July 24, 2006

Birthdays and CDs

It’s been a big weekend, and one rife with technical difficulties so my apologies if I give a less-than-thorough report or leave any loose ends hanging in the breeze.

First, and most important, was the First Annual Celebration of Mia’s Birthday commemorating the day of Mia’s great gynecological escape from the womb and entry into the big old world. Short and sweet? It was a hit. We worked our asses off (and by we, I mean mostly Beth) on Friday and Saturday morning prepping. Family started to arrive around 11:00 on the heels of a nice long Mia nap. She was a little put off by all the people at first but she started showing off in no time. The only things she had lingering doubts about were the balloons. There were plenty of presents, a great deal of attention, heavy and somewhat blinding doses of flash photography, a lot of fun and a bit of cake too.

I can think of no better way to spend a day than celebrating my daughter’s entry into the world. I try to do it every day. But there’s not always cake handy to smear on her face.

more on flickr

Now, the other topic to which I need to bring a little closure is the Mixed CD Multiple Choice Extravaganza. I know I turned some of you off by making it sound like there’d be a lot of work involved. And I know the fact that there were originally 15 questions didn’t help. I whittled them down to a nice, odd seven and here are the results.

What’s a Grover dinner? There’s very rarely any logic behind the crap I come up with at 33. Why would you expect there to be any surrounding something I made up as a kid. A Grover dinner is a term I used to describe a meal composed of all sorts of things that probably didn’t go together. I’m happy to say that my wife uses the term now and several times a month we partake in a Grover meal. Try it. It’s fun.

My favorite band? Genesis. Yeah, I’ll admit that I’m a huge Genesis fan. It’s dorky and totally uncool and I’m fine with that. Although I will say that I’m primarily a fan of their more challenging 70’s output, prior to the invention of the Phil Collins Hit Machine.

Jon Cryer, baby. Yep, I’m most commonly told I look like Jon Cryer. Even getting my hair cut the other day, one of the stylists walked over and said, “hey, you look like Duckie.” I said thanks. And I think I meant it.

Despite my religious belief, I’m clergy, folks. Yep. That’s right. I don’t have a degree in religion nor do I have 27 Bibles. I’m a minister. Ordained, with a certificate to prove it. Sure, I got it on the Internet but it’s real. I’m a man of the cloth. Go figure.

If asked to provide the title of the best movie ever made, I’d nominate Barry Levinson’s Avalon. It is the finest film I have ever seen. But if asked about my favorite, my guiltiest pleasure? Logan’s Run. It’s 1970’s sci-fi cheesy goodness and it never gets old.

In the great boxers or briefs debate, I come down wholeheartedly on the side of boxers. ‘Nuff said.

The name of my first band was, of course, Rude Cactus.

So, there you have it. The verdict? None of you answered all the questions correctly. As a matter of fact, I don’t believe anyone got more than five of the seven answers correct. It wouldn’t be fun, however, if no one walked away with the trademark Rude Cactus Musical Swag. So CDs to all the folks who got five out of seven right as well as the kind people who humored me answering all fifteen original questions. Congratulations to Jen, Hannah, Mrs. Q, Elaine, Linda, Suze, Shash, unixlass, JJ, Kate, Jennifer, Michelle, Corinne, Nic, Dawn, Sue and Amber.

Congrats to all. Please send me your addresses and I'll try to get these out as soon as I can!

Posted by Chris at July 24, 2006 7:19 AM
Comments

Happy (belated) birthday to Mia! How time flies! (Cliché, but SO true!)

Lovely pictures, as always! Your girls are so pretty! I LOVE the one of mia with the chocolate face. Adorable!

Posted by: Mieneke at July 24, 2006 7:37 AM

Glad the party was a hit. Everyone looks like they had a blast, most importantly, the birthday girl.

Posted by: Alissa at July 24, 2006 7:57 AM

Oh, God. The cutness kills!

One already... It went so fast.

Posted by: Emily at July 24, 2006 8:07 AM

Happy 1st birthday to one of the true stars of the blogosphere. (I once produced an MTV audition video for my friend to go on tour with Genesis as a correspondent. We made it to the final five; the finalist tapes were given to the band to pick the winner. Some nerdy dude got picked. I always thought the band wives nixed the idea of my hot blonde best friend going on the road with the band and that was why she lost. Great prizes, too, for both of us...flight to Europe on the Concorde...two weeks in Paris...5 grand.) :)

Posted by: Marilyn at July 24, 2006 8:20 AM

Happy Birthday to Mia, she's so beautiful!

Posted by: A.K. at July 24, 2006 8:22 AM

Belated Happy Birthday to Mia!!!!!!!! My rugrat turned 11 months yesterday, so I'm full into the First Birthday planning (read that hair-ripping). I was hoping to see a traditional one-year-old-dives-into-the-cake shot, maybe I have to shoot over to flickr for that?

Posted by: HR Mommy at July 24, 2006 8:35 AM

Love the birthday pictures! I have to say cake up the nose is the best way to eat it ^_^ Looks like ya'll had a splendid time!! Is it horrible to say that I think I like your family more than mine? LOL... HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY MIA BEAN! :)

Posted by: Michelle at July 24, 2006 8:46 AM

I love the expression on her face in the picture where she's smeared with cake. She looks so, so satisfied. Looks like the party was a success!

Posted by: Fraulein N at July 24, 2006 8:56 AM

It seems like yesterday we awaited news that Mia had arrived....the party looks like much fun was had...HAPPY B-DAY MIA BEAN!

Posted by: jennifer at July 24, 2006 8:57 AM

Is she sticking her finger up your nose in one of those pics? LOL! Looks like it was a great day. Happy Birthday Mia!

Posted by: E :) at July 24, 2006 9:12 AM

So very, very, very much cuteness. She looks so tickled with herself, too, when she's trying to pick your nose. Kids are strange little monkeys.

Woohoo! RudeCactus musical swag for me!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at July 24, 2006 9:31 AM

Congrats on surviving the first year! See, I knew you two could do it all along. Thanks for sharing it all with us! Oh, and happy birthday, Mia!

Posted by: ironic1 at July 24, 2006 10:08 AM

It is hard to believe it has been a year since The Bean entered the world. And she is so beautiful and starting to look like a little girl, and not so much a little baby! These moments go by so fast, but it is wonderful to see how much you cherish each and every day! Happy First B-day Miss Mia!!!

Posted by: Snickrsnack Katie at July 24, 2006 10:18 AM

Yep, you do look like Duckie. But you have a beautiful wife and daughter! (That pic of Beth holding Mia is amazing.) Glad Mia's birthday was a hit.

Posted by: Heather at July 24, 2006 10:29 AM

Happy Belated 1st Birthday Mia! Aren't you lucky to have such awesome parents :)

Posted by: laura at July 24, 2006 10:47 AM

NOTHING dorky at all about liking Genesis, as they are my second favorite band. (Says the dorky girl)

Posted by: RSM at July 24, 2006 11:09 AM

I'm glad you and your family had a great time with the birthday festivities. Your girls look so beautiful!!! Off to check out the rest of the shots at Flickr.

Posted by: Kate at July 24, 2006 11:16 AM

Glad it was a fun time. Is that as messy as she got with her cake???
One of these days I will win one of those cds!

Posted by: Traci at July 24, 2006 11:18 AM

I like the term "Grover Dinner" - we do that a lot, our most frequent being popcorn followed by a dessert of ice cream. We usually call that the "Lazy Dinner" though.

Posted by: Jessie at July 24, 2006 11:20 AM

The pictures are beautiful, as always. Congratulations on making it through the first year!

Oh, and yay, me!

Posted by: Jen at July 24, 2006 11:28 AM

A lot of Grover dinners here; especially with our temps still between 105 and 112.

Aand now I know where your name comes from.

Pics are adorable and I'm glad she didn't get scared on her own special day. Not enough cake smeared on though.

Posted by: ann adams at July 24, 2006 11:30 AM

Happy Birthday, Mia!

Your note to her, "One", was incredibly sweet. It must seem that time is just flying by.

Posted by: Janet at July 24, 2006 12:39 PM

Dude, Genisis is sooo my favorite band. "Ha ha, heh, uhhh". Best. Chorus. Ever.

Posted by: mr lady at July 24, 2006 1:37 PM

And so, of course, I spell it wrong.

I type one handed, you know.

Posted by: mr. lady at July 24, 2006 1:37 PM

And so, of course, I spell it wrong.

I type one handed, you know.

Posted by: mr. lady at July 24, 2006 1:38 PM

First off, are you growing a mullet? That photo looks sort of...suspect.

Second, I always said that, in an effort to keep my wedding as small as possible, I was just going to have a friend get ordained on the internets and perform the service, so now I just have to make sure I invite you and Beth and I'm covered, eh?

Happy Birthday Mia! (Beth looked HOT by the way)

Posted by: ku nkiko at July 24, 2006 1:50 PM

Sounds like it was a great birthday party! We have ours on Friday evening, the day of Joey's birthday, and on Saturday afternoon--that's the one with all her friends...well, most of her friends...I narrowed (*cough cough*) the list down to 18 babies....Wish me luck!

Posted by: haley-o at July 24, 2006 1:54 PM

"gynecological escape"

You could work this into more stuff!!

Posted by: chantel at July 24, 2006 2:12 PM

Didn't they let Joey from Friends become an ordained minister? What made you do that? DO you want to marry someone?

Posted by: Melissa at July 24, 2006 2:45 PM

Gee, I thought my husband was the only guy who liked old Genesis...

You take most excellent pictures.
Congrats on being a Dad for a year! It only gets better!

Posted by: Sharri at July 24, 2006 3:24 PM

Avalon's not my favorite Levinson flick (Tin Men is), but it does have that great phone exchange:

[Jewish] Dad: Put the Fuhrer on the phone.
Son [dressed as Hitler]: Ja?

Posted by: Mark at July 24, 2006 3:34 PM

Happy Birthday to the Bean. Motherhood looks fabulous on Beth by the way.

Every dinner I make could be considered a Grover dinner, I haven't quite mastered what veggies go best with what. Doesn't really matter, hubby drinks Chocolate milk with whatever I make, so who cares.

Posted by: Jazzy at July 24, 2006 3:56 PM

I love the collage. Beautiful! Happy Birthday again to Mia Bean!
Love,
Granny Princess

Posted by: Maribeth at July 24, 2006 3:59 PM

I know this is late Mia, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I can't believe she is ONE. WOW.

Posted by: Michelle at July 24, 2006 4:32 PM

Glad Mia's b-day was a hit! :-)

Posted by: Ginny at July 24, 2006 7:00 PM

Happy belated bday Mia!! I'm sure the cake was the best part!!!

Posted by: kristied at July 24, 2006 9:51 PM

I still stand behind my idea of some kind of raffle.

Great pics of the birthday! What a sweet girl.

You and my husband and the Genesis. I don't get it. You have to be stoned to like that stuff.

Posted by: Debbie at July 24, 2006 10:17 PM

Damn, I never got around to the quiz. I didn't have time to do it when I first read it and I never got back to it. I'll win a CD one of these days.

I'm so glad to hear Mia had a great first birthday. The pictures are fabulous as always - I particularly like the one where Mia has her thumb up your nose!

Posted by: Beth in StL at July 24, 2006 10:20 PM

Wow Time has flown. Happy Birthday beautiful Mia. And congrats for surviving your first year of parenthood. And Beth's hair looks fab. So envious.

Posted by: Lisa B at July 24, 2006 11:32 PM

I have been wishing Mia a telepathic Happy Birthday but just realized, three days later, I never officially said "Happy Birthday" or "Bon Anniversaire!" Such a beautiful child!

And? w00t on winning more cactus tunes!!! Go me!

Posted by: Ms. Q at July 25, 2006 12:25 PM

Aw! Happy birthday Mia! I started reading your blog when you first posted about her birth :).

Posted by: betty at July 25, 2006 3:16 PM

Oh sonofabitch. I unplug for four freaking days and you go giving shit away like it's a fucking Rude Cactus Christmas!

That'll learn me to leave my laptop at home.

Posted by: Brad at July 26, 2006 1:50 PM

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO MIA!! Okay, when did she start walking? I missed that post!

Posted by: mrs mogul at July 26, 2006 2:48 PM