January 8, 2007

A Weekend Recap...Kinda

Did someone break the laws of physics and accelerate time again? How is it possible that it's already Monday morning? It was just Friday...and I was just sitting here behind my desk. Right?

If you're expecting an exciting recap, well, you're shit outta luck. Don't get me wrong - we had some fun. But Beth was pretty significantly under the weather most of the weekend and the ways in which the weekend was passed are pretty much a blur at this point. I recall lots of playing (including a stretch during which Mia roamed the house with Beth's panties over her head - I have pictures and I'm not afraid to use them), a visit from the grandparents, and some playground fun during the beautiful Saturday. But I also recall being awake the vast majority of the weekend...including nights.

I do have a question - where the hell is winter? It was 70 degrees and beautiful on Saturday. People were outside, walking around in shorts! I know this because Mia found them all and pointed out their knees (yes, her knee fetish continues). Oh, and while I'm at it, there's another weather-related issue I don't get. Since the days are getting short and shorter, the nights should be getting longer, right? So why is the moon rising later and later? The reason I ask is that Mia, in addition to knees, is now obsessed with the moon. And asks me where it is constantly. The other night, I lost it. She wasn't happy and I thought I was losing my mind. Maybe I am. But why's the moon taking its sweet time coming up? Mia's waiting and she's not amused.

Yep. I'm boring this morning. I'm sorry. Yet I'm happy to report that I'm donut free. If one can be happy about such a thing.

How were your weekends?

Posted by Chris at January 8, 2007 7:22 AM
Comments

My weekend was pretty all right! Friday night was my holiday party where a very nice man, Jerry, taught me to play Black Jack. A great time was had by all. The rest of the weekend, we ran errands and took it easy until Sunday, when I decided it was imperative to clean my closet which ended up taking 4 hours. All in all: productive and restful.

Sorry to hear that yours wasn't restful, but at least you got some playing in!

Posted by: Emily at January 8, 2007 7:39 AM

No donuts? What is this world coming too...

I hope you are all healthier ASAP and may your work week go quickly. Get well Beth!

Posted by: E :) at January 8, 2007 7:43 AM

My parents tell me that when I was a toddler I had an obsession with the moon, also. Apparently I used to drive my father batty asking where it was, how it got up in the sky, etc... I'm not obsessed with it anymore, however, so look--there's hope! It will end, sometime in the next 30 or so years!

Posted by: Alissa at January 8, 2007 8:00 AM

Mine was, well, eventful. You can visit my blog for all the details.

Although I will say that this whole time-acceleration thing isn't just a localized phenomenon... I'm noticing it up here in the north as well.

Posted by: Jeff at January 8, 2007 8:08 AM

This weather... i know... oh my lord...
Saturday- rode the Harley, went on a photo safari and wore a cute outfit (sans sleeves) to see my husbands band play (it was 68 when I went out at 10 pm)
Sunday- rode Harley more... rollerbladed, hiked and cooked OUTDOORS...
unbelievable... love the warmth, HATE the rain.

Posted by: Stephanie at January 8, 2007 8:09 AM

I think Al Gore would have you believe that the moon disappearing is due to Global Warming.

Posted by: William at January 8, 2007 8:12 AM

being the good non-practicing pagan that i am i will straighten you out on the moon thing... Dec 21 was the winter solstice and from that point forward our days started getting LONGER. generally the solstice was a celebration of a return of the light (depending on your branch of paganism).

i'm reluctantly starting to believe some of this global warming hype... it was also 70 and sunny and gorgeous here on saturday... in JANUARY... in NEW HAMPSHIRE! WTF!

i'm also been meaning to ask you your thoughts on a band called midlake or is it midtown? erg.

hope Beth is feeling better!

Posted by: monique at January 8, 2007 8:24 AM

fine, thanks.

(aside from the aching chipmunkness of my face, of course)

Posted by: s@bd at January 8, 2007 8:50 AM

Days = longer. Also, http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at January 8, 2007 8:51 AM

Hmmmm... that didn't work. Was supposed to be a chart showing moonrise is about an hour later each day than the day before.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at January 8, 2007 8:52 AM

My butt is dragging. I worked 12 consecutive days and should have worked yesterday but wasn't physically able to do so. I still feel like someone beat me up.

Glad you aren't suffering too much from being "donut free."

Posted by: mdv at January 8, 2007 8:59 AM

Glad you aren't suffering too much from being "donut free."

Posted by: mdv at January 8, 2007 8:59 AM

Leave it to the Mrs. to come to the rescue (and beat me to the answers).

Days Stopped getting shorter back at the Winter Solstice. "MoonRise" is an hour later each day, perpetually (so in 24 days it will rise again at the same time as tonight).

I also had a blur of a weekend, mostly because TheWife decided with the warm weather it was time to start "spring cleaning" and our yard looks like it is ready for spring (almost certainly guaranteeing a nasty Nor'Easter or a snowstorm).

Posted by: JayMonster at January 8, 2007 9:10 AM

It's likely already been pointed out, but the moon is on 28 (?) day cycle and it's rotation around the Earth causes it to rise/set an hour later/earlier each day depending on where you are in the world. And yeah, the days are now getting longer, and the winter is getting warmer, which is decidedly disturbing.

Posted by: martin at January 8, 2007 9:10 AM

We woke up this morning to a white ground...my son said, "Hey! what's that stuff?!" (Stop, he knew what it was--we live in Michigan and should be buried in it right now!)

I, too, reserve the right to pull out any and all photographs of my kids in any HILARIOUS situation. I took them, I use them in whatever way I deem fit!

Hope you all feel better soon!

Posted by: kristen at January 8, 2007 9:10 AM

I folded laundry and freed up my brain to try and invent a kinder, gentler donut. You know, something that makes you lose weight but still tastes like heaven. I'm not asking for much.

Posted by: wordgirl at January 8, 2007 9:14 AM

My weekend was pretty good. Mia's fetishes remind me of when my eldest nephew was a baby. He was into the moon, too. The moon ... and window fans. Yeah, I don't know either.

And the weather is pretty damn freaky, I agree. I was out and about Friday night and there were things BLOOMING, for cryin' out loud.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 8, 2007 9:15 AM

The winter is here in sunny CA. Frost on the windshields every morning.

Posted by: ann adams at January 8, 2007 9:18 AM

I had an exciting weekend. Friday my diaphram beat up several internal organs. Saturday I went to the Park and then had cops at our place when we got home from friends' place that night.... Sunday was pretty uneventful compared.

I need tea now. Also, did you know this week is delurking week? I just found out. From a commentor.

Posted by: autumn at January 8, 2007 9:20 AM

No. Winter is here. In Wyoming. Everytime I leave the house I get pissed off, because of the shoveling and the stinging blowing snow. Snow, snow. All weekend we had 60-70 mph winds and one day this week the high is supposed to be two.

Stupid great American west.

Posted by: kara marie at January 8, 2007 9:21 AM

We hibernated. If it had been up to the grownups, there would have been no activity that wasn't couch-related. In actuality, there was a lot of Chutes and Ladders (played with complete disregard for the rules). We also made some of those suncatchers where you melt the little plastic beads, and played markers and Playdough.

I hope your week whizzes by and next weekend is healthier and less blurry for you.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at January 8, 2007 9:22 AM

Took advantage of the 60 degree sunny weather here in NY to take down my Christmas lights. We also put up the new outside light on the new mudroom, cleaned the garage, thoroughly scrubbed both bathrooms, washed/folded laundry, baked cookies, and busted my son (age 10) for Googling "naked ladies." Aaah, good times.

Posted by: Traci at January 8, 2007 9:26 AM

Actually, the days are getting longer now, and have been since Dec. 22, so the moon rising later and later, while perhaps frustrating for you, totally makes sense. They'll start getting shorter again after the summer solstice on June 21 - just in time for Mia's obssession with it to end... And I apologize if everyone else has already told you that, but I don't read the comments until I've left mine...

Posted by: suze at January 8, 2007 9:34 AM

The answer to all your questions is this: Physics.

Posted by: Bill at January 8, 2007 10:03 AM

No you can't be happy about being donut free.

Here's hoping this week flyes by....just like your weekend did.

Posted by: Isabel at January 8, 2007 10:40 AM

Well, since you asked... I didn't do much at all. Lots of time in front of the blue glow of my laptop while watching the babies run into each other. Oh, and watching waaaay too much Signing Times with Alex and Leah. Ugh.

Posted by: kimblahg at January 8, 2007 10:46 AM

All of my weekends were fine.

Donut free for 3 months. Let me know if you need a sponsor.

Posted by: whit at January 8, 2007 11:09 AM

My weekend was super fun. I learned more about tantra and breathing on Friday. I met a wonderful friend on friday and we walked around NYC (union Square) and I ended up in Brooklyn. On Saturday, I went to listen to live music at Cafe Wah around lower west side NYC. It was amazing, the music, the place. I am going to miss the city so much (trying to get as much as I can) when I move to Florida. Hopefully, Florida will be good to me.

Somehow, Sunday I ended thinking that Whatever is coming next (due to killing Sadam) will not be pretty and probably we wont know until it happens. My mom keeps having these dreams where an atomic bomb is sent our way. Scary.

Posted by: Katherine NYC at January 8, 2007 11:22 AM

I'm also obsessed with the moon and have been meaning to find out about the rising/setting business.

however, just fyi, now with the winter solstice over, the days will be getting longer :) yes, they're still short as hell, but we're waxing now, instead of waning. yeeehaw!

i tried to take a few pictures of the gorgeous full moon we had last week, but they were all pretty shitty. need to figure out how to do that exactly.

Posted by: raine at January 8, 2007 11:46 AM

My weekend was pretty darn good actually. I went to an all day event about 35 miles from where my best friend lines (she lives 150 miles from me) and so I spent Saturday night at her apartment and all day yesterday with her. She works at Michael's (craft store, in case you don't have them out there), which had the book I've been looking for for 6 months, which I got a discount on because she works there, yay! The only downside was all the driving, which I hate, and having to pretend to like her boyfriend/fiance.

Posted by: Judy at January 8, 2007 12:28 PM

Love the photo!

Posted by: Dirka at January 8, 2007 12:38 PM

It's been warmer up there than here. I'm a little peeved about that, but I assume it will even out when you're freezing your balls off in February and I'm basking in warm :)

Posted by: Becky at January 8, 2007 12:52 PM

I can tell you with certainty that winter is NOT in Fort Worth either. Unless you call 50 degrees "winter" or "cold."

I had a great weekend - fiddled with the new camera and tried to be all arty and stuff. Not so sure I succeeded, but it was fun anyhow.

Posted by: fw sunshine at January 8, 2007 1:53 PM

Good weekend. Lots of puppy stuff! Teaching them to eat. Now that is fun!
What is it with this weather? It was 60 degrees here in New Hampshire over the weekend.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 8, 2007 2:11 PM

My weekend countered yours. It was so action packed my blog entry about it almost qualifies as a novel. LOL.

Congrats on the donut abstinence! B and I are trying to eat better too. :)

Posted by: Oakley at January 8, 2007 2:45 PM

donut free, eh?
wish i could say the same for myself...

Posted by: ali at January 8, 2007 3:03 PM

My weekend was fine, thanks, but also too short. Especially since I worked yesterday and was at work long before anyone else this morning. I'll also be here long after everyone leaves tonight. I'm kinda thinking that today will leave me completely burned out.

Posted by: Jessie at January 8, 2007 3:46 PM

You are never boring, Chris!
The monkey LOVES the moon, too! Screams at it in her picture books. "Meh! meh! meh! meh!" Soo cute!

Posted by: haley-o at January 8, 2007 3:54 PM

I was supposed to go to DC to visit a friend for the cherry blossoms in the spring, but then I hear, they're already blooming! WHAT?! Thanks for screwing up my travel plans, El Nino.

Posted by: melati at January 8, 2007 4:28 PM

After December 22, the nights started getting shorter again, hence the moon's late arrival. You are not loosing your mind. Science and nature are simply trying to kill you.

Posted by: Annie at January 8, 2007 4:40 PM

70 degrees! I think we all should enjoy this global warming before the earth burns up.

Posted by: Neil at January 8, 2007 5:09 PM

Yeah, you can blame the winter solstice for that moon issue. It'll just keep getting worse until late June... by which time she'll probably be past it.

And I'm itching to see Mia with panties on her head. Mostly because I'm obsessed with Beth. But then you knew that already.

Posted by: Elaine at January 8, 2007 5:33 PM

My weekend was full of football and the days were nice as well. I am enjoying the sunny weather but the wind seriously is gonna blow me over one of these days. I too am left asking, where is winter? And I live in Cali where the winters are generally mild...but this is ridiculous.

Posted by: Kate at January 8, 2007 6:09 PM

OK, the moon thing has been explained, so I'll skip that part.
I spent my weekend hauling truckloads of goods to the Salvation Army, dropping off a pile of TVs, computer monitors, printers and stereos at the city's e-waste recycling event, being somewhat concerned that the old geezer at the haz-mat recycling place called me Sir and then picked through my boxes of old paint and aerosols and kept some things for his personal use, and generally making my garage the "cleanest garage ever!"
Of course, now I need to clean my house, because cleaning one area always leads to a mess elsewhere!

Posted by: Jaycie at January 8, 2007 6:14 PM

Dude. I feel your donut pain. Except I have ham, egg and cheese croissant pain.

I also feel your Monday pain.

Oh, and your too short weekend pain.

Posted by: Contrary at January 8, 2007 6:34 PM

Weekends are getting shorter and shorter, the moon is disappearing, there are knees outside and the weather is freakishly warm... what is this world coming to?

Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Posted by: s@m at January 8, 2007 8:36 PM

I would like to know just how it is that Monday gets here so much faster then any other day of the week. Every flippin week!

Very cool photo today.

Posted by: jenn at January 8, 2007 9:05 PM

Awesome, my friend!

No. Sick. Kids.

Posted by: Pammer at January 8, 2007 9:30 PM

I was out and about on Saturday too -- staring at the people roaming around in shorts and TANKTOPS. It felt very "TwilightZoney." [insert music here]

The moon thing might have to do with the days now getting longer... after December 20?21?22? the daytime is now growing infinitesimally longer. But I'm not sure about that so don't quote me.

And what is it with baby girls and la lune. My 20-month-old cousin Ava is obsessed with the moon. I think it's a little weird.

Great photo with the bevel mirror!!! :)

Posted by: Mala at January 8, 2007 10:24 PM

Winter has taken up permanent residence out west--here in Denver, in particular! We are about to get our fourth straight Thursday/Friday snowstorm with high temps around 10 for Saturday and Sunday. I'm fairly certain we'll have two feet of snow in our front yard until April or May. So far, in the last few weeks, we have had a total of 57 inches. As a CO native, I can vouch for the fact that this is totally unusual!

Posted by: Liz at January 9, 2007 11:49 AM

I think your chinese lady at Dunkin donuts is probably laughing to herself about your lack of donut buying. If you are serious about leaving them behind, you might want to try buying coffee somewhere else where they don't have the donut temptation every day? Hope this suggestion doesn't come across as being pushy, but I know I'd never be able to reach the goals of a no-donut resolution if I continued to go to Dunkin everyday!

best wishes!