June 26, 2006

Scary-Ass Weather

Time for the obligatory weekend recap, right? Well, it was a good weekend but wow, last night was crazy.

It rained all weekend, relegating pool plans to the pile of ideas that never quite panned out like the jetpack, personal robotic butlers and a Designing Women reunion. But we had fun. We played with crayons and had Mia's aunt and uncle over for dinner. Last night, however, the weather turned wicked. Storms raged...like other-worldly storms that rattled the windows, caused temporary blindness with all the lightning, and, of course, zapped the power early in the evening. Somehow, we managed to get Mia to bed in spite of all the noise, flashing and lack of anything resembling circulation of cool air. Then we lit every candle in the house, proceeded to the basement where I played old show tunes on the piano and Beth sang and we drank elderberry wine. Oh come on...we're not living in the 40's! In reality, we sat around and talked and I tried to read by candlelight which may explain why I can't see a damn thing this morning.

We hit the sack then, at some point, the power returned causing every light in the house to flare into existence and me to get out of bed and walk around the house, naked, flipping them all off and, somehow, resetting the clocks so I'd wake up this morning. Then, of course, the power went off again and I gave up. (By the way, could I use any more commas? Pro,bab,ly,.)

Nevertheless, I'm awake and here at work. The Beltway, the eight-lane strip of asphalt and death that encircles the DC area, is shut down due to mudslides (mudslides!), most public transportation is shut down because of flooding and, on my way to work, there were actually large sections missing from the main road I travel. Odd.

That's it. Weather. Sucky-ass Monday-morning post, huh? That's all I got. I'm sure I'll think of something more entertaining later. In the mean time, how was your weekend?

Posted by Chris at June 26, 2006 7:16 AM
Comments

Wow...that is crazy about the weather!

My weekend involved sleeping during the days, staying up all night playing games online, watching tv, and satisfying my Myspace addiction, then last night resuming the 3rd shift at work. (thankfully this is the last week of the madness)

Have a great Monday! (or try to) :)

Posted by: Dana at June 26, 2006 7:21 AM

I wish we had some of your rain! Things are pretty dry here.

Friday, we had dinner with friends at The Cheesecake Factory which was quite enjoyable. I sampled gelato for the first time and found that heaven exists in a very small cup, which was exciting.

Saturday, James took the day off of work because apparently now, you have to do that because there's so much work, they won't give you one Saturday a month off anymore, so we ran errands. All. Damn. Day.

Sunday was spent playing XBox360 (for him) and The Sims (for me) which is ideal for both of us.

Don't slide away in the mud today! That would be bad.

Posted by: Emily at June 26, 2006 7:30 AM

Yeah the rain here is crazy. I am glad I turned on the radio this AM because I usually take Rock Creek Parkway to work in the morning to the TR bridge which was all closed. I am also really glad I left early since I am sure getting to work and getting home today will be beyond horrendous.

Here's to more rain and that thing we call work but hey, it is 5 days to a 4 day weekend. WOO HOO!

Posted by: goodsnake at June 26, 2006 7:55 AM

Wow. That's a little scary. We had our share of scariness back in April with the tordado, so we've been there.

At least you had a decent weekend in spite of the rain--which we could use some of here, by the way. My weekend was OK, too, despite the bruises I'm left with...

Posted by: Alissa at June 26, 2006 7:55 AM

Yeesh. Mudslides?

Weekend? We cooked and ate some great food. That's all I can remember now. I haven't had any coffee yet.

Posted by: Alison at June 26, 2006 7:58 AM

damn I was hoping the show tunes and wine drinking was true, it created a funny mental picture this early in the am. Happy errrr M,o,n,d,a,y,,,,,

Posted by: E at June 26, 2006 8:06 AM

I'll start with Thursday when we watched the desperately needed rain (17 pallets of new sod in our back yard) slide by our house in a riotous display of wind and lightening without leaving even a drop.

Friday we again watched that rain pass us by again, although it did tease us with a few drops and even more wind.

Saturday, was the birthday party day for M and E. Great fun was had by all, we experiemented with Floam and found it lacking and altogether too sticky. We continued the rain watch well into the night hoping against the weather channel that said the rain was past us, even if the lightening wasn't.

We awoke Sunday to find we had received just enough rain to give the sod a fighting chance.

Somehow it rained again Sunday afternoon and here we are at Monday morning and there is even more rain (although without the fancy wind and light show).

And now I will copy and paste this comment into my own blog because it is much too long to only leave here.

Posted by: Meredith at June 26, 2006 8:07 AM

Yeah, that storm came through my neck of the woods first, causing tornados and hurricane-force winds. Luckily it was nowhere near as bad as what you guys are seeing damage-wise. Hope it lets up soon, because it looked like it was just sitting over the whole east coast still.

Posted by: Jessie at June 26, 2006 8:29 AM

Um...we got a new driveway.

That's about it for us.

Posted by: candace at June 26, 2006 8:50 AM

naked rude cactus images, floating through my head... ;) ah, monday!

Posted by: RzDrms at June 26, 2006 8:53 AM

That's definitely crazy weather. Drive safely.

We got up to 99 on Saturday and 101 yesterday, breaking the record for June. I've still got a cold, so mostly I sat around coughing and thought about how hot it was. No a/c here!

Actually, yesterday morning I did make it out to the store and the farmer's market, so I could walk around, and get some fresh veggies, and think about how bleeping hot it already was!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at June 26, 2006 8:53 AM

Wow. Mudslides? Perhaps you should invest in a canoe. I hope your basement stayed dry, it'd be a shame to soak the piano and cases of elderberry wine. ;)

Posted by: Betti at June 26, 2006 8:55 AM

No power at the office today, so this gal's working from home, hoping the afternoon storms don't knock my power out here.

Posted by: Boutros at June 26, 2006 8:57 AM

Dude...there were mudslides, AND flooding, and Public Transit is cancelled, and yet you still went to work?

you're either crazy or uber-dedicated. or perhaps both.

Posted by: suze at June 26, 2006 9:09 AM

That would so be me, running around my house naked turning all the lights off that I'd forgotten were on when the power went out.

I read about the crazy weather on CNN this morning. You know it's a slow news week when the top story is a tree falling down in front of the White House.

Posted by: mamatulip at June 26, 2006 9:16 AM

I worked too hard, cooked too much and ended up on a hot, rainy morning feeling like death warmed over!
But thanks for asking.

Posted by: Maribeth at June 26, 2006 9:32 AM

I was going to ask you this morning if you guys were staying dry. Do you think you could send some of that rain down to Arizona where my brother has had a forest fire come within a mile of his house? Thanks.

I had a great weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks with six of my best friends. I am sorer than sore this morning though after much water skiing, tubing and swimming - a small price to pay for such fun.

Posted by: Beth in StL at June 26, 2006 9:39 AM

holy crap. And you couldn't manage a work-at-home day out of all that???

Posted by: kalisah at June 26, 2006 9:42 AM

Naked you say? Has the house next door sold yet? No, those two things are not related to each other. Just curious, you know. Can't a girl make real estate inquiries without people getting all suspicious? Damn.

:D

Posted by: pea at June 26, 2006 9:44 AM

They were some crazy storms... Hubby's home cause the MARC isn't running. Well, it is, but then it would mean a longer Metro ride, and he's not up for an extra hour on the metro.

I saw that... Mudslides?!?! Wow... and it's still supposed to rain more.

Hmm... naked cactus, wandering the house turning off lights... hope the curtains were closed.

Posted by: Karen at June 26, 2006 9:52 AM

Less than average amount of sleeping, watching movies, arguing with friends, playing with hair color, laundry, getting clothes ready for the weekend, etc. Does'nt sound too exciting does it? Maybe more exciting than playing show tunes on the piano and singing. Or NOT!

Posted by: Dee at June 26, 2006 9:55 AM

I just did my weekend wrap-up -- including a bit about my crazy-ass commute this morning. Seriously, what would DC be like if there was another terrorist attack? This morning was MADNESS!

Posted by: Liberal Banana at June 26, 2006 10:02 AM

I'm glad you made it all the way to work in one piece. Good luck getting home!

Posted by: Karen at June 26, 2006 10:34 AM

Mine was pretty good. I literally broke new boundaries in my marriage.

Posted by: Kestrel at June 26, 2006 11:47 AM

I met Rob Thomas.

Posted by: wendy at June 26, 2006 11:50 AM

Weekend...busy. Busy with no room to stop a moment and contemplate my navel. Hot weather. Your typical summer weekend in Texas.

Posted by: wordgirl at June 26, 2006 11:52 AM

On the weekend of my one and only tornado in Arkansas (Memorial Day weekend 1973), we stayed up most of the night singing around the piano too.

It's not a bad thing to do although I imagine your idea of a sing-a-long and mine are little different.

Posted by: ann adams at June 26, 2006 12:02 PM

Sounds like Houston a week ago. I'd started the process of pairing up animals in the neighborhood and now I'm still trying to get all the neighbors pets back to them. Luckily out came the sun and dried up all the rain and the itsy bitsy spider is back down the spout again.

Now I have this 300 x 50 x 30 cubit ark in my backyard that I know sure as shit the HOA is going to send me a nasty letter saying it doesn't meet "neighborhood guidelines" and that I needed to get "design approval" before building.

If you know anyone that needs an ark... I'll let this one go a song. Buyer of course would be responsible for shipping. Trailer is suggested.

P.S. The naked visual was uncalled for... I'm going to have to wash my mental rods and cones just to get back to work.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 26, 2006 12:10 PM

I just remembered the spider goes up the spout not down... damn, I'm always screwing these up!

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 26, 2006 12:34 PM

I can't handle traffic. I was driving around Vancouver yesterday being ever so thankful that I don't have to live there. And Seattle! Oh my gosh. That was insanity.

Posted by: Heather at June 26, 2006 12:51 PM

Aww, thanks for asking. MY weekend was fabulous. The weather in Seattle is gorgeous, thankyouverymuch. But after 8 months of rain, we deserve it. Neener-neener to the East Coast!

Posted by: Jen at June 26, 2006 12:58 PM

Hey Chris. I hope you and your family is safe with the weather. Wow A section of the road missing?

Posted by: Bill at June 26, 2006 1:13 PM

That's weird! We had a wind storm and some rain, nothing big though, but we had a huge power loss. Seems one of the grids that runs from Anchorage to another city (one 160 miles away, the other 40 miles the other direction) took a hit. Luckily we got our power on last night - which is good because we had no candles lol.

Posted by: Mary at June 26, 2006 1:32 PM

During the hurricanes two years ago I lost power for two weeks. When it came back on at 2am in the morning, I was blasted out of bed by all the lights, the blaring TV, and the radio.

For a second, I was convinced I had ghosts.

Here's to hoping your Monday gets MUCH better. But seeing as it IS a Monday, maybe I should be directing that hope toward tommorrow huh?

Posted by: Tink at June 26, 2006 1:45 PM

Mudslides??? Mudslides scare me. We always forget to turn off the lights when the powe goes out too. And some TV or stero always comes back on at 2am with the volume turned to full blast.

Posted by: Melissa at June 26, 2006 2:13 PM

I was heading toward the highway when I heard there was a 2 hour back-up. Promptly made a U-turn and hit the back roads. Ugh.

Posted by: Liz at June 26, 2006 2:27 PM

sorry to hear about all of your crap-ass weather there. Tomorrow you can tell us how you are fanatical about the clocks all reading the same time (or that might just be me).

We had rain here unexpectedly on Saturday. Rain! In California! With thunder, even! It was the conversation du jour here for the cubicle crowd.

I don't mind your commas. I tend to use too many elipses... I guess I never finish a thought... hehe.

Posted by: Lily at June 26, 2006 2:48 PM

Here in Seattle we're having a heat wave.

What's gives?

Posted by: Isabel at June 26, 2006 3:19 PM

Wow, weather can be a scary thing at times!

Posted by: Dennis at June 26, 2006 3:32 PM

Yup....mudslides, closed roads, rain, rain, rain, rain, rain.....and some more rain. We've had more trees than I want to think about struck by lightning right near our townhouse in the last 3 days!!! AHHH!

Posted by: Sue at June 26, 2006 3:48 PM

I miss real storms. We get wet here a lot but we don't have real storms. I'm sure you're sick of it.

However, since you asked;
My Weekend:
Got drunk, fell down - the usual.

Just kidding, it was friggin hot here.

Posted by: chantel at June 26, 2006 7:11 PM

Paris's new song. Paris's dancing, her left eye. Whatd TO get about her??

Posted by: Bethany at June 26, 2006 9:10 PM

Ooooh I love storms like that (of course so long as no one gets hurt)! Send them our way!

Posted by: Heather at June 26, 2006 10:31 PM

you sleep nekkid?

hmm.

waddaya know?

Posted by: s@bd at June 26, 2006 10:33 PM

That used to be one of my favorite things about living in the tropics...NOT. The frequent not-caused-by-weather-or-anything-other-than-antiquated-equipment power outages. The best part was resetting every frigging clock in the house (and why did we have so many?!)...only to have it go out again. That was bad enough...but I'd rinse and repeat at least another two or three times. And I repeated THAT pattern for, oh, FIVE YEARS. Me smart.

That's some weird-*ss weather you guys are having. Hope it's better today.

Posted by: Marilyn at June 27, 2006 9:42 AM