May 15, 2006

Yet Another Weekend Recap

Before I talk about the weekend - which I will because I'm incredibly predictable without the requisite gallon of coffee and that's what I always seem to do on Mondays - allow me to wish all you mothers out there a very happy Mother's Day. Over the last ten months, I've developed a new-found respect for you guys, having watched Beth join the ranks of motherhood. It's a tough gig...like, the hardest gig in the world. So, I think everyday should be Mother's Day. You should get bonuses in real cash money handed out on at least weekly basis, fleets of chauffeur-driven limousines should be placed at your disposal, and even the top-shelf ice cream should miraculously lose all caloric content just for you.

Now, back to the weekend...

Friday nights are of little consequence in the Cactus-Fish household. As you might have gathered, our hands are somewhat full. Rarely do we make it out for a wild night of clubbing. Instead, we're both somewhat comatose by the time 8:00 rolls around. And after last week? A week in which I spent no longer than one hour straight in my office because of all the damn meetings? I was operating at the level of your typical lobotomized lab rat.

Saturday, however, was a different story. Mia and I got up early and let Beth sleep in. There was some hardcore playing to include games of Stand Up, Fall Down; The Kitchen 500 (in which contestants crawl laps around the kitchen's center island until, well, it gets really really boring or the contestants spot something shiny elsewhere in the house); and the ever-popular, Grab Daddy's Nose Really Hard And Make A Third Nostril. I don't recommend that last one. It smarts. Once Beth was up, I grabbed my camera and headed out to take some pictures of a newly constructed church I really like. Then it was back home to play some more (avoiding that nostril game), edit some pictures and just hang out with Mia.

Sunday, Mother's Day, found us hosting a brunch for our families. There was food, so much, in fact, that I brought what was left for the office vultures to tear apart this morning. Overall, it was a great time and Mia was incredibly social and lots of fun. Afterwards - in an effort to keep ourselves awake - we went out, got Mia some toys and played the rest of the day.

I did a lot of hanging out with Mia this weekend, much more than I get the chance to during the week. Mia is, without a doubt, one of the coolest people I know. And I have this amazing chance to watch her grow up and play a big role in that process. I often complain that I'm tired, overworked, depressed, annoyed or generally pissed off at the world but, more than anything else, I'm lucky. Lucky to have this wonderful little girl who looks up at me and smiles whenever I walk into a room. Lucky to have Beth, who is a fantastic wife and a stellar mother. And lucky to have my own mom who, if I do say so myself, didn't do too bad a job with me.

Posted by Chris at May 15, 2006 7:21 AM
Comments

Very nice. Sounds perfect. Perhaps the third nostril would come in handy during allergy season, just a thought.

Posted by: Wicked H at May 15, 2006 7:43 AM

I can't wait until Mia grows up and reads back through some of the things you've written. I think it'll be fun for her that you've chronicled her childhood with such detail.

Props to Beth and all mother's for doing, and enjoying, the hardest job around.

Posted by: Emily at May 15, 2006 7:45 AM

Sounds like a very nice weekend. Those where you don't really do anything of great consequence are often the best. Mine was similar.

Posted by: Alissa at May 15, 2006 7:56 AM

Sounds like a very nice weekend.

Posted by: Jenn at May 15, 2006 8:00 AM

Yesterday was Mothers Day? Aww crap...

We did something different on mothers day here. A group of us from my church all went to one of our members house for lunch. She has no family around here so it was a thrill for her to have someone to hang out with her and we all had a great time. I ate way too much, they really shouldn't have made those darn brauts. I am still paying for that little mistake this morning!

Glad your Mothers Day went well and those pics of the church are way cool. I was admiring them the other day. I just got a new memory card for one of my cameras so now I am capable of taking up 200 shots without having to stop. I am hoping that will make me get out and shoot more, it might if it ever stops raining here, stupid weather!

Posted by: Jeff A at May 15, 2006 8:00 AM

I was doing a lot of the same thing as you, hanging out with BabyJuJu and marveling at the wonderfulness of her. There is nothing more entertaining than a child, I've come to realize.
I miss her terribly today...

Posted by: JuJu's Mom Linda at May 15, 2006 8:40 AM

I agree that moms are about the most important, hard working people there are, and I can't wait to be one myself. However, what I did not appreciate this weekend was when some teenaged clerk at the local craft store looked at me (a well-rested, dressed up 26-year-old with nary a child in sight) and said "Happy Mother's Day, Ma'am". Despite my wonderful mood, it took every ounce of will power I had not to jump across the counter and smack her - not so much for the Mother's Day well wishes, because if she knows something I don't, that would be cool. But the Ma'am thing - I just will not stand for that.

Posted by: Jessie at May 15, 2006 8:47 AM

we had mike's family over yesterday - complete with his two small nieces from England. While at our house the youngest niece, the 13-month-old, went from taking a few tenative steps without support to full on walking. it was amazing, but not so much as the grin on her face when she realized that she was now fully mobile on just two legs.

i totally want a kid of my own now...

Posted by: suze at May 15, 2006 8:50 AM

Gorgeous church pics. And the "Stand Up/Fall Down" is always harder on the one NOT wearing the diaper.

Posted by: wordgirl at May 15, 2006 9:15 AM

Sounds like a good weekend... Those are the best kinds of games... well, maybe not that nostril one, and for some reason, crawling can be hard on old knees.

Posted by: Karen at May 15, 2006 9:34 AM

You certainly are lucky, um, except for the third nostril thing. Ow. And I agree! All ice cream should be calorie free!!

Posted by: Theresa at May 15, 2006 10:14 AM

You don't like the nose game? That's strange, it's one of my favorites... ;-)

We also hosted a colossal brunch at 11, then hosted an even more colossal 1st b-day party for Mina at 3 p.m. Not to mention all the back-breaking yard work in-between...busy yet awesome weekend.

Posted by: Ginny at May 15, 2006 10:20 AM

Except for hauling 2 of the 3 off to church and then their monthly french fry ration at Jack's, I took yesterday off.

I'm entitled.

Nice post as always.

Posted by: ann adams at May 15, 2006 10:54 AM

You are very fortunate to have such a beautiful family. And your mom did a great job with you :)

Posted by: Ava at May 15, 2006 11:07 AM

It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful mothers day weekend (even with the nose game). I always love reading about you and Mia...It's very inspiring!

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at May 15, 2006 11:15 AM

"And the ever-popular, Grab Daddy's Nose Really Hard And Make A Third Nostril."

That sounds like it's right up there with "Act like you're going in for kisses and then head butt" game. My brother's used to do that one.

Happy Mother's Day Beth!

Posted by: Tink at May 15, 2006 12:03 PM

Ya gotta hand it to the office vultures, they sure aid in keeping the fridge cleaned out. LOL It's one thing I miss from my days at the office -that and semi-intelligent (wait a minute, I MUST be suffering from grown-up withdrawal if I'm referring to my former co-workers as even remotely intelligent -I think there were exactly two people -possibly three- who were intelligent, the rest? Not so much) adult conversation.

Mommyhood has its challenges.

Hope Beth had a terrific first Mother's Day.

Posted by: HR Mommy at May 15, 2006 12:46 PM

You just described what has to be the BEST WEEKEND EVER.

Posted by: Bethany at May 15, 2006 12:52 PM

If you could make ice cream calorie free, you would be my hero forever!!!
Glad you guys enjoyed your first Mother's Day as parents. Just think, Father's Day is right around the corner!

Posted by: Traci at May 15, 2006 12:59 PM

Something I love about blogging, and reading a blog like yours, is it takes me inside the mind of people.

It is a giant commentary on the leaps and bounds of sexual politics when a man can work hard all week to support his family and then come home and write about how much enjoys getting to know his daughter. And make it seem genuine.

You are a neat person, Chris. I like knowing that at least one new girl on this earth will grow up with a dad that is so wonderfully in love with her.

Posted by: melati at May 15, 2006 1:05 PM

You're an awesome Dad, Chris. The way you talk about Mia is heartwarming.

Posted by: Kristin at May 15, 2006 2:53 PM

That was a very sweet post. You seem to attract the brightest and loveliest ladies!

You are lucky to have them and they are lucky to have you. Life's not so bad when you look at things that way.... But then again, bitching can be so FUN!

Posted by: meghan at May 15, 2006 3:07 PM

Sounds like a fun, memorable weekend. I'm glad you got to relax and enjoy the time with your family after such a hectic week. :)

Posted by: Jill at May 15, 2006 3:46 PM

glad you had a chance to relax a bit and enjoy the important things in life :)

Posted by: johnny steel at May 15, 2006 3:59 PM

Isn't it great? :-) I told Matt that parenting is like reading the most fascinating book you've ever opened, but you only get to read one page a day. The best part is that the book never ends.

Posted by: Casey at May 15, 2006 6:22 PM

After reading this I just have one word: Awww...

Posted by: Beth in StL at May 15, 2006 6:25 PM