January 2, 2007

Coffee, Chug, Rinse, Repeat

Well, here I sit. Behind my desk. Back at work. I'm not 100% sure what I can say about that except, possibly, fuck. That sums it up quite adequately.

Unless you've managed to maintain a total blog blackout over the holidays, you've probably already taken note that not everything went as planned for us this year. Actually, nothing went as planned. That's parenthood for you. I am happy to report that when Saturday dawned, it was clear that Mia, like Stella, got her groove back. Back was my happy, funny girl making me realize how much I'd missed her while she was feeling so low. So the long weekend was spent making up for lost time. We even staged Christmas Redux to include the entire, healthy family.

The past week has been educational too. I've been exposed to two staples of parenthood and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my permanent father's union card in the mail any day now. See, I got to watch a few hours of Elmo and log a little time at Chuckee Cheese's. Neither experience was particularly bad, but I've come to the conclusion that Elmo in large doses can actually drive one to insanity. And Chuckee Cheese's? That place where a kid can be a kid? I swear there were hookers working the room when we were there. Either that or there are some uber-slutty moms trying to distract their kids with ski-ball.

There's no delaying it. I'm going to chug the last chilly bit of coffee and try to jump back into the swing of things. Let's see if I can get my work groove back. Wish me luck.

Posted by Chris at January 2, 2007 7:00 AM
Comments

Love the pictures of Miss Mia from the holidays. It seems that "Back to Work" has come entirely too quickly.

Did you at least get a snazzy new cup for Christmas to take your coffee to work in? Dunkin' Donuts should give you one as their present to you for Christmas. You can tell them I said so. :o)

Posted by: Emily at January 2, 2007 7:07 AM

Well, let's see It was because of "Chucky Cheese's" That I met the love of my life. You see I took my kids there and his ex took their daughter there and the kids met. Once the divorces were final I met Hubby and well, the rest is history.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 2, 2007 7:28 AM

We took Pooter to Chuckee Cheese's one time. Chuckee scared the shit out of him and now I never have to go back. Couldn't have worked out better if I'd planned it. Which I totally didn't.

Happy the Holidays are officially over and now we'll all be expected to show up at work on a regular basis again Day!

Posted by: Contrary at January 2, 2007 7:33 AM

Chuckee Cheese's makes me want to crawl out of my skin. WAY too much stimulation for the hyper adult that I am.

Come on Chris, getting back into the swing of things is easy...it's like getting back on the bike...climbing up on that saddle.

I know. "Shut up, Kristen."

My recommendation: continue to drown yourself in coffee. It numbs the pain of back-to-work-edness.

Posted by: kristen at January 2, 2007 7:34 AM

Glad she is back to her adorable self.

Hey, if you can hang with the chuckster and Elmo, work should be a piece of cake!! Not as much fun mind you, but whatever!

Posted by: Wicked H at January 2, 2007 7:42 AM

i know this comes off as really prudish but i've always disliked chukee cheese's because it serves beer. it just seems wrong to me for a place that is specifically for kids and their entertainment to serve alcohol. but, like i said, i'm a prude so what do i know?

and, hey, i've watched a ton of elmo and i haven't gone insane yet so take heart.

Posted by: pea at January 2, 2007 9:02 AM

Chuckie Cheese serves beer? How brilliant. And now I seem to have less sympathy for you Chris. While Mia was getting her groove in (in a totally none dating a younger man kinda way) you could've been getting your drink on. They've got to make that place bearable somehow...

Posted by: Nic at January 2, 2007 9:10 AM

You are one strong, strong man, Rude Castus!

Have avoided the bullets of Elmo and CHuckee Cheese and the dreaded Purple Monster/I mean dinosaur...
Do not know how we did it but we did...
My daughter is nine now so I think we can breath easy until she turns twelve?

Posted by: Pendullum at January 2, 2007 9:17 AM

*ugh* Why does work have to ruin everything? I could use some more coffee myself, considering I spilled half of trying to get in the door coming into work...See?! I told you work ruins everything! Oh well...Tomorrow is Hump Day, hopefully we'll make it!
P.S. - Mia's hat is awesome! Where can I get me one of those? ^_^

Posted by: Michelle at January 2, 2007 9:22 AM

The only time that I remember liking Chuckee Cheese was when I was a kid. I've been in there several times over the past 10 years or so, and each time has been a nightmare. Screaming kids, loud electronic noises...shoot me!! Glad to hear you survived without too much trouble though. :)

Posted by: Zandria at January 2, 2007 9:26 AM

Good luck with the work thing. Going back after a holiday can be painful and slow.

Posted by: wordgirl at January 2, 2007 9:27 AM

After 10 days away from work, I'm back here too. It hurts. Really.

Posted by: angela at January 2, 2007 9:27 AM

After 10 days away from work, I'm back here too. It hurts. Really.

Posted by: angela at January 2, 2007 9:27 AM

One of the best things about Merced is that it has no Chuck E. Cheese - yet. By the time it arrives, the girls will have outgrown it.

The nickel arcade is almost as bad though but they're old enough that I can drop the and pick them up.

The pics are adorable and I'm so glad she's better.

Posted by: ann adams at January 2, 2007 9:32 AM

I'm glad everybody is better. Too bad the holidays can't last all year. Good luck with work!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at January 2, 2007 9:42 AM

I try to avoid Chuck E. Cheese's at all costs, but did cave in and take the kids once. The ex took them a few months ago so I should be good for a while now. ;)
Glad Mia is feeling better. I'm ugh-ing right along with everyone else on the back to work thing.

Posted by: Traci at January 2, 2007 9:49 AM

Sorry the holiday's done for you Chris ... all I can say is God Bless President Ford, as the State of Kansas decided it was a good excuse for another day off of work!

Posted by: Heather at January 2, 2007 10:38 AM

Going back to work after a blissful two weeks away = soul-crushing! Hang in there.

Posted by: fw sunshine at January 2, 2007 11:04 AM

I too have been beaten down by the return to work necessity. But I bet your morning didn't include:
- forgetting your alarm and waking late
- arriving to find your network account expired
- your PocketPC crashing and then rejecting the mid-December backup

I'm just waiting for the locusts now.

So chin up, emo-kid. ;)
(and let me know if you don't get that reference)

Posted by: Jeff at January 2, 2007 11:31 AM

Getting back to work is tough. That's why I'm reading blogs instead of working right this second -- I have to ease back in to it! I've read through the 400 emails that piled up...I started on the project that has to be done by Thursday...I've talked to most of my team members. Now I deserve a little break.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 2, 2007 11:45 AM

I have to get my work-groove back on tomorrow and I'm very sad about it, especially since there's a chance I have to work next weekend. (Argh!) One of my resolutions this year is to not slack off so much at work, so it's going to be doubly hard to go back tomorrow, because I have some hard work to do.

Posted by: Jessie at January 2, 2007 11:49 AM

Seriously, who over at Sesame Street thought Elmo was a good idea? I remember the Sesame Street of my childhood with much fondness -- the pre-Elmo Sesame Street, very nearly devoid of characters that would drive your parents off the deep end. Why on earth is Elmo necessary??

And here's what I really want to know about Elmo: Exactly how many times has Dorothy died and been replaced? And isn't that a good opportunity to talk to your preschooler about the cycle of life?

Posted by: Kelly at January 2, 2007 12:44 PM

Well you can thank me for Mia's getting better--I got sick on New Year's Eve in her stead. :)

It's hard to get the groove back. Thank goodness I have this mailing I must do, or else I'll still be dillydallying around here. Happy New Year!

BTW - Just glad you don't have that Elmo Extreme doll in the house...

Posted by: Oakley at January 2, 2007 12:56 PM

What? No donuts?

Posted by: Pammer at January 2, 2007 1:28 PM

chuck e cheese is a total no-go for me.
we took the kids once and i was sweating about 20 minutes in. i literally had to physically pull isabella off of the skee-ball machine. while someone else was playing it! it was almost death-by-skee-ball.

Posted by: ali at January 2, 2007 2:23 PM

Happy New Year!

Posted by: Liz at January 2, 2007 2:41 PM

I'm glad health has returned to the Cactus-Fish family. My husband is off today (the Navy closed down for the day of mourning) and I actually got to sleep in. Which was great since I did 4:30-6am duty yesterday after too much wine New Year's Eve.

The whole Chuckee Cheese thing kinda scares me and you've confirmed all my worst suspicions.

Hope the coffee works for you today. You may have to upgrade to espresso or maybe even Turkish. Do what you need to do.

Posted by: Annie at January 2, 2007 2:43 PM

Happy New Year to you and yours, hope 2007 is a good one! I have so much catching up too and more blogging in the new year ;)

Posted by: Chrissie at January 2, 2007 3:31 PM

Hmmm... See a little Whale Tail and Tramp Stamp at CC did ya? Hey, even mom's on the prowel need a place to drop off their kids.

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at January 2, 2007 5:09 PM

We have lots of of slutty moms here in Houston. I say if you are wearing what a 15 year old wears and you have spawned a young'un, then just say no.

Posted by: Debbie at January 2, 2007 5:29 PM

Welcome back to the real world - and happy new year Chris!

Glad Mia is feeling better. I now understand what you are going through as our new son is enjoying his first cold. Right. Not fun. AT ALL.

Sorry to hear that you are already back at the grind (as am I), but realize that as all good daddy types are we are merely fulfilling our responsibility to hunt and gather in the fashion to which our fathers intended.

It's all good... The sun rises, and we see those we love smiling back at us. Does anything else really matter?

Happy 2007!

Posted by: Greg at January 2, 2007 5:34 PM

Wait? Back to work already? How did that happen?

Posted by: Elaine at January 2, 2007 5:37 PM

A Tuesday Haiku (since we missed the Monday one):

Post-holiday blues.
At least I don't have to work
tax season this year!

Posted by: Beth in StL at January 2, 2007 7:39 PM

Mia looks great with the cute cold-hat on.
Also, I? CANNOT work anymore, it's like I forgot what it is like to work during a normal, non-holiday day.

Posted by: Dee at January 2, 2007 11:09 PM

Lalala la lalala la Cactus World.... (if only you could hear me singing this in my Elmo voice)

Good luck getting back to work. I am faced with the same prospect today, hubby has been off work for 2 weeks; now I have to get up and take care of the kids, ugh :(

Posted by: Nanette at January 3, 2007 3:33 AM

hookers at the chuckie cheeses... damn I have missed you and my shitty mood needed that laugh :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at January 3, 2007 8:19 PM

I hope you're feeling better about work and getting back into the routine. Josh misses us, too.... And the monkey misses her dad (but we're managing to still have a blast together, the monkey and I!!).

Posted by: Haley-O at January 4, 2007 12:18 AM