July 4, 2006

National Blow-Up Stuff Day!

Happy Fourth of July! Or, for those of you in other countries, Happy Tuesday! Remember - beer good, fire bad, and you're expected to end the day with all your digits and appendages intact. So be careful and have fun.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be sleeping all day. Why? Because I have this feeling that it's going to take a long, long time getting Mia to sleep tonight with stuff exploding everywhere. Whoever came up with the bombs bursting in air bit clearly didn't have any kids.

Posted by Chris at July 4, 2006 7:40 AM
Comments

happy 4th!!! *&^^%%$ to me being awake this early. I blame the tylenol sinus. lol But hey, at least I can breathe right? And sleep on the beach. :)

Posted by: Amy at July 4, 2006 8:39 AM

Happy 4tha to you. I'm with Mia - fireworks just keep me awake. And upset my cat.

Posted by: cas at July 4, 2006 8:56 AM

Happy 4th!

Enjoy your sleep. B slept right through the traditional annoying-neighbor 3rd of July fireworks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at July 4, 2006 9:44 AM

Happy 4th, Chris! Good luck tonight. We have air conditioners so that helps a lot.

Love the ponytails by the way. If they ever make another Dr. Suess movie you could totally get cast in it. As long as you wear the ponytails. :)

Posted by: kris at July 4, 2006 9:53 AM

Happy 4th!! We don't celebrate it here, but for the record, I would be more than willing to accomadate another holiday ;)

Posted by: Sara at July 4, 2006 10:04 AM

I wish to you a Happy Independence Day!
Happy Birthday America, Happy 4th of July!!!
I hope you all enjoy your Celebrations!

Posted by: Sonia at July 4, 2006 10:22 AM

Happy 4th, good luck with the whole sleep thing. We're finally to the point where the 2 older ones aren't scared anymore. In fact, we went to see some fireworks on Saturday.. and my 6 year old slept through them. The 5 year old has never been afraid of them, and the 2 year old just says "WOW! Waaats Dat?"

Posted by: molly at July 4, 2006 10:23 AM

Two years ago we stayed with relatives for the 4th. Their neighbors lit off bottle rockets and M-80's until 2 a.m., my 2 year old was terrified.

My husband went out to tell the teenagers to mellow out, and it turns out it was men in their 40's. Bastards. They didn't stop either.

Posted by: Lisa V at July 4, 2006 10:26 AM

Posted by: Lisa V at July 4, 2006 10:26 AM

Clearly, they didn't have dogs, either. It's going to be a looonnnggg night.

Posted by: Jen at July 4, 2006 10:50 AM

Well, hopefully if Mia isn't awake she doesn't pee on the couch. I live four blocks from the big display and the dogs are going outside in the fenced yard this year. I don't care what the experts say about keeping pets indoors on the 4th - my couches are going to be clean this year dammit!

Posted by: Heather at July 4, 2006 10:57 AM

yup... happy tuesday sounds about like it :)
enjoy!

Posted by: stinkerbell at July 4, 2006 11:36 AM

Minority here. Mine all love fireworks so I'll be carting them all to the next town down (better fireworks) and bringing them back here to watch the adults put on a small display on our street.

We went last night to watch a ground display put on the local high school marching ground.

Posted by: ann adams at July 4, 2006 11:37 AM

Happy 4th of July to you and yours as well. I'm off to stuff myself with pig lips and hooves and watermelon until I can't move off the couch ... and maybe blow a few things up along the way as well. Hope it ain't the kids or my car!
Tommy

Posted by: Tommy Gunn at July 4, 2006 11:38 AM

"Whoever came up with the bombs bursting in air bit clearly didn't have any kids."

Or pets.

My poor puppy was TERRIFIED last year because of damned fireworks going off at all hours. It ended up with me sleeping on the pull down bed downstairs to calm him down, and even that didn't work very well.

He was too young at the time to take any sedatives to ease his fear and panic caused by the noise. He can this year, but now he's allowed upstairs with me it might not be so bad; the air vent in the living room amplified the noise to an astounding rate.

Personally I think that bar Nov 5th and New Years fireworks should be BANNED. And on the stated days only official displays be allowed to take place. That way it helps reduce the damage to wildlife/animals/child sleeping patterns AND helps to reduce personal injuries:

Win win!

- Ok, bet I sound like a real kill joy, but honestly, we get it from as early as the end of September on and off, constantly throughout November and then on and off again throughout December, and it just makes my blood BOIL when I recall how scared my poor trembling Bingo was night after night, and how it must have similarly affected so many others...

...A-hem! End rant.

Posted by: Alice at July 4, 2006 12:17 PM

That is exactly right. I'm hoping my kids are old enough now that they won't run away screaming like in years past. My youngest is 5 so there is hope. Happy 4th to you and yours.

Posted by: Venting Mama at July 4, 2006 12:40 PM

Last night my son was up until midnight because some morons in the subdivision next to us were setting off fireworks until then. Grrrr. So yes, I know exactly what you mean!

Posted by: Lisa B at July 4, 2006 1:26 PM

Um yeah...I hate the 4th of July and New Year's Eve. Fireworks are illegal here. You have to go over several towns in order to find a legal place to set them off. But, that doesn't stop the morons that live around us. Last night, the idiots behind us (I have over 300 feet of backyard) lit something that exploded near the back of my house and peppered us with dirt. A couple of years back, we weren't home when the next door neighbors started getting stupid with their fireworks and my German Shepherd CHEWED through the metal screening of the security door and clawed the wood veneer off the front door before we got home to let him under the bed.

"Safe and sane" fireworks turn people unsafe and insane!
I can hardly wait for tonight...NOT!
Oh, but Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

Posted by: Jaycie at July 4, 2006 2:19 PM

Happy 4th! I am not looking forward to the noise and the mess that the crowds bring but I do love a good fireworks show and we've got one from our front door.

I would love to take this opportunity to declare independence from insane preznits! How great would it be to kick our new King George out of office and end the war?! Yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

Anyway. Beer - good. I couldn't agree more! Cheers!

Posted by: Ms. Q at July 4, 2006 2:26 PM

My mate is in L.A. on bussiness so it's just me and my son (8). We were going to go to the park and watch them but have opted to spend the money and do it ourselves.

I could live with out the fireworks this year.

Posted by: Michele at July 4, 2006 2:58 PM

Happy 4th of July! I hope Mia sleeps through all the fireworks :)

Posted by: Sweety at July 4, 2006 3:37 PM

Amen to that brotha! My husband and I are U-hum 34 years old with two boys 13 & 4 and I will be damned if last nite the "new" neighbors, 19 year olds didn't keep us and the dog up till lets say 2 ish.. yep, well as I went out side to get make sure th flag was still up, I overheard them ask my other neighbors, "Do you think she will call the cops"? Ok I Feel REAL old now... But I am soooo with ya. Did major sleeping today to be prepared for what ever comes this way! LOCK AND LOAD BABY!!! HAPPY FOURTH TO EVERYONE!!!

Posted by: Jennifer at July 4, 2006 3:48 PM

You guys south of the border seem to get a lot more worked up about the blowing up of stuff, for some reason. It's amusing.
I didn't even think of it, last night at a Karaoke party (whee) I sang Martina McBride's "Independence Day". Good times.

Posted by: Heather at July 4, 2006 5:19 PM

You have a Happy 4th too! :)

Posted by: Mary at July 4, 2006 6:16 PM

Hey Chris,

Happy 4th! I'm about to go up to my roof to see the fireworks on the East River (through the small slits of space between the gazillion buildings surrounding mine!) :)

Posted by: Jill at July 4, 2006 8:44 PM

"Whoever came up with the bombs bursting in air bit clearly didn't have any kids..."

Or dogs.

Posted by: Caryn at July 5, 2006 12:53 PM

Believe it or not, our baby slept through all of it. Maybe because I was so freaked out that he wouldn't!

Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. I'm glad!

Posted by: Isabel at July 5, 2006 3:02 PM

Happy 4th a little late! :)

Posted by: Dana at July 5, 2006 8:28 PM

Blow up stuff? You mean like how the neighbors across the street were shooting their bottle rockets across the street and over our house... Like, "blow up our house?" Well, they didn't but I wasn't feeling to good about the whole placement of our house in proximity to theirs last night...

Posted by: Amy at July 6, 2006 12:55 AM

Happy belated fourth to you!

Posted by: Ginny at July 6, 2006 10:56 AM