edicts of his faith...he is a sociopath. The only reason I would not object to putting him to death is due to a visceral reaction over his glee at the suffereing of others. Our justice system seems incapable of locking away people like this guy FOREVER without somehow paying for his cable tv, multiple appeals, and continued education. My indifference with the death penalty stems from our wishy-washy approach to LIFE IN PRISON. Life in prison is a joke here, because if you're a good boy/girl, you might still get to leave. Even if you don't you're allowed access to more food/resources than any poor/homeless person in this country. That's the real Schadenfreude to me.

It's hard not to personalize what this assbag did. Even if we decided to shut him away someplace and spare his life, his glee over victims' grief makes me want to take the guy's head off. What if that had been my husband and kids on one of those planes? Or your wife and Mia? To see this sack of shit smirk over their terror and pain brings to the fore only the most basic of human instincts.

I see the problem here and I just can't seem to walk away from the idea that Moussaoui needs to be removed from the human community as quickly as possible.

Posted by: wordgirl at April 14, 2006 11:54 AM

Re: Jon from Michigan’s last paragraph – well said.

When you think about it, in this guy's mind he must be a bit of a failure since he didn't really finish his mission. Why give him the satisfaction of dying a martyr? He was prepared to die for his “cause” on 9/11; he’s certainly prepared now. I don’t believe in the death penalty in general, but especially for anyone who wants it – certainly isn’t much of a punishment if it’s what they’re looking for.

Instead of the death penalty, I think he should spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement with NO hope of parole EVER – no matter what laws change, etc. He should not be permitted to take classes, communicate with anyone inside or outside of the prison, write a book or a letter, or do any exercise other than walking around the prison yard. Alone. Let him get up in the morning, pray, eat and then sit in his cell all day. Lather, rinse repeat. For the rest of his life.

And, since he enjoyed seeing and mocking the grief of the family and friends of 9/11 victims, perhaps he should be forced to watch home movies and look at photographs of the people who escaped the WTC & Pentagon and lived. Five years later and while our lives have been changed and we certainly have not forgotten what happened (and never will), he and his fellow terrorists have not broken us as a nation. What could be more painful for him than to see them living their lives and happy?

I hope that the jury sees through his act.

Posted by: erin at April 14, 2006 12:05 PM

I am anti-death penalty as well-- mostly because I don't think we should empower the government to kill its citizens.

The fact that he is not one of our citizens does not change my position, though.

Posted by: jen at April 14, 2006 12:31 PM

Someone like him didn't deserve to live in the first place, but rewarding him with martyrdom by putting him to death makes no sense. Send him to the slammer.

Posted by: Casey at April 14, 2006 12:45 PM

What do I think should happen to him? Other than having a pork salami shoved up his ass while he is slowly tortured to death by crude castration?

Oh, wait. I'm a pacifist. Ahem.

I wonder if it is natural to seek bloody vengeance. This guy didn't actually do anything, after all, regardless of how much he might have thought he wanted to. Will he become the sacrificial lamb we want and need? That would be sad, too, and elevate him beyond what he deserves.

No, actually, I'm thinking dank, ugly, pounding-in-the-ass prison, for the rest of his life. Welcome to this lovely side of American culture! Enjoy!

Posted by: bhd at April 14, 2006 1:46 PM

I'm so torn about the death penalty. Sometimes I think people who commit these cruel acts deserve to be put to death, if anyone does. And yet, I agree with you. Why give him what he wants? He should grow old in prison with no possibility of parole and spend the next umpteen million years all alone in his "martyrdom".

Posted by: Laura at April 14, 2006 1:55 PM

I am anti violence and anti the death penalty. And I agree that he wants to be put to death. It is a way easier thing for him, especially since he believes the hate he is spewing.

However having said all that, it's a little more personal for me. Maybe for a lot of us. It's almost too emotional an issue for people to think clearly on it. My dads cousin had his entire business in the second tower. He was late for work that day, because his kids nanny was sick, so he took his girls to school. He was in the subway when the planes hit. He should have been there that day, but he wasn't. And he's here, but he lost a ton of friends. And he's never been the same. And that hateful monster is one of the causes. At the same time, isn't putting him to death seen as a wonderous thing in his society?

Moussaoui shouldn't get what he wants, an easy way out. But I don't know that I can say what he deserves. I just hope his Karma comes back to him.

Posted by: Melissa at April 14, 2006 1:56 PM

I agree with Lauren - he should definitely Bubba's bitch.

Posted by: Marie at April 14, 2006 2:44 PM

I agree with you and, from what I can tell, the majority of the commentors. The death penalty is wrong, wrong, wrong. It's wrong in this case and it's wrong in every other case, too.

That's all I have to say about that.

And, I think your post is poignant for a Good Friday.

Posted by: Ms. Q at April 14, 2006 2:47 PM

My thoughts on Moussaoui are that he is trying to take "credit" for the attacks, as if it is something you want to take credit for.

But I just can't shake the feeling that he probably wasn't really *that* involved. Like maybe he was the guy that picked up the dry cleaning for the actual terrorists. He just wants the credit.

Which I don't understand.

Plus, I'm sure he's just a little bit crazy.

Posted by: Isabel at April 14, 2006 4:25 PM

Okay...it's settled. Things are too serious here and you're tagged.

When and if you're ready, drop by and read "Six Things" for the details.

Posted by: Izzy at April 14, 2006 5:51 PM

Damn that "handy" feature that fills in forms for you. Go to my NEW address.

Posted by: Izzy at April 14, 2006 5:53 PM

You know, I think he'd get more pain in prison.

Posted by: Lisa B at April 15, 2006 12:25 AM

All I can do is think about how I was in school (my senior year of high school) and just watched TV during band class, called my mom crying, and skipped band practice because I just wanted to go home.

He should pay for making me - making us ALL - have that feeling.

Posted by: Stephanie at April 15, 2006 12:28 AM

I was an RA in college. One of the girls on my floor had a brother, her father, and uncle died that day. The all worked in the towers.

I held her as she cried. I felt every tear and I cried with her. I held her tight until her mom picked her up two days later. I never left her side. I took her to see the school counselors and I tried to offer her some comfort.

Months later she told me that the only thing she can actually remember from those days is the way I held her and let her cried. Nothing else needed to be said by me.

I do not support killing anyone. I just hope that people would actually get that trying to get even only causes more and more problems.

What should happen to him? I say send him to TEXAS***. Let Texas deal with him and we know how. Later on study his brain.

***I do really love TEXAS

Posted by: Katehrine at April 15, 2006 1:29 AM

***I do really love TEXAS

Posted by: Katherine at April 15, 2006 1:29 AM

I was on my way to work that morning when the first plane hit. Thinking what an awful tragedy it was. Then the second plane hit and it became apparent that it wasn't an accident and that we (and by 'we', I mean all Americans, everywhere) were under attack.

What upsets me now is that he's still promoting his agenda with the aid of our media. Shut him down and never report another word he says.

As to whether he should die or not, I'll leave that up to the judge and jury. That's how it works here in America.

Posted by: Contrary at April 15, 2006 8:45 AM

Hmmm... I'm thinking a nice dark dungeon, hang him on the wall in shackles, feed him just enough to keep him alive. That ought to do it. Of course, that won't happen. Solitary confinement for live would be great though.

The scary part is how many more of this guy are still out there plotting.

Not exactly a Happy Easter type comment, but ... Happy Easter to you, Mia and Beth

Posted by: Kris at April 15, 2006 8:48 AM

Death penalty? No, not for him. Death would only bring him honor. Life in prison without parole. Consecutive life terms for each person killed on that day would make me happy. Of course, once the other inmate found out who he was he probably would live long anyway.

Those days were horrifying for me. I'm a military spouse. I would come home from work and wait and wait and wait. Would my husband be coming home that day. Would I be hearing explosions from the direction of the base? He had bomb threats on his building twice the first week. I was terrified and so were the children. It was so strange not seeing the contrails through the sky, being instructed to not drive the same route to work every day because my auto with the base registration sticker is an easy target, and various other modifications we had to make to our lifestyle.

We still do these things. Now I'm not so sure it's to protect us from foreign threats but threats from our own people who don't agree with our lifestyle (military) choice.

Posted by: Deb at April 15, 2006 9:02 AM

This probably isn't a very popular opinion, but I'd rather see him put to death. That way, he can no longer spew his poisonous rants to possibly impressionable (and sick) minds in and out of prison. Also I, as a taxpayer, won't have to pay for him to have three square meals a day when there are much more productive uses for my tax dollars.

Posted by: at April 15, 2006 12:45 PM

Posted by: mooalex at April 15, 2006 12:45 PM

I wasn't directly effected by September 11th yet remember experiencing depression and nightmares for a good month afterward. But, I haven't been a supporter of the death penalty in many years for numerous reasons, the most basic being that I don't feel violence is a good punishment for violence.

Posted by: wendy at April 15, 2006 7:58 PM

sometimes i just think of all the children and babies in isreal, iraq and palestine, and wanna cry 'cos they'll have absolutely no future, no chance and real life. to them, everyday is hell and i wish i could save them all. it makes me really sad. none of them asked for this.

Posted by: Aurelia at April 15, 2006 11:33 PM

i too think that condemming this man to death is giving him exactly what he wants -to die a martyr. the death penalty is a pretty useless tool in general, but in this case, it would only serve Moussaoui's purpose rather than be any kind of punishment...

Posted by: suze at April 17, 2006 9:33 AM

If you kill him, he becomes a martyr, achieves what he aimed for in life and will be worshipped in his fellow community as a success. They will once again tell themselves that they were right to hate this country and the hatred intensifies.

If you dont kill him, things stay the same. He does not achieve his dream. He is not hailed as a hero back at home. The hate continues at the earlier rate.

The death penalty decision would feed add fuel to the fire. Its your choice.

Posted by: Dee at April 17, 2006 11:49 AM