November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving, In Retrospect

"Am I too late to help out with the turkey?" ...check out all the weekend's pics in my Flickr Thanksgiving set...
It's funny - Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for what you've got. Yet, inevitably, Thanksgiving, if all goes well, becomes an example of what you have to be thankful for to begin with. Ouch. That made my brain hurt. I think you know what I'm saying though. And this Thanksgiving was no exception.

We spent the majority of the weekend doing what we do every weekend - hanging out and playing with Mia. When you've got a kid, it seems like there's some vacuum into which time disappears. You're not quite sure where the time went, its difficult to account for everything you did with it, every way you used that time, but it still ends up disappearing. We did, however, try to initiate Mia into the grand tradition of watching the over-commercialized, inherently lame and terribly narrated Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. She seemed to enjoy watching kids dance but that's about it. She especially wasn't thrilled when Santa - the showstopping closer - rolled through town. She had this look of "dudes, it's a fat guy in a red suit - what's the deal?" and then she cried.

We spent Thanksgiving afternoon at my parents' place along with my inlaws and Beth's brother and his wife, and the obligatory immigrants from war-torn countries. [Aside: If you've only recently stumbled onto my site, you might not know that my mother works with several groups who provide training and education to immigrants who've fled their native countries to seek opportunities here in the U.S. Most of these people have sought political asylum; due to their political views or affiliations, they'd most likely be killed if returned home. Some of my mom's students inevitably spend the holidays with us.] We all ate way too much and bitched about it afterwards. And then we ate pie.

The rest of the weekend passed similarly, although without the insane amount of food. We hit playgrounds, we spent time reading books, saying "hiya" and "bye bye", trying new foods (raisins!), getting insane bouts of hiccups (talk to Beth about that one), watching the final season of Alias (shhh, we're only partway through), cutting new teeth (and consequently keeping some very odd hours around here), and, overall, just enjoying being together.

What I learned out of all this is that I have a lot to be thankful for (I knew that, but it's nice to have something like that confirmed). But I also learned that times like these - times in which everyone you love is in the same room - pass in a single flap of hummingbird wings. If you're not paying attention, you might miss them. And you don't want to miss them.

Posted by Chris at November 27, 2006 7:28 AM
Comments

Wow, I'm first this morning!

I'm glad your Thanksgiving was enjoyable. I'm especially glad that you (and I) have so much to be thankful for.

Posted by: Alissa at November 27, 2006 7:56 AM

I hear you about violating laws of physics (time). It's strange how normal it seems to spend an entire weekend with two people and none of you can account for details except the obvious (for example, we watched a parade on tv or went to the zoo).

Posted by: Jeff at November 27, 2006 7:57 AM

Hi Chris. I am glad you had a good thanksgiving.

Posted by: William at November 27, 2006 8:05 AM

I think it's so exciting. The pictures from your festivites look like loads of fun. I especially like the shots of you and Mia in the bathroom.

Posted by: Emily at November 27, 2006 8:10 AM

More senseless overeating has been done in the name of pie than anything else. Just one more slice...

Posted by: wordgirl at November 27, 2006 8:13 AM

Sounds like a very enjoyable Thanksgiving. I had pie (cherry) too, and it rocked. You know we live in an awesome country where you can celebrate a holiday by stuffing food with more food! I love it!

Posted by: Michelle at November 27, 2006 8:14 AM

Beautiful pics, Chris! Life is good!

Posted by: kristen at November 27, 2006 8:31 AM

Mine was spent being lazy. I had eight little kids in my living room yesterday singing Christmas music to the t.v. music on demand (with the lyrics on screen). I decided to sit down at the piano and play along.

Did fine until the second time around of Twelve Days of Christmas.

I had kids here that had never tasted pie and never had a Thanksgiving dinner. Sad. One lives in a homeless shelter up the street with his mom and came in with a package of Ramen noodles (dry) for his snack. I am now down to one pie (we started with twelve) but those kids know what Pumpkin pie tastes like.

Posted by: ann adams at November 27, 2006 9:23 AM

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at November 27, 2006 9:36 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. We did too, and I'm really, incredibly sad it's over.

Posted by: Jessie at November 27, 2006 9:47 AM

"But I also learned that times like these - times in which everyone you love is in the same room - pass in a single flap of hummingbird wings. If you're not paying attention, you might miss them. And you don't want to miss them."

Amen to that brotha! My Gage turns eleven in a couple weeks. E-L-E-V-E-N. See what happens when you blink?

Posted by: krystyn at November 27, 2006 10:14 AM

They don't really digest those raisins, do they? Hm.

Happy T-day. I'm thankful that I'm thankful all the time. How does that treat your brain?

Posted by: Brad at November 27, 2006 10:25 AM

Congrats on the peaceful Thanksgiving!

(a nosy comment: be sure that Mia's raisins don't end up around visiting dogs, as raisins can make dogs very ill)

Posted by: Betti at November 27, 2006 11:07 AM

Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick- that is the cutest picture ever.

Posted by: kimblahg at November 27, 2006 11:41 AM

"We all ate way too much and bitched about it afterwards. And then we ate pie."

haha That's how it should be!

Mia is just too darned cute! Love those big old oven mitts!

Posted by: Debra at November 27, 2006 12:49 PM

Ha ha! You're in a conference call! Okay, that was mean of me. I'm sorry.

Seriously that picture of Mia is absolutely adorable. Heart-stoppingly so. Are you happy? I'm dead now.

I'd also like to add that I think it's really awesome that Mia is going to grow up with these brave immigrants around. That sentence sounded really strange. Anyway, I just think that it will give her the opportunity to see people who aren't just like her and don't live in countries like ours. It's way awesome and really, your mom's job rocks. I'm very jealous.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 27, 2006 12:52 PM

I am glad you had a great Thanksgiving! As always everyone looks beautiful. You take amazing pictures.

I have to ask though, from reading I know that you guys are vegitarians. ( I think, I know.) So was that a real turkey? I know that it very well could be and you guys ate something else or whatever but if that is not a real turkey then wow, I have to know what it is.

Posted by: Kelly M. at November 27, 2006 2:20 PM

Glad you all had a wonderful time!
How'd you get Chef Mia's gloves green in a b*w photo?

Posted by: Steff at November 27, 2006 2:22 PM

Sounds like a great time to me. Weekends go by so quickly when you have kids, I will agree to that. I woke up today and wondered where my weekend went.

It's funny but no matter how much people eat at some point there opens up a tiny space in your stomach for pie.

Posted by: Melissa at November 27, 2006 3:14 PM

It sounds like u have a very special and unique family.

Happy thanx giving

Posted by: abba-daddy at November 27, 2006 4:05 PM

Lovely Pics... I don't think we need a holiday to be thankful... I find a daily dose works well for me.

Posted by: DavidR at November 27, 2006 5:42 PM

Very nice post. Do forgive me, but I've posted a picture of your bedhead in my post today. It was so captivating, so compelling, so perfect. I do hope you will refrain from sending me a cease and desist letter.

Yours truly,

Mombat

Posted by: Mombat at November 27, 2006 7:22 PM

Looks like boxing gloves on her! C'mere, daddy! Momma said knock you out. Haha!

Posted by: oakley at November 27, 2006 8:45 PM

Beautiful holiday pictures! I love that everyone dressed up. Your parents' home is beautiful, and how wonderful that your mother invites her students to spend the holiday with you all. That must give them a nice sense of belonging, and provide a good opportunity for everyone to learn about their culture in comparison with ours.

Posted by: coolchick at November 27, 2006 9:56 PM

What a great post, Chris! And, I'm so impressed that your mom works with these immigrants and that you have Thanksgiving dinner with them -- that's really special, and rare to hear about....

Posted by: Haley-O at November 27, 2006 11:26 PM

"...times like these...pass in a single flap of hummingbird wings." i love that. so true. and i don't even have kids yet...

Posted by: catharina at November 28, 2006 2:34 PM

Posted by: catharina at November 28, 2006 2:34 PM

oh shoot. i posted that twice. sorry! i guess that was for double emphasis.

Posted by: catharina at November 28, 2006 2:35 PM

Just glancing at the pic of Mia, I see large green crab "hands" or pincers... I had to LOL. Too cute yet again. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: ironic1 at November 28, 2006 5:29 PM

Mia is just beautiful. I so happy you all had a wonderful thanksgiving.

Posted by: Sarah at November 28, 2006 8:19 PM