September 5, 2006

The Labor Day Weekend Recap

Labor Day has passed. And it's a damn fine thing it was, for the most part, a nice weekend because it's pissing down outside this morning and traffic was terrible. However, the passing of Labor Day means that the summer is officially over and I'm not sure what wormhole or rift in the space-time continuum I went through (yes, perhaps I watched too much Star Trek growing up) but...how did this happen? I mean, it was just June, right?

...more on flickr...

While summer is over, I am happy to report that Beth, Mia and I had a fantastic long weekend.

Saturday - There was a great deal of hardcore hanging out and playing followed by a visit from my parents for dinner. Oh, and firemen who had to invade our home. But I can't talk about that. I've been sworn to silence at least until my wife writes about it. She called dibs. And we all know that anything involving firemen is really her territory anyway.

Sunday - We headed to the in-laws' place for some September birthday celebrations. Despite the fact that it wasn't her birthday, Mia came out the big winner. Why? Because she got to hang out with a dog, second only to cats on her list of the Coolest Things Alive on Planet Earth. She was fearless, which isn't surprising but was a little odd considering that the dog was, literally, five times her size.

Monday - More playing, more hanging out. A visit to the playground proved to be a particularly inspired idea. Swinging? Rocks!

On a very different note, it has occurred to me, through reading your comments, that I was a dick when I wrote of Steve Irwin's passing. In my defense, the media didn't help. They told me the dude was dead and showed a picture of the guy with a giant snake wrapped around his head. But, there is evidence that I was being a dick sporadically throughout the weekend. Beth turned to me at one point and said, "hey, you're being a dick." That was my first clue. Regardless, I'd always thought of Steve Irwin as little more than a circus freak but, upon reading quite a bit more, I realize that's not true. He was a guy who was totally dedicated to what he did and he died doing exactly what he loved. We should all be so lucky (unless your real passion in life is dumpster diving whilst dressed like the opposite sex...or not dressed at all...cos that's just strange and no one should die that way). Tragically, he left behind a wife and two kids. So, if I left you with a rather dickish impression of myself yesterday, I apologize. I'm a heartless bastard sometimes. And a dick.

Posted by Chris at September 5, 2006 7:28 AM
Comments

It takes a big dick to admit when you're being a dick!

Or something like that.

Posted by: Contrary at September 5, 2006 7:33 AM

seriously?

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at September 5, 2006 7:34 AM

I think you totally made up for being a dick about Steve Irwin by posting cute pictures of Mia. Well, and publically apologizing.

I forgive you!

Posted by: Emily at September 5, 2006 7:48 AM

You are forgiven.

Glad you all had a great weekend!

Posted by: Wicked H at September 5, 2006 7:50 AM

I'll never forgive Irwin for holding his newborn infant in one arm while feeding a crocodile with the other. I think he was reckless and made it seem a little too exciting and fun (to kids definitely, and possibly also to some stupid adults) to do dangerous things.

Posted by: Karen at September 5, 2006 8:12 AM

Oh please, who dosn't like a little dick once in a while? ummm... I think that came out wrong.

Great pics!

Posted by: Jenn at September 5, 2006 8:24 AM

It takes a real man to say "I'm sorry". Rock on.

Posted by: Mel at September 5, 2006 8:38 AM

I think that was one of those things it was best not to admit that we laughed about.

(Not that I laughed, of course. No no.)

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at September 5, 2006 8:40 AM

Glad your Labor Day weekend was so fabulous! I'm headed over to Beth's site, because I must know the story of the firemen.

Posted by: Jessie at September 5, 2006 8:44 AM

Steve was one of those people who laughed and joked all the time. I'm sure he would have understood your rather sick humor. Sort of like when Mary Tyler Moore laughed during the funeral of Chuckles the Clown.
It's okay though. Today you were waxing poetic!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 5, 2006 8:51 AM

It makes me happy to see that today you did not suck at all. I am back to loving your blog. BLah Blah Blah, no that it matters.

Posted by: Katherine at September 5, 2006 9:03 AM

Well, I suppose I can forgive you since you admitted you were a dick. Irwin might not have been everyone's cup of tea but there is no denying what he did for animal conservation, education and also the promotion of Australia.
Glad you enjoyed the weekend - and yeah, where did summer go?

Posted by: Traci at September 5, 2006 9:06 AM

Many times I've wished I had hit delete instead of post. The speed of the computer is both a good and bad thing.

Posted by: ann adams at September 5, 2006 9:17 AM

Don't worry about it. I thought it was a joke when I first heard the news-- I had no idea you could be killed by a stingray! No doubt I'll think about that next time I go snorkeling...

Posted by: Liz at September 5, 2006 9:19 AM

About the Steve Irwin thing - we had the same reaction in our household. Whenever I see one of those shows where guys do strange things with dangerous wild animals, I'm always rooting for the animal. I mean, you can educate and amaze us without handling a killer snake up close and personal. I'll take your word for it.

But I don't wish for the guy to die. And my fear of stepping on a stingray in the Gulf just increased a hundredfold.

Posted by: KathyK at September 5, 2006 9:23 AM

oh, we all have those kind of moments. i wouldn't stress over it too much. it's not as if this one incident would make anyone doubt that you're a nice guy. you wrote what you felt at the moment and so what if others didn't agree. god knows i've often made fun of some extremely inappropriate things at the most inappropriate times. it's not anything to be proud of but it's admitting that we're human.

besides, as someone on television said yesterday, it was a little ridiculous that he died from a stingray, after all the crocodiles the man teased and taunted. but, as you very aptly point out, he died doing what he loved. i'm sure that's some sort of consolation to his family.

Posted by: patricia at September 5, 2006 9:28 AM

No...not a dick. Just uncomfortable (as we all are) with the notion of dying in such an awful and public way. He tempted death in such a cartoonish manner that he made it easy to laugh--and then--when he died the way we knew that he would, laughing was just a knee-jerk response. He lived on that blurry line between courage and stupidity and I think those of us entrenched in "an ordinary life" don't quite have the life experiences to know how to react. Had he lived, would we call him "lucky" or just "stupid bastard"? I count myself among those of us who aren't sure what to say because he died.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 5, 2006 9:37 AM

You're not a dick...A dick wouldn't have realized that they needed to apologize. There's been many a time that I've posted something and later wished I hadn't.

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at September 5, 2006 9:38 AM

You're not a dick!

I wish that people would realise how educated Steve Irwin was about the animals he dealt with though. He really was a genius, though often people confuse his accent (which is my accent) with stupidity. I've had it happen to me in this country and it cuts deep. I think that's why I'm so upset about many of the reactions here.

But I still don't think you're a dick and your apology proves that.

Posted by: E :) at September 5, 2006 10:02 AM

Well, dicks don't apologize, do they? So there you have it.

Yeah, summer's over and yadda yadda yadda. Bring on the cold, I say! Give me snow and give me fires in the fireplace and hot chocolate to go along!

I'm GIDDY with the passage of summer.

Posted by: candace at September 5, 2006 10:25 AM

I mourn the loss of summer and forgive you for being a dick, although I don't think you really were one.

I'm off to Beth's to read about the firemen....

Posted by: Janet at September 5, 2006 10:37 AM

Dude, that rain? Out of f'ing control this morning!

I would tell you my comments about the passing of Steve Irwin just to make you feel better, but now I kinda feel bad about being an asshole too. I will say that the guy took stupid risks and I feel very sorry for his wife and children, but notsomuch for him.

Hey, happy Tuesday! :-P

Posted by: Polichick at September 5, 2006 10:54 AM

No, why is everyone feeling assholish---it's even WORSE that he left behind the family! Come on people.

If I can't laugh at the crocodile hunter meeting his maker while on the job when I first find out about it, then this isn't america, damn it!! The commies have won.

Posted by: andy at September 5, 2006 11:01 AM

Like Candace, I too am thrilled to see fall and winter coming our way. The summer almost did me in.

And I wanted to echo what wordgirl said - Irwin's death was so bizarre and ironically unexpected, the crocodile hunter being killed in such a seemingly innocuous situation - that it's actually hard to know how to respond. And like others have pointed out, he was smart, cautious, and very dedicated to conservation and education - but he was also a jokester and could probably see the humor and irony in all this as well. I am really, really sad for his family, though.

Posted by: Kristen at September 5, 2006 11:22 AM

I am glad that you reposted about Steve Irwin. You weren't be a dick, it just seemed as though you didn't get all the details. He could've taught us about animals and conservation in a boring schoolbook-esk type of manner, but he actually got in there with the animals (maybe too close sometimes), but I think that's what made us so interested in what he did. Plus him screaming "Crikey" and "Danger, Danger!" was pretty funny too. I don't think he would mind you getting a little chuckle out of all of this. I think most of us though a croc would've gotten him, not a stingray!!

Posted by: Michelle at September 5, 2006 12:02 PM

i didn't laugh at this news...but i had a little bit of an initial reaction of...well, if you play with fire...
which is kind of just as dick-y of me.

Posted by: ali at September 5, 2006 12:27 PM

Didn't I say something about not being too hard on yourself?? I really don't think you were being a dick.

Posted by: Pixie at September 5, 2006 12:34 PM

Well, with such a heart-felt apology, I can't help but forgive you.

Cuuute Mia. I told Beth yesterday that in one of the swinging pictures, you look like a bad man about to sneak up and snatch Mia. Must've been the dick shining through.

Oh. That sounded SO wrong.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 5, 2006 12:45 PM

Karen = Judgy McJudgerson. If Karen (and everyone else who judged Baby Bob's intro to crocs) had actually been there and seen what was really going on, perhaps she might be a little more charitable about the choices other parents make regarding their own children. The croc was tied up. The croc had been fed twice as much as normal before the baby was brought out. And there were three times as many handlers there as there normally were. And the guy was an EXPERT, for christ's sake. None of these things were shown by the media. And that still does not give people like "Karen" any right to judge.

What I always have admired the most about Steve and Terri Irwin is that they used the trappings of their success not to buy fast cars, designer bags or ridiculously large and overpriced homes. They used their resources to further conservation efforts, going so far as to buy up huge tracts of land in danger of development or logging to ensure the animals that lived there could continue to do so undisturbed.

Posted by: Caroline at September 5, 2006 12:47 PM

Oh, COME ON!!! Who didn't think "Aw, Crikey!" when they heard the news?! Can't we feel badly AND chalk it up to Darwin's master plan at the same time?

Posted by: Pammer at September 5, 2006 2:07 PM

Cool Pics, It rained/poured on our camping weekend... what else is there to do than...Play in the rain!

I don't know why she had a cold this morning.

I wonder what Steve Irwin's life insurance premiums were! I sincerely hope he had coverage the sake of his wife and kids.

Posted by: DavidR at September 5, 2006 3:17 PM

I didn't feel like a dick when I thought after he had kids, "What kind of jerk goes around messing with crocodiles and other dangerous animals when he has a family to support? Why is he still doing that? This is just begging for disaster." And I didn't feel like a dick when I thought it was dumb, no matter WHAT the circumstances, to bring a baby around a crocodile. It's too bad he died, and I'm genuinely sorry for his family. He was entertaining and informative. I just refuse to feel bad for shaking my head over this. Add me to the dick list.

In other news, I enjoyed the ice cream knife story quite a bit and it made me feel not quite so bad about my Sharp Object Skills.

Posted by: kara marie at September 5, 2006 3:36 PM

My first response was going to be, "I like dicks." But then I thought that might not sound appropriate.

And then I realized... I don't give a damn.

See? You need more obnoxious friends around to take the focus off your (RARE) jerk moments. ;)

Posted by: Tink at September 5, 2006 5:24 PM

Love the pics... and I, too, would like to start the summer over at June. Except? I'd like that when the end of August rolls around, all parents keep their school-aged kids at home with them and I get to go to work (which is at a school) and have some peace and quiet to get some stuff done.

And? You're not a dick -- as others have said, dicks don't realize they're dicks and they don't apologize. 'Nuff said. Shall we move along?

Posted by: ironic1 at September 5, 2006 6:20 PM

I don't think you're a dick. Now can we talk about the firemen?

Posted by: Melissa at September 5, 2006 6:56 PM

I have no comment on the dick statement

Posted by: Dennis Bullock at September 5, 2006 8:25 PM

Don't worry about the Steve Irwin thing - that was my first reaction as well. Love the pictures!

Posted by: Beth in StL at September 5, 2006 8:28 PM

Well, the hell, it doesn't mean we don't like you!

And I think calling yourself a dick is overstating a little. I think you had an honest, amused reaction. That's all.

Posted by: jen at September 5, 2006 9:23 PM

I've been even more heartless about him, and I'm not sorry. At least not yet. I probably will be eventually, but I'm still lost in the idea that people didn't actually EXPECT this.

Posted by: Queen of Ass at September 5, 2006 10:45 PM

the fact that he did not have time to say a proper goodbye to his family makes me want to cry. i can't imagine how his parents must feel having to bury their only son.

Posted by: Aurelia at September 5, 2006 11:24 PM

You mean to say that you are a Dee, right? A big Dee!

Posted by: Dee at September 6, 2006 12:00 AM

Wow...I can't believe how big Mia is getting. But I shouldn't be so surprised, I guess, since my 'lil guy is suddenly ginormous and trying like hell to say things that make sense and all that big kid stuff that I hate ('cause I want him to be little forever). And he goes crazy for the kitties, too. He even has his own special noise that he makes when he sees them. Unfortunately, it sounds a lot like whooping cough. Mia might think him a tad strange were she ever to witness the whooping cat call...

Posted by: Izzy at September 6, 2006 12:34 AM

You're so not a dick on your blog--I can't speak for how you are in real life, obviously...I'll trust what Beth says, though.... ;)

I like Steve Irwin because--eccentric or not--he had a deep respect and passion for animals, and he shared this with the world. Australia is honouring him, as they should, for this. But, you're right, the media is ridiculous and all over this in all the wrong ways.

Mia is so adorable. She totally reminds me of my little monkey. I know they'd totally get along. Joey loves the swing too. LOVES!

Posted by: Haley-O at September 6, 2006 1:32 PM

Awww, Mia is SO cute. She'll break many boy's hearts when she's a BIG girl.

That dog is HUGE!! Tim likes cat too. Especially to grab them by the ears and pull real hard.

I digged Steve Erwin. He was really passionate about animals and treated them with respect. There are a lot of clowns out there with TV shows with wild animals. Most of them don't treat them with
respect. But you're totally forgiven! Besides, everybody's a dick sometimes. You can't be perfect all the time ;)

Posted by: Nadine at September 8, 2006 1:50 AM

Did I hear "DICK"?????
.....head snapping at attention....

That is ok I have been a bitch all week!

Posted by: at September 10, 2006 2:12 AM