September 14, 2006

Yawn. And Did I Mention, Yawn?

I promised you pictures, so pictures you shall have. But just a few. I'm behind with my editing.

I'm also behind with responses to comments and email...and blog surfing...but I just realized something - I'm on vacation! So, you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to go back to bed. You see, it's 5:15 in the morning (bit of an early morning with a baby who was none too pleased about the prospect of staying asleep). Instead of obsessing over writing the perfect post, I'll be snoozing. Or I'll just get a massive cup of coffee and see how long I can ride the caffeine high. After that, who knows. Sparky, the Bean and I have the whole day to figure that out.

Speaking of...Mia and I are going out solo (i.e., without mom) today or tomorrow to give Beth a little time to chill at home. Where should we go? Seriously, I need your help.

Posted by Chris at September 14, 2006 5:18 AM
Comments

You should go to the mall (or even just Target) and buy your wife a present for being such a wonderful mom. Let Mia give it to her when you get home.

Love the pics, as usual...

Posted by: Alissa at September 14, 2006 7:04 AM

On a hike - explore the onset of fall. And dont forget to get an ice cream cone on the way home!

Posted by: Steff at September 14, 2006 7:27 AM

My little one's favorite place to go, since he was younger than Mia is now, is the Books-a-Million kids' section with the trains. I'm tellin ya, little kids can't resist them. And then you can sit in one of those chairs and read quietly while keepin an eye on her. I don't know why it doesn't work at home since we have every possible train or vehicle in the Thomas system, but such is life. (Wah.)

Posted by: Contrary at September 14, 2006 7:46 AM

The park, McDonald's (or other fast food place) indoor park, long drives, biking (if you have a Mia-seat, of course), people-watching in the mall, at the many historical places around your city. The grocery store, the dry-cleaner, and the florist for Beth?

Posted by: alektra at September 14, 2006 8:00 AM

Oh yeah, a mall or McDonalds with the kids play area. Or a gymboree. Any place that is busy!
PS: Tell Beth to have a nice relaxing time.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 14, 2006 8:03 AM

I second the vote for the park.

All I know is, one parent alone can not take a young child (especially if they can walk on their own) to Chuck-E-Cheese's.

Posted by: Kaz at September 14, 2006 8:23 AM

It's 5:25 here and I can't put together a coherent thought. By now you've probably figured it all out.

Have a great day doing whatever you're going to be doing.

Posted by: ann adams at September 14, 2006 8:26 AM

I can't tell you (oh wait, I probably already have) how much I love the fact that you and Mia have the same rock star hair.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 14, 2006 8:32 AM

Does Mia like the library? It is one of my favourite places to go solo with Julia. I can't go with both of them -- Oliver would rip books up and eat the pages so fast, and I don't think the librarians would appreciate that -- but I love to take Julia.

Have fun, whatever you decide to do. :)

Posted by: mamatulip at September 14, 2006 8:35 AM

- Sparky is the mascot of my favorite hockey team..the ottawa senators

Hope your wife doesn't look or is hairy like him :-)

I find a walk in the woods or a park sparks good/funny converstions...and burns the kids' energy pretty well!

Being entertained by girafes/Ronald McDonald/Gymboree does get to me after a while.

Cheers!

Posted by: DavidR at September 14, 2006 8:39 AM

Definitely the park. It is getting cooler and soon you won't be able to go without first bundling Mia up and by then she'll be cranky, etc. So go to the park...lots to explore and much fun should be had.

Posted by: daisy at September 14, 2006 8:39 AM

Since its raining here today, you could do Chuck E Cheese Baby! And/or the new one by the Dulles mall is really nice, then pop over to the mall, they have that train now...
ooohhhh, i know i know...take to the build a bear factory, she could make her own snuggly.

Posted by: shannon at September 14, 2006 8:48 AM

Barnes N Noble for storytime (or a cute local bookstore a la You've Got Mail)

Posted by: Pammer at September 14, 2006 8:51 AM

Yep, the park. Unless it's raining, in which case you're screwed. Okay, you're not. The mall is good, especially if it has one of those play areas. People watching at the mall = PERFECT post fodder.

Posted by: candace at September 14, 2006 8:53 AM

I agree...the park would be a good place to go. If it's not nice enough take her to A McDonalds with an inside play area.

Great pics!

Posted by: MrsJoseGoldbloom at September 14, 2006 9:06 AM

I'm guessing McD's isn't your kind of dining option, plus it's a little overwhelming there for the younger ones - who tend to get shoved aside by the bigger kids.

I like the mall idea though- just because it opens up a host of opportunities within one place. Book stores! People watching! Fountains to throw pennies in!

And, as it's been pointed out, a chance to buy a little something for Beth. ;)

Posted by: Traci at September 14, 2006 9:09 AM

I vote for the present idea. Not so much for McDonald's.

Posted by: kara marie at September 14, 2006 9:17 AM

Definitely the mall to get something for Mommy!! And the bookstore so Mia can pick something out for herself and you can read it to her before she goes to bed!! Whatever you do today (or tomorrow) have a great time!! ^_^

Posted by: Michelle at September 14, 2006 9:20 AM

Take a walk along a beautiful outdoor garden.

Posted by: Dolly at September 14, 2006 9:24 AM

I'm sure you've already figured out today's plan by now, but for tomorrow? Hmm... I'd say the zoo, but you guys just went there. Maybe a park, so she can run around? Especially if it's one with little kids' swings and slides.

I like the mall idea people have mentioned, too, as you could get a toy for Mia and something nice for Sparky. Plus? Orange Julius! Or maybe that's just *my* weakness.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at September 14, 2006 10:16 AM

i don't really have any ideas that haven't been mentioned before...but, really, it's so nice of you to do that for Beth...um...i mean, Sparky.

you're such a great dad!

Posted by: ali at September 14, 2006 10:26 AM

Chuckie Cheese!

Posted by: Queen of Ass at September 14, 2006 10:28 AM

I was just over at Sparky's place and noticed that there's some pretty horrifying wall imperfection happening in the background of some of her painfully cute Mia pics. In fact, the spackle impact might just be the only thing that kept me from dying of cuteness.

Just thought you should know.

Posted by: shelley at September 14, 2006 10:53 AM

DavidR - I'm ashamed. as a fellow ottawan and ottawa sens fan, you should know that the mascot's name is SparTy, not SparKy. For shame ;)

As for you, dear rude cactus, I'm sure whereever you take Mia hijinks and hilarity will ensue. Have fun!

Posted by: suze at September 14, 2006 11:04 AM

Um, fix the wall! Sparky told me to tell you that.

Posted by: Red at September 14, 2006 11:19 AM

Dude! Fix that wall! (Sparky sent me and apparently I must do as she says)

Posted by: ktjrdn at September 14, 2006 11:47 AM

I vote for the zoo.

Ok, that top picture looks like you could be Chris Kattan in A Night at the Roxbury! LOL.

Posted by: Michelle at September 14, 2006 11:51 AM

You could fix the wall at the top of the stairs!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at September 14, 2006 12:21 PM

I don't have children, but still vote for the park/hike/outdoors anything. How sweet, kind and generous of you to let your wife have 2 days off, i'm sure she will enjoy it to the fullest. But don't forget to spackle the darn wall, sparky sent us all here to tell you that, and i've only seen a few people obey her orders :) Whatever you both do, enjoy it to the fullest, you'll cherish that time with her forever :)

Posted by: Jodie at September 14, 2006 12:40 PM

I suggest an indoor playground that other little kiddos might be at. Don't know if you have them out there (I'm sure you do), but here is a link of a place in Seattle that might give you an idea.
I have no idea if they have "drop in" classes or not.
Or a children's museum...

Posted by: Jessica at September 14, 2006 12:45 PM

Those are some pretty rad sunglasses. :)

Posted by: Zandria at September 14, 2006 3:47 PM

The park or bookstore for sure. The mall can get kind of crazy busy, and I think the other two choices are better for one-on-one bonding/exploring that you'll both enjoy. The good thing about Mia's age now, though, is you can make any errand an adventure for her by making her a part of it. Maybe you could hit a good music store.

Posted by: kim at September 14, 2006 4:50 PM

When did you start calling Beth "Sparky"? Did I miss something?

Oh, and the park is always nice.

Posted by: Elaine at September 14, 2006 5:06 PM

Any children's museums there that have cool water tables? I'm low on ideas today.

Posted by: wordgirl at September 14, 2006 6:27 PM

I don't really think it matters where you go, just that you and Mia are doing it together. Good for you!

Posted by: Beth in StL at September 14, 2006 7:08 PM

ummm ... what they said.

(I really should try to read stuff in the morning, eh? I could probably be, like, FIRST to comment and then I could be the original one.)

Posted by: s@bd at September 14, 2006 10:11 PM

I suggest that you go to Home Depot or Lowe's and give Mia her first lesson on choosing spackle and paint. Maybe they will have a demonstration or two that you can catch. :)

Sparky made me do it.

Posted by: Nanette at September 15, 2006 12:13 AM

Awwww. YOu guys are so cute! Beautiful family.

Posted by: Lisa B at September 15, 2006 12:27 AM

Have you looked at doing hayrides or apple picking? Most of the time those kinds of things are free or cost very little and are soo much fun!

Posted by: myllissa at September 15, 2006 2:03 AM

Darn, I think I missed reading about Sparky. Who is Sparky??

Speaking of Sparky, you gotta fix the wall. Sparky says so.

Great pics (as always.... :))

Posted by: Nadine at September 15, 2006 4:44 AM

My dearest apoligies. To set the record straight Suze was right (ARRGH).
I mistook Sparty for Sparky who is the Ottawa Firefighters' mascot...

Other famous Sparky's
- Sparky the dragon, mascot of the New York Islanders
- Sparky Anderson from the Detroit Tigers (that guys must be 95)

You should be ok as I don't think your wife will be confused with any of those 2 individuals

I hope you don't restrict me to post since I have missdirected your readers (gasp!)

Posted by: DavidR at September 15, 2006 11:23 AM

where did you go? let's see. You are in Houston? :eek: go to the downtown aquarium. There is always the state park west on I-10. I forget the name of it. but outside in the middle of the day? I say stick to the indoor sports if you can.

Has she seen a baseball game yet? anyway... there are some nice fountains downtown. maybe the Imax... I took my son to see the IMAX at age 1 1/2. It was a HIT! he loved it.

i want to know what you did. can't wait to see the blog about it. no matter what, enjoy your time. they pass quick.

Posted by: melanie at September 15, 2006 4:57 PM

Target. Go to Target and play with toys. She is little, you don't have to buy them. Then look at crap, but don't buy that either. You can waste hours there.

Posted by: Melissa at September 15, 2006 5:21 PM

Sleep? What the heck is that? The odd thing tonight - baby is sound asleep and yet I am wide awake. Go figure.

Posted by: Jaime at September 18, 2006 1:36 AM