January 11, 2007

Beat

I'm beat. As I mentioned yesterday, I sat through - and worse, actively participated in - six meetings over a course of eight hours, all with very important clients. In each of those meetings, I was able to identify at least three things that needed to be done by close of business. Of course, those didn't happen so today should be interesting. I need a cup of coffee the size of Peru. Or Bolivia. Whichever one's the biggest.

I know I was punchy last night. The following things actually came out of my mouth. The context is largely unimportant.

You know, I actually turned down a career in banana-peeling. At least, professional banana-peeling. They scouted me and tried to draft me right out of college during my sophomore year but I guess I felt I needed something to fall back on if the professional banana-peeling didn't work out. Or I was injured. At least, that's what I like to tell myself. Honestly, I had dreams of competing in the Olympics. Sure, banana-peeling was only an exhibition sport that year but I had hopes. Then the whole steroid thing came out and my banana-peeling days were over.

Did I ever tell you I almost buckled professionally? I was on the buckling team in high school but I ended going to a school with a particularly strong banana peeling program.

Well that brings us to something I like to call "girth."

Finally (in this long, punch-drunk rambling of a post) I must admit that, while it was perhaps the most serious and sober he's ever appeared, I wasn't thrilled by Dubya's speech last night. Apparently his idea of a new way forward is taking two steps back. Yet another Presidential Hail Mary in the seemingly endless Haliburton Bowl. Am I alone on this one?

Posted by Chris at January 11, 2007 7:23 AM
Comments

I completely missed Dubya's speech last night. The problem with TiVo is I never watch live TV anymore. Instead the boy and I watched a very Canadian special on Canada's 50 best inventions. Did you know Canadians invented the wonderbra? Neither did I.

Posted by: suze at January 11, 2007 7:30 AM

I can't even watch him. I like to pretend he is not president, and when he on tv that severly impacts my ability to do that. But I read about it in the paper. There are no words...

Posted by: jodi at January 11, 2007 7:38 AM

I briefly considered watching last night but I'd already heard what he was proposing and I'm not happy so I saw no point in further annoying and frustrating myself.

Posted by: pea at January 11, 2007 7:58 AM

Oh no, you're not alone.....

Posted by: Nanette at January 11, 2007 8:16 AM

I'm with Jodi, I cant even watch him anymore.I know not everyone loves New Orleans like I do, but its a city here in our own country and W likes to pretend its not.

Posted by: Lisa at January 11, 2007 8:18 AM

i know die-hard Repub's who are even pissed at last night's speech and the things it's going to bring. ugh. there is a plus-side, i suppose-- no matter who's elected in '08, it can't get worse.

Posted by: b. at January 11, 2007 9:10 AM

No you're not alone. But on the bright side, this just makes Obama's job easier.

Posted by: Jeff at January 11, 2007 9:12 AM

I can't watch him. I get too infuriated. I caught the recap on NPR this morning, though, and I was predictably appalled.

Posted by: Jen at January 11, 2007 9:14 AM

I didn't watch him either - seeing the man "speak" makes me angry and I can think of a million better ways to spend an evening. Like cleaning out the cat box. Which I did last night.

As for his plan, clearly he's in cahoots with Paula Abdul. What a dink.

Posted by: fw sunshine at January 11, 2007 10:12 AM

Like Jen, I caught the recap on NPR this morning. I just can't believe his solution.

Posted by: anna at January 11, 2007 10:16 AM

We watched it last night and I kind of agree with you. I get the sense that he's lived the kind of life where no matter the problem, all he has to do is throw money at it until it goes away. In this case, the money is transferred to paying and supporting our service men and women.

I only hope it works, because if it doesn't, then we've got a long two years ahead of us.

Something in particular that caught my attention was that his optimistic turn-over date for the Iraqi government to take control was NOVEMBER. That's nearly a year away, and that's (again) the optimistic estimate.

Dear, fucking, god.

Posted by: Adam at January 11, 2007 10:24 AM

Thanks to The Goodnight Show I was able to avoid the small words of the president.

I was under the impression that the new congress planned to prevent this build-up. I hope these plans never come to light.

Posted by: whit at January 11, 2007 10:29 AM

Meant to de-lurk at the beginning of the week - Guess it's as good a time as any?! I really enjoy your blog! Thanks for a bunch of laughs, even if I am not a liberal! haha You offer a lot of really valid points, and you do so with a ton of humor! Lovely family you have!

Posted by: Kell at January 11, 2007 10:47 AM

He comes on, I change the channel. I can read it later without being quite as angry. Besides, I knew what he was going to say.

Have you noticed that not one of the neo-cons (or hardly any) have kids over there?

Posted by: ann adams at January 11, 2007 10:58 AM

It is going to be a very long 739 days.

Posted by: Maria at January 11, 2007 11:05 AM

I agree with Ann Adams. I can read the paper the next day or listen to NPR if I want a recap of what Bush said. But listening to him directly or watching words stumble and lurch out of his mouth on television? No. No, I just can't do it. It's just too painful.

Posted by: wordgirl at January 11, 2007 11:10 AM

Its bad enough to have to listen to small excerpts of W on NPR. I have to change the station if they play too much of him. I don't think I could tolerate a visual - I'd probably throw my shoe at the TV.

The part that really bothers me is that there are STILL people who think he's the man... Wake the f... up and smell the rotten begonia!

Ughh! And I didn't even have to listen to him this morning because NPR was listing school closures because of a little chilly weather in Portland. It didn't even snow...

Posted by: JMo at January 11, 2007 11:51 AM

Didn't watch so I can't make an educated comment.
And don't come whining to us when Mia makes an inappropriate comment about you and bananas to some lady at the grocery store. ;)

Posted by: Traci at January 11, 2007 12:20 PM

I was not real happy with the speech, I actually think we need more troops. I dont want to see another failure, we can not lose this war, so lets play to win. I would love to see the practice sessions, they must be priceless.

Posted by: linda at January 11, 2007 1:57 PM

I didn't listen to him, but I have a hard time listening to such a moron as him. He's such an ignorant tool it's unbelievable. He was so set on going there when EVERYONE around was like "Dude, wth are you doing? We have no business in Iraq" and his response was basically "Screw you, you don't know what you're talking about!"

I don't know what to say about the banana peeling. It brought to mind some pretty lewd activities with comments like "Hey baby, wanna peel my banana?" but then, we know that this place is the model of classiness, right? hahahahahahahahahaha *gasp* *wheeze* Ok, sorry that was fun for a minute! ;) (as is "banana peeling"...)

Posted by: Teenuh at January 11, 2007 2:05 PM

Oh no, I think you are completely off base here. This was no small 2 steps back kind of thing.

This was like a man who was in serious need of a diet, deciding his new way forward to lose weight, was to eat more calories per day... oh and to top it off, call two other people fat slobs while he is doing it.

Things are out of control in Iraq, and he decides in the same speech to offer a veil threat to Syria and Iran? If that isn't a WTF moment I don't know what is.

Oh, oh, except for the point when he had the balls to say, "This isn't your father's or grandfather's war... There isn't going to be a surrender party on the deck of a ship" Of course not... because the jack ass already had one of those, way back when the insurgency was "in its last throws"

Two steps back... ha... if were only so lucky.

(Hey... you asked)

Posted by: JayMonster at January 11, 2007 2:17 PM

I read the reports instead of listening to him. His voice makes my blood pressure too high.

No time frames. No admission of a civil war. No grip on reality.

Posted by: Brad at January 11, 2007 4:44 PM

I debated, but I didn't watch. I can't stand his smirks, body language and I just didn't want to sit through another painful speech about how he can fix things in Iraq.

I haven't even managed to read his entire speech yet.

Posted by: Diane at January 11, 2007 7:16 PM

First, I'm Canadian - yeah Wonderbra! LOL

Second. I did not watch Dubya's speech. I feel that every time I am witness to him speaking, I get dumber.
Plus he didn't do anything but state the obvious. It's like me saying that I need oxygen to breathe.

Just my humble opinion.