June 23, 2006

Schadenfreude Friday: Your Turn

For quite a few weeks I've been serving up heaping helpings of schadenfreude. I've scoured the news, found the big losers and taken more than a little bit of joy compounding their pain. Now? It's your turn. Who's the biggest loser in your world this week? Who showed the greatest, most stunning amount of stupidity worth noting here?

Of course, I'd be completely and utterly remiss if I didn't mention the demise of the brilliant(ly bad) MSNBC talk show hosted by the husband and wife team of Connie Chung and Maury Povich. Yes, I'm sad to report that Weekends with Maury and Connie is dead. But not without fanfare. No, that would be too easy. Instead, Connie closed the final episode dressed in a white gown, planted atop a grand piano for a, well, terrible rendition of Thanks For The Memories, altering many of the lyrics to burn several bridges. I'm pretty sure it was the meth habit that knocked them off the air. Come on, you watch it and tell me she's sober.

Okay, back to you. Who makes the cut this week?

Posted by Chris at June 23, 2006 6:41 AM
Comments

Holy, holy shit. Connie, say sayonara to whatever chance you had of resurrecting your career!

Posted by: Sparkles Anon at June 23, 2006 8:09 AM

I'll have to get back to you on that question, but wanted to say that I watched the video of Connie. I was embarrased for her.

Can you imagine?

Posted by: cas at June 23, 2006 8:10 AM

Oh. My. God. Was that seriously on the air?!? WOW.

Posted by: Liberal Banana at June 23, 2006 8:29 AM

I was going to say Connie Chung, but since you covered that one, and it's only been a little over a week, I'd say Britney Spears. I couldn't help but feel bad for her during her interview last week. But one thing really stands out: when asked about her husband, she described him as "simple". Now, if I ever, ever described my husband as simple? He'd probably not talk to me for a while. If K-Fed were smart enough to pick up on why that might be offensive that comment could come back to haunt her in a serious way. Luckily he does seem pretty simple, so maybe he'll let it slide.

Posted by: Jessie at June 23, 2006 8:41 AM

holy crap...what the hell was that?!?!?!

Posted by: suze at June 23, 2006 9:09 AM

I saw the Connie Chung thing earlier this week - funny as hell! I guess my vote this week is for the U.S. World Cup Soccer team. Nothing against the team personally, it's just somewhat satisfying to me that the U.S. isn't the biggest and the best at everything and we can't bully our way to the finals.

Posted by: Beth in StL at June 23, 2006 9:09 AM

Ahahahahahahaha!!
All right, that's so going on my radio show next week.
Thanks! Forrrrr the (sound byte)... :)

Posted by: martin at June 23, 2006 9:17 AM

I count on YOU to find the losers, Chris. So I've got nothin' this morning.

Posted by: Alison at June 23, 2006 9:28 AM

i'm surprised she didn't strip.

(i'm also surprised the windows didn't crack. and i'm surprised that dude didn't fall off that stool laughing his butt off.)

Posted by: RzDrms at June 23, 2006 9:29 AM

I saw Connie's number when they were making fun of it on The Daily Show. It was one of those "what the hell was she thinking??" moments.

Biggest loser in my world would have to be the MIL, but I can't say why. Loooong story.

Posted by: Kestrel at June 23, 2006 9:30 AM

I don't know if this is really worth "schandenfreude" status, but it cracks me up that Star Jones is on the cover of "The New York Dog" Magazine. Star's pet maltese _is_ in the photo, which legitimizes everything. . . I suppose . . .

Posted by: Betti at June 23, 2006 9:34 AM

Wow... just... wow. I'd seen stills from it earlier in the week, but had no idea it was that... um, spectacular, or I would have watched it before.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at June 23, 2006 9:40 AM

the guy from "Best Week Ever" said about Connie that you gotta admire her for being willing to go on camera while on those pain killers.

Geez. She may never be taken seriously as a journalist again. I liked her dress though.

But I have to say that Britney is the one who most sincerely embarrassed herself this week. Certainly she's still got money left from her big musical career. Can't she hire someone to advise her on how not to look like complete white trash? Tell her to put some clothes on already and spit out the gum dammit?

It was horrifying. Really.

(PS - Matt said that he asked her if she wanted to spit out the gum and she said "NO")

Posted by: kalisah at June 23, 2006 9:49 AM

But...I rely on YOU to bring me such things.

Posted by: candace at June 23, 2006 10:03 AM

This is pretty good:

I know that television shows get cancelled all the time, but this situation is kind of funny. It's like the network is telling these ladies, "Well, turns out America doesn't think your life is very interesting. Here is actual proof; your life is boring. Sorry."

Posted by: smartjuice at June 23, 2006 10:10 AM

Woah woah, CRAAAAZY Connie!

Posted by: Kristina at June 23, 2006 12:16 PM

When I saw that Chung video I thought it had to be some kind of a sick joke. Who could be so bad at something--yet--take herself so seriously? Maybe she thought it was okay because Bette Midler did it for Carson. I think her name should be Connie Chum. Or...Chump.

Posted by: wordgirl at June 23, 2006 12:40 PM

It's always Dubya. Absolute no brainer. Others are stupid part of the time but have an occasional flash of intelligence.

He's consistently stupid.

Posted by: ann adams at June 23, 2006 12:45 PM

Did you mention the Brittney Spears interview on Dateline from last week? She's a definite candidate. Such a sad sad thing she's become. I just wanted to sit her down, show her how nice wide legged trouser pants can be... and brush her hair. And maybe give her a big hug and tell her that it's not too late to repair her life.

*sigh*

Posted by: Carrisa at June 23, 2006 1:17 PM

Never having watched their show, I'm just hoping it was all some sort of inside joke. Otherwise, my vote is definitely for meth. Maybe it was the lawsuit against him for sexual harassment that put her over the edge?

Other schadenfreude this Friday? Hrm. I don't know if I can pick just one.

Posted by: shelley at June 23, 2006 1:44 PM

Well, I have to agree with Ann---it normally is Dubya in my book, but this week Sadam gets the Schadenfreude award for ending his hunger strike after he missed lunch that day...he is drama with a capital D and stupidity with a BIG fat S!

Posted by: Michelle at June 23, 2006 1:49 PM

OMFG.

If I didn't know better I'd have guessed spoof - but even spoofs attempt to retain SOME dignity for the performers.

Shudder....

Woah.

Posted by: Greg at June 23, 2006 3:19 PM

Wow.

That was painful.

Posted by: Elaine at June 23, 2006 5:20 PM

I saw a clip of Connie singing on The Daily Show the other night. It's amazing how many people don't seem to mind embarrassing themselves on national television. Even though I don't have any specific examples, undoubtedly, Bush has done something beyond stupid this week. My vote for Bush also stems from a renewed hatred for him after watching two documentaries over the last week. Unprecedented and Bush's Brain for those of you who feel like snuggling up with a nice pint of ice cream and depressing the hell out of yourselves for a couple of hours. Great fun!

Posted by: kim at June 23, 2006 8:56 PM

Definitely Connie--good one.
In Canada, Tori Spelling made a complete ass out of herself bashing her husband's ex on national TV. It was ridiculous. :)

Posted by: haley-o at June 23, 2006 10:18 PM

My vote goes to the House Panel that has nothing better to do then figure out how to save our youth from video games like Grand Theft Auto.

Gay marriage? Video games? Minimum wage? These people should all be fired...

2nd place goes to Brittney and Matt Lauer, Angelina and Cooper Anderson.

I'm ashamed for all these people...

Dr. Lundy says I should just sit here and find my happy place until my meds kick in.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at June 24, 2006 12:31 AM

I was going to say them but you beat me to it. The only thing that would have been better is if she'd fallen off the piano. Classic!

Posted by: Venting Mama at June 24, 2006 7:56 AM

I saw that as I was walking through the breakroom at work

I must say
I am now scarred
deeply
so wrong on so may different levels

Posted by: Casey at June 24, 2006 11:17 AM

OK. Now that was weird.

My vote goes to Budweiser and people wearing orange pants! Why?

"Dutch fans are being handed orange shorts to watch the Argentina World Cup match if they wear trousers promoting a beer which is not the official sponsor"

We live in a silly world.

Posted by: Sweety at June 24, 2006 4:32 PM