December 20, 2006

Stereotypes

I've been poking and prodding inside my brain for a topic. Frankly, I'm running dry this week. Yesterday damn near killed me and the remainder of the week will follow suit. Reflecting on previous posts and topics you and I've traded email and comments about over the past few weeks, I landed on vegetarianism. I am one, you see. Some of you seemed a little surprised by that and more than a little curious when I mentioned it a few weeks ago. So I figured I'd write about that...until I realized that something tangentially related was bugging me. Stand back, give me a little room, let me stretch out and explain...

I don't eat meat. Why? I didn't really care about it when I did eat it so why bother? I'm healthy and happy without it. Although I do miss bacon. Mmmmm, bacon. Oh, right. I certainly don't care if anyone else eats meat. Cows are going to buy the farm (ha!) whether I chow down on a steak or not. To each his own.

I also don't drink. I used to. In high school and the early part of college I made a hefty contribution to the beer industry, specifically Milwaukee's Best, The Beast. When I turned 21, the refrigerator in my apartment was so stocked, the light from the bulb in the fridge was refracted by so many different colored bottles, rainbows appeared on my kitchen walls and ceiling.

I'm not a huge sports fan. Never was, probably never will be. I grew up in the great state of Texas in which football was king. Yet I never caught the bug. I ran track in high school, played tennis competitively for years and took up amateur cycling at one point but I was never truly passionate about any of those things Instead, I like books, art and music. I'd rather take pictures than watch the Super Bowl, play my guitar than see the World Series unfold or plow through a novel than sit through the Stanley Cup playoffs. I don't care about NASCAR, Texas Hold 'Em or professional wrestling.

There are some other minor things. I don't drive a big truck; I drive a Jetta wagon. I don't have a big dog; I'm a cat kinda guy. I don't rant incessantly about the wonder that are women's breasts (though I do think they rock). I don't bench press small cars. I don't use smelly aftershave, I use styling products in my hair and I think I have pretty good fashion sense.

I am, in short, not a stereotypical guy. And sometimes - just every so often - I'm made to feel inferior for that.

We live in a society that perpetuates unattainable images of women and sets a terrible precedent for girls. Role-models are hard to come by what with all the 85-pound cocaine-addled tramps who's biggest problems seem to revolve around the selection eligible millionaires to bed and remembering to put on underwear. But the male stereotypes perpetuated by society can be almost as bad.

Me? I don't care. I'm a vegetarian non-sports-loving Jetta-driving non-drinker who's better read than half the planet and can play some mean riffs on my Fender. But it does get to me sometimes.

Posted by Chris at December 20, 2006 7:22 AM
Comments

Who you are, not stereotypical, keeps us coming back. Honesty and intelligence -- that's way better than big guns and a monster truck.

Posted by: Nicole at December 20, 2006 7:42 AM

I like how you spin a post I thought was going to be a little carrot and tomato heavy, into something so, well, um...yeah....different. :)

Posted by: Nanette at December 20, 2006 7:46 AM

Well, I'm not a stereotypical girl. I drive a big truck, and not a cute little car. I worked a herd of cattle Sunday morning. I also like to take pictures, and read books, and last night I crocheted a scarf for a friend for Christmas.

I'm sorry if I offended you when I asked about your vegeterianism. It was unintentional. I love you just the way you are. Hey, isn't that a song?

Posted by: Alissa at December 20, 2006 7:56 AM

But does being this way get you Laid? You know what I am saying. Huh? Huh? You know? Hah Hah. (pops open a beer, *slurp*) *Burp*

Posted by: William at December 20, 2006 8:04 AM

And thank god for men like you who bust the stereotypes! I married a smart, sexy, non-drinking man who couldn't care less about sports and I couldn't be happier!

Posted by: donna at December 20, 2006 8:25 AM

I'll take vegetarian, non-drinking Jetta driving, music playing, non-sports loving, reading and art enjoying, thinking guys over the "regular" kind any day of the week. And the guy friends I have who do like sports, beer, etc... all have that something extra that makes them non typical. And that's what I like about them. So please, go right on defying those stereotypes! And I promise to keep on not being a coke-addled 85 pound bimbo. :)

Posted by: bad penguin at December 20, 2006 8:27 AM

I don't think I'm stereotypical either. Good for you in following your own beliefs.

Posted by: ann adams at December 20, 2006 8:38 AM

other than the sports thing, i don't quite get how the other things are stereotypical of guys. but i'm open to the fact that that just means i'm stupid about this sort of thing. are all guys supposed to like 12 oz steaks and drive huge trucks? or are we only talking about guys that hail from the great land of texas? sorry. i've got more questions than comments i guess.

either way, happy wednesday.

Posted by: pea at December 20, 2006 8:45 AM

The Fender strat....omigosh, could there be a better guitar?
I think not.

Don't go changin' to try to please me.... I like you just the way you are.....

Posted by: the speckledpup at December 20, 2006 8:46 AM

My boyfriend doesn't like sport either, and also likes shopping at Lush. I'm a vegetarian and I don't care whether other people eat meat or not, I do care if they assume I'm going to have a go at them for eating meat and they immediately go on the defensive, because I'm really not bothered.

I probably wouldn't read your blog if you were a stereotypical guy, in the same way I probably wouldn't have started reading the blog of the guy who has now become my boyfriend.

Posted by: Katherine at December 20, 2006 8:58 AM

You know what Chris? I think the guy you feel inferior to only exists in Budweiser commercials and westerns from the 1960s.

Being a man doesn't mean smelling like Old Spice or drinking Jack Daniels or having a 2 ton pickup with a gun rack. Being a man means knowing who you are, being that person, and not justifying it to anyone.

That, and occasionally adjusting the boys when the seam in your underpants starts to bug you. (Crap, did I just say the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud again?)

Posted by: Jeff at December 20, 2006 8:59 AM

You go girl!

Posted by: Zorba at December 20, 2006 9:00 AM

Coming from someone who meets just about every stereotype in the other direction (traditional female of the species, that's me!), sometimes you get almost as much crap about that. People aren't very good at the whole "live and let live" thing.

Posted by: Leah at December 20, 2006 9:04 AM

What is it about us vegetarians and our love of bacon?! I've been a vegetarian since I was in 6th grade, but I've cheated a few times... and it was almost always to eat bacon.

As for the stereotypes? It's very clear from reading your blog that you have a family and friends that love you very much. So, obviously, you're doing something right!

Posted by: Hope at December 20, 2006 9:09 AM

is this all coming from the one-quarter moisturizing deoderant???!!

Posted by: ali at December 20, 2006 9:11 AM

Sweetie, I think we non-stereotypical people make the world a far better and far more interesting place! I stopped worrying about what people thought about me, because I know I am unlike any other living person and I like that.
Viva la differance!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 20, 2006 9:15 AM

eh, don't let it get to you. there are a lot of guys out there like you, and truth be told most women find them more sexy anyway. my boyfriend is just like you and i wouldnt have it any other way!

Posted by: at December 20, 2006 9:25 AM

Sweet Lored, Chris! You are a jewel among men! Do not allow others to make you feel inferior...especially the knuckle-draggers in your gender who only recently crawled out from under a rock clutching a photo of Jane Fonda dressed as Barbarella. The world needs people like you.

Posted by: wordgirl at December 20, 2006 9:32 AM

Amen, brother. From one atypical, non-drinking, non-smoking, non-sports-obsessed, ignorant-of-all-things-survivor, compact car driving, quiet, photo taking, music loving intellectual to another, happy holidays. :)

Posted by: martin at December 20, 2006 9:43 AM

Look at it this way: if you WEREN'T a "vegetarian non-sports-loving Jetta-driving non-drinker..." you probably wouldn't be having this conversation with so many people on your blog today. :)

Posted by: Zandria at December 20, 2006 9:51 AM

I find that some guys (my husband included at times) need reminders that all girls aren't supposed to look like the ones in the magazines. I made him watch that Dove transformation commercial that's been going around on the internet, and he was amazed at how much photos are manipulated. It's hard not to want to look like the women in the magazines, but even I have to keep in the back of my mind that those pictures aren't real. I have no idea how I'll reinforce that idea if/when I have a daughter.

Posted by: Jessie at December 20, 2006 9:53 AM

being like the so-called 'norm' is overrated. i say we should all embrace our uniqueness, just like you have ;)

Posted by: suze at December 20, 2006 10:03 AM

And you (like, um, breasts) rock.

I'm glad that you wrote about the connection between male and female stereotypes/unattainable goals. Once I can finally work toward a degree in Gender/Women's studies I'm actually almost more interested in the whole masculinity culture aspect. We're all glad here in rude cactus land that you are you... okay now I'm getting sappy.

Posted by: kate at December 20, 2006 10:10 AM

And there are those women who enjoy the man you are (in general, not you specifically. Beth, no worries). When we are younger, for some reason the 'manly man' appeals to a vast majority of Barbies. It is those of us who look for more than that who are happier in the long run.

My husband is not in a fantasy football league (though he loves the GB Packers), he doesn't beg to go to NASCAR, he isn't a yelling coach on the sidelines of school sports. He takes our son to wrestling and cheers, he teaches our other son exactly how to practice his fingering on his saxophone, he lets our daughters treat him like a horse and gallops around the house.
THAT is a man.

Posted by: angela marie at December 20, 2006 10:19 AM

I think if you took a close look at society, most people aren't "stereotypical." And in fact, many who appear to be are in denial of who they really are.

Posted by: solistella at December 20, 2006 10:25 AM

Wow... you not stereotypical... I'd have never guessed... (did you get the sarcasm? It's hard to make that happen sometimes in typing...) We aren't big meat eaters in our house, we do drink, but not a bunch, and there aren't any trucks parked in our driveway... Hubby doesn't go on about breasts, but he better like mine!

I think it's cool that you're unique... and hey, where else would I get my "OMG I really have to look for that book!" ideas from if it weren't for you?

Posted by: Karen at December 20, 2006 10:26 AM

Hey, your wife is hotter than their wife, so screw 'em.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at December 20, 2006 10:33 AM

Funny, I think I knew all those things (does that mean I've been reading far too long??) and it never struck me as odd.

Oh well, society is strange. I still like you.

Posted by: autumn at December 20, 2006 10:36 AM

Oh my God. Zorba owes me some Windex.

That said, you know, I never thought about Chris The Unstereotypical Guy. I just thought about Chris the Blogger. To paraphrase Billy Joel, I like you just the way you are.

For what that's worth.

Posted by: Alison at December 20, 2006 10:39 AM

There's nothing wrong with not being stereotypical. My husband is not into sports either. The Sports Illustrated subscription is in my name at our house.

Posted by: Kelley at December 20, 2006 10:41 AM

You are, by far, my favorite vegetarian non-sports-loving Jetta-driving non-drinker who's better read than half the planet and can play some mean riffs on my Fender! Macho stereotypes MUST be destroyed.

I couldn't agree with you more! (said the weird jazz-loving, scotch-drinking, metrosexual insomniac Asian-American who loves reading, mid-century furniture, and scrabble.

Rock on, my brother!

Posted by: MetroDad at December 20, 2006 10:44 AM

Feeling insecure are you??? Geez...get over it! You know you're awesome!

Posted by: Kelly at December 20, 2006 10:51 AM

The meester doesn't drink either. But it's because he's got an addictive personality and he was what you would call "a problem drinker" back in his day. He doesn't really miss it and doesn't feel bad about not drinking. Alternatively, one of our closest friends doesn't drink either. He just never saw the point, so he doesn't and the two of them manage to get into trouble just fine without alcohol.

You shouldn't feel inferior at all for being a little different. That's a quality I look for in a friend. I mean, hell, if we all hung out, well, ok, I should stop there, because I get a little a-scared when I think about it.

Posted by: statia at December 20, 2006 10:51 AM

There aren't enough men in the world like you, Chris.

Do they sell your cookie cutter at Williams-Sonoma? I want to make a Rude Cactus gingerbread man and eat it right up!

Better yet, do you have a twin brother you aren't telling us about?

Posted by: Mel at December 20, 2006 10:54 AM

If you're typical dude, we wouldn't be here reading. :)

My hubby is not a typical dude either in the sports watching sense. But he is obsessive about boobies. LOL.

Posted by: Oakley at December 20, 2006 11:01 AM

Oh, so you're not the only one who's uncomfortable/bored in a conversation with all men? You dislike some parties because the women end up chatting about shoes and the men about sports? You don't get invited over to the Man-Cave (finished basement) for the big games?

You and I are different in many ways, but not in this. I may have the knowledge, but it bores me terribly. I need discussions about guitars, music, books, kids, and pre-school mixed in with my hockey. And I do have a passion for hockey.

Thanks for the info though... I've always thought it interesting to read you so much but really know so little.

Posted by: Brad at December 20, 2006 11:01 AM

My hubby isn't into sports, either. He's a big man and everytime we get together with others--they expect him to talk sports. He's just not that interested. He says I am the guy in this regard. He watches the Super Bowl every year and that's about it for watching sports on TV.

I follow most sports and read the sports page faithfully almost daily. I dislike NASCAR and racing as that is one sport that I just don't get.

If we were all the same, we'd be terribly boring. I embrace everyone's differences and hope that many do the same.

Posted by: Diane at December 20, 2006 11:03 AM

OK, so you pretty much just described my husband (minus a few details). Freaky. I guess that's why I like reading you so much, you're the kind of guy I get. Cool.

Posted by: Elaine at December 20, 2006 11:05 AM

haven't you heard? you're in style! you're a metrosexual!

or was that last year? who can keep up with these things? :)

Posted by: raine at December 20, 2006 11:24 AM

sounds pretty much like my ideal guy, in fact just like the one I'm with (but for the meat and liquor thing)

Posted by: Kathryn at December 20, 2006 11:29 AM

I loved this post. Mainly because it made me think of my husband and all the reasons I love him. Not that he's all the things you are, but because he also doesn't fit any kind of stereotypical man mold. And for that, I am so grateful.

Beth is a lucky woman.

Posted by: Jen at December 20, 2006 11:29 AM

Over the weekend my husband and I were reminded once again how non-stereotypical we are. We had to give "embarassing moments" anonymously for a party where everyone would try to figure out which moment belonged to whom. Everyone thought that my moment, which demonstrated my hulk-like strength while angry, was my husbands, and that his, which illuminated his severe lack of knowledge about cars, was mine.

You remind me a lot of him, and I wouldn't have him any other way. I'm sure Beth feels the same for you. He's my MAN, stereotypical or not.

Plus, you both made absolutely gorgeous babies, and what's more manly than that?

Posted by: heels at December 20, 2006 11:29 AM

Hmmmm.....just as long as we are not saying there is anything wrong with exhibiting stereotypical behavior either.
But let's also don't forget that most myths perpetuated by the media rarely exist in the real world.

Posted by: Leilani at December 20, 2006 11:42 AM

We are so much alike, except for the meat, drinking and sports stuff. I don't like NASCAR either!

Posted by: whit at December 20, 2006 11:46 AM

I like your version of a man quite well :-) And since you don't drink, well, more wine for Beth heh.
I think a lot of people let their alcohol consumption get out of control, though, and I really like it that there's some people who won't. So Kudos to you, good sir. We like you, non-sports fan and all.

Posted by: Heather at December 20, 2006 11:54 AM

I see what you mean about not having much to talk about. :)

My husband would much rather spend time on books/music/art, too. And while he does eat meat, he also does yoga with me. I think he's quite studful.

Posted by: Vaguely Urban at December 20, 2006 11:55 AM

Man, I couldn't agree more with that. I watch a Denver Broncos or Colorado Avalanche game from time to time but an hour about does it for me. And I could care less about if they win, even though it's nice. It's rather entertaining watching people that make that their focus in life. Actually, now that I think about it, it's rather pathetic.

Give me my camera, bike, VW Passat, Black Lab, and my PowerBook and I'll be happy.

Posted by: Kyle I at December 20, 2006 12:06 PM

Non-stereotypical is the new black. Also, stereotypical is boring!

Posted by: Wicked H at December 20, 2006 12:11 PM

Please marry me! (oh yeah, that Beth/Mia thing - oh well) Non-stereotypical men rock.

Posted by: Heather at December 20, 2006 12:26 PM

I married your "stereotypical" guy the first time. Nine months later I realized he was an alcoholic who would watch any sporting event, drink beer, and expect dinner on the table at a specific time...and he had no problem telling me my place. This time around, I married such a non-typical guy...he rarely drinks, likes the science and history channels, would rather read than watch TV anyway, believes in me and my dreams..actually pushes me harder than I push myself sometimes, and doesn't care if dinner is a bowl of cereal because I'm on deadline for a paper.

YAY for nontypical guys and gals...after all, I drive a Jeep, can play sports with the best of the guys, and spend more time hanging with the boys watching football and hockey than I do shopping at the mall.

Posted by: Krush at December 20, 2006 12:57 PM

You should come to Seattle--"non-stereotypical" men so far outnumber "stereotypical" ones in this city that the whole thing has been reversed. It's a town full of vegetarian non-sports-loving, hybrid-driving or bus-riding, hyper-literate musicians.

And for those of us girls that like them like that, it's pretty much Mecca.

Posted by: samantha at December 20, 2006 12:58 PM

Secretly, I think most guys wish they had the discipline to be you. We'd all live a lot longer and have richer lives.

Then again, dipping my bacon in beer while watching guys in helmet slam into each other sounds awfully fun to me, too.

Next time I'm in town we'll have to find some middle-ground. How about hummus and live music at a cocktail/coffee bar? There's got to be one around there somewhere...

Posted by: croutonboy at December 20, 2006 1:19 PM

I could never have lived with a steriotypical man, so thank god there are some one who does not follow everybody else. That way I have someone to love, who acctually love me back.

And I think your wife would say the same

Posted by: VVV at December 20, 2006 1:20 PM

cat men are H.O.T.T.!! seriously, one of the first things that really got me about my bf was how he prefered cats to dogs, had adopted a very sick kitty and nursed her back to health, feeding her with syringe, and how much she loved him now.

i like dogs. but guys and dogs are a cliche. give me a cat guy anytime. as long as he'll cook me a steak.

Posted by: jodi at December 20, 2006 1:53 PM

The things I missed most when I went veggie were bacon and pepperoni. After many years, my wife convinced me to try the fake bacon from morningstar farms. Maybe it was because I was so far removed from real bacon, but I love this stuff, now. Probably go through a box of it a week! Give it a try. It takes a bit of experimentation to cook it just the way you like. I recommend the microwave...

Posted by: Kaz at December 20, 2006 2:08 PM

Preach on brother. It's all good, well except for the cats thing. How can you like an animal that is so indifferent? If a cat owner was to die the only thing the cat would worry about is who is going to feed it now!

Posted by: Jeff A at December 20, 2006 2:50 PM

I think this is one of the reasons I adore you and Beth so much. You guys aren't the "norm." You're both a refreshing break from all the bullshit society constantly feeds us.

In the past six months or so, I've come to realize just how poorly I perform at being a girl - you know, hours in front of the mirror and diets and omg must get married RIGHT NOW and all of that. I'm so anti the stereotype that it isn't even funny. In fact, my personality is split between being an old fuddy duddy and a 12-year-old boy.

But my main point is that you ROCK. I'm glad you aren't the stereotype. I'm glad Beth isn't the stereotype. I look up to both of you and consider you two of the coolest folks I internets-know.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at December 20, 2006 3:10 PM

Apparently I'm "UnAmerican" because I don't eat mac-n-cheese. We're all rejects of stereotype somewhere. That's what makes us so cool. ;)

Posted by: Tink at December 20, 2006 4:47 PM

I hear you, Chris. Male stereotypes are just as harmful. The other day, a mother I know was debating on whether or not to get a tea set for her son, even though she new he'd love one. She shouldn't be worried about how it would appear to others, damnit, boys can drink and pour tea too! Another mom is already putting pressure on her 4 year old to be the next Beckham, even though he doesn't like soccer.

I was one of those curious about the vegetarianism, but it's only because I often think of becoming vegetarian myself and am interested in knowing the benefits and challenges as experienced by other vegetarians.

Stereotypes suck. What I know about you from what you share here on your site, you are a wonderful man with so many good qualities, who cares if you don't fit the mold?

Posted by: kim at December 20, 2006 5:04 PM

Like many of the women have already said, I prefer my men non-stereotypical. I'm not a stereotypical girl either- I was always a tomboy and preferred books to sports. Now I like the color pink and am a fanatical San Jose Sharks fan and my mother has no idea what to do with me.

Posted by: Judy at December 20, 2006 5:18 PM

Chris, I heart you.

You're from Texas...that's neat. I could be a vegitarian except I like chicken too much...but I could care less about the rest of it. Oh and sushi. Yum sushi.

I think you're cool just who you are.

Posted by: Melissa at December 20, 2006 5:58 PM

Beth and Mia are lucky to have you. Beth needs to write and tell us all how to snag a guy like you!

Posted by: E :) at December 20, 2006 6:13 PM

I have a lot of stereotype issues as well. You've covered many that I could add to and go on and on about, but I was thinking about bench pressing a car.

I'm tired of skinny models and feeling like I should look like them becaues they seem to always stare back at me. I hate how advertising shoves "idealistic" images in your face. Sometimes, they're so hard to swallow.

So my thighs touch. Big deal. My jeans are cute, my boobs aren't hanging out and guess what - I have on panties. That should count for something, given the fact that most stars are flashing their hoo hoos and boobs at us, right?

What the hell happened to modesty?

Posted by: Emily at December 20, 2006 6:49 PM

Praise be for the men who don't care about sports. I'm so glad I netted one myself. And all that other stuff, too. You have a lot in common with my husband. I knew I liked you for some reason!

Posted by: Kelly at December 20, 2006 8:46 PM

I come from a family of four kids and I'm the only girl. The boys are your "all american" types...jocks, blonde hair, pearly whites, mono-syllabic. I was over that by the age of 18 and started seeking out the free-spirit--the ones that didn't have the same political views as their fathers, the ones that found other things to do except sit around a table at the frat house and watch people vomit from binging.

I got my nerd guy. Been married to him for 20 years (yesterday was our anniversary), and I'd rather listen to him play me a song than watch him throw a football. I'd rather trade quips and puns with him than see him steal his jokes from Bugs Bunny.

He and I both have problems with people who make some comments about how we're different (and whoa, do we get that alot), only because we get sick of wanting to say, "Why are you so unhappy with yourselves to make a comment like that???"

Anyway, your type is golden...the kind that is sure to experience a marriage of 20 years of still "getting to know you" because you're so different! Makes life exciting and interesting and truly wonderful.

Posted by: kristen at December 20, 2006 9:00 PM

I dont really know about the rest of the world, but I LOVE the fact that you dont drink anymore.Dont ask why, it's just a strong personal belief, and though I dont force it on others, I do like it when someone does what I believe in. Kinda like finding some more common ground. And I definitely think that you are better read than WAAAAYYY more than half the world.

Posted by: Dee at December 20, 2006 9:24 PM

You lost me as a reader when you said you drove a wagon and like cats. Then you sucked me back by ranting about breasts. Good job!

Posted by: Eric at December 20, 2006 9:43 PM

How can you not like NASCAR and wrestling? I thought everyone did. And what are your thoughts about pork rinds? I mean, you CAN eat them even though you're a vegetarian, right? You just can't enjoy a good NASCAR race sans pork rinds, in my personal opinion.

Posted by: angela at December 20, 2006 10:12 PM

**in my best Stuart Smiley voice**
And that's...okay.

I knew all of this stuff about you already and I still like you. The reason why I read your blog every day is because you seem like you would fit in with my group of friends perfectly. Of all of my close friends, and there are several guys in that mix, I am probably the biggest sports fan of the bunch. Often times I will get asked by one of the guys what a penalty in football means because they know I'll know the answer. You may be unique, but you are not alone!

Posted by: Beth in StL at December 20, 2006 10:33 PM

All the reasons we love you!

Posted by: Janet at December 21, 2006 2:06 AM

The fact that your not the typical airheaded guy keeps me reading if you talked about the best set of hooters you ever saw or how often you scratch your balls a day trust me I wouldn't read I hear enough of that shit everyday( I live in KY). These stereotypes are just ignorant people making ignorant judgments on peoples individuality. We have enough guys in my state alone to make up for all the guys like you who actually want to be individuals. in fact I cant think of more than five guys I know that use styling products in their hair for christs sake! We all love you just the way you are dont change yourself to fit into the "mold" BE YOURSELF!

Posted by: Sunshine at December 21, 2006 3:18 AM

Oh and if that doens't make sense sorry just worked a twelve hour shift and havent made it to bed yet also excuse my bad grammar

Posted by: Sunshine at December 21, 2006 3:20 AM

I hate that society does that to gender roles. It's tough raising boys these days. My boys are not sports loving, more like computer geeks. I hope they don't someday feel inferior for that like you do. And you shouldn't feel that way.

Seems like your readers like you just the way you are.

Posted by: nila at December 21, 2006 8:03 AM

My question is do you carry a "murse"? (A man purse) Because I mean, that's cool and all, but it would definitely confirm any metrosexual tendencies...LOL You're an awesome guy and keep on rocking! (and I won't tell if you sneak any bacon...it's so tempting!)

Posted by: Michelle at December 21, 2006 8:53 AM

We are lucky to be able to read a bit of your life and do not ever change. Beth is a lucky woman, you might friend sound like a perfect man.

Posted by: Katherine at December 21, 2006 9:02 AM

Being a non-stereotypical guy is what makes you a great dad for Mia and would make you a great dad for a little boy too : )

My DH is a non-stereotypical guy. Very kind and gentle. Doesn't drink either, does like to watch golf tho, and is a ton of fun! He cooks way better than I do and does most of it. He loves to travel, frequent amusement parks and enjoys music. He loves to play with our daugher (so beautiful to watch them together) and does as many diaper changes as I do.

I wouldn't have married any other kind of guy!!

Posted by: Dee at December 21, 2006 11:18 AM

Coming from a meat-eating, sports-watching, small SUV driving, conservative Republican female, you're fine just the way you are.

Posted by: coolchick at December 21, 2006 11:23 PM

It doesn't matter what you do with your body. My boyfriend is a typical South Carolina male - hunts, fishes, drives a big truck, always wears a hat, drinks beer occasionally - but inside, he is smart, considerate, and loving. And if he wasn't an outdoor guy, if he was a big gamer or computer person, but he was the same on the inside, I would still love him :)

Posted by: Stephanie at December 23, 2006 9:40 PM