September 11, 2006


I don't think I'll ever be able to tell a complete story of that day, avoid stepping all over more eloquent words from others, or find the language to express the sorrow, pain, confusion or the bright blue sky that characterized the day. So this year, I won't try.

I'm taking the week off from work. There was supposed to be a vacation with traveling but due to a few factors, that didn't happen. Instead, I'm hanging out with my girls at home where I should be. Especially on a day like today.

Where were you, when the world changed?

Posted by Chris at September 11, 2006 6:46 AM

I was doing sit-ups on the floor of my old apartment in front of my TV when the breaking news came on. Sat there in that same spot for at least 5 hours.

Vacations at home are sometimes the best ones. Enjoy your week off.

Posted by: rockstar mommy at September 11, 2006 7:26 AM

I was at work, across the bridge from Manhattan. I saw the smoke after the towers collapsed, before they sent us home.

Every year, I write a blog entry about that day. It never seems like the right words, or the right capture of the thoughts I have about that day. But I try, because I feel like I have to.

I couldn't go into work today. I woke up and felt - still feel - nauseous. Can't quite tell if it's a bug or if it's the five years or what.

Posted by: Diz at September 11, 2006 7:28 AM

I was in college. I was a senior and I was in upstate new york. One of the girls on my floor had her father, brother and sister in law died that day. I was so anxious until I was able to talk to my mother (family lives in nyc). I was never able to forget the girl's face when she knocked on my door and said, I think part of my family just died today. I was the RA and all I could do was sit with her and hugged her. I thought that I was living in some kind of horror movie. NYC has never been the same. Please enjoy your time off with the girls, family is the most important priority we have. Send NYC positive vibes we needed the most today.

Posted by: Katherine at September 11, 2006 7:32 AM

I was rushing out the door to work. Just like today. The only difference between then and now is that I'm no longer naive enough to think that things like this can't happen.

Posted by: Contrary at September 11, 2006 7:44 AM

I was getting ready for class, and I logged on AIM, to see my friends away message, "Turn on the news, any station"... I tried to log into, and couldn't, so I went downstairs and turned on the TV, just in time to see the second plane hit. I sat there for hours, trying to wrap my mind around what was happening. I went to class later, and we just sat there in class, talking about what happened... I rememember the eeriest part for me was that there were no planes flying overhead that week... and I'd look up to the sky, and just remember... I also remember the first plane I saw flying overhead...

Posted by: Corinne at September 11, 2006 7:50 AM

I was sitting on the couch, holding my 7-week-old sleeping son, when they broke into a rerun of Little House on the Prairie with the news. We spent most of the rest of the day in the same spot, watching the coverage and talking on the phone to faraway family and friends.

Posted by: Alissa at September 11, 2006 7:52 AM

I was driving to work in NJ, wondering what all the smoke in the sky ahead was, feeling helpless, terrified and confused. How could this happen in our free country. Today I don't feel helpless, terrified or confused, just sad.

Enjoy your time at home with the girls!

Posted by: Danielle at September 11, 2006 7:54 AM

I was working at a university in Michigan. I wandered in to the student lounge and someone said, "Can you believe this??? Someone flew an airplane into the world trade center!" To which I replied, "Shut up! How could a little plane get in to that air space without being detected?!"

I joined a group of 30 people (staff and students alike) with jaws agape as we saw the second tower get hit--by a BIG plane. Smoke. People hanging out of windows. People running with handkerchiefs over their mouths. Heaps of materials.

I got home that night and sat in front of the tv feeling horribly guilty that my lift wasn't effected, and feeling such deep sadness for the peoples' lives that were.

I now travel regularly to NYC and every time I fly into LaGuardia I see the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan in the same view out my window and realize the statement that it now really makes.

Posted by: kristen at September 11, 2006 7:54 AM

I was trying to make my schedule at work. I was very frustrated trying to fit my time into the regular classroom teachers' schedules. In fact, I was ready to scream, cry, run from the building telling them I QUIT I QUIT I QUIT! because it was such a pain in the ass. Then they broke through the radio broadcast with the news. I immediately ran to the media center, where there was a TV. I turned it on and sat and watched in horror. Suddenly, my little snafu with scheduling was just that: LITTLE.

I'll *never* forget what I was wearing, how much I weighed, what I was doing when I found out and what I did for the rest of the day.

And to think that the closest I came to being connected to the entire tragedy (aside from being an American), is that I had a cousin who was working in one of the surrounding AmEx buildings. They felt the rumble from the first plane and his manager told them to get the hell out, he didn't care what it was, they were going. Thank God they did.

I still can't get my thoughts together, and I'm not as close to it all like a lot more people are...

Posted by: ironic1 at September 11, 2006 8:08 AM

I was in yoga class at college (my gym credit) and we would listen to the radio as we did our stretches. I remember the channel being interrupted, telling us that the world trade center had been hit by a plane. I remember feeling dumbfounded, like it was something out of a movie, it was so surreal. Trying to leave the college was so scary, cars were bumper to bumper and I just wanted to get out of there. I felt helpless. And just as 'Contrary' said, I to this day am no longer naive to think this could never happen to us, again. My thoughts and prayers go to all those lost, those who lost a loved one and to everyone that lost a little piece of their lives on 9/11, regardless if they were in NYC or not. I think we all lost a little something that day.

Posted by: Michelle at September 11, 2006 8:09 AM

I walked into work to find everyone standing around the TV set after the first plane hit. I was watching live when the second one hit. My first reaction was anger because we were supposed to have an event that night that I'd spent months working on. It wasn't unitl the next day that the full impact of the previous day hit me. It's strange how our minds cope.

My favorite vacation is staying at home with the family.

Posted by: Wendy at September 11, 2006 8:10 AM

I was driving to work listening to Howard Stern. He was talking about a plane crashing into the WTC and I figured it was just a joke -- you know how Stern is. I didn't take it seriously. I got into work and realized it was true, the second plane had just hit and we turned on the television and just kind of gaped at it for a while.

And that's when the world got really scary.

Posted by: mamatulip at September 11, 2006 8:13 AM

In front of the t.v. in total disbelief. Here's what I said on the blog around midnight last night:

I've read many beautiful tributes over the past few days and I've been trying to put something together that would do justice to this anniversary. I keep hitting a blank wall and finally decided to remain almost silent.

I kept the girls out of school on September 11, 2001. Not out of fear but because I wanted them close to me. Family seemed more important than ever that day and I wanted what they heard to come from me.

We talked about the twin towers and the destruction a little today. We said a prayer for the families and for peace.

I'm going to leave it at that and leave you with this:

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

Posted by: ann adams at September 11, 2006 8:15 AM

Packing for a trip to New York, if you can believe it. A familiy wedding. My brother-in-law was in a meeting in Manhattan, but was not near enough to the towers to be in danger. Another friend was similarly unhurt, but she wasn't allowed back in her TriBeCa apartment for awhile.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 11, 2006 8:23 AM

I was at work and my asshole boss at the time still thought we should be leaving for our meeting in Baltimore. Needless to say we didn't go as they had a sister office in the 2nd Tower and the Baltimore Branch closed that morning.

Can you imagine the world is in terror and he is worried about a freaking meeting?

Posted by: DMM at September 11, 2006 8:25 AM

I was actually on time for class that day. The professor had a TV in our Holocaust classroom, we were watching the documentary Shoah. As people came into class, they started telling us about the news, and we turned on the TV, catching a fuzzy, black and white signal. I'll never forget how our professor immediately knew what it was - terrorism, and he said, "This will change everything."

And it did.

Posted by: samantha at September 11, 2006 8:27 AM

I'm not going to attempt to write anything about this day on my own blog. I think what needs to be said already has been. Also, for some reason, I don't feel like I was close enough (literally or figuratively) to what happened to have the right to write about it.

I do remember I was still working at the Art Museum, and someone happened to have their radio on. When we heard about the first plane making impact we thought it was a horrible accident. Then the second plane hit. And it was more like a horrible fiction. They hemmed and hawed and sent us all home. I remember people thinking that we could be next...

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 11, 2006 8:41 AM

I was in the shower. Hubby came and got me out. My entry today, tells that story.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 11, 2006 8:45 AM

We were living in Arizona, and I was up eating breakfast. I knew my husbands father (who he hadn't talked to in years) worked in Manhattan, but wasn't sure where. I woke my husband still not comprehending what was really going on.

My husband got up and instantly knew what was going on. We cried, we would not leave each others side the whole day.

He and his father patched things up a few months later.

Posted by: Jen, South Florida at September 11, 2006 9:11 AM

i was a sophomore in college, on my way back from class, when all the sudden one of the landscapers working on the lawn took off his radio headphones and started screaming, "we're under attack...the United States is under attack!"

Posted by: steph at September 11, 2006 9:12 AM

I was in France. More specifically, I was in the car when I heard the news. I'll probably blog about it in a little while.

Have a good week off!

Posted by: Alison at September 11, 2006 9:13 AM

just got to work when the news broke of the first tower being struck. I remember it was just me and my boss that morning, trying to get news off the internet - everything was hosed. Then a bunch of people gathered in our work gym to watch the details unfold on the television, we literally watched the second plane hit the tower live, it was unreal. Then that night I remember my university cancelling classes etc., it was a very quiet day.

Posted by: E at September 11, 2006 9:24 AM

I was a sophomore in college with the easiest Tuesday schedule ever. I didn't have class until my Algorithms Lab at 1pm. So, I was sleeping in. My mom called my cell phone which woke me up. For some reason I felt like turning on the tv to watch the news. I have no idea why. I hate the tv news! Just then a friend of mine came in and told me about what had happened.

I checked my cell phone messages. My mom had left me a message letting me know that my sister (who worked at the time for a Cultural Council which was located in the World Trade Center Plaza) was ok. Her husband was ok.

I spent the rest of the day trying to get a phone call through to NYC so that I could talk to my sister.

Posted by: Hope at September 11, 2006 9:24 AM

I was in my high school history class learning about Teddy Roosevelt and the Square Deal. (I still have my class notes from that day.) another history teacher came in, told our teacher what happened, and our teacher then told the news to us.

Posted by: Denise at September 11, 2006 9:30 AM

I was here
I don't think I'll ever forget.

Enjoy your time off with the family!

Posted by: Kelly at September 11, 2006 9:37 AM

I was sleeping off my last midnight shift ( of four) and was woken a little early by my sister - then my in-home babysitter - and was only annoyed with her for like three seconds. We sat stunned together, staring at the television, intil the Bookworm got off the bus, wanting to know why her bus was so empty. At six she didn't yet get why so many parents had defied local school board and police orders to leave the kids in school. It was not fun explaining everything to her later, but watching her pack sock/water bags for ground zero(NY) she filled with the proceeds of her lemonade stand the following weekend was truly humbling.
As a 911 operator, I was a mess at work (Edison PD/FD/EMS). It was tough at work, and sitting in on the debriefs of returning 'lender' rescuers as they came off shift from NYC was difficult, but I still CANNOT imagine the grief of those whose loved ones did not return.

5 years later it still makes me melt into tears.

Posted by: cristin in NJ at September 11, 2006 9:39 AM

I was in the middle of language school in Copenhagen, Denmark. One minute I am conjugating Danish verbs and the next we are staring at the Danish Police. The teacher, headmaster, and the police seemed to talk for quite some time (non of us had any idea what they were saying, except for New York)... All Americans were then to stand up, collect there things, and pick up the next days assignment. I was then escorted to my host families house.

I saw the planes hit and that was pretty much it. I could not watch any more, and still have not seen the whole thing happen. I would personally like to keep it that way. My host family was great. I was able to sit on hold for a whole hour (after attempting to call for at least two)trying to get a line into the States.

Other than my mother demanding I head home immediately... All was well with my family... Thankfully I won the argument and was able to stay in Denmark for almost two years. I had a wonderful time there, and would reccomend it to everyone. The people are wonderful (I return once a year to get my fill of my "other" families, food, and company).

Have a great vacation!!

Posted by: Jennie at September 11, 2006 10:08 AM

TechDad and I were still in bed. I was waking up to get ready to go to work, when I heard the news coverage that the first plane had hit. I was watching the repeats on that when the second one hit, and everyone realized it wasn't an accident.

I went in to work (in a high-rise, downtown), and was the only one in my office who showed up. My boss called and had me change everybody's voicemail to say the office was closed, and I got on the train home. I got there in time to watch the towers collapse.

We went to a friend's house for a BBQ that afternoon, as we needed something positive to focus on for a while.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at September 11, 2006 10:18 AM

I was at work in Ohio, in a building without cable TV. The entire office worked the whole day listening to the radio on the intercom system. We would check online for still pictures everyonce in a while, as I don't think anyone in our office knew how to use "streaming video." I didn't actually see the full extent of the drama until I got home that night. I just remember learning that the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania had traveled directly over our airspace, which really was weird.

I remember I had taken a few days off a few days later, to have an at home vacation. We went to the zoo, and it was fabulous to be surrounded by the animals who had no idea what had happened. Weird, huh?

Posted by: SpaceCase at September 11, 2006 10:19 AM

I was in class, and we were getting annoyed at all the noise in the hallway. Then, when class was over, I went out into the hall and they had televisions set up everywhere possible. I went to my next class, and there was a note that it was cancelled, so I went to the student lounge to watch the news coverage. I sat down just as the second plane hit the towers. I went home and tried to call my mom to see if my aunt, who lives in NYC, was okay, but all the lines were jammed. So I sat and watched in horror, the events of the day. And that's all I did all day - sat and watched the news coverage. For me that's amazing because I don't sit still for more than 10 minutes at a time. But that day I was so shocked that I sat for more than 12 hours.

Posted by: Jessie at September 11, 2006 10:26 AM

I watched it all live from Australia. I got home late from work that night and was watching the late night news from Australia when the breaking news came through. I didn't sleep that night, especially when I heard that the Pentagon had been hit - I had a cousin working there and we didn't know if he were alive. Turns out his section was hit but apparently he'd left just a few moments earlier for a meeting in another part of the building. We didn't know if he was alive for 24 hours after the attack.

I don't think I slept for two days after that. I guess I'll blog about it because it's a long story to tell.

Posted by: E :) at September 11, 2006 10:31 AM

I was watching Good Morning America just before leaving for work. I actually saw the second plane hit the tower. Stunned, we made our way to work to later find out we were in lock-down. All the way in Saskatchewan - in some ways it just seems like yesterday.

Have a great vacation. I try to always do a week vacation at home.

Posted by: Jodi at September 11, 2006 10:36 AM

A junior in college, I was getting ready for my second day of classes at the University of Denver (must have been around 7 or 7:30 am Mountain Time). I turned on the radio in my bathroom and there was nothing but coverage about something that had happened in NYC. I went to my 9 am class and after about 10 minutes, our professor let us go. Classes were cancelled for the rest of the day. I went home and woke up my roommate, who was still sleeping at 10 am, and she hadn't heard anything about it yet. We sat on the couch with our roommates and watched the coverage on TV.

Posted by: Liz at September 11, 2006 10:46 AM

I was at work in Boston. Saw everything live on my coworkers tiny black and white portable television. The absolute enormity of it didn't really hit me until later that evening. It was too stunning. The oddest thing was walking around Salem that night and not hearing the many planes that are usually flying overhead towards Logan, but instead hearing fighter jets every once in a while. It was so eerily quiet.

Posted by: Jenn at September 11, 2006 10:48 AM

I was asleep because I had a cold, my ex-husband called our house to see if we knew. I just remember holding my son in my arms thinking the world was going to end.

Posted by: Michele at September 11, 2006 10:56 AM

I was calling my mom to wish her happy birthday. Her birthdays haven't quite been the same since. That's a beautiful photo collage.

Posted by: SMIT at September 11, 2006 11:31 AM

i was at home, watching tv, with my 6 month old Emily by my side. what a crazy, crazy day,

enjoy your vacation!

Posted by: ali at September 11, 2006 11:47 AM

I was at work, no radio, but one of the guys went into my bosses office and I heard him telling him that the tower had been hit. We pulled the tv out and set it up, I was still thinking that it was an accident. We watched the 2nd plane hit, and the towers collapse. I just remember the sick feeling when I heard about the Pentagon being hit, since my then boyfriend, now husband works for FDIC. It took him ALL DAY to get home from DC to Woodbridge VA. I left work, cried the whole way home in my car on the way to get my kids from school.

I still cry every year. The kids were young, but they still understood the impact this would have on their lives.

Enjoy your time at home...

Posted by: Karen at September 11, 2006 11:51 AM

I was in Laguna Beach getting ready for work when my husband called me from his car and said to turn on the TV. I went into shock and confusion (I am rarely confused so it was very upsetting to me). I watched tv a while then left for work. All the way to the office I was on the phone with my husband and we both cried and cried and tried to makes sense of it. I was glued to the news for the rest of the day at work and then went to class that night. I felt like nothing would ever be normal or the same again. I think I spent the next two days just sitting on the beach staring out into the Pacific Ocean and feeling very small, confused and scared. I remember how quiet it was with no planes.

I am sad that things have gone back to normal here. Not completely normal for me, but it feels like mundanacity has set in and "what am I going to wear today" has taken on its old importance. I don't want another tragedy again, but I miss the sense of community and the overwhelming sense of humanity that we felt in the days and weeks following 9/11. Now my son is in Kuwait and I want to feel like we are all together in this and that everyone supports everyone equally but that is not the case.

I hope we never forget at least the way we all cared about each other that day.

Posted by: Ms. Q at September 11, 2006 11:52 AM

i was at school, logged on to instant messenger with a friend. the rest of the day was a blur of activity, shock and tears.

four days later, when i saw a plane in a gorgeous blue sky, i cried some more.

Posted by: suze at September 11, 2006 12:21 PM

I was just waking up for work in the San Francisco area. The first words I heard were the DJ saying "It's a nightmare out there" and I thought he was talking about the commute, but then I heard something about the airport being closed. I turned on the TV and the first tower had just begun to fall. The second tower fell while I was in the shower.

On my drive to work there was a section of road where on a clear day you can see the Golden Gate Bridge off to the left and straight in front of you as you drive down the hill is the approach for the airport. The sky looked... wrong. There were no planes, and I'd never in my 25 years seen a sky so bare.

We weren't allowed to use messenger programs at work, but I didn't care, launched AIM and messaged friends in DC and Pennsylvania with "I know things are crazy, but please tell me you are okay." We listened to news all day- no one did any work.

Posted by: Judy at September 11, 2006 12:25 PM

I was about 100 miles from NYC, in a factory. I had been at work for several hours, and cut off from pretty much the rest of the world. Someone in IT had streaming video from CNN, and that's how we all found out.

The plant did not shut down.

Posted by: alektra at September 11, 2006 12:34 PM

I was in college. I had just gotten up and was getting ready for class when I heard something on the radio and then turned on the TV to learn more.I remember watching the screen as the 2nd tower was hit. They canceled all of our classes that day accept for one. The Chorale (singing group). We all went and stood in a big circle and sung patriotic songs. It might seem cheesy but it sure seemed appropiate and special at the time. ( Im actually tearing up just remembering it).

Posted by: alfredsmom at September 11, 2006 12:40 PM

I was in the car on my my way to teach at a local private school when I heard about the first plane. I Actually heard the "thump" on the NPR station when the plane hit the Pentagon. When I got to school, the teachers were all nervous, but the decision had been made not to tell the children individually because so many had parents that worked at the Pentagon (many military kids there).

My husband had a quite different scenario-- he was driving to a gig in Arlington through the city. His car had no radio, and we never turned on the morning news (that changed after that day) and he couldn't figure out why everyone was crowding out of DC. He called my cell phone, but before he could get me, a DC police officer turned him around, saying "No traffic through here, sir-- the Pentagon has been attacked,".

So we rejoined each other at home an hour or so later, and held each other on the couch as we watched Peter Jennings until late, late that night. I woke up screaming at 4 AM.

Posted by: Sassy at September 11, 2006 12:49 PM

I'm working on my 9/11 post, so I can't tell you where I was because then that will RUIN MY POST. You'll just have to visit my blog tonight to read all about my thoughts on today.

Have a fabulous vacation!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 11, 2006 12:51 PM

In Mexico.
On my very first vacation ever.
The first time I left my children at home.

Desperately trying to get true information in a foreign country. The night before I was dancing and celebrating my birthday. I was dancing with Firefighters from all over the country and National Guardsmen on vacation. I watched the next morning as every serviceperson in Cabo San Lucas called for orders from their Commanding Officers. I watched as they cried only hoping to hop the first helicopter out of there so they could hurry up and help.

I only watched and prayed.

Posted by: chantel at September 11, 2006 12:56 PM

At work. Sad, confused, and admittedly scared. Not scared for my own mortality, but scared about what this meant. America hadn't been attacked like this before. It would change everything.

Posted by: Brad at September 11, 2006 1:02 PM

I was outside a classroom waiting for my college prof to open the door. A friend from class ran up and was crying and told us the WTC had been hit and that her dad worked there. When the prof got there we all went inside and turned on the tv to watch the coverage. I called my mom to tell her to turn on the news and we all saw the second plane hit. I just remember staring at the screen in horror and crying.
The local news was reporting that they were evacuating downtown because of the amount of oil companies there, so they evacuated the college too. I went home and my mom and I stayed glued to the tv the whole day.

Posted by: Kitty at September 11, 2006 1:33 PM

I was folding laundry when my sister called from work and wanted me to turn the TV on, because she heard that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I watched the rest of the those horrible moments unfold in shock and disbelief. I will NEVER forget it!

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at September 11, 2006 1:49 PM

I had just returned from a delightful beach vacation...heard about the first plane while I was driving in the car and had just heard about the second plane as I was pulling into my parking garage. Walked 2 blocks to work - I work 2 blocks from the White House and by this time, there were already crazy bomb threat stories about the Metro and other places going on. Could not reach my husband on either land line or cell - he works over near the Capitol. By this time, the Pentagon had been hit, so we went to the roof of our building and could see it burning from DC (12th and E area). Still couldn't reach my husband and by this time there was the though that the 4th plane was headed to DC. Our building/firm was being closed - but somehow I knew my husband would find a way there. Around 2pm - one of the only people left on my floor - on the other side yelled for me... My husband had walked to me and gotten in to our now locked and secured building somehow.

We went to the roof again - the Pentagon was still burning - but the chaos that had gripped the DC streets for hours was gone - they were empty. As we then drove out on the 14th Street bridge and passed by very close by the Pentagon in Arlington, many cars were pulling over - I remember being very surprised that the officer posted there was letting the cars pause for a few moments, and then would walk over and wave them on. The rest of the day was a numbed blur. Checking on friends in NY - or trying to. Finding out that your NYC firefighter friend missed being there because he was at the ultrasound for his first child - but he was only one of two firefighters in his company that survived. Finding out that your grandparents have been frantic all day because they thought your husband worked in the Pentagon... Finding out that a flight attendant that you knew was on one of the flights... and another had traded shifts and wasn't...

If writing this sounds fragmented it's because my memories are that way... I'll remember that day in different ways every year... Some good things have come of it - I'm choosing to think more good than bad...

Posted by: Sue at September 11, 2006 2:00 PM

I had come back from Chicago earlier that morning - really early - like 12:30 am. I was in class later that morning when everything happened. It was a super long class with lab combo - 4 hours I think - and we were all trying to log onto news websites during our short breaks but couldn't get through. I thought the first plane was a small plane and wondered how someone could've fucked up so badly that they flew into a giant building. "How could you miss it?!?" But then the true scope of things started to become apparent. Our school was the only one in the area that didn't close early. I sat in our school's coffee shop between classes where they'd set up televisions. I felt like a dork because I was crying and no one else was.

Posted by: Liberal Banana at September 11, 2006 2:18 PM

I was babysitting--the kid's parents were stuck in Sacramento and couldn't fly home. It's horrible having to talk to a kid who is not your own about such a tragic situation.

Posted by: Janet at September 11, 2006 3:08 PM

My husband woke me up from a morning nap with my three-week-old, ready for his next feeding. He told me what happened and turned on the TV and I just sat there holding my infant, confused, convinced it was a horrible mistake or some massive prank.

Posted by: Kristen at September 11, 2006 4:17 PM

I was only back to work for a few weeks after having my second daughter. I was working on a helpdesk at the time, and I remember my husband emailed me and told me that a plane hit the towers. He works for an air freight company, and they get notified by the FAA before the media gets notified. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't until the second plane hit that everyone realized that this wasn't an accident.

My company broadcasted CNN through IPTV. Our call center that averaged about 1000 calls a day was quiet.

I called my mom to see if she and my girls were ok. She didn't even have a clue that anything was happening.

I cried for weeks I think. Today I've spent a lot of time crying. Those emotions come back every time I see an image on TV from that day. I know I should just turn it off, but its not really that easy.

Posted by: molly at September 11, 2006 5:00 PM

I was at home getting my son ready for Kindergarten. I didn't even know anything was going on because he was watching his normal children's programming. My best friend called me to tell me what was happening and I spent the rest of the day sitting on the foot of my bed in shock, and cried for the next week or so*.

*"or so" extends all the way to today since there is a lot of coverage.

Have a great time enjoying your girls.

Posted by: Kate at September 11, 2006 5:00 PM

Can't go there without bawling, Chris. Have a good week with your girlies!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at September 11, 2006 5:19 PM

My story's on my blog. Enjoy your time with your family. :)

Posted by: Martha at September 11, 2006 5:42 PM

The day the world changed, I was cooped up in my apartment writing a dissertation. The day the world changed I decided I shouldn't be cooped up anymore....

Posted by: haley-o at September 11, 2006 7:43 PM

On my way to work. Got told to go home. 6 months pregnant, wondering what kind of world I was bringing a child into. Wondering and scared about my cousin whose company was in the second tower. He was the lucky one, stuck in a subway, because he'd taken the girls to school, something he never did. And then I cried for weeks for all those lost and all those left behind. I cna't believe it's been five years.

Enjoy your vacation. After reading peoples tributes all weekend, I re-remember what is important. And a week at home with your wife and beautiful child, sounds great to me.

Posted by: Melissa at September 11, 2006 8:26 PM

I still can't believe's just as real as it was that day. I don't have alot to say today ....... but I've been doing alot of reading. You have to read this:

Posted by: Starfruit at September 11, 2006 8:55 PM

I was just into the second month of my job at my old firm, and the first thing I always do when I get to work in the morning is log on to There was the story of the first plane hitting the tower, and I assumed it was a little plane like the one that had crashed into the lawn of the White House months before. Then I heard people whispering down the hall and talk of a second plane. We all spent the rest of the day listening to radios in our offices (since was jammed I was forced to log on to after that) and running down to watch the TV in the break room when something major happened.

I visited NY for the first time about a year ago and we went by the site. I don't think you can truly grasp the magnitude of what happened on that day without seeing that place in person. It's hard to believe it's been five years.

Posted by: Beth in StL at September 11, 2006 10:42 PM

I was taking a shower and my boyfriend came in and told me to get out and we were in a state of war...I stepped into the living room and the second plane hit. I will never forget it. I thought for a few minutes and my brain tried to wrap around what was going on, that we were watching a movie...I just couldn't get it!

Posted by: Gypsy at September 11, 2006 11:22 PM

Well, I was probably asleep, soon to wake up. This was when I was in ninth grade, shockingly. The first I heard of it was at the bus stop: "Hey, the World Trade Centre's been bombed." And that was it. I didn't pay it much attention; I don't even think I knew exactly what the WTC was back then.

Our school had TV screens in the hallway, usually set to the school "communicator": scrolling messages and announcements. When I got there, a lot of them were set to various news broadcasts of you-know-what.

I suppose the second plane crashed at about six o'clock a.m. my time, but I saw it for the first time on a break in the library; they must have re-run it, and I had only seen (or noticed) one of the towers burning before that.

Needless to say, it was a huge distraction for class.

The image that stayed with me most vividly was seeing the footage of the person jumping from (presumably) a point above the impact holes, and watching their arms and legs flail as they fell to their deaths, knowingly. To this day I cannot comprehend the motive behind such an act.

Today someone in my Political Science class said that she has a friend who worked in the WTC, and worked on the fourth floor from the top on one of the towers, with no chance of escape. He's alive today because he was half an hour late for work. That must feel strange.

Posted by: gavin at September 12, 2006 3:01 AM

On 9/11/01 My husband, an NYPD officer, had called me after the 2nd plane hit to tell me that his unit was being deployed to the towers to help get people out of the buildings. That was the last I heard from him until later.
I sat in my office in midtown for about 6 hours after the bldgs fell wondering if my husband was dead or alive. He lived.

Yesterday, on 9/11/06 we celebrated our son's 4th birthday. And I always celebrate that my husband survived.

Posted by: Pinky at September 12, 2006 10:36 AM

I was working in the White House. Secret Service told us to run away from the building. I ran all the way to Foggy Bottom. The rest of the day was spent trying to get out of the city just like everyone else. I hitched a ride home from a complete stranger back to MD.

Posted by: Nik at September 12, 2006 10:51 AM

Living on Naval Air Station Atsugi, Japan. I was watching CNN and getting ready for bed. (It's still weird for me to hear people talking about it happening in the morning.) There was base-lockdown and rumors and an entire new set of security rules once the smoke cleared. I felt safer (because I was in a different country) and not safer (because I was on a Navy Base) all at the same time.

Posted by: Cartwheels At Midnight at September 12, 2006 2:49 PM

I was at work, busy as usual, when all hell broke loose in our world. I was trying to pick up the pieces in my personal life after a real crappy divorce, and when those assholes crashed our planes, I realized my suffering didn't amount to anything, and that life, as I knew it, was over, and that it was time for a new life. I'll never be able to remember the tragedy of September 11 without remembering just HOW it changed my life.

Posted by: Dawn at September 12, 2006 3:57 PM

I was on my way to work on my normal "late" day. I stopped at the door and my ex-husband happened to be watching the news at the moment they flashed the first tower being hit. My exact words to him were "oh my is terrorism". He simply couldn't comprehend this concept.
I am a travel agent, and it was eerie the silence on the phones. We assumed that our phones were ringing off the hook, but it was very quiet.
A few days later we got a call from a woman who cancelled her husbands ticket. The agent asked if she would like to reschedule? The woman broke down, because her husband was in the Trade Center and she finally choked this information out stating that her husband would never be travelling again. So sad.


Posted by: Jamie at September 12, 2006 5:24 PM

I was at work. It was almost the end of my work day and I got a phone call of a good friend of mine. He's also always joking, so at first I didn't believe him. That's when I turned my radio on.

My thoughts are with all those families who lost loved ones.

Posted by: Nadine at September 13, 2006 2:08 AM

I was just getting up when the first one hit. I was eating breakfast and watching the Today show when the second one hit. I spent the day worrying about my online friends who lived and worked in NYC and in PA.

Posted by: Kelley at September 13, 2006 3:49 PM

It is understandable that cash makes us free. But how to act if somebody does not have money? The only one way is to get the mortgage loans or just consolidation loan.

Posted by: ShelbyGlover at October 18, 2010 7:45 PM