October 21, 2006

The Moment...

...in which my life passed before my eyes, most recently at least, was the one in which my daughter finally discovered how much fun it may be to dismantle my obscenely huge CD collection. Then I realized it would be kinda fun to check out what I actually had and I felt better. Posted by Chris at October 21, 2006 3:59 PM
Comments

That *is* an obscenely huge collection. When you get over thinking it might be "kinda fun" to reorganize, you may want to look into meditation or, you know, injected medication to help bring you down the next time.

Not that she'll ever touch your stuff again or anything.

Posted by: shelley at October 21, 2006 4:21 PM

OMG! That is a LOT of CDs. Wow. I'm kinda in awe now.

Love her little dungarees.

Posted by: starrynite at October 21, 2006 4:28 PM

Very cute MiaBean.
OYE that is a HUGE collection. I think when Beth goes shopping you really can't ask her if she "really" needed another pair of black shoes:-)

Posted by: Dee at October 21, 2006 4:36 PM

I want to know if she pulled anything off the shelf, and if so, what?

Posted by: Beth in StL at October 21, 2006 4:48 PM

So, what did she choose to listen to today?

I'm pretty sure you've said before, but I'm asking anyway--how are they organized? Alphabetically? Or are they organized at all?

Posted by: Alissa at October 21, 2006 4:50 PM

Holy moly! I'm jealous of your CD's.

And clearly Mia is checking out her inheritance ;)

Posted by: E :) at October 21, 2006 5:16 PM

Crap on a stick! That *is* obscene. You could totally be charging people just for looking at something that impressive.

Posted by: erica at October 21, 2006 5:31 PM

You know, they only think playing with spoons and remotes and ketchup bottles are fun for so long. Then they look for bigger and better things. When she's two, she'll start liking real toys.

Looks like you have more CD's than most music stores these days. I am impressed

Posted by: Melissa at October 21, 2006 5:34 PM

That's a lot of CD's. And just think of all the fun you will have teaching Mia about music!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 21, 2006 5:44 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a CD collection that huge! Whoa.

Posted by: Ari (Baking and Books) at October 21, 2006 7:50 PM

Wow. You could start your own JackFM radio station... though I guess you'd have to call it ChrisFM... don't know what the call letters for that would be... Anyway...

Posted by: SMIT at October 21, 2006 9:05 PM

Um. The cost of that wall is the gross national product of sweden.

Posted by: Pammer at October 21, 2006 10:17 PM

Well, I have somewhere around 1100, but I long ago dispensed with jewelboxes, so I'm not really sure how mine compares with your collection. I hope you have a lot more, because that does look like an obscene amount!

Posted by: Heather at October 21, 2006 11:39 PM

What's a CD? Is that like a vinyl record or something?

The real question is, how many IPODs would it take to replace that wall of CDs? 1,2 3? Maybe ask Mr. Owl?

Posted by: E at October 21, 2006 11:47 PM

Good Lord man. I thought *I* had a lot of CDs, and I play music for a living! That's fantastic, and even awe-inspiring! (*makes big googly eyes*)

I'm also curious to know what Mia's first choices were off the shelf...

Posted by: Sassy at October 21, 2006 11:56 PM

Christ on a cracker! I don't listen to my CDs as it is, and I don't even have 1/32nd of what you have there in that picture!!!

BUT, at least you were honest when you noted that it is an "obscenely huge CD collection" -- admitting such a fact is the first step on the road to recovery. For your wallet's sake.

So? What did Mia unshelve for her ears (and yours) to feast upon? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: ironic1 at October 21, 2006 11:59 PM

obscene.
seriously.

Posted by: ali at October 22, 2006 1:01 AM

She looks as if she is in a store. A very organized store at that. A store that allows browsing. :-)

Posted by: PoeticaL at October 22, 2006 1:01 AM

Now I guess your collection might dwindle from the >3.5K count that it last was when I heard about it. All the Best!

Posted by: Dee at October 22, 2006 2:21 AM

Hey I see another Dee has also commented at the waaayyy beginning of this entry's comments. How're you gonna differentiate? Maybe I'm the Dee with the blog.

Posted by: Dee at October 22, 2006 2:22 AM

That, is a lot of money on those shelves! Zoinks, better lock that room up before Mia finds those shiny frisbees irresistable. She's adorable!

Posted by: Nanette at October 22, 2006 3:17 AM

a) where do I get me some shelves like that
b) I feel much, MUCH better about my collection, now

Posted by: s@bd at October 22, 2006 9:10 AM

holy crap! Can you blame the kid for her interest? Now let's find out if she shares your taste in music :)

Posted by: Danielle at October 22, 2006 9:18 AM

sick...but admirable. You're like a walking talking "Hi-Fidelity"!

I like shoes and handbags. Maybe Mia will like CDs *inside* beautiful handbags!

Posted by: kristen at October 22, 2006 10:28 AM

Great shots of your kid with your objets d'entertainment which will be a figment of everyone's imagination by the time she's a teenager. Kind of like us as little kids with our dads' White Album LP in our hands (just the album sleeve, mind you, because there's no way in hell Dad would actually trust our 2 year old selves with the record itself).

So I might not know you, but I have an urge to buy a 250GB hard drive and rip as many of those CDs as possible. Makes my collection of 600-something look sad, paltry, and inadequate. But I'll get over it.

Posted by: O at October 22, 2006 4:05 PM

Uh, dude? That's a LOT of CD's. (Are those babies going on eBay to finance Mia's college tuition?)

Posted by: Marilyn at October 22, 2006 6:07 PM

"Obscenely huge" CD collection? Ha! Understatement of the century! What's up with that! It's awesome, by the way! Wow! So impressive! Beautiful picture, too. :)

Posted by: Haley-O at October 22, 2006 8:30 PM

Wowzas!

How DO you have them organized? Either way, they won't be organized for long now that Mia has discovered them. Looks like a ton of fun for a toddler.

Posted by: Janet at October 22, 2006 9:30 PM

Wowzas!

Posted by: Janet at October 22, 2006 9:31 PM

The Cheaty Monkey suggested I check out your blog today, as I just had to pack up my 500 CDs (and most of my DVDs) into boxes until I can get some better shelving out of reach of 16-month-old hands. Your little one looks about the same.
The saving grace is that my ipod has made my collection into a very nice looking series of paper weights/ coasters.
It also made me realize how little I've added to my "little wall" over the last few years.
I haven't been spending much money on music since she was born (or I started my practice- probably the latter), and limewire has been a good friend to me.
Anyways, nice collection....Just wait until she gets older and actually starts taking your discs.
Have a good one
Adam

Posted by: adam at October 23, 2006 7:31 AM

Oh, no...looks like you might have to put up some baby-proof gates in front of that collection -- or else watch her like a hawk whenever she's downstairs. That wouldn't be very much fun to clean up!

Posted by: Zandria at October 23, 2006 9:42 AM

Holy crap! I am totally impressed that you dare keep that vast collection out in the open for toddlers to get into. My children are 4 and 7, and I still keep everything like that hidden. Of course, I have much less to hide.;)

Posted by: Kelly at October 23, 2006 12:27 PM

WOW! You have a very impressive collection there!

Posted by: Colleen at October 24, 2006 8:33 PM

Who needs wallpaper when you have cd's? :))

Posted by: Nadine at October 25, 2006 4:28 AM

holy crap. that is a lot of music. i may have to come over and borrow some :)

Posted by: amy at October 26, 2006 12:31 PM