November 20, 2006

The Weekend Recap (With Video)

This weekend? In a word? Awesome.

Saturday
Beth and I seemed to parent in shifts while the other one slept. Naps rock. I'm thinking of taking one now...except that I'm at work and I don't think that would go over too well. On Saturday night, we were able to take our well-rested selves out to dinner (local sushi place) and a movie (Borat - we were curious) while all four grandparents took are of Mia at our place (I bribed them with pizza and wine although they didn't need bribing because our daughter is cute). Dinner was excellent, as always, and the movie was...different. It was funny as hell, crass (I have no problem with crass but it really didn't need crassness to make it funny) and totally wrong on a number of different levels.

Sunday
Two words - solo parenting. Yep, I was on my own while Beth went out with her mom. Parenting live without a net. And we had a great time. Over the course of four or five hours we:

• Made a 30-piece drum set out of Tupperware;
  • Watched the last 10 minutes of yet another Redskins loss;
  • Discovered that watching daddy pee is just the most amusing thing ever (during which I learned how to circle the bowl in defense);
  • Got caught up our classic rock listening quota;
  • Built an offshore oil rig out of giant legos; and
  • Made a movie.

Sorry about the dark spots. Turns out I'm okay with a regular camera but not too hot with a videocamera.

That's my weekend. I'm off to sit in meetings all day. Peace out, yo.

Posted by Chris at November 20, 2006 7:08 AM
Comments

I went to see Borat yesterday. Funny and crass, I agree. That guy is friggin' TALL.

I'm surprised he didn't get his ass thrown in jail for some of those stunts. (Running through the hotel?)

Posted by: Nicole at November 20, 2006 7:26 AM

yo, the cuteness kills me... and shepherd totally waved back at mia!!!

Posted by: Corinne at November 20, 2006 7:30 AM

cutie!!

Posted by: cmhl at November 20, 2006 7:31 AM

Oh, I'd say you're pretty good with a video camera too. Anybody who can make me laugh out loud on a Monday morning is the next Spielberg. Geez, what a cute kid.

Posted by: Contrary at November 20, 2006 7:31 AM

Oh. My. Gawd. Mia is soooooo sweet and cute! Makes me wanna have one (but I think I'll wait a bit longer). I love kids that age -- they can be so much fun. I'm glad you two made the most of your one-on-one time. :-)

Posted by: ironic1 at November 20, 2006 7:32 AM

OHMYGODTHATWASTHECUTESTTHINGEVER!

Oh, I'm sorry. That was a bit too hyper for this early?

See, I was getting dressed for work, but my hair? I washed it yesterday and I used conditioner and today, it's kind of greasy looking, which I hate, and it's not long enough for a ponytail, so I hopped in the shower for a little rinse and spit action, and now I'm waiting on it to drip out into my super-absorbant towel before I try to dry it, so I thought I'd read your post.

That was so great! The dancing! The Hi Ya! The Bye Bye! Your face between the Daddy bye bye adn Mia bye bye. That was great!

GREAT!

Posted by: Emily at November 20, 2006 7:52 AM

You are both just adorable. Really.

OK, Mia is more adorable. But you expected that, right? You're still cute, just not as cute as the baby... :-)

Posted by: Alissa at November 20, 2006 8:08 AM

Great vid... but I want to know, what was she pointing at (lower left of frame) - was it the "recording" light? She seemed very intent on getting to it.

And trust me, I feel your pain... after their eighth loss of the season (to Arizona) in a west coast game, the Lions have to come home for a short week and a game against a QB with something to prove.

Posted by: Jeff at November 20, 2006 8:13 AM

Aside from the dark spots that was awsome!!! Love my Mia Bean! (What video cam do you have? We're shopping so we can take movies of the puppies)

Posted by: Maribeth at November 20, 2006 8:18 AM

OMG The Cute!!

Posted by: autumn at November 20, 2006 8:18 AM

I thought that getting up and NOT having to go to work this morning was just the bees' knees, but this video is really where it's at. Mia is just absolutely adorable - and I love her dancing! Way to spin, baby!

Posted by: samantha at November 20, 2006 8:22 AM

Cicrling defense..it gets more difficult as they get older. I have to do a warm up every time I let my kid watch me pee.

Posted by: William at November 20, 2006 8:23 AM

hey, she stole some of my moves. they look better on her though so i guess she can keep 'em. too cute as always. you too i guess. whatever. ;)

Posted by: pea at November 20, 2006 8:47 AM

Very lovely.
Well done

Posted by: Pamalamadingdong at November 20, 2006 8:49 AM

Well she is the cutest thing ever.

Posted by: daisy at November 20, 2006 8:55 AM

Adorable and a ham as well.

Niners beat Seattle.

Good weekend.

Posted by: ann adams at November 20, 2006 8:57 AM

Sounds like a great weekend! Unfortunately my work computer won't let me see the video, but I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Posted by: Jessie at November 20, 2006 8:57 AM

That video was too cute.

Also: "I learned how to circle the bowl in defense."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: Liz at November 20, 2006 9:22 AM

Aww she is super cute!! bye bye!! But who was the dork next to her? Oh, that was you? Hmm, wow. Sorry Mia, daddy is a dork. *snort* =)

Posted by: Lauren at November 20, 2006 9:26 AM

You are a great father! Beth and Mia are lucky to have you!

Posted by: haru at November 20, 2006 9:27 AM

I'm glad you guys had fun!

Posted by: kara marie at November 20, 2006 9:43 AM

Aaack! Your baby is turning into a little girl!

Posted by: Dawn at November 20, 2006 9:44 AM

You guys are so cute. Hiya Mia!

Posted by: Jenn at November 20, 2006 9:46 AM

Great video ... nothing beats a good hiya. Video/Photo tip #1 - back lighting is bad ... unless you have a more powerful front lighting source ... Video/Photo tip #2 - its not a bug, its a feature! (you were going for mood, you wanted to show Mia's dark side, etc. ... )

Posted by: Eric at November 20, 2006 10:00 AM

Omigod. Could Mia be any cuter?

Eric beat me to talking about backlighting. :-)

Posted by: Alison at November 20, 2006 10:12 AM

Well, it's about time that you took advantage of having a videocamera and coupled that with the internet's curiosity. It's definitely a different experience than just seeing a photo. Voices and everything! You and your daughter are both adorable. Next time you should join her in spinning around the room. :)

Posted by: Zandria at November 20, 2006 10:44 AM

Yay! Perfect for the Monday morning.

Posted by: Hannah at November 20, 2006 11:01 AM

She is just too cute!

Posted by: That Girl at November 20, 2006 11:05 AM

She is just too cute!

Posted by: That Girl at November 20, 2006 11:05 AM

oy with the cuteness...!

Posted by: Sue at November 20, 2006 11:15 AM

See, that's my problem. I say, "Say bye-bye", like two times and move on. You? You get the blank stare of disinterest and still you persist. AND? You get the "bye-bye."

I clearly have so much to learn from you, of wise one.

Posted by: Elaine at November 20, 2006 11:15 AM

my kid is saying 'hiya' right on back.
And 'umbrella' ... so there.
;-)

Posted by: s@bd at November 20, 2006 11:19 AM

Hi ya. Bye bye. :)

She. Is. So. CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

Posted by: Oakley at November 20, 2006 11:25 AM

Sweet, you have high-daddy-voice too. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. :)

Your kid is awesome. Those cheeks would be delicious with some butter.

Posted by: Brad at November 20, 2006 11:31 AM

Sounds like an awesome weekend, dude. I for one am a big fan of the solo parent days. Sounds like you two rocked it big time.

Posted by: Jonathon at November 20, 2006 11:46 AM

OMG...that was the best.

K, I need to stop reading blogs now; between you and The Fish...I got all freakin bubbly and proud like it was my own kid or something, lol.

Posted by: fauve at November 20, 2006 11:49 AM

on Borat: did you get the impression that at least half of the people in the audience were apprehensive about laughing? I was falling out of my seat but as the movie progressed (if you call it a progression) I was more and more anxious... It became almost painful to see what he would do next.
I find it really ammusing that the frat boys are suing..

Posted by: JMo at November 20, 2006 11:51 AM

Oh I just love you and your whole family!! Mia is the cutest baby ever!
Hugs,

Posted by: Pat (Trish) at November 20, 2006 12:29 PM

tupperware makes the best drums. ever.

we saw borat on saturday night. we downloaded it. i laughed my ass off. much more than i thought i would have.

Posted by: ali at November 20, 2006 12:29 PM

And in a few years if I encounter Mia on the street playing upturned plastic buckets, I'll know the genesis of that hobby... She's getting so BIG! What a cutie pie. I particularly liked at the end where she kept pointing at the camera as if to say, "Okay, Dad, turn this sucker off now." :)

Posted by: Marilyn at November 20, 2006 12:34 PM

You have the cutest child ON THE PLANET. I swear. Also the quietest. *Love* the dancing. That was fabulous. She dances like me :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 20, 2006 1:25 PM

Best dance video. EVER.

Posted by: Jenny at November 20, 2006 1:27 PM

too cute! made my entire day...with that little voice...and that little dance...THE BEST!

Saw Borat last week--took the 16 year old son with us. My husband and I laughed alot--inside giggles--didn't want the boy to think us rude. BUT WE WERE DYING LAUGHING! I was mostly taken with his frequent naked wrestling. Strange.

Thanks to that movie, we now call date nights "sexy time".

Posted by: kristen at November 20, 2006 1:37 PM

Aw that was soooooo cute.

Didn't mind the dark spots, her cuteness was still totally apparent.

Adorable!

Posted by: starrynite at November 20, 2006 1:38 PM

Live without a net? With all apologies to Van Halen, I have, I mean, I get to do this every day, for 8+ hours. Then I go to work for a shift full of the loud and lonely.

Babysitting drunks is easier.

Posted by: whit at November 20, 2006 1:41 PM

Mia Bean has a GREAT voice! She's got CUTE licked. Thanks for sharin'. Happy Monday to ya!

Posted by: at November 20, 2006 2:05 PM

She just gets cuter and cuter, which I didn't think was possible.

Posted by: Jodi at November 20, 2006 2:23 PM

It's all in the positioning. Light sources should be about 45 degrees between directly behind the camera. Anywhere but directly behind you, at least.

Posted by: Adam at November 20, 2006 2:26 PM

bye bye!

Posted by: jodi at November 20, 2006 2:30 PM

sweet jesus I love you and that child...

Posted by: stinkerbell at November 20, 2006 2:52 PM

You totally just taught my almost-15-month-old to say "Hiya". She also said "Dada" and pointed at the computer screen whenever you spoke. :)

Posted by: Tomika at November 20, 2006 3:00 PM

Good gravy, could you two be any cuter?? No! No, you couldn't! I'd really like to hear the sounds from that Tupperware drum set. Get on that, wouldya?

Posted by: candace at November 20, 2006 3:09 PM

Wonderful video! My 4 year old son came and watched and said, "That cute little girl says bye bye so cute. Who is she?"

Then I proceeded to explain, "Well, she's the daughter of some friends of mine, well, not really friends, but yeah, they seem like friends, they are on email and I know them through emailing, but not in real life..." (and he was off playing with his trains.

Posted by: Sharri at November 20, 2006 3:19 PM

We, too, saw the Borat movie this weekend and you pretty much summed up my feelings about it. Can't quite get some of the images out of my mind, unfortunately.

It's nice you got the one on one time with Mia. Kyra now asks for it from time to time, like this weekend she said, "Daddy and Kyra will go to the flower store and Mommy and Zoe (baby due in Jan) can stay home. It was special because she wants to be with her daddy, but still....ouch.

The video is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: kim at November 20, 2006 3:24 PM

Absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Traci at November 20, 2006 3:32 PM

So adorable... I just melted into a little puddle at my desk.

Posted by: Laura at November 20, 2006 3:46 PM

just ditto-ing all the melty puddle comments . . .

As much as I love all my fur-babies, I quickly came to the conclusion:
there. is. no. out-cute-ing. that. video.

Posted by: Betti at November 20, 2006 4:07 PM

That video rocked!! I think Mia is my new favorite star. "Bye-bye!"

Posted by: Tink at November 20, 2006 5:08 PM

awwwwwwwwww! SOOOO cute! hiya! hiya!

next time we need to see the footwork of those dance moves :)

what a sweetie.

Posted by: raine at November 20, 2006 5:19 PM

I could watch one of these videos every single day.

Posted by: wordgirl at November 20, 2006 5:59 PM

I am overwhelmed with the cuteness. SOunds like a fun and busy weekend.

Posted by: Melissa at November 20, 2006 6:03 PM

:0) Such cuteness. I love the million attempts at "bye-bye." We cannot end this video until Mia tells the internets bye-bye! And I'm so glad she did...precious little girl.

Posted by: Heather at November 20, 2006 6:29 PM

Adorable. And I think I had the same weekend, except with more shopping trips to Costco and fewer obliging and doting grandparents. (None, actually.)

Posted by: Kelly at November 20, 2006 6:53 PM

Oh, man alive. The cheeks! And the real human person words coming out of the little cherub mouth! You should get a couple days off.

I haven't seen the Borat thing. Not sure I will. I was really pleased that the OJ interview will not be aired and the book won't be published. I tend to be pretty snarky about all the political correctness but some things are so far wrong. Feeding that psychopathic ego, let alone his pocket and cohorts pocket's would have made me furious. Even more though, I read about what Michael Richards said from the stage to hecklers and I felt sick. I think the man should pack up his tent. They called it racist but it is so far beyond racist. If I tell you all x's are drunkards or stupid and x is a race than that is racist. If x is a religion that that is bigotry. But I cannot even imagine what part of this man's brain that kind of talk was living in. I can imagine insulting someone in fury or embarrassment but I don't think you can apologize for the kind of thing he said. I think you run to your nearest mental health clinic and get a handle on the rage, hatred or whatever it is seething in your brain that would make this stuff come out of your mouth. So, not such a peaceful reader today I guess. Good thing you had sweetkins up there to make the world a nicer place.

Posted by: Gillian at November 20, 2006 7:11 PM

oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! That was so cute I had to smile!!!!

Posted by: linda at November 20, 2006 7:56 PM

I don't think that I can breathe. The Boy and I are down on the floor from the sweetness. Do you have any insulin?

So now we want a baby. Damn the Internet! But blowing kisses to Mia-bean.

Posted by: alektra at November 20, 2006 7:59 PM

So my son, who has met Mia in person, was so excited by this video, he was starring and laughing and pointing at the computer screen. Please post more so I can keep my son amused.

Posted by: jodi at November 20, 2006 10:07 PM

so the question is: when do you stop wanting to do cartwheels every time your kid says a real word?

Posted by: you da mom! at November 20, 2006 10:08 PM

my son says "dada" accidentally when he's babbling and i want to do laps around the block; i think when he actually starts to talk for real, my neighbors will see me doing acrobatics down the block. ;)

Posted by: you da mom! at November 20, 2006 10:10 PM

LOVE the VIDEO! You guys are adorable! I can't believe she twirls! The monkey loves to dance, and she scoots in circles around herself--which is kind of like twirling.... Thanks for the video. It made me laugh -- still smiling. She's PRESHUSS!

Posted by: Haley-O at November 20, 2006 10:12 PM

Are you trying to kill the ENTIRE Internet with all the cute...because I think I just melted here in my chair. Seriously. I'm all melty. Nothing but a puddle of "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww". Yeah, thanks. :)

Posted by: Kate at November 20, 2006 11:03 PM

I'm almost crying because of the cuteness. Her bunny-front-teeth kill me. And of course the curls behind the head and towards the ears. Is it wrong that I love your kid and I haven't even met her. Give Mia a big hug and kiss from me.

P.S: Totally with you on the Borat thing.

Posted by: Dee at November 20, 2006 11:10 PM

That much cuteness should be ILLEGAL. It's just too cute.

Posted by: E :) at November 20, 2006 11:20 PM

Mia is so cute! Love the video.

I liked the Borat movie. I'm a big fan of SBC and Da Ali G Show.

Posted by: Janet at November 20, 2006 11:33 PM

Oh my...the cuteness. Is. too. much! She is so cute, and when she said goodbye, my eyes actually welled up ~ she's beautiful. Miraculous. Thank you so much for sharing her with the Internets.

*sniff*

*smile*

Posted by: Kim at November 21, 2006 2:22 AM

Dude...why is it such a trip to see people from the internet in motion? (And my baby totally stopped what he was doing to watch the cuteness.)

Posted by: Isabel at November 21, 2006 9:59 PM

Your daughter is so cute it should be illegal!! I loved the video!

Posted by: Tammy at November 22, 2006 12:08 PM

Awww.... I'm disappointed Mia wouldn't say 'umbrella' -- she says it sooooo cute!

What? No video of the tupperware drum solo? *snicker*

Posted by: coolchick at November 22, 2006 3:55 PM

Was that a Nationals Cap???

You stole my beloved Expos you creep! I have been to every opening game since I can remember, got drunk and lost in that olympic stadium so many times!

Mia looks great... as for the supporting cast..hum.

Posted by: DavidR at November 22, 2006 4:48 PM

Live action Mia just made my night.

Posted by: nila at November 23, 2006 2:12 AM