April 13, 2006

Seven Thursday Truths

Truth #1: No matter how hard you stare at a monitor - even if you have two - you absitively* cannot will a witty, heartfelt and utterly brilliant post into life.

Truth #2: If you're twelve, like me, you'll laugh whenever you type "#2".

Truth #3: Despite the fact that Thursday is the new Friday (at least in my little world on this particular week), you will be no more enthused to be here than if it were, say, a Tuesday.

Truth #4: If email is to be believed, corporate culture dictates capitalization of common everyday nouns as if they've suddenly been deemed proprietary. I was so informed by my Computer, sitting here in my Office while gazing out my Window.

Truth #5: At one time or another, you will be blamed for the mistakes of incompetents. Voodoo provides a healthy outlet for dealing with such individuals and may lead to their eventual transformation into a chicken.

Truth #6: The fact that The Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star" pops up first in a random iPod shuffle can never be positive. In fact, you must question your own sanity once discovering that this song exists in any form in your collection. Further, you must examine the very fabric of your musical being when you realize that you own not one Buggles album, but both.

Truth #7: There is not enough coffee in the world for days like this.

* yes, that's a new word...like it?

Posted by Chris at April 13, 2006 7:29 AM
Comments

Love the new word, may I use it at will?

Vodoo is the new/reincarnated black!

Posted by: Wicked H at April 13, 2006 7:54 AM

Like it?

Posilutely!

Posted by: Kellie at April 13, 2006 7:54 AM

Video Killed the Radio Star is the very first song I remember knowing all the words too. After that it wa s the Bay City Rollers for a while. S-A-T-U-R-DAY NIGHT!

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at April 13, 2006 8:12 AM

Ever have one of those mornings where no matter how hard you stare at the moniter to read your favorite sites... NOTHING is getting into the ole cerebral cortex...
Welcome to the rest of my day-

Posted by: Stephanie at April 13, 2006 8:17 AM

Thursday is also my Friday today, but unfortunately it doesn't end until 9PM tonight. My Frursday* SUX!!

*How about that for a new word!

Posted by: Michelle at April 13, 2006 8:23 AM

Truth #1 - I did not know it was the Buggles who sang that song.

Truth #2 - I'm intrigued that they had more than one album.

Question #1 - Will you hate me if I now have to look them up on MusicMatch? I'm dying to know what other nuggets of wisdom they recorded.

Posted by: Meredith at April 13, 2006 8:32 AM

I am apparently 12, just like you. I hope the day goes quickly for you so that your work week is over, because it sounds like you need it.

Posted by: Jessie at April 13, 2006 8:33 AM

I often make up my own words. I find a great deal of satisfaction when they "click." It seems to be a sort of individual epiphaniacal event when one realizes that, at least for you, the English language is inadequate.

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at April 13, 2006 8:37 AM

Hmmm, voodoo. Interesting idea. Maybe that's what I need to do to get the info I need to finish my financial statements!

And I'm in full agreement on Truth #7.

Posted by: Beth in StL at April 13, 2006 8:56 AM

I like your "new" word but it's not new - just recycled. Wait long enough - something will come back into fashion.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at April 13, 2006 8:57 AM

I wish today was my Frursday. But hee, #2. That's always good for a laugh.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 13, 2006 8:58 AM

...like it?

Absitively! I plan to use it often today.

Posilutely is pretty cool, too. Thanks.

Posted by: Allan at April 13, 2006 9:16 AM

Be careful with that voodoo stuff. The karma could be a bitch! lol

Posted by: Red at April 13, 2006 9:23 AM

Be careful with that voodoo stuff. The karma could be a bitch! lol

Posted by: Red at April 13, 2006 9:23 AM

Believe me, I've felt Truth #1 all week...

Posted by: amber at April 13, 2006 9:25 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but "absitively" (and its younger brother "absotively") are already in circulation.

I'll let you slide with 'posolutely' though. :)

Posted by: don at April 13, 2006 9:35 AM

"* yes, that's a new word...like it?"

Nope, sorry RC, it isn't. I've not only seen it before, but have used it myself occasionally.

Sorry to burst the bubble, and I know the above revelation must shock and hurt you greatly, but someone had to tell you. *

Agree with all the others though.

My internet system has been down, and my email is still down. This does not feel like a Thursday. This feels like a Monday. In fact, every day this week (including Monday itself, ironically enough) has felt like a Monday. It's just been that kind o' week.

But I'm not at work tomorrow, so, who cares?
;-)

* This, of course, holds no shocking value at all if anybody else has mentioned this.

As I would know if I could be bothered to scroll back up and read the other comments...

Did it. Damn. Ah well. I'll press 'Post' anyway.

Posted by: Alice at April 13, 2006 9:45 AM

I've been reading your blog for a while, let's say three months, but yet I have never commented anything.

Now, reading this spot, I can't understand a single sentence you're saying. Is this some kind of English that non-native speaker like me can't get?

This is so spooky. I have no idea what was it about, it's like reading original Shakespeare (no offence :)) after first English lesson.

I'd beg for some easy-to-get spot for people like me, living in the middle of nowhere, in country you've never heard about. Or I'll have to claim my CAE certificate and five years of English education. :)

Posted by: Alex at April 13, 2006 9:45 AM

You rip one 80's complilation cd, and voila! "Video Killed the Radio Star". It happpens.

Posted by: Sarah at April 13, 2006 9:54 AM

why turn them to chickens when you can turn them into something even more unpleasant like snakes. or spiders. i really hate spiders. ;)

Posted by: suze at April 13, 2006 9:58 AM

TGIT.

Posted by: Bill at April 13, 2006 9:59 AM

Dude, #2 is SO funny and that does totally not make you immature. We were watching "Funniest Live TV Moments" on NBC one day, and one of the clips was about the news anchor talking about doughnuts, and that during the break she was "going for number 2!" (get it? doughnut number 2? #2? hilarity, yes?) oh well...enough for now...

Posted by: andy at April 13, 2006 10:05 AM

Why don't you enrich our minds with a new word of the day everyday?

Posted by: Sabrina at April 13, 2006 10:08 AM

Ok the kids are distracting me by crawling between my feet here as I type. And the screaming and laughing is making it hard for me to make sense. That looks absolutely stupid what I wrote above.

Why not enrich our minds with a new word everyday?? I feel better now.

Posted by: Sabrina at April 13, 2006 10:11 AM

I see that some of my comment predecessors have clued you in to the existence of "absotively" (yes, with an O) and the fact that you did not make the word up.

I did. ;-)

Posted by: Alison at April 13, 2006 10:16 AM

Voodoo, eh? I'll have to look into that.

And when you're on a quest to own all of the music, you're going to end up with a few albums of shame. There's no avoiding it. I don't think I own Video Killed the Radio Star, but I do seem to know all the words.

Posted by: bad penguin at April 13, 2006 10:25 AM

Am I the only dork that thinks it's a little groovy that "Video Killed the Radio Star" came up first on your iPod because it was the first video played on MTV (back when they, ya know, actually played videos)?

Any thing to amuse me on this VEEERRRRYYYYY long Thursday.

Posted by: Pammer at April 13, 2006 10:25 AM

Can you please share with the world where we could get our hands on said voodoo doll? I think I could find many uses for one around my office.

Posted by: Liz at April 13, 2006 11:07 AM

The Buggles had more than one album?

And now I've got that song stuck in my head! Damn you!

Posted by: Jen at April 13, 2006 11:18 AM

I have a crush on the German language for a few reasons, but one major one is the random capitalization of Nouns.

Posted by: Leah at April 13, 2006 12:39 PM

Word. I mean, I haven't even had coffee yet and it's almost 1:00pm. Maybe that's a sign I should get some. But today should be over for a number of reasons, the least of which is everyone on campus is at work while the students enjoy a four-day weekend.

Grumble, grumble.

Posted by: Rhonda at April 13, 2006 12:43 PM

"In my mind and in my car, we country winos've gone too far." What? Those aren't the words? Since that's what we thought they were when I was 12, I suppose it's a good thing we had NO IDEA they made more than the one album!
On a related note, my son likes the track "Clean Clean". Should I worry?
Peace on a Friday-like Thursday!

Posted by: Lilymane at April 13, 2006 1:31 PM

This is the spring of our discontent, Chris.

Do you ever feel guilty feeling this way when everything at home is so great?

I know I do.

Guilt likes to feed on itself.

Posted by: melati at April 13, 2006 1:45 PM

I actually heard "Video Killed the Radio Star" on mine this morning too. But mine came not from a Buggles CD but from the soundtrack for Empire Records.

Posted by: Melissa at April 13, 2006 1:52 PM

Truth #1 -- IT Happens To The Best Of Us!!
Ha, ha, I've started capitalizing everything now.

Posted by: chantel at April 13, 2006 1:54 PM

Absitively runs along the same lines as Fantabulous!

Posted by: molly at April 13, 2006 3:11 PM

I have nothing witty to add. I just really liked this post....

Posted by: Lisa B at April 13, 2006 5:21 PM

Gah! How have I not found you before? Not just because you're Beth's husband but cuz you're funny! The whole Capitalize whatever the Fuck you feel like It thing really bugs Me, too. Grr.

Posted by: mrsfortune at April 13, 2006 5:55 PM

nothing to cool about my blog, but reading yours inspired me to start my own. As the days go, I guess it will get much better. I am a blog rookie! check it out http://masitaparadise.blogspot.com/

By the way, MIa is just adorable!

Posted by: Katehrine at April 13, 2006 7:15 PM

#2 is funny.

Sperm Whale. Tee hee.

Posted by: DebbieDoesLife at April 13, 2006 7:27 PM

that's funny, it's in on my iPod too... and i DON'T REMEMBER PUTTING IT THERE!!

Posted by: jodi at April 13, 2006 7:49 PM

Buggles?
I'm afraid I can't be your friend anymore.

Posted by: s@bd at April 13, 2006 11:14 PM

I didn't work today! NEENER NEENER NEEEEEEENER!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at April 14, 2006 12:34 AM

LOL
Well thank Gawd it's Friday is all I have to say!
;-)

And Thursdays alway feel like Friday to me, I swear.
I always have to check the calendar.
I need to get a job again. LOL
That's the only way I kept track of my days.
haha

Happy Friday

Posted by: Bonita in Pink at April 14, 2006 12:48 AM

Personally, on days when the witty, heartfelt and utterly brilliant opus of a post won't come, I find being tagged with a goofy meme to be a welcome OUT! I have one sitting here, waiting to be flung at someone. Just let me know...

Posted by: Izzy at April 14, 2006 1:04 PM