December 21, 2006

Teletubby Identity Theft!

Mia took a late nap yesterday so we stayed up a little past her normal bedtime and watched the Teletubbies. Throughout one entire scene, whenever the purple Teletubby (Tinky Winky) showed up, Mia shouted "Dada Dada Dada Dada!" Please in the name of all that is good and holy tell me you don't see a resemblance.

teletubby.jpg

I'd also like to ask you a very important question - what the fuck were the Teletubby creators smoking when they came up with those annoying little bastards? Watching that show is like an acid trip without any drugs. Trippy.

I'm well aware that this is a pathetic attempt at a post but yesterday sucked and today is going to be busy as hell. This is the price I pay for taking next week off.

Posted by Chris at December 21, 2006 7:25 AM
Comments

Hmmm, there is a little something around the eyes;)

Maybe she just likes that little blue freak better than the other freaks and wants you to lok at him too. Perhaps she's just trying to make you look at him.

Posted by: Contrary at December 21, 2006 7:30 AM

Probably the same thing the Boobah creators were....and why oh why do they need to broadcast boobah in high definition at 4 am?

In case I don't get back to the computer....Merry Christmas to the Cactus-Fish household!

Posted by: Nanette at December 21, 2006 7:45 AM

It's the ears. Definitely the ears.

Posted by: William at December 21, 2006 7:50 AM

Wasn't Tinky-Winky the one that carried a purse and was accused of being gay years ago. I remember that scandal from when my kids were into that crap. SO glad to be out of that phase.

Nice picture of you though. Tinky-Winky, not so much.

Posted by: nila at December 21, 2006 7:52 AM

Nope, no resemblance.

Posted by: Heather at December 21, 2006 8:00 AM

Your a stronger parent than I am....I REFUSED to let my kids watch Teletubbies and Barney...maybe Mia just thinks that Tinkey Wink is the daddy figure of the Teletubbies? Or maybe you should just start wearing an upside down triangle on your head.

Posted by: Lisa at December 21, 2006 8:00 AM

You don't look anything like him. I swear.

Tinky Winky is the one that carries a purse. You don't carry one of those man-bags, do you? 'cause if you do, that could be it... :-)

Posted by: Alissa at December 21, 2006 8:01 AM

Oh, and nice pic--of you--by the way...

Posted by: Alissa at December 21, 2006 8:01 AM

If I am not mistaken, Simon Cowell has his hand in that enterprise. Mr. Evil strikes again!!!

Posted by: Wicked H at December 21, 2006 8:04 AM

I'm thinking it's the ears? Although nice try at swaying the vote by doing the cool dude with a guitar pose. If Tinky Winky had the soulful look and a Fender I bet the resemblance would have been clearer.

Posted by: Nic at December 21, 2006 8:06 AM

Blessedly, Amanda and Katie were old enough so I was never subjected to this crap! I did the Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers route and to this day I can sing many of the Sesame Street songs.
And sweetie, Tinky Winky should be so lucky to look like you!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 21, 2006 8:07 AM

I can't really see a resemblence, unless you like to walk around with a coat hanger on your head. What ever happened to the days of Sesame Street??

Posted by: Michelle at December 21, 2006 8:10 AM

No idea what your litte one is seeing there... Wouldn't it be interesting to know what's going on in her little head for moments like these??

IS THIS WEEK OVER YET??

Posted by: Stephanie at December 21, 2006 8:23 AM

Resemblance? Maybe it's the tilt of the head thing...do you share any other mannerisms with the teletubbys?
[and I'm terribly disappointed that someone beat me to pointing out that Tinky Winky was the 'gay' one...but it still made me snort...]

Switch to Noggin...it's totally worth the cable bill.

Posted by: fauve at December 21, 2006 8:23 AM

My kids loved the teletubbies when they were babies. I think it because the Tubbies are in baby proportion. Big heads, big eyes and poochy tummies. Am I the only one that liked them?

Posted by: Amber at December 21, 2006 8:43 AM

Teletubbies got nothing on H.R. Pufnstuf - now that was some quality television!

Posted by: Traci at December 21, 2006 8:53 AM

I think it's the triangle on your head. I can see how that would confuse her.

An artist friend SWORE by the Teletubbies when Gage was born, and after watching an episode I had serious doubts about her mental stability. But then again, this was a woman who spoke to her child in three languages and used to run an art museum. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to get the conceptual message behind the freaky baby in the sun thing.

Now Boobahs, those dudes have it going on. Yeah, they're about as freakish, but they make farting noises and as everyone knows -- even the smart people -- FARTS ARE FUNNY.

Posted by: Krystyn at December 21, 2006 9:05 AM

Vincent does that everytime the clip from the "Superman Returns" movie is played at the beginning of the Papa John's Pizza commercial.

Vincent REALLY likes Superman. Maybe it's just a baby way of saying, "Wow, that's as cool as playing with my daddy!"

Posted by: hrmommy at December 21, 2006 9:06 AM

Hmmm....well...yes you do resemble Tinky Winky, its your ears! Hee, Hee, just kidding!

I dont know what the creators were smoking but kids love them! My two sat down and watched those little bastards every morning for almost a year before they lost interest. I still am recovering from the experience. Thanks for the flashback.

Posted by: linda at December 21, 2006 9:21 AM

Maybe the blue teletubby does something that reminds her of you, but she can't say that, and so this is as close as she can get. Does that make it any better?

Posted by: Jessie at December 21, 2006 9:24 AM

"His antenna is triangle-shaped -- the gay-pride symbol. And his skin is purple -- the gay-pride color.

And he carries a purse. Do you carry a purse? No?

You're probably safe then.

That was Jerry Falwell outing Tinky Winky.

Told you the other day I was weird. My girls had outgrown them by the time they arrived from England and I was disappointed. I liked them.

Still sneak a peak every once in a while when no one's looking.

In case I don't get back, Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays - don't want to offend) to all in your household.

Posted by: ann adams at December 21, 2006 9:26 AM

YAY for next week off! I've got the next two off, and it's requiring every bit of willpower I have to actually get things done so no one calls me while I'm gone. I'd like vacation to start now, please.

Posted by: Dawn at December 21, 2006 9:26 AM

The urge.... to photoshop your face... onto that tele-tubby picture... is soooo strooooong....

Posted by: Hope at December 21, 2006 9:28 AM

Hysterical...

Posted by: DMM at December 21, 2006 9:40 AM

do you carry a purse....er, I mean man-bag?
Tinky does....

just asking
geeze
don't get yourself in such a tizzy
drink some ball tea.

Posted by: the speckledpup at December 21, 2006 9:44 AM

have you seen boobah?? it's way more trippy than teletubbies.

Posted by: ali at December 21, 2006 9:51 AM

I only see it a little around the eyes.

It could be worse, she could have likened you to the one Jerry Falwell hated, the one with the purse.

Posted by: Lisa V at December 21, 2006 10:17 AM

Exactly what I used to think when I watched Teletubbies with my kids--drugs must have been involved.

Also, if you're crazy enough to get Mia a Teletubby, do NOT get one that talks. We were forced to remove the voice boxes from Tinky Winky and La-La before things got ugly. The kids still talk about their Teletubbies that broke. :)

Posted by: Carolyn at December 21, 2006 10:32 AM

OMG... that’s too funny - I’m sure Mia didn’t mean you look like a teletubby... really :-o I couldn’t agree more, the teletubbies and the boobahs are super-trippy shows... the boobahs are totally psychedelic!

My DD loves Little Einsteins (very watchable for parents too). She goes around the house saying “baaasss offff” (blast off!). There are four childlike characters that go blasting off in their space ship called “Rocket” on varying adventures. It’s filled with artwork, classical music, animals and world landmarks. Educational and super-cute at the same time.

Traci - I used to love H.R. PufnStuf too! Remember WitchyPoo? As a child, I used to think Jack Wild was dishy... now, not so much. Does anyone remember the Banana Splits show?

Posted by: Dee at December 21, 2006 10:33 AM

Disclaimer: As I've pointed out to Beth, even before our little one arrived, my wife and I would sometimes watch the Tubs in the morning while getting getting dressed for work. Why would we do this? A) Its much less depressing then the news. B) Its relaxing, like watching a fish tank (yes, a tripping fish tank, but still, the bunnies and flowers are very peaceful). Alas, our local PBS recently rearranged the schedule and moved the Tubs to the middle of MsMiss' morning nap.

With that said: Tinky is the largest one, and is somewhat goofy (falls down a lot, somewhat clumsy, etc). If general goofyness is part of your interaction with Mia, she may be picking up on that?

Of course, if you spent more time perfecting your dance steps, then Dipsy (Green) would have been Dada). Dipsy is way cooler (and more coordinated, at least by Tubs standards) than Tinky. No offense, I'm just saying, ya know.

If you have any other Tubs related questions, just let me know ...

Posted by: Eric at December 21, 2006 10:47 AM

Was Tinky Winky the cross dresser? I remember having a conversation with my brother (then aged 3) about boys wearing skirts (he was into wearing them at the time much to my stepmum's disgust, ha!) and he told me that 'Tinky Winky wears a skirt'.

I think that may have been the same conversation where he told me that his gran had a willy, and that our dad has a MASSIVE willy. I didn't want to know that.

Posted by: Katherine at December 21, 2006 10:49 AM

First, you mess up a situation where your wife uses the term "teabagging".

Then, your daughter tells you that you look like the gay Teletubby Jerry Falwell attacked.

Dude. I'm speechless.

Posted by: Jeff at December 21, 2006 10:51 AM

It's like you posted the same picture twice. Striking.

Posted by: Brad at December 21, 2006 10:56 AM

It's all in the ears!

Posted by: Adam at December 21, 2006 10:59 AM

I think you're ok heh. Also, it's a good picture of you, the second one of course. I was feeling iffy about your longer hair (cuz my opinion is totally a deal-breaker) but I like it in this one :-)

Posted by: Heather at December 21, 2006 11:16 AM

Do you have a pouch that we don't know about? That might be why...

It's definitely the ears. And the goofiness...

Posted by: Oakley at December 21, 2006 11:30 AM

i think there might be a little something around the eyes...

Here's to hope that mia figures out that dad isn't a purple, triangle accessory dude. Unless you secretly are... ;)

Posted by: suze at December 21, 2006 11:31 AM

Ok, I'm sure it's been said, but if you think this is trippy, check out Boobah.

Seriously, that show gives me the creeps.

Posted by: Amy at December 21, 2006 11:36 AM

Oh no, you look much more like Po.

Just kidding! Someone, possibly one of my husband's many British relatives, told me that in England the big thing with the teletubbies was to take X and watch them. So perhaps that's what the creators were enjoying.

I am having a similar week because I have next week off too! I'm looking forward to it...if getting through this week doesn't kill me.

Good luck.

Posted by: bad penguin at December 21, 2006 11:45 AM

Tell me which one is you and I'll tell you the difference.

Posted by: whit at December 21, 2006 11:47 AM

I have to agree with the others who mentioned the similarity around the ears.

Posted by: shelley at December 21, 2006 12:03 PM

I don't even have kids and I could just stare at the TV in a catatonic state when that show is on. And no I don't do drugs.....

Posted by: Kyle I at December 21, 2006 12:11 PM

you both tilt you heads to the left....

but thats all I can see

Posted by: VVV at December 21, 2006 12:34 PM

I actually don't mind the Teletubbies. Not nearly as annoying as Cyberchase, and not evil like that purple dinosaur who shall not be named.

I wouldn't feel too badly anyway. Last year Queen B pointed at the picture of Gollum on the LOTR calendar and cheerfully said, "Mama!" I'd take a Tinky Winky comparison any day.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at December 21, 2006 12:37 PM

Ok so are we being "honest" here or are we doing the "friend" thing??? Because I need to know that before I commit to an answer! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm so glad my Teletubby days are behind me...my kids were hooked like crack on that damn show and the fact they wanted to watch it all the time made me actually DO crack to get through it! AHAHAHA!

Posted by: Kate at December 21, 2006 12:45 PM

You know the freakiest thing about the telebubbies? The laughing sun-baby. That is the most disturbing thing on TV!

Posted by: starrynite at December 21, 2006 1:36 PM

If she starts equating you with any of the Boohbah's you're totally screwed. That is some messed-up shit.

Posted by: bhd at December 21, 2006 1:41 PM

It's probably just that he sings/is musical and so are you. You don't have a purple triange on your head so I think you're good.

Posted by: Laura at December 21, 2006 1:43 PM

I see no resemblance whatsoever! Also...I'm glad that the worst thing my kids were "into" was Barney. And I hated that bastardized dinosaur!

Posted by: wordgirl at December 21, 2006 3:46 PM

Sorry Mia, I see no resemblance but I love ya girl for putting that thought in your daddy's head. Well done.

Posted by: Jenn at December 21, 2006 3:57 PM

I made my ex-husband dress up as a teletubby one year. HAHAHAAH.

Posted by: statia at December 21, 2006 5:05 PM

You guys look exactly the same! You just need to gel your hair up into a triangle like his, on the top of your head! Then you'll be twins!

Posted by: Dee at December 21, 2006 6:15 PM

Your kid thinks you're a Teletubbie. This makes great deals of laughter for me.

So, so funny...

Posted by: Emily at December 21, 2006 9:50 PM

So, if I remember correctly, and wikipedia seems to be backing me up, teletubbies were invented by a child cognitive psychologist who designed the show to be as attractive to toddlers as possible (screw educational programming!). Repetition, bright colors, and characters that look and sound very much like small children make up the show, as you now sadly know.

And much like the parents who wouldn't let their kids watch Barney because the actor is black (aren't there enough REAL reasons?!?), yes, people wouldn't let their kids watch teletubbies because Tinky Winky was supposed to be gay.

My cousin thought I was Po (the red one) when he was little. If we ever hang out and the sun turns into the face of a small child, it's the final sign of the apocalypse.

Posted by: alektra at December 21, 2006 10:45 PM

That is freaking hilarious!!!!!!! Hard as I try, I do not see any resemblance....at all. And, hard as I try, I do not understand the teletubby phenomenon. ;)

Posted by: haley-o at December 21, 2006 11:56 PM

My kids are old enough we caught the first year of the Barney invasion. I'd sit home with my oldest and sing along with all the songs--I got to enjoy it a lot. He grew out of it more quickly than me--try explaining to your spouse why you are watching Barney on video when the kids are all napping. I still don't hate the big purple guy. But, then, I loved Capt Kangaroo too--he didn't even like kids!

Posted by: lori hahn at December 22, 2006 12:47 AM

My child will not know of the existence of Teletubbies. Ever.

Posted by: Amy at December 22, 2006 11:00 PM

I agree, that damn shows confuses me. But while I'm watching it trying to figure out the plot line-my kid is bouncing up and down. He loves those crazy fat, colorful bastards.

Posted by: Isabel at December 23, 2006 10:22 AM

Hello, nice site look this:
sesso Aldo [url=http://sex-italy.org/index.html]sesso Aldo[/url]

End ^) See you

Posted by: Angelo at December 30, 2006 11:44 AM

For FIAT: under 19 car insurance [url=http://brake.carauto-insurance.org/under-19-car-insurance.html]under 19 car insurance[/url]
For LANCIA: sample auto insurance policy [url=http://brake.carauto-
insurance.org/sample-auto-insurance-policy.html]sample auto insurance policy[/url]
For MINI: td insurance home auto [url=http://brake.carauto-insurance.org/td-insurance-home-auto.html]td insurance home auto[/url]
For DODGE: sample insurance cards [url=http://brake.carauto-insurance.org/sample-insurance-cards.html]sample insurance cards[/url]

Posted by: brake-NG at December 30, 2006 4:37 PM