April 10, 2006

Sixteen Years Later

If you'd known me sixteen years ago, you would have known Scott. Whether in school, playing countless games of racquetball, or listening to any music we could get our hands on, I really find it hard to recall a time we weren't together. It was easy to find us on summer evenings - we were in the car, cruising the back roads of Virginia, then-girlfriends in the backseat, with the stereo blaring something loud - it could have easily been ancient Whitesnake (the pre-chick writhing on a car hood days, thank you very much), Iron Maiden, Queensryche or The Police, Genesis or Pink Floyd. We were silly. And eclectic.

Eventually, Scott moved but we never lost touch. For the past fifteen years or so, we've generated hundreds of megs worth of email, tried to see each other when we're in the same state (or country) and kept each others music collections current. Scott attended our wedding and, there, met his wife, one of Beth's oldest friends. I'm terrible about keeping in touch, so I think that we've actually done remarkably well.

Saturday night found the seven of us in the same room once again. And I say seven because our families have grown. Scott and Julie have a son and a daughter now. We, of course, have Mia.

If there's a point to this, beyond expressing how wonderful it was to be together, it's that time is absolutely bewildering to me. Sixteen years ago, two of us were listening to bad heavy metal, sneaking cigarettes out bedroom windows and cracking ourselves up more than any two sane people should. Now, look at us. We're married, with real jobs requiring lots of education. We've got three of the most adorable kids to ever walk (or crawl, or just roll around) the planet. Could we, as sixteen or seventeen year old kids, have ever seen this coming? I doubt it. I consider myself lucky that life has turned out the way it has. And that I have such a wonderful family and friends to share it with.

The rest of the weekend? Tiring. Have I mentioned that Mia has six teeth coming in? She does. And she's not happy about it. Sleep was something of a challenge this weekend. She did the vast majority of it on me, in a chair, in our office. Thank god for iTunes - downloaded episodes of SVU and The Office kept me entertained. Most importantly, however, was the fact that Mia crawled last night. Sure, she kinda did it earlier in the week but last night was a full-fledged pack-a-bag-cos-I'm-outta-here crawl. She might not sleep, but goddamn is she cute.

So, there you have it - a weekend chock-full of all sorts of important shit. It doesn't get much better than that, my friends.

Posted by Chris at April 10, 2006 7:34 AM
Comments

Mobile Mia. Let the games begin!

Posted by: Wicked H at April 10, 2006 7:51 AM

How great that you guys have such wonderful close friends from that time in your lives!

So sorry about the teething-- that is SO hard-- but the crawling is stupendous!

Posted by: jen at April 10, 2006 7:58 AM

they're designed cute for a reason you know. :D

i'm glad that you and your friend have made efforts to stay in touch. new friendships are great but man, there's nothing like sitting around with someone who's known you since before you got all grown-up. it grounds you i think.

Posted by: patricia at April 10, 2006 8:00 AM

I can see my friends anytime I want. Just as long as it coincides with the visiting hours at the state prison!

Posted by: Jeff A at April 10, 2006 8:01 AM

Oooh, official crawling. Wait til you see just how fast she can move once she gets some practice in. You'll be even more amazed! I swear, sometimes my boys could crawl faster than I could run.

Friendships like that are awesome, and not so common. It seems most folks are content to just move on rather than make the effort.

Posted by: Alissa at April 10, 2006 8:05 AM

oh man...your poor cat.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at April 10, 2006 8:13 AM

Official crawling is very cool. Time to put up the gates.

Old friends are the best. Especially when, even if you have not seen them for a long time, when you do see them and it feels like no time has past.

Posted by: Bill at April 10, 2006 8:19 AM

funny how...friends, crawling and weekends spent with your daughter while she's teething....REALLY ARE the most important things in life. I also never would have believed 16 years ago that this type of post would have brought a smile to my face but it did...because I can relate (ok, not with the crawling or teething part...but the other parts, yes)

Hope you get some respite tonight!

Posted by: wn at April 10, 2006 8:48 AM

My PD grew up in Va. and lost touch with his best friend, coincidentally named Scott. I often wish he would make the effort to locate him. You're lucky, your wives will make that connection stick even better. I'm still best friends with my first grade best friend. That is too precious for words, you know?
Go Mia, go. Just very slowly, baby. ;-)

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at April 10, 2006 8:53 AM

What a great weekend. She'll be on her feet before you know it. Enjoy it; the time goes by quickly. Turn around twice and you're looking at a beautiful teenager and saying "when did that happen".

Posted by: ann adams at April 10, 2006 8:54 AM

Do you friends do such silly things as put baby girl stockings on their heads? If so - I would think they are keepers ;) Friends like that are great though - I'd rather have 3 close friends that I've know for years than 50 aquentices!

Posted by: Michelle at April 10, 2006 8:59 AM

Woohoo! Crawling! You are now both really in for it. Good luck!

Posted by: Jessie at April 10, 2006 9:11 AM

Crawled, go Mia !
I loved reading this entry. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: jenn at April 10, 2006 9:13 AM

heehee. she's mobile. pixel beware!

oh the places she'll go - you and beth may never be able to sit still again...

Posted by: suze at April 10, 2006 9:15 AM

I've noticed that lately when I've gotten together with old friends all I can think about is how lucky we all are to be where we are in our lives. It's nice to be reminded of that once in a while, isn't it?

Crawl, Mia, crawl! Hope the teething is over soon - that can't be fun for anyone.

Posted by: Beth in StL at April 10, 2006 9:18 AM

Wait a minute...you made the girls sit together in the backseat?! :) Doesn't it just bowl you over sometimes how lovely and amazing one's life can turn out? Sounds like a wonderful time with your friends. As for your haiku...I say, probably truer than you'd like to admit. ;)

Posted by: Marilyn at April 10, 2006 10:07 AM

Life is cool that way.

Posted by: Alison at April 10, 2006 10:33 AM

I can't believe either one of you ever got married, making your girlfriends ride in the back seat like you did.

(And "Guilty of Love" is my favorite Whitesnake song.)

Posted by: kalisah at April 10, 2006 10:36 AM

She's crawling AND teething? No more leaving your guitar or anything elese on the floor.

Posted by: oakley at April 10, 2006 11:07 AM

It is nice having friends from "before" who you can still share your lives with.

And the crawling? That's great! Get ready for a whole new world of babyproofing, though.

The teething? Lots of sympathy. Sleep when you can.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at April 10, 2006 11:32 AM

That's the thing about life... it sneaks up on you.

Yay, Mia! Welcome to the mobile world!

Posted by: Noelle at April 10, 2006 12:06 PM

Even at 22, there are only two people I still see from high school, really, with whom I don't have some other sort of connection. (The people who go to my church don't count; we never see each other on purpose, and weren't that close in the first place.) That's a very special thing. Congrats :)
Also - same goes on the Mobile Mia. Good luck with that! ;)

Posted by: Heather at April 10, 2006 12:42 PM

yep. BestFriendWendy (from college) and I often have those "remember when?" conversations and it always ends the same way:

"How the hell are we still ALIVE today after all the shit we pulled?"

Posted by: Pammer at April 10, 2006 12:49 PM

Getting together with old friends is one of the most awesome things EVER.

Getting 6 new teeth is not so awesome.

Posted by: Isabel at April 10, 2006 1:05 PM

Seeing old friend is great. Too bad on the teeth all at once. Both my kids did the same thing. If they were going to get one, they were really going to get five or six. Nata got in four new ones in the two weeks around Christmas. Not a fun holiday, let me tell you. Hope Mia's cut through soon. And yea for crawling.

Posted by: Melissa at April 10, 2006 1:44 PM

What a fun weekend! You've got me beat. We planted 36 plants.

(And played with our new XBox 360 and Nintendo DS. It can't be all work, no play.)

Posted by: Emily at April 10, 2006 1:53 PM

Cool on the crawling. Way to go Mia!!
And old friends are the best kind. But sometimes that comes back to bite you when your best friend of 24 years reminds you that yes, you did indeed pole dance once in your life. Just when you thought those memories you fought so hard to forget were safe....

Posted by: Traci at April 10, 2006 1:55 PM

good post, old true friends are hard to come by. My wife always makes fun of me because I am fairly good at keeping in contact with my friends, however I dont think I would be as good at keeping in touch if it werent for email and the Internet. Plus its always fun to catch up on old times and I just find it fascinating to see where everyone ended up in life (jobs, married, kids etc.).

Watch out now Mia is on the loose!

Posted by: E at April 10, 2006 4:10 PM

Watch out world, she has "wheels"!!

Posted by: Kristen at April 10, 2006 4:52 PM

That sounds like an AMAZING weekend! And "Woohoo!" on Mia learning to crawl!

Posted by: Kristina at April 10, 2006 7:23 PM

Now you get to start babyproofing. I always wondered exactly what that would entail. I picture pretty much just covering everything in the house in foam rubber and packing away the breakables. Or perhaps you suspend everything valuable from the ceiling. :o)

Posted by: TB at April 10, 2006 7:26 PM

Don't you love life? It is amazing how it twists and turns in ways that we never expect and could not possibly imagine for ourselves.

When I think back on the person I was sixteen years ago, I feel slight nostalgia before I remember that I went to a concert where Public Enemy opened for Debbie Gibson ... and I was there to see Debbie Gibson. Shameful.

It is only in my slightly older age that I recognize how much more profound a song "Fight the Power" is than "Electric Youth."

Ah, to be sixteen again. But then we would not have our beautiful adult lives.

Thanks for this reminder of how amazing it is to make a full cellular turnover in just a little over a decade.

Posted by: Amanda Marlaena at April 11, 2006 2:15 AM

Ah, to be sixteen again. But then we would not have our beautiful adult lives.

Posted by: Amanda Marlaena at April 11, 2006 2:15 AM

Ah, to be sixteen again. But then we would not have our beautiful adult lives.

Posted by: Amanda Marlaena at April 11, 2006 2:15 AM

That sounds wonderful. It sounds like you have great friends.

And congrats on the crawling! You're in for it now.

Posted by: the weirdgirl at April 11, 2006 5:40 PM

How great is it to have friends like that? My three closest friends from high school and I are still in daily contact, eventhough we live in four different countries! My dream would be for us to all meet one day, with husbands and children, just like you did last weekend. But that will still take a while...

Posted by: Catharina at April 12, 2006 11:50 AM