August 28, 2006

Summer Memories

Shhhh! Listen for a second. Did you hear that? It was the sound of another weekend popping out of existence...way too quickly.

This weekend, like most of them, was busy. Very busy. Let's see. There was playing, eating, more playing, a little bit of sleeping and, oh, some more playing. Remember when I sliced through our cable while trimming hedges? I finally got around to fixing that - TiVo needs to be able to record two channels at a time with the approaching television season. Then there was the water leak in the basement. That was fun. Of course, we had to swim a little before the pool closes for the season (how did the summer fly by that quickly?)...oh, and some CD burning for those of you expecting a CD from me this century. But my favorite part was the popsicle.

...more on flickr...

I've always considered the smell of cut grass, the arrival of the ice cream man, and the smell of chlorine the definitive signatures of summer. I've just added strawberry popsicles to the list.

And you? As summer draws to a close, what stands out as your favorite memories of the season?

Posted by Chris at August 28, 2006 7:19 AM
Comments

Well since I have yet to enjoy summer, I will report back as soon as I return from my trip to OC MD. I always go the week after Labor Day. It's much cheaper and less crazy...

But your list sounds good.

Posted by: Wicked H at August 28, 2006 7:47 AM

Let's see...I'm going to say the smell of fresh-cut hay always reminds me of my summers as a kid. Those summers when I was free to roam with no responsibilities other than just being a kid.

And just yesterday they baled the field across the street, so I was in heaven!

Mia pics? Adorable, as always.

Posted by: Alissa at August 28, 2006 8:03 AM

All of the things you mentioned...plus the smell of books that you get to read guiltlessly. Barbeque (sorry...I know you don't eat meat). And after an entire summer of 102-plus weather...yesterday's dark skies and rain. The smell was heavenly.

Posted by: wordgirl at August 28, 2006 8:10 AM

well, this is the last morning I can be lazily checking your blog while sipping coffee. Tomorrow morning at this time, I will be at school. I'm a teacher. (I know. I know. Even my husband doesn't feel bad for me.)

Favorite memories of summer? playing with the child outside, swimming, not having plans, and going to the ice cream stand down the street waaay too often.

Posted by: Sharri at August 28, 2006 8:29 AM

Kids and popsicles...there just isn't more cute to be found.

Posted by: daisy at August 28, 2006 8:39 AM

Cicadas and bologna salad sandwiches (yes, I said bologna - it's a Grandma memory thing. Gross but comforting.)

Posted by: Heather at August 28, 2006 8:40 AM

Fireflies and watching movies in the park. Oh, and cursing the fact that I no longer live in Florida.

Posted by: mingaling at August 28, 2006 9:17 AM

I love at how she totally owns that deck chair as well. Aaaaah, the good life!

Posted by: E :) at August 28, 2006 9:23 AM

My favorite scent memory of recent summers has been the fresh green aroma that rises up from my garden as I brush against basil plants while training tomato plants up wooden stakes with twine. Bliss.

Posted by: Betti at August 28, 2006 9:47 AM

I noticed that operation popsicle is done in nothing but a diaper. Coindidence? Heh. I love watching babies eat popsicles. It's one of the little joys in life.

Posted by: statia at August 28, 2006 10:09 AM

My favorite memory of the season was my trip up north with my husband. It was a relaxing week, and I can't wait for our next vacation, because we had so much fun on that one. I think my taste o' the summer is Famega Vino Verde, which is a delicious white wine that I discovered and which I would drink continuously if not for the whole having to function on a daily basis thing.

Posted by: Jessie at August 28, 2006 10:30 AM

One smell that always makes me think of summer is the smell of rain on a hot day. I love the way that smells.

Posted by: Erin at August 28, 2006 10:54 AM

Summer memory - tubing down the Salt River but where I live(AZ) it's pretty much summer until...Novemberish!!

Posted by: ::c:: at August 28, 2006 11:01 AM

Cedar Point with my kids. Watching my son jet ski on the lake for the first time. Seeing my brother make "pudgy pies" for all the children with such skill and speaking to them as though they are truly our future. The smiles on the kids faces. I have those smiles and laughter to get me through the years. Time, smiles and laughter very precious indeed.

Posted by: Jamie at August 28, 2006 11:38 AM

You were so wise to strip her dow for the popsicle. It should always be a full body experience.

Posted by: Annie at August 28, 2006 12:19 PM

now that i am in california, the summer has a whole new scent. And popsicles rule.

i need to get some for the kid. :wink:

Posted by: melanie at August 28, 2006 12:53 PM

ice cold watermelon
sun tea and sweet tea
flip flops or barefeet on the grass
grillin' up dinner

Posted by: Dolly at August 28, 2006 1:13 PM

The sound of kids playing at the lake beach below my house. I love the squeals and giggles and happiness that I can hear through the open windows!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 28, 2006 2:05 PM

Fourth of July Fireworks, Watermelon, Corn on the Cob, and sunset at 8pm. I miss summer already - school started last week. :(

Posted by: Laura at August 28, 2006 2:23 PM

the smell of sunscreen on my kids. it's the smell of summer.

oh my gosh! Mia and that popsicle! holy cuteness.

Posted by: ali at August 28, 2006 2:44 PM

So cute!

Posted by: jen at August 28, 2006 3:06 PM

I love the diapered toddler with the messy popsicle pics! Don't we all have these pictures of our kids?

Posted by: Kelly at August 28, 2006 3:09 PM

Summer of '06:

- Ten days in Michigan with my family
- Going to the beach at least twice a week with Sweet Pea
- Starting Georgia State
- Getting carded for ordering a drink the day after my 38th birthday

Posted by: Stacy at August 28, 2006 3:28 PM

William.

tee-hee.

Posted by: jodi at August 28, 2006 3:29 PM

Tell me about it- weekends go by WAY TOO FAST!

One of my favorite memories of this summer is having my second son, of course!

Posted by: Jess at August 28, 2006 3:38 PM

Adorable pictures, as always! I especially love the, "Talk to the foot" one. :)

One of my favorite memories of the summer is taking weekend roadtrips with Hoop, and that feeling of possibility for the next great adventure.

Posted by: Tink at August 28, 2006 3:43 PM

Old movies in the park and free outdoor concerts downtown are always a fantastic summer memory. Made it to one of each this year.

Posted by: Hannah at August 28, 2006 4:01 PM

Favourite memories of the summer? Well, since my monkey doesn't like popsicles....Vanilla ice cream, our canopied red wagon..., swimming pools, wading pools, the lake....swinging....All of it. Every day of it. Children are the best. Who knew?

Mia is SERIOUSLY adorable! OY OY OY!

Posted by: haley-o at August 28, 2006 4:25 PM

The smell of Copperton sunscreen just IS summer to me. I can't use any other brand because it doesn't smell right! I love the smell of it mixed with salt water at the beach and with chlorine at the pool. My favorite memory specific to this summer would have to be splashing in the waves on Hilton Head Island. I want to move there. I've decided.

Posted by: donna at August 28, 2006 4:30 PM

I love the foot picture, I adore baby feet.

Mine is cut grass, although that happens here all year. But the ocean breeze after a long hot day, watermelon and sunscreen. I adore the smell of sunscreened babies.

Posted by: Melissa at August 28, 2006 6:43 PM

I think it's the twelve hour period when it goes from 50 degrees to 105 in the shade. Yeah ... that's summer! (spring actually but why split hairs) Really though? When the Magnolias, honeysuckle and crepe myrtles bloom. Summer is here for good. Take care Chris. Mia is precious by the way.
Tommy

Posted by: Tommy at August 28, 2006 6:59 PM

I would have to say our trip to Mackinac Island, Michigan! BTW, is she going to kick you in that center shot?

Posted by: Dennis Bullock at August 28, 2006 7:22 PM

Having my family come to visit me for a change will definitely be my favorite memory from this summer.

Posted by: Beth in StL at August 28, 2006 8:00 PM

Ice cream, summer skirts and tank tops, flip-flops, corn on the cob, bbqs, pina coladas.

I love summer.

Posted by: Janet at August 28, 2006 9:14 PM

When the boys were young, playing baseball in the yard ... getting hit where it hurts by a line drive.

Posted by: Bill at August 28, 2006 10:52 PM

Mmmm... the smell of sunscreen and tomato plants. (Because that's what hubby smells like when he comes in from picking veggies in the garden)

(By the way, oh the cuteness)

Posted by: Sassy at August 28, 2006 10:58 PM

watermelon.

Posted by: cmhl at August 29, 2006 7:44 AM

What wonderful pictures. Thanks.

Posted by: cassie-b at August 29, 2006 8:05 AM

i love the pic in the top right corner!

my favorite memory? sitting around the firepit roasting marshmallows.

Posted by: monique at August 29, 2006 8:24 AM

I would not have guessed it but fishing with my 3yr old daughter on the pedal boat at the cottage.
We just sat there and chatted away about ducks and birds and worms and mosquitos. We caught all sorts of seriously small fish... She was still amazed at the 15th fish she caught (probably the same fish all the time)

I'm up north in Canada..so summer is very, very, very appreciated.

Posted by: DavidR at August 29, 2006 5:32 PM

oh, I loved everyone's memories! I didn't have much of a summer this year(I just finished my master's degree last week), but my favorite summer memories of the past include learning how to waterski, the smell of camp (wet sand and pine trees), cool grass on bare feet, blue sno cones, drinking red pop on the swings at the town park, tomato sandwiches, the fresh breeze at the beach, getting an ice cream after our baseball game, the smell of fresh peaches...I could go on and on. Thank you for that moment when I transported myself through about 40 years of time to enjoy many lovely memories!

Mia is getting so grown up and doing experiencing so much exciting kids stuff! (I was always amused at the drippings on my kids bellies!)

Posted by: kristen at August 29, 2006 9:16 PM

The Butch tour...and coming home from it to find a message from GBF :)

Posted by: laura at August 30, 2006 12:27 PM

my son had his first popsicle this weekend. He absolutely loved it. It made a huge mess (we let him hold it, because, well, he insisted)...But fun!

Posted by: kristied at August 30, 2006 2:54 PM

I commented at Beth's but honest to God, the baby covered in strawberry drool is so fantastic.....

Posted by: Emily at August 30, 2006 5:56 PM