September 25, 2006

Six NyQuil-Fuelled Facts For A Monday Morning

Good morning. I? Still feel like ass. And since said ass is jacked up on NyQuil, I'm afraid you shouldn't hold out much hope for the quality of what's to follow.

As I might have mentioned, I feel like crap. I'm staying home from work today.

When I stayed home from school as a kid, my mom let me watch lots of TV. I'd overdose on old episodes of What's Happening, Facts of Life, One Day At A Time and The Love Boat. And if you're too young to remember those shows or weren't even alive when they were on, please don't tell me. It would depress me. And I'm physically fragile as it is.

Speaking of televions, I have to admit I'm kinda digging Grey's Anatomy. When I first watched it, I thought it sucked. I didn't get the hype. Now, it rox (and rox is to rocks as hott is to hott - you heard it here first). Although my version of Dr. McDreamy is probably a bit different than yours. If you're a girl, that is.

Yesterday, I was mentally noodling something through and I made a brilliant analogy using the band Journey. Of course, now I have no idea what Journey was supposed to be analgous too. But you know what, I like Journey and I'm not afraid to admit it.

My friend Ali brought up something important the other day. See, there's this site called Bitacle and they're reposting my content and that of others. They claim to be an aggregator but I don't buy it. So, I'd like to hearby invite Bitacle and the brains behind it to kiss my sick ass. Pucker up. Oh, and if anyone sees my content elsewhere, let me know, 'kay?

Can I say how awesome my wife is? Thanks. My wife is awesome. See, she's been dealing with me and when I'm sick I'm no fun. And she's been taking care of Mia too. She's definitely proving adept at handling two babies.

Okay. Goodnight...or good morning...or whatever. I'm getting back in bed.

Posted by Chris at September 25, 2006 5:50 AM
Comments

Ugh... it's been a while since I've been that sick, but I sympathize.

Of course, when I was a kid and got sick, it was all about the TV, but I was required to watch my grandmother's soaps instead of all of the "cool" programming.

Posted by: amber at September 25, 2006 6:10 AM

My Hubby sucks at TLC. So I try hard NOT to get sick. You're a lucky, lucky, man!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 25, 2006 6:32 AM

1. Hope you feel better soon! Your entry was rather coherent for being Nyquil induced.

2. Those shows you mention? When I was a kid, they were new. First run. I feel old.

3. What the heck is that bitacle really? They were pinging me too, I blocked them? WTF!>

Posted by: Lisa at September 25, 2006 6:41 AM

Dude, quit bogarting the Ny-Quil. Seriously.

(feel better!)

Posted by: Contrary at September 25, 2006 7:16 AM

Feel better soon Rude!

Posted by: Wicked H at September 25, 2006 7:48 AM

The hilarious thing to me about GA is that I cannot stand the Meredith/McDreamy storyline. If they never talked about it again, I'd carry someone's baby. Still though, I'll be tuning in every Thursday because I'm that much of a lemming.

And dude, Journey roxxs hard. This I know to be true. Can't stop believing. ;-)

Posted by: pea at September 25, 2006 8:04 AM

You're still sick? Have you considered visiting a Dr.?

At any rate, rest and feel better, K?

Posted by: Alissa at September 25, 2006 8:07 AM

I hope the following phrase as wriiten will be able to be "heard" as I intend it.

"Hey, hey HEY hey."

Posted by: Bill at September 25, 2006 8:09 AM

When I was sick as a kid, my mom would give me ginger-ale and popsicles. She would also put a pitcher of water next to my bed and instruct me to drink it "or else." My sisters and I called it "being chained to the toilet." Allegedly it was supposed to flush everything out of our systems.

Hey, if you get bored you could always switch from Nyquil to Robitussin. Drink too much of that stuff and you'll see colors!

Posted by: Hope at September 25, 2006 8:23 AM

Nyquil rox - Journey's cool - and I loved Facts of Life! Get better Chris!

Posted by: Heather at September 25, 2006 8:25 AM

The mornings at home were best...if you felt cruddy and not all-out vomitrocious. Buttered toast and scrambled eggs. Re-runs of "I Love Lucy" or "Leave it to Beaver". The sound of the washing machine. Dozing off and waking up to have your pillow fluffed. Anticipation of soup for lunch. But after that it was soap operas and your sister coming home with all of your missed work. Downhill after that. Get better soon or I'll bring your homework to you.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 25, 2006 8:28 AM

Your wife is a keeper, for sure. :-) Get well soon.

Posted by: Heather at September 25, 2006 8:32 AM

Get better! I hope everyone else in your house stays well.

Posted by: E :) at September 25, 2006 8:35 AM

Hope you feel better soon!

Posted by: Jessie at September 25, 2006 8:41 AM

Ah, I remember those sick days, but it was all about The Price is Right. I won many a car while under the weather.
Hope you feel better soon.
And yeah, Beth rox. ;)

Posted by: Traci at September 25, 2006 9:25 AM

Hope you'll feel better soon. Beth could use the rest.

Posted by: ann adams at September 25, 2006 9:32 AM

Can you do something about this site stealing your posts. I am so angry about it.

Posted by: Katherine at September 25, 2006 9:36 AM

We didn't have a tv when i was growing up.

Staying home from school SUCKED LARGE.

Posted by: s@bd at September 25, 2006 9:43 AM

I was hoping you'd stay home from school today. ;-)

Re: Bitacle, the jury is still out on how to apply the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to these wankers, since they operate out of Spain, but any negative "press" they get in the blogosphere is going to help. So thanks.

It's been an informative few days, that's for sure. Here's a link to a site dedicated to generating as much "negative momentum" as possible against Bitacle:

Stop Bitacle.org

Posted by: Alison at September 25, 2006 9:49 AM

Feel better soon, Chris.

Posted by: Liz at September 25, 2006 10:02 AM

i'm so sorry to hear that you're still sick...but there is something soooo nice about taking a sick day.

and re: the bitacle site...all the popular kids seem to be getting copied...first amalah with some random myspace'er...and now you.
i guess you should consider yourself one of the cool kids?

Posted by: ali at September 25, 2006 10:10 AM

Well so your sick, huh? Whatever! LOL Most men suck when they are sick. U see myslef, I have 2 boys and a manchild I call my husband, and when the kids get sick, no problem, when he gets sick, oh good lord help us all. The sky has fallen and well lets just say that I usually don't talkto him for days after! LOL Oh well hope your study on Nyquil effectiveness is going wel! Cheerrio then!

Posted by: CJ at September 25, 2006 12:43 PM

Beth is teh awesome and not a pain in the ass. Just thought you should know.

Also, I've had some of my writing (not blog entries, but WRITING - poetry, short stories, etc.) "stolen" and used by someone else before. I threatened her with all sorts of legal action that I had no idea if I could even use but it seemed to work. She took everything down but never apologized or admitted what she did. The other day I discovered my one kind of published (by an online literary journal) story on a site that gathers writing from all sorts of literary journals and then posts them as part of their collection. Very sketch if you ask me. But since the original journal is defunct, there's not much I can do. Besides, it means something of mine is floating around out there.

Anyway. Feel better soon, dude.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 25, 2006 12:45 PM

Huh. My blog came up on search on that bitacle site. Wow. I am THAT worthy?

Feel better. Go easy on Nyquil. You know what happened to Silver Girl. (She hallucinates penguins.)

Posted by: Oakley at September 25, 2006 12:50 PM

PSA Excerpted from Tequila Mockingbird dated 12-25-03(http://tequilamockingbird.blogspot.com)

"what to do when someone steals your shit
as you probably know, i ran into a bit of ridiculous interweb melodrama when some of my original writings posted here on tequila mockingbird were blatantly copied and pasted into someone else's blog where he totally pretended he wrote that shit.

so, what's a girl to do?

first of all, learn more about copyright protection and what your rights are:

creative commons
what is copyright?
lawgirl explains copyright
the us copyright office

next up, i suggest one of two options: contact the individual and ask them to remove the material and/or contact the service which hosts their site and inform them of the violation.

after searching high and low on the blogger site and coming up with big fat nothing in terms of relevant information, i sent them an email. i'm posting their response here, because i think this information should be readily available to all users of blogger services to they can act quickly if they ever find themselves in a similar situation.

note: this information is relative only if the person stealing your shit is a blogger site. if the person stealing your shit has their site with someone else, like xanga, go visit that service's site and find out what their policies and procedures are.

It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that
comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the text of which can
be found at the U.S. Copyright Office website:
http://lcWeb.loc.gov/copyright/) and other applicable intellectual
property laws, which may include removing or disabling access to
material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity.

To file a notice of infringement with us, you must provide a written
communication (by fax or regular mail, not by email) that sets forth
the items specified below. Please note that pursuant to that Act, you
may be liable to the alleged infringer for damages (including costs and
attorneys' fees) if you materially misrepresent that you own an item
when you in fact do not. Accordingly, if you are not sure whether you
have the right to request removal from our service, we suggest that you
first contact an attorney.

To expedite our ability to process your request, please use the
following format (including section numbers):

1. Identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work that you believe has been infringed upon. This must include identification of specific posts, as opposed to entire sites. Posts must be referenced by either the dates in which they appear or the permalink of the post. For example: http://example.blogspot.com/archives/2003_01_21_example_archive.html#2104575.

2. Identify the material that you claim is infringing upon the copyrighted work listed in item #1 above.

YOU MUST IDENTIFY EACH POST BY PERMALINK OR DATE THAT ALLEGEDLY
CONTAINS INFRINGING MATERIAL. The permalink for a post is usually found
by clicking on the timestamp of the post.

3. Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit Blogger to contact you (email address is preferred).

4. Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on the allegedly infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."

5. Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

6. Sign the paper.

7. Send the written communication to the following address:

Google, Inc.
Attn: Blogger, DMCA complaints
2400 Bayshore Pkwy
Mountain View, CA 94043

OR Fax to:

(650) 618-1499, Attn: Blogger, DMCA complaints"

Me: It is incensing when someone thinks it is perfectly o.k. to use your material w/o permission! For those who are "in the know" regarding internet ettiquette (i.e. ththe Bitacle people) should seriously know better. For you plagiarists out there- may the crabs of a thousand whores infest your mangy crotches!

Delurking to post my 4 ha' pennies worth...

Posted by: matt at September 25, 2006 12:51 PM

Sorry it was so lengthy... there were four hyperlinks to the above post...

for the four:

creative commons
what is copyright?
lawgirl explains copyright
the us copyright office

O.K. off soap box...

Posted by: matt at September 25, 2006 12:56 PM

Dude...I was out of commission for 4 days last week... Still not 100%, but back at work, taking things slow. Hope you are better soon :)

And you are so right - Journey rocks. They were the 1st concert I saw without parents being there - well they still had to drive me...this will date me, but it was the Escape tour in 1981...For that reason alone, my introduction to the rock concert, they will forever hold a special place in my heart. (Saw them this summer too...)

Posted by: Sue at September 25, 2006 1:06 PM

OK, so I have much less to add than Matt. I'd never heard of Bitacle before your mention... as people have said, I guess it means you're one of the cool kids, but still, that sux! (Opposite of rox.)

Sorry you're still sick. I hereby declare it an epidemic, based on my careful sampling of three states in which people I know are under the weather.

My favorite part of staying home sick as a kid was watching The Price is Right. I love that it's still on, and Bob Barker's still there telling us all to get our pets spayed or neutered. (You tell 'em, Bob!)

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at September 25, 2006 1:10 PM

"I'd overdose on old episodes of What's Happening, Facts of Life, One Day At A Time and The Love Boat."

Oh, you sweet young thing.

My age? Think: Dark Shadows. Never heard of it, have you?

Posted by: bhd at September 25, 2006 1:18 PM

It takes a big man to admit he likes Journey.

Feel better soon!

Posted by: bad penguin at September 25, 2006 1:30 PM

reminds me of this bastard:

he stole (at least) one of my posts and put on his blog as his own (September 10)...what a fucktard.

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at September 25, 2006 1:42 PM

ooh, just read Matt's comment and followed the instructions he provided. The letter is in the mail! I'm going to post that info on my blog too, if that's OK.

Posted by: Dawn (webmiztris) at September 25, 2006 1:59 PM

copywright issues and a cold? what a sucky Monday indeed! Go back to bed 'till Tuesday!

Posted by: Betti at September 25, 2006 2:10 PM

Dawn, I'm sure Julia won't mind, since she had quite a bit of her stuff stolen (and partially edited to fit the asshole's persona). Spread the word! Word!

Posted by: matt at September 25, 2006 2:20 PM

You must have catched my cold from the sneezing on the keyboard... I couldn't breath friday night from my nose being clogged... So I decided to go to the cottage beside me with my bottle Havana Club Rhum... 2 drinks, a game of card and I was off to sleep like a baby....
That was a friday night, I never tried it on a monday morning but I guess it would work!

Posted by: DavidR at September 25, 2006 2:51 PM

Def. keep the wife around. Mine spouse left town the last time I was that sick. Feel better soon!

Posted by: Kelly at September 25, 2006 3:17 PM

On days (weeks) like this, NyQuil becomes manna from heaven! Hope you feel better soon! Fortunately, my Welcome Back To School, Let's Share Viruses illness is limited to a stuffy nose and slight cough!
I felt the same about Gray's Anatomy, and didn't get "into it" until halfway through last season (season 2). Now, it's on my MUST WATCH list!

Posted by: Celina at September 25, 2006 4:22 PM

Oh shucks. Sorry you're not feeling well. Feel better!
I am, officially, the only person not watching Grey's Anatomy.
(*caving*) When's it on...?

Posted by: Haley-O at September 25, 2006 4:43 PM

I hope you're feeling better!! at least you didn't have to go to work, right?

Posted by: Ava at September 25, 2006 5:20 PM

What's Happening, Facts of Life, One Day At A Time and The Love Boat are all shows I am very familiar with. Grey's Anatomy - not so much.

Posted by: Beth in StL at September 25, 2006 7:37 PM

Journey rocks, yo. Feel better soon, but enjoy the NyQuil high while you can.

Posted by: Dawn at September 25, 2006 7:50 PM

When I stayed home sick when I was a kid I used to watch "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross. Possibly the most comforting thing to watch when you're all doped up on cold meds.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Posted by: erin at September 25, 2006 8:57 PM

Enjoy your NyQuil. Is it the licorice flavored one? I despise licorice, but I swear that one works better.

I Luv grey's anatomy. And yes, it does rox. I thought you'd like it once you get into it. It's addicting.

Posted by: Melissa at September 25, 2006 11:40 PM

There's a website where you can go to see if your copy's being scavaged by the Internet hyenas - www.copyscape.com, I believe?

Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Kristin at September 26, 2006 12:06 AM

Dude! Hope you are feeling better soon. I always find that six blankets, a bottle of Jack Daniels, three wedges of lemon and about 24 hours of bedrest does it for me. Course after a bottle of Jack, 24 hours is the minimum "sweat it out" time required ... ah, hell. Take 48.
TG

Posted by: Tommy at September 26, 2006 12:32 AM

I keep hearing about GA and have been meaning to give it a try. Especially since the guy I think people are calling Mr. Mc Dreamy is the nerd from Can't Buy Me Love, and well, that movie was awesome.

Posted by: kim at September 26, 2006 11:09 AM

I so sympathize with you, we've been miserable for two weeks running. I'm glad to hear your wife can handle your ills and spills. Feel better soon!

Posted by: Bridget at September 26, 2006 11:42 AM

It's that time of year... allergies, sinus infections, colds!

I'm all ready taking my vitamin C... and also.... spraying the Turtle down everytime he comes in from school.

Posted by: Snidget at September 27, 2006 7:27 PM

1. Hope you're feeling better
2. Went to Bitacle and searched for you and you were the "author" of a "post" that made my eyes bleed. It was your tagline as a direct link to some very ugly people doing the nasty.

Booooooo bitacle.