May 3, 2006

Winners and Search Strings

First and foremost, I know you guys probably want to know who won yesterday's little contest. The clue again was:

The song captured in the ring tone is an anthem with a killer intro performed by a band that's current but definitely not young (they have been, in fact, saluted by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). They're picture-perfect rebels who debuted on the charts in the late seventies and have been charting ever since.

Many came close, but only a few people came up with the correct response - AC/DC's For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). I mentioned that I left some clues within the clue. Current, of course, referred to the name of the band while young referred to Angus and Malcolm Young. Picture-perfect rebels was a little more obscure. Hopefully it made you think of a camera and, if you thought of a camera, you might have tied it with rebel and come up with the manufacturer Canon. And the song features some excellent canon blasts. Okay, so it was a stretch. Congrats to Melissa who came up with the answer first. And a special shout-out to everyone else who guessed the song or came so close!

To other things...I was doing a little site maintenance last night and came across some interesting search strings. It's been a while since I broke out this feature, so here it is!

Mouth size. Many have claimed it's too big. I think it's just right.
Getting out of jury duty. When asked about proper punishment for any offence, even the most minor, scream "Death penalty! Rotten scoundrels deserve the death penalty, I say!" at the top of your lungs. That should do it.
My dog ate a squirrel in the yard. Did he leave any for you? Mmmm, squirrel.
Mazda Miata in snow. I've never driven one, but I have the feeling a Miata is about as good as a legless midget in the snow. Two words - you're fucked.
Led Zeppelin Ten Years Gone analysis. All kidding aside, it's really one of their finest, most underrated songs. So, I say "fuck yeah". There's my analysis. Insightful, huh?
Animated Southpark. As opposed to the real life Southpark? Or Southpark on Ice?
Penis in a hat. Someone has to explain the birds and bees to you again.
How do I know if my neighbor has a meth lab? First, is your neighbor hoarding Sudafed? Any small explosions? Has their house blown up recently?
Escorts North Carolina spanking. Okay, which one of you has traveled to North Carolina recently?
I really don t know what the hell I'm looking for but oh well search anyway whilst I attempt to type correctly and fail miserably. Look, whoever typed this? I love you. You're my kinda people. Thanks for leaving this little nugget for me to find.
Kleshto. Bless you!
Craziest thing you intend to do in the future? Once I build the time travel machine, I think I'll take a nice little jaunt to 3059 and moon the intergalactic overlords.
Tunes for a baby that won't drive you crazy. I don't know what the color of the sky is in your world but all babies will drive you crazy eventually.
Wilfred Brimley. I don't know why, but I really like the fact that someone searched for Wilfred Brimley and landed here.
Lost Sock Memorial Day. One of the lesser known American holidays.
Things to do with a history degree. If you're anything like me? Nothing.
Men's nipples blog. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was such a thing? Journal Entry 1: I didn't do much today. Didn't really feel like I served too much of a purpose. Kind of a lame existence, if you ask me. Maybe something will come up tomorrow.
Chris is full of shit. You're not the first to pose that theory, my friend. And you won't be the last.

Posted by Chris at May 3, 2006 7:15 AM
Comments

These two are my favorites: "Tunes for a baby that won't drive you crazy" and "Chris is full of shit"

Makes you wonder sometimes about people and their search engine tactics, huh?

Posted by: Emily at May 3, 2006 7:32 AM

I can relate to Tunes for a baby that won't drive you crazy, because when Baby had colic there was only one song that quieted him and by his third month I was hoarse from singing it and one night altered one line of the song to : I really hate this song. I really hate this song. If I have to sing it again, I think I'll hang myself. The ten year old promptly informed me that it's not nice to talk like that.

I've heard of that lost sock Memorial Day before. I would imagine that's the day we drag out all of our single socks and party til they lint. LOL okay that was lame.

Posted by: HR Mommy at May 3, 2006 7:37 AM

hahahaha! you get the best search strings. an old friend of mine used to get awesome ones. i would search for the most random things and her site would pop up. what do you use to track referrals and search strings?

also, if i didn't spend a few more minutes looking up what picture-perfect had to do with for those about to rock, i might've been first... arrrrgggghhh!

Posted by: Denise at May 3, 2006 7:52 AM

South Park on ice.

My god...the visual.

Posted by: QC at May 3, 2006 7:53 AM

Lost Sock Memorial Day? Seriously? I was unaware there's a whole day- I thought it was those brief seconds after one empties the dryer and then bows one's head in remembrance. (Of course, then I use the remaining sock to blow my nose and move on.)

Posted by: Nic at May 3, 2006 8:31 AM

I'm taking my defeat like a man; I'm pissing and moaning about it. ;)

Umm, disregard that North Carolina thing,ok? It was just an idea for a vacation. Ahem.

Posted by: Contrary at May 3, 2006 8:39 AM

when Wilford Brimley was here filming "The Firm," we sat next to him in a restaurant. It was a very nice Italian restaurant, but he was wearing overalls and work boots. My FIL wanted to go over and tell him that he enjoys eating oatmeal but we wouldn't let him.

Posted by: kalisah at May 3, 2006 8:45 AM

Men's nipples blog. - AWESOME

Posted by: wn at May 3, 2006 8:48 AM

Oh, how could you let an opportunity to discuss oatmeal with the Wilf pass you by?

On another note, I suppose you could put a penis in a hat. The question is, why would you want to? And why would you look it up on the internet? People frighten me.

Posted by: Fraulein N at May 3, 2006 8:58 AM

"I really don t know what the hell I'm looking for but oh well search anyway whilst I attempt to type correctly and fail miserably."

i also love that person, whoever it is...

Posted by: suze at May 3, 2006 9:07 AM

Sweet, I won! I honestly think this is the first time I have EVER won anything! :)

And, the "legless midget in the snow"? How do you come up with this stuff??

Posted by: Melissa at May 3, 2006 9:22 AM

Now that you've revealed the answer, I still don't have a clue. I bet my kids would though.

Oh well, I won Beth's.

Nobody ever searches for anything on my site except recipes although I haven't checked in a while.

I have Jury Duty coming up this month.

Posted by: ann adams at May 3, 2006 9:45 AM

Ok, I'm laughing at all of them, but Chris is full of shit just cracked me up. Good thing my office mate isn't here so I don't have to explain why I'm laughing.
And I think I'm the only person I know who wants to be on a jury. lol

Posted by: Traci at May 3, 2006 9:51 AM

Funny MY Chris is full of shit too!

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at May 3, 2006 9:59 AM

Everyone seems to love the "I don't know what I'm looking for" person, but my love goes to the "penis in a hat" guy. Anyone who looks up "penis in a hat" on the Internet has something interesting to say in life (and now, as a result of your publishing his comment, has already said it). And I would think it had to be a guy.

Posted by: Amanda Marlaena at May 3, 2006 10:09 AM

I can't believe I missed the "saluted" part of the clue. Oh, well.

Let me know when you go moon the galactic overlords. That sounds like fun.

Posted by: bad penguin at May 3, 2006 10:17 AM

Dude, I love the searches, although mine cannot compare to yours. The best I get is for "Patron St. of the Downtrodden" and "Who are Jerry Taft's (chicagoland weatherman) kids?" Doesn't quite come close to "penis in a hat." Maybe someday...

Posted by: andy at May 3, 2006 10:19 AM

Man!... and I thought I had it!!!! AC/DC though, that's cool...we talked about that one being the one (we= me and my hubby), but decided it might not fit all the criteria. I didn't read enough into the "young" reference.

Drat.

Oh well, great tune, wierd search threads. Yikes.

Have a great day!

Posted by: Shash at May 3, 2006 11:06 AM

Hey!!! I contributed to search hit of the Rude Cactus blog! Remember, I left a comment about Lost Sock Memorial day this a few weeks ago? And that's what pops up on Google, baby!

BTW - My first guess was AC/DC although I didn't get the right song. But I didn't think they were "current". Frell. What do I know?

Posted by: oakley at May 3, 2006 11:07 AM

Rock on. I love them, I still have a concert t-shirt from when I was a teen.

Posted by: Michele at May 3, 2006 11:19 AM

I love AC/DC. Whenever I listen to them while driving I tend to go faster than usual...hmmm!

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at May 3, 2006 11:23 AM

"Once I build the time travel machine, I think I'll take a nice little jaunt to 3059 and moon the intergalactic overlords."

*grins*

You are just SO cool...

Posted by: Alice at May 3, 2006 11:36 AM

Enough with the words, we want pictures! If you're not gonna use that camera properly, GIMMEE (hey, it was worth a try)!!

Posted by: Jaycie at May 3, 2006 12:03 PM

You have the best search strings. My hit counter won't tell me my search strings. He hates me.

Posted by: melati at May 3, 2006 12:42 PM

That's just fantastic. My search strings are pretty boring. My most frequent one is about these socks that I got for Christmas, called opposocks, which don't match, but they sort of have a theme. Mine have piano keys on one and music notes on the other. Odd, really.

Posted by: Heather at May 3, 2006 12:59 PM

I have jury duty this month, too. I was thinking about going with more of the, "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille", look, but your way is probably faster. I'd actually be interested in serving, except for the whole having-to-park-my-child-in-daycare-for-an-unknown-number-of-days part.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at May 3, 2006 1:02 PM

Entertaining as usual. The dog and squirrel comment made me laugh out loud.

Posted by: Lisa B at May 3, 2006 2:46 PM

Men's nipple blog is my favorite. You get great ones. The best one I have ever gotten was, pee standing up. The things people search for, cracks me up.

Posted by: Melissa at May 3, 2006 3:50 PM

The penis in a hat thing has GOT to come from that Elephant you had on your head for Halloween.

I get people searching for song lyrics. You get people searching for legless midgets. I really need to come hang out here more often, maybe the strangeness will rub off on me! :)

I've been to NC within the past month, but no spankings were given or received while I was there. However, some are duly needed - they're just outside of the scope of our current task load. (Dangit!)

Posted by: Kellie at May 3, 2006 4:52 PM

Maybe the penis hat search was really for a penis cozy but he was too embarrassed to say so. Maybe his gets really cold.

LOVE the men's nipples blog! LOL!

Posted by: e at May 3, 2006 6:38 PM

I just wanna know how you celebrate Lost Sock Memorial Day.

Posted by: Pammer at May 3, 2006 9:22 PM

We have some strange people in this world. I would have never guessed there to be a Men's Nipple Blog. I wonder if they ever found it.

Posted by: Sabrina at May 4, 2006 12:40 PM

I live in South Carolina...but I swear I have nothing to do with the North Carolina thing! :)

Posted by: Stephanie at May 4, 2006 8:52 PM