May 22, 2006

Another In A Long String Of Weekend Recaps

I worked from home on Friday, which gave me the chance to ease into the weekend...not to mention working in my PJs. We had a nice Friday night and actually watched a movie. You don't understand. This is maybe the third actual movie we've watched in the last ten months. And the last one was just last week. In case you're wondering, it was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Azkabani Prisoners' Chamber Pots. Or something. They all run together for me.

Saturday? Decidedly less relaxed but for very good reasons. Playing with Mia is both given and obligatory as was sprucing up the house due to impending company. Yes, not only did we watch a movie this weekend but, in a truly monumental event worthy of a made-for-television movie, we had people over for dinner who were not related to us! Corinne, her husband Forrest and incredibly adorable son Shepherd came over for dinner. Mia dug hanging out with the baby (and by hanging out I mean trying to slap him about the head and feast on his nose) and Beth and I appreciated talking to real live adults. It was totally cool and not at all awkward for a meeting of "Internet people." Of course, after they left, the first thing I told Beth was, "god, I hope they didn't think we were freaks." "Well," Beth replied, "there's not a damn thing we can do about that now." Fingers crossed!

Sunday started early and ended somewhat late. Later for Beth who was up half the night with a screaming baby (I predict tooth number eight). We managed to sneak a nice walk in in the morning before the clouds invaded. I finally got a chance to try our little baby backpack thingy which is probably why I can walk about as well as Barbaro this morning. The combination of being a little out of shape and a 23 pound baby on your back? Uh...ouch! The evening ended with bathtime. There was splashing and suction cup-laden bath toys stuck to daddy's head. Which caused a little incident...

Her: You're a good dad.
Me: Thanks. But why, specifically.
Her: The lengths you go to to entertain Mia.
Me: Yeah, well, it's not like I intentionally threw myself under the bus on this one. Not like I saw this coming.
Her: True. But you'd have done it anyway.
Me: Yeah, probably. So, how bad is it?
Her: Let me put it this way - you want some makeup?
Me: Crap. Thanks, but I'll pass.

See, one of the suction cups left a little big-ass mark. Think anyone will notice?

hickey

Posted by Chris at May 22, 2006 7:55 AM
Comments

Your pissed-off look in that pic makes it priceless. Forehead hickey!!!

Posted by: ironic1 at May 22, 2006 8:09 AM

All I can say is, I hope you have no big meetings scheduled for today! Also, a little foundation on that bad boy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Posted by: pea at May 22, 2006 8:12 AM

Oh. My. Goodness.

My lab-mate is looking at me funny. That's what I get, I guess, for laughing so loudly.

Anyway, glad you had a nice weekend. :)

Posted by: Alissa at May 22, 2006 8:13 AM

Nice hickey. Just tell everyone it's a "curling iron burn"

Posted by: Kara at May 22, 2006 8:25 AM

You could say you walked into a door. You know, the narrow part of a door. Bonk!

Or, you could say you were reenacting that Far Side cartoon, the one with the Neanderthal guy who chisels a piano out of a rock, then proceeds to play it with his head. Bonk bonk bonk bonk!

Or you could 'fess up and confirm everyone's suspicions that you really are a freak.

Posted by: Alison at May 22, 2006 8:33 AM

Chris has a hickey, Chris has a hickey.

Nanee nanee nanee

Posted by: Jeff A at May 22, 2006 8:37 AM

Tell everyone you made fresh sushi and had a bit of trouble wrestling the octopus.

Posted by: Allan at May 22, 2006 8:39 AM

I remember the war wounds I sustained when my children were going through infancy & toddlerhood.

You could tell everyone you missed a spot when you put your sunscreen on. Wait that might not sound too good. Okay you could tell them that you had brain surgery and that's the mark the laser left...Or you could just use makeup.

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at May 22, 2006 8:43 AM

This kind of reminds me of the time I twisted my ex's nose (I was just playing, I swear!) and it sort of turned red and stayed that way. And he had traffic courth the next day. And I wouldn't stop calling him Rudolph.

Heh. He was pissed. It was great.

Posted by: Contrary at May 22, 2006 8:54 AM

Just tell anyone who asks, you received a botox injection.

Posted by: Wicked H at May 22, 2006 8:58 AM

Well, at least you got the forehead hickey AFTER your dinner - they really would have thought you were freaks if you got it before!

Posted by: Beth in StL at May 22, 2006 9:15 AM

Ok, I'm sure the company does not think you are freaks... and if they did, hopefully they are nice enough to just laugh behind your back about it.

Ibuprofen for the back... it will pass.

Um... the forehead hickey? Sorry... no advice for that one. But I did like the "curling iron burn", although the couple of times I tried that one, no one believed it. Perhaps you should take Beth up on the offer of the make-up.

Posted by: Karen at May 22, 2006 9:15 AM

Hey! Im sorry, I probably shouldnt be laughing but damn that is too funny!!!!

btw I got the cd from the cactus-fish prize fulfillment center. Thanks so much, it sounds great. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Posted by: linda at May 22, 2006 9:16 AM

You're a creative guy, think of some good stories, and tell everyone a different tale. Save the truth for the hot chick.

Posted by: Brad at May 22, 2006 9:19 AM

That's going above and beyond. Just tell the truth. Anyone with a small child will believe it.

I met 3 on line friends and their families for a potluck in San Francisco last March. I was worried about the "blind date" but it was great.

Met another (from England) the very next weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at May 22, 2006 9:19 AM

ROFL! YOU ARE AWESOME!

Posted by: Jess at May 22, 2006 9:23 AM

*mumbling to Forrest* See? Told you they were freaks, he's got a hickey on his forehead.... *giggle* j/k...
We TOTALLY enjoyed our dining experience, and for us, it was so nice to talk to someone without invading their ticklish armpits after 2 minutes to make them giggle or laugh... I mean, we could have done that, and y'all woulda been the ones throwing us out on the sidewalk saying, man, what a bunch of weirdos... :) As far as the hickey goes? That's just classic, man!!!

Posted by: Corinne at May 22, 2006 9:25 AM

Just think, you've provided a stunning target for your coworkers to aim at. Prepare to duck and cover.

Posted by: Nic at May 22, 2006 9:26 AM

I believe Hazel Hazel may have something to add here ;-) Assuming that my memory serves me well...

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at May 22, 2006 9:28 AM

don't feel too badly- I had a high school boyfriend who ALSO stuck a suction cup baby toy to his forehead (although his was a result of too much HIGH SCHOOL "fun") but... long story short... my parents met him for the first time with said HICKEY FOREHEAD... (ps they were right about that guy)

Posted by: Stephanie at May 22, 2006 9:49 AM

Awwww. Ya know, the same thing happened to me once. Only I was like 12 and it was from entertaining my little sister by sucking a cup onto my mouth and pulling it off...while my parents made funeral arrangements for my grandfather. So yeah, I went to my grandfather's funeral with a huge hickey around my mouth...I am from Louisiana though, so I don't think anyone was surprised.

Posted by: gesikah at May 22, 2006 10:00 AM

Heh! You so make me laugh! Freak...NO! Just funny! I am telling you there IS a book there some where! : ) Hugs

Posted by: Gypsy at May 22, 2006 10:02 AM

Too funny. You gave yourself a forehead hickey. This time, I'm sorry to say, I am actually laughing at you.

Posted by: Jessie at May 22, 2006 10:03 AM

Hey, all you got was a forehead hickey... when Elizabeth was around Mia's age, she headbutted me one day and gave me the best shiner of my life.

Kids. They never told you about the damage. :)

Posted by: amber at May 22, 2006 10:06 AM

I think the forehead hickey is a rite of passage for every father. My dad gave himself one entertaining me many, many moons ago and still brings it up at family parties. But he didn't have a cool pic of it, though. Hee!

Posted by: SpaceCase at May 22, 2006 10:09 AM

Oops. I hope Mia appreciates the lengths you will go to for her entertainment!

Posted by: bad penguin at May 22, 2006 10:20 AM

Mark of the fatherhood. Sort of like mark of the Beast. If it's not a hicky on the forehead, it's going to be some other emotional mark. Heh.

Posted by: oakley at May 22, 2006 11:55 AM

Someone I know may or may not have had a similar incident with a manual breast pump. The story cannot be confirmed.

Posted by: Julie at May 22, 2006 12:28 PM

Just tell everyone that you're investigating the possibility of becoming Hindu...and that this is a temporary "bindi" mark.

And you are a really good Dad. How refreshing it is to read the words of a man who is so unabashedly in love with his daughter (and wife). Awesome.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 22, 2006 12:28 PM

You are a good dad, despite the fact that you watched a Harry Potter Movie. I love the picture of Mia's butt and little legs. Cute.

Now, a favour:

I am requesting an official boycott of the “Reject The Koolaid” Blog.

The reasons are given in my latest post and I would appreciate your assistance with passing the message round.

I'm posting this on all the Blogs I can think of.

Sorry to be foward.

Posted by: Alice at May 22, 2006 12:29 PM

Ha! this is hilarious... a forehead hickey from a suction cup. [shaking in laughter]

I just want tknow what your office mates think.

Posted by: Bethany at May 22, 2006 12:37 PM

HA! Nice.

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at May 22, 2006 12:43 PM

At least its not a big purple knot a inch or so lower...many moons ago, the bro got irritated at me for giving him the last fruit by the foot roll in the 'old' box and not opening the just bought box...so he did his pitcher imitation and I got the nasty knot from heck that took a couple weeks to disappear...at least it was summer! Could you get away with wearing a fedora for a few days? :)

Posted by: christina at May 22, 2006 12:52 PM

Hahaha! My brother gave himself a chin hickey with a turkey baster bulb when he was in high school. Makeup really doesn't cover those things up, even when you earn them innocently :)

Posted by: Becky at May 22, 2006 1:01 PM

Dot of Wrath.

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 22, 2006 1:03 PM

Classic! My dad did the same thing with one of those plastic suction darts when I was little. He's been my favorite parent ever since...

Posted by: Angie at May 22, 2006 1:25 PM

So? Your co-workers won't dare cross you when you tell them about your own personal remora.

Posted by: bhd at May 22, 2006 1:36 PM

I love the pic. And yeah - meeting internet friends is always weird. I drove all the way to Canada to meet with one and my cousin made me call every morning and night to make sure they weren't axe murderers. I didn't tell her about the stuffed bear heads in the basement!

Posted by: Heather at May 22, 2006 1:42 PM

Heh. Forehead hickeys become you.

Posted by: Martha at May 22, 2006 1:59 PM

Hahaha, is that mark is still on you?

Posted by: Ava at May 22, 2006 2:16 PM

Oh my god, I am cracking up. Thanks for the visual. I love it.

Posted by: Melissa at May 22, 2006 2:54 PM

So, has the hickey been a popular topic of conversation at the office today? Exactly how are you explaining it? Because you can't just tell the truth - you have to have fun with that one!

Posted by: Traci at May 22, 2006 2:56 PM

Hee! You got a big-ass hickey on your forehead!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at May 22, 2006 3:04 PM

i suppose you could tell your coworkers you were in a fight. with .. elves with tiny fists.

Posted by: jodi at May 22, 2006 3:05 PM

Hehe. It looks like you have a hicky on your forehead.

You ARE a good dad.

Posted by: Tink at May 22, 2006 3:16 PM

This totally reminds me of the terribly hungover friend who was shocked to find they had put a big temporary tattoo in the middle of their forehead during the previous evenings shenanigans. Nothing quite like looking in the mirror and startling the crap outta yourself.

Posted by: pagalina at May 22, 2006 4:48 PM

yikes, there is no way to hide that one, hope it goes away soon :)

Posted by: johnny steel at May 22, 2006 8:34 PM

I know it's a little early, but this post gave me a great idea for Halloween. Paint Mia's face green, put some big horizontally pointed ears on her, a tan robe and black shirt, put her in the backpack, dress as Luke Skywalker and you've got yourself an awesome costume.

P.S. By no means am I implying your beautiful daughter looks like Yoda.

Posted by: Chris at May 22, 2006 10:03 PM

You can wear that "hicky" with pride. It's like your personal banner, displaying the Daddy love!

Have a great week!

Posted by: Nynke at May 23, 2006 3:36 AM

Yeah, you do look seriously pissed. Just wait til she starts putting barrettes and shaving cream in your hair. (That's what my sister did to my dad!)

Posted by: pixie at May 23, 2006 12:32 PM

Posted by: pixie at May 23, 2006 12:32 PM

That is the funniest thing I have seen in days!!!! Hillarious!

Posted by: Kelly M. at May 23, 2006 3:57 PM

Ooooooh noooooo...too funny. For those of us who don't have to live with it, that is! :) Has anyone at work has said anything about it, or are you heading them off with an explanation so they won't just stare and wonder?

Posted by: Zandria at May 24, 2006 9:24 PM