June 13, 2006

Cinematic Dorkdom

I'm a big dork. That shouldn't shock any single one of you but you should be, for appearance's sake, shaking your head vigorously saying something under your breath like no, that's not true. Thank you in advance. Why am I claiming to be such a big dork this time?

I have this habit of saving my movie ticket stubs. I've written about it before. I'm sure lots of people do it. Two weeks ago, Mia found my movie stub stash. This proved to be great fun but also got me wondering about my movie viewing habits. So, big dork that I am (keep shaking your heads) I decided to do a little in-depth analysis.

Figure 1. Movies I Have Evidence of Seeing

My stubs go way back to the inner recesses of 1997 with the Jodie Foster classic Contact and the Kevin Kline comedy In and Out and abruptly end a few weeks prior to Mia's birth with Headcase Cruise's War Of The Worlds. Between those two points are some great movies as well as some unadulterated crap. I'm really a collector and a packrat by nature, so it does bother me that there are lots of movies not represented in my little collection. I saw Battlefield Earth and I really want credit for sitting through that pile of shit on celluloid. I also seem to be missing Bridget Jones' Other Diary or Renee Zelweiger Gets Chunky Again or whatever the hell that was called. The trifecta of trifectas - Lords of The Ring, Star Wars and The Matrices - should be represented as well. I've seen all but the most recent Harry Potter in theaters as well as every James Bond movie since A View To A Kill. And since the collection only travels so far back in time, I'm missing the 37 stubs I got seeing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (although I skipped its sequel altogether), the long-cherished stubs from The Three Amigos and midnight showings of The Lost Boys, not to mention the 3,295 dates I took to see Can't Buy Me Love. Suffice it to say, you're not getting a complete picture.

Based on this limited sample, however, a few things become clear. If I'm headed to see a movie, chances are it'll be a drama or an action flick. Broad categories, I know and frankly I'm a little surprised not to see a stronger showing from the comedies. I enjoy a good horror film but apparently I'd rather rent one, watch it in the basement and hide behind a pillow like a little girl in the comfort of my own home. Documentaries? I think Michael Moore's last effort was the single entry in this category. I'm not a big fan of musicals either, at least in movie form. Chicago was singularly responsible for this category showing up and I thought it bit. Now, throw together a musical version of Battlefield Earth and I'm there!

So there you have it - more about my movie-going habits than you ever wanted to know. Plus cool charts and graphs that, yes, prove I'm a big dork. You can stop shaking your heads now.

Posted by Chris at June 13, 2006 6:32 AM
Comments

I have my collection of stubs from 1987 onwards. Does that make me a bigger dork?

Mine shows a heavy prediliction for stupid romantic comedies. You made me think - I love documentries - Ill watch just about any documentry. But I rarely watch them in a theatre, whereas I rarely rent a "romantic comedy".

Perhaps it is because I just enjoy the movie experience - with a tub of popcorn, a soda and a darkened movie theatre Ill swallow any crap you show me whereas at home I am more discriminating.

Or something. Sigh. Yeah, Im a big dork.

But Im proud of the fact that I have never made it thru (without falling asleep) of my dad's favorite movie "The Vainglorious Search for Rosebud."

Posted by: That Girl at June 13, 2006 7:08 AM

Did I mention I have also scrapbooked stubs 1987-1991?

I soooo have you beat dork-wise.

Posted by: That Girl at June 13, 2006 7:09 AM

Wow. The pie chart really drives the dorkiness home. Good work proving a point.

Posted by: Sarah at June 13, 2006 7:29 AM

Ahh, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Oft quoted here at work. And The Three Amigos. Oft qouted by my dear husband.

I don't see near that many movies, though I would dearly love to. I just don't have the time/money/energy, not to mention the fact that I'd need to drive to a real city. We have a theatre here. It has 3 screens. Small ones. Sometimes we get new movies.

Posted by: Alissa at June 13, 2006 7:52 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I have stubs dating from Janurary 1995 when I went to see the Lion King for my birthday. I don't have a pie chart, but now I sort of want one.

Posted by: Dawn at June 13, 2006 7:53 AM

You charted your movie patterns. That's great! It's so something I'd have done!!

Posted by: Emily at June 13, 2006 8:09 AM

Wow. I have no stubs. I'm not sure if that makes me unsentimental or just neat.

I haven't gone to a movie in the theater since Men in Black 2.

Ok, I just realized I have no life.

Posted by: Contrary at June 13, 2006 8:12 AM

Um, yeah, I'm a statistician by trade so I thought that your chart and graph were pretty cool. We do stuff like that at work all the time because we are all giant dorks.

Posted by: Jessie at June 13, 2006 8:20 AM

I just went to see "Cars" on Saturday. Great movie. Pixar sure knows how to make 'em. And I rented "The Producers". I didn't know the whole movie was going to be a musical. It was really a good movie. That and "Grandma's Boy". Seriously funny stuff. It's made by Adam Sandler's company, about a guy who's about 30 and is a game tester for this huge playstation-ish company. Either way, rent those. I guarentee you'll enjoy them :)

Posted by: Michelle at June 13, 2006 8:22 AM

OMG you are such a dork with too much time on your hands. No wonder I love ya so much....lol

Posted by: Jenn at June 13, 2006 8:23 AM

I was thinking, "Oh, you're not a dork." And then I saw the pie chart. The PIE CHART.

Dude, you made a pie chart of movies. Dork! (And, uh, welcome to the club.)

Posted by: Fraulein N at June 13, 2006 8:34 AM

I think I love you. But don't worry, it's a geeky, very pure kind of thing. I *heart* charts and graphs. Please tell me you have an Excel spreadsheet set up too! That would just be the ultimate end! :D

Posted by: pea at June 13, 2006 8:39 AM

"Sew old woman! Sew like the wind!"

Ahhh, a classic.

Posted by: mingaling at June 13, 2006 8:40 AM

I was supposed to be shaking my head??? Oops!!
My BF used to save all his stubs and then write on the back who he went to see the movie with.
Interestingly enough, he stopped doing this when he started dating me. I like to think it's because he'll never see a movie with anyone besides me again so there's no need to keep track of it. Then again, I live in a fantasy world. ;)

Posted by: Traci at June 13, 2006 9:02 AM

Since I don't keep my stubs does this mean I am not a dork? I also don't do charts and graphs. Does this make me undorkish and cool? Can I tell my friends this?

Posted by: Red at June 13, 2006 9:03 AM

First of all, can I say how impressed I am at the amount of time and effort you put into this post?

Thanks. I think.

Posted by: Debbie at June 13, 2006 9:11 AM

i used to save my ticket stubs from plays that i went to. Stashed neatly inside the programme from each play. That, often stashed inside the expensive commemorative programme with full colour glossy pictures that I had to buy. Does that make me more, less or as dorky as you?

Posted by: suze at June 13, 2006 9:20 AM

Big dork = totally awesome!

Posted by: Isabel at June 13, 2006 9:27 AM

I always collect movie stubs. But many have been lost or forgotten or eaten up by blackholes. I've been doing so for the past 8 yrs now. And just like Traci's BF stated above, I too wrote the names of friends present or the people present with me at the movies. But I stopped the writing the names part. And am trying to stop with the stub collection. But not so much! :D

Posted by: Dee at June 13, 2006 9:35 AM

My parents are such pack rats that I swore to myself that I would not be one, so therefore the movie ticket stubs either go into the trash or go through the washer and then the trash. But the charts and graphs I can totally get on board with, and it's rather refreshing knowing there are plenty other dorks like me out there.

Posted by: Beth in StL at June 13, 2006 9:42 AM

Wow. You really are a dork. Love the charts, though. Dork!

Posted by: Alison at June 13, 2006 10:14 AM

UNBELIEVEABLE! When my wife moved in with me years ago, I found her collection of saved movie stubs dating back the previous 10 years. She'd even written the names of her friends with whom she'd gone to see the movie. I'd never heard of such a thing before! Who the heck collects movie stubs?

Now, I know.

(Despite the fact that I always tease my wife about this, I think you've got her beat in the dork department. Pie charts, dude? You know I love you but I think that officially sealed your status as king of the geeks!)

Posted by: MetroDad at June 13, 2006 10:17 AM

Jeeze. I thought I was a geek...

Posted by: Ginny at June 13, 2006 10:19 AM

I heart the movie ticket stubs! I have a table inside my front door - and if I can remember to get them out of my pocket before I wash my pants, they go in there... Yay for dorkdom!

Posted by: Sue at June 13, 2006 11:10 AM

I just recently parted ways with the torn and tattered stub of my seeing Legends of the Fall in 1995 with the first guy I ever kissed. It was hard to let go. But seeing as the first guy I ever kissed isn't my husband, well, the husband was just jealous of that stub. The stub I'd often take out and just hold in my hand. Hence, its torn and tattered state. Sigh.

Posted by: Jen at June 13, 2006 11:11 AM

I used to keep ALL stubs and then I realized it was kind of dorky. ;-D

I only keep stubs of the great adventures I'd have to with the movies. So, re-releases of Star Wars 3-6 I went with my friend and her folks. Then Episode 1 where I slept on the sidewalk of Hollywood for. Mission to Mars, the first unofficial date with Brandon. And, yes, the worst movie ever, Battlefield Earth because it was the ONLY movie I sort of walked out on. I pretended that I had to go to the bathroom and kind of just hung out outside for a while. Hahah.

Posted by: oakley at June 13, 2006 11:14 AM

I have all my stubs of the past 10 years too...they number three. THAT is pathetic...lol. No movies since Mia was born? Please tell me you've at least rented Wedding Crashers!

Posted by: Jaycie at June 13, 2006 11:19 AM

Sorry, I can't do the obligatory head shaking thing; you are a dork, plain and simple.

But that's ok. I'm a dork too.

;-)

Posted by: Alice at June 13, 2006 11:20 AM

Ok... I am so a packrat... but the new hubby is not. Therefore, anything I accumilated before him, is in boxes in the storage space. I didn't save movie tickets (they always ended up in the wash), but I still have my Black Sabbath concert ticket stub from 1981. It was the Rock and a Hard Place tour... That is dorkdom, if you can remember the tour name 25 years later... sigh...

BTW... this ranks right up there with the Slurpee Charts...

Posted by: Karen at June 13, 2006 11:32 AM

So great to see you went to a movie on my 29th birthday. Since I was parent to a young child and knocked up again (although I didn't know it yet), I'm pretty sure I spent that birthday at home wishing for sleep. But at least someone was out, having a good time, eating over-priced popcorn.

More power to you.

Posted by: Elaine at June 13, 2006 12:02 PM

Every day I'm further convinced that you and my husband were either
a. separated at birth or,
b. you're the bizarro Pat (or he's the bizarro cactus, I'm not sure)
He loves him some charts and graphs. But he's not much of a saver. If you need help constructing your excel spreadsheet, feel free to give him a call.

Posted by: Annie at June 13, 2006 12:05 PM

Statistically significant, to be sure! Significantly dorky!

In an awesome way.

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at June 13, 2006 12:12 PM

Not on topic, but I have to ask:

Did the hickey finally leave peacefully? Or did it leave promising a vengeful return, leaving a bloody note stabbed to the wall w/ a hunting knife?

Posted by: Nicole at June 13, 2006 12:20 PM

If left be, I would have all my movies stubs back quite some ways. An OCD wife however, keeps my collection from maintaining any size as she must have some sort of "clutter sensor" that as soon as I have gathered a couple (Which takes much longer now than it used to), and gets rid of them.

That being said, since my daughter was born (2000), virtually every movie that I have gone to see (that is not a Pixar/Dreamworks) has been a total bomb. So while you may want credit for going to see Battlefield Earth, I would prefer there be no actual proof that I have actually paid money to see films like Jurrasaic Park 3, Eyes Wide Shut, or Murder by Numbers. So perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that I not have these reminders around that I wasted money to see these abominations.

Posted by: Latte Man at June 13, 2006 12:26 PM

My last movie was Brokeback Mountain and I can't remember the last one before that. Probably sat through something science fiction with Ray.

They've priced me out (except for Brokeback which I saw big screen to make a point in the community). I'd written a scathing letter to the editor when we thought our local theater would ban it. Had to follow through in person on that one and glad I did.

Loved it.

Posted by: ann adams at June 13, 2006 12:48 PM

that is the most beautiful thing ever!

i used to save my ticket stubs too. but in addition to being a packrat, i am also completely without organizational skills and therefore lost them a long time ago.

Posted by: jodi at June 13, 2006 1:18 PM

Umm, the whole statistical analysis really solidified your dorkiness for me.

Although, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure = EXCELLENT!!

Posted by: chantel at June 13, 2006 1:20 PM

Wow. You're really organized. :)

Posted by: Mary at June 13, 2006 1:38 PM

But charts and graphs are so cool! (Obviously I am a dork too.)

Posted by: Heather at June 13, 2006 1:49 PM

Boy, I thought I was bad when I happen to go back into my coats (from the past winter) and pull out stubs!
I like the Bill and Ted's thing though. Are you really serious about that? Did you see it that much? Good for you.
I have an idea for a post (if you haven't already done it). Guilty pleasures as far as movies. Maybe the top 3 movies that you watch EVERY time you can-which prove that you are a big geek? I would love to know what is on everyone's list.
Mine?
1. The Big Chill
2. Sixteen Candles
3. Fried Green Tomatoes

Posted by: Jamie at June 13, 2006 1:55 PM

Now you should save anniversary cards for your wife. My sister was visiting some friends of hers, on their anniversary. Bernie brought out 63 years worth of anniversary cards from Helen. I'm sure you can chart that, too.

Posted by: bhd at June 13, 2006 2:53 PM

Wow. Just...wow.

Posted by: hannah at June 13, 2006 3:10 PM

I'm fairly disappointed in myself. I mean, I've always considered myself to be dorky, but never in my life have I saved a movie ticket stub. If I would have known I'd end up with the memory of a 100 year old at the age of 30, I probably would have. Couldn't agree with you more on Chicago, and I like musicals. That one just sucked. And Can't Buy Me Love, a classic. And the nerd wins! Yay, nerds!

Posted by: kim at June 13, 2006 3:36 PM

My God. You've got CHARTS? I'm just speechless.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at June 13, 2006 5:26 PM

I'm a little scared, yet oddly jealous. I have every movie stub from the age of about 12. How much to have you analyze my trends?

Posted by: laura at June 13, 2006 6:43 PM

I would laugh, except that I have been saving mine since high school. I can't look at them though, I might scare myself.

Bill and Ted's, I love that movie. In fact, I should really find it on DVD. ;)

Posted by: Melissa at June 13, 2006 7:56 PM

Whoa! That is dorky! Sorry man.

Posted by: Dennis at June 13, 2006 8:07 PM

If I come across a movie ticket stub, it is TOTALLY by accident. Concert stub are another matter entirely.

Posted by: wordgirl at June 13, 2006 8:19 PM

--shakes head--

pure proof of your right to dorkdom!

Posted by: Theo at June 13, 2006 8:54 PM

your wife is doing good! she got you to go to some chick flicks, not since we were dating and not a whole lot then, have i been able to get my husband to go to them, lol.

Posted by: lizabetty at June 13, 2006 10:09 PM

I too prefer to watch the horror flicks at home to keep from embarassing myself. I don't keep my stubs though...I guess I'm not dorky enough yet, but I promise I'll work on it!

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at June 13, 2006 10:42 PM

I can't believe how many people empathized with, nay, BEAT your dorkiness. My sister saves her's too, awesome.

I'm ashamed to admit how many times I've watched B&T's AE, CBML and TLB. But I'm happy to know that someone else has, too, even if they don't have the stubs to prove it.

Posted by: jen at June 14, 2006 2:59 AM

I have my stubs going back to 1987, too, but it would never occur to me to work up a spreadsheet and look for patterns. Where do you find the time for this stuff???

As far as the comedies, if you're like me (which I suspect you are) you probably prioritize the action/scifi movies for the theater because you HAVE to see something like that on a big screen, and let the comedies slide because you can watch those on DVD. Just a thought...

Dinosaur? What the hell is that? Or is that short-hand for Jurassic Park Tres?

Posted by: CroutonBoy at June 14, 2006 10:59 AM

Concert tickets yes, movie tickets nope, won't do it.

As for the visio and pie chart, I think I'm getting a boardroom woody. Mrs. Smoke would cringe if she saw your post. She says I can't go anywhere without first checking out their meeting rooms, whiteboards and dry erase markers (and not to sniff). Give me a pointer, a LCD and a mic, let's roll.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 15, 2006 12:45 AM

Chris, once again, you continue to crack me up! And if ever I should need a chart (pie or otherwise), I know just the man to call! LOL.

Posted by: Michelle at June 15, 2006 2:18 PM

Dork you may think yourself, Chris (notice I did not agree with you), but I found this to be one of your most enjoyable posts! Of course, I'm all about movies - watching them, who's in them, who sees them and why, what you thought about them... Talk movies to me and I'm your love slave. Well, okay. Maybe not so much that, but hey... I'm totally into the whole movie scene. There are stubs to be found all around my house. Well, there were. Until I moved. And now there are stubs in many boxes. And many trash heaps, regrettably. Great entry!

Dork. ;)

Posted by: Keri at June 15, 2006 4:29 PM

Oh...a line graph and pie chart? So funny! I have always saved my movie stubs too, but never really had any projected use for them, or outlets for my dorkery. But now I have! So, thank you.

Posted by: supine at June 15, 2006 8:22 PM

Haha! You are very dorky. But, the thing is, when I saw your charts my immediate thought was how cool it was and to wonder how I could make one and what I could possibly make one for, which I guess makes me a total dork, too. How do you come up with this stuff?

Posted by: Janet at June 16, 2006 2:32 PM

Wow, two charts!?! Totally hott. Being both a dork and a Virgo, I looooove charts.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at June 19, 2006 1:52 PM