January 22, 2007

Snow!

It's winter! How did I arrive at this stunning conclusion? After seventy-degree days more appropriate for Aruba than Washington DC in January, Old Man Winter broke out a little snow for us. Sure, it didn't really amount to all that much but it was nice to have our first snow of the winter.

After a little bit of snow accumulated (and, as it turned out, only a little accumulated during the entire storm so please to be explaining the 30 abandoned cars I spied on the way to work this morning), we bundled Mia up and headed outside to play. She loved (or was, at the very least, mildly interested in) the snow last year. But this year? Um. Not a hit. By any stretch of the imagination. Now, she's very particular, as most toddlers are, but she was pretty concerned about the snow, specifically that someone better get their ass in gear and clean up this gigantic white mess. She refused to walk on it. Hated the fact that it accumulated on our coats. It was as if we'd turned loose a pack of rabid Oompa Loompas on her (feel free to insert your own, more normal, simile here).

With all due haste, we returned to the comfort of our home and stayed there, as we did much of the cold weekend, to watch the snow from a safe distance, play, color, read, sleep and spend 48 hours of our lives with each other, right where we should be.

Best thing overheard all weekend:
Beth: Can you say mullet?
Mia: Muwah
Beth: Yes, mullet.
Mia: Mullah.
Beth: Yay! Mullet!
Mia: Squee!

I haven't asked yet. I'm not sure I want to know.

Posted by Chris at January 22, 2007 7:41 AM
Comments

SO JEALOUS. When we get cold weather here, it is invariably accompanied by rain and wind, which makes not for the pleasantly chilly outing weather, but rather for the stand at your window and curse the elements weather.

Posted by: Contrary at January 22, 2007 7:49 AM

if you need any extra snow in your area please feel free to take some of ours -we've got plenty to share. I think we got another 8 inches yesterday here in Denver, making it our 5th week in a row of snow. Nothing will top the 37 inches though, all in a 24 hour period a couple days before x-mas :-)

Posted by: E at January 22, 2007 7:55 AM

Mullah? Perhaps someone is in need of a haircut?

Posted by: Jaycie at January 22, 2007 8:01 AM

What a cute little hat Mia has!

Posted by: Amanda at January 22, 2007 8:18 AM

yeah ... we're getting our snow, too.

(I know global warming is bad and all buuuut ... )

Posted by: s@bd at January 22, 2007 8:27 AM

I don't know which is cooler -- your kiddo saying 'mullet' or your wife saying 'squee'. ;)

Posted by: Krystyn at January 22, 2007 8:45 AM

We have GOBS of snow, ice, sleet, whatever - I don't blame Mia for getting the hell out of it! And of course, the mullet stuff is priceless.

Posted by: Heather at January 22, 2007 8:46 AM

I keep waiting for our big storm up here in New Hampshire. Come on Mother Nature, "Sock It To Me"!

Posted by: Maribeth at January 22, 2007 8:55 AM

Ahh, the wonderful snow we got yesterday. =) Where in a 5 mile drive, I saw 4 accidents, including 1 flipped over car and 1 car up on the jersey wall.

Gota love the snow, eh? And I like your simile, personally. lol

Posted by: Secha at January 22, 2007 9:02 AM

Your kid can say "mullet." That is ... that's just unspeakably awesome, is what that is.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 22, 2007 9:08 AM

We were more than happy to hand off that snowy/icy weather to you guys. We had not had a sunny day in FOREVER...until yesterday. Be prepared for folks from Colorado to laugh at you (they laughed any my post on snow) about what weenies we are when we try to drive on snow.

Posted by: wordgirl at January 22, 2007 9:19 AM

We've had snow in ottawa for a few weeks now. I'm done with it...

although I can't really complain, because it's Ottawa and we had 10C weather for much of the beginning of the month...

Posted by: suze at January 22, 2007 9:25 AM

The girls keep asking about snow. I say No Way. It's cold enough to snow but the last time was 1993 and then it didn't stick.

Funny that Malibu had snow and we didn't though. We're much further north.

Posted by: ann adams at January 22, 2007 10:00 AM

No chance of snow here, sadly. But then, there never is. BUT! Just an hour away is all the snow you could ever want, so we'll have to take our beans up there soon and see what they think.

And the mullet? Clearly she's talking about Anya, the mullet queen. After all, it's all about me, right?

Posted by: Elaine at January 22, 2007 10:13 AM

I didn't go out in the snow yesterday. I was writing, watching a few DVDs, emailing back and forth with Kate about the upcoming website changes. I was kind of hoping it would all be gone and melted by the time I went to work this afternoon...

Posted by: Zandria at January 22, 2007 10:21 AM

All those 70 degree days were starting to freak me out just a little bit. It's nice to have the weather back behaving as it should for January.

Love that Mia thinks the snow is some sort of mess to be cleaned up.

Posted by: bad penguin at January 22, 2007 10:36 AM

its just not right ... Virginia gets to keep the snow long enough to actually go play and take pictures, while Massachusetts got EVEN LESS SNOW from the same storm, and it rained/melted at the end so we didn't even get to go play in it! ... Me? no, I'm not bitter. sigh

Posted by: airwick at January 22, 2007 10:40 AM

We got snow too, roughly 4 inches, and it's about time after all of the ice here in the Midwest. It was a beautiful snow and perfect for making snowballs. I wish it would just rain or snow, none of this in-between stuff.

Posted by: Beth in StL at January 22, 2007 10:49 AM

Wow, Wikipedia has everything you could possibly imagine.
My 2 year old niece knows the words avalanche and croquet, so mullet doesn't seem all that inappropriate. Way to go, Beth, for teaching her daughter what's important.;-)

Posted by: Sijbrich at January 22, 2007 10:49 AM

Mullet...that made me snork...

Yes we enjoyed the "snow" too - stayed in, watched football, made a big pot o'soup...Good times...

Posted by: Sue at January 22, 2007 11:11 AM

Odd that Malibu, Austin and Tucson all had snow before DC. What happened to Global Warming? I need to call Al Gore.

Mullets are making a comeback. Seriously. I'm glad I never cut mine. What's old is new again.

Posted by: whit at January 22, 2007 12:11 PM

Philadelphia got some of that snow. My husband arrived there Saturday for a visit with family.

I hear that his reaction to the snow was similar to Mia's. That's what 23 years of living on the balmy Gulf Coast does to a person.

Posted by: KathyK at January 22, 2007 12:40 PM

30 abandoned cars, they probably belonged to politicians.

We got a couple inches of the white stuff, which seems to be melting as I type. So what was the point of the storm at all?

Posted by: Jeff A at January 22, 2007 1:29 PM

i think seattle took all your snow. it was here last week. i'm glad you have it back as i was getting kind of tired of it.

also, it should be mandatory for little girls to have hats with ears. because that's just adorable.

Posted by: jared at January 22, 2007 1:44 PM

Cute shots. I think it's totally par for her to be against snow right now :) But living in Cali, my kids didn't see snow until they were in elementary school so what do I know? HA! I wish I could think of a clever simile for you, so you know, you would giggle and think I was all cool and witty and stuff...heh, but the oompa loompa thing works ;-) Happy Monday. Try to stay warm!

Posted by: Kate at January 22, 2007 1:45 PM

My parents came west from NY for warm weather. They are currerntly in Phoenix,AZ, where it snowed yesterday. God is laughing at them. Of course, I live in San Diego and we've had the heat on every night for weeks here on the coast as the weather dips into the 30'2 and 40's. Where the hell is my global warming?

Posted by: Annie at January 22, 2007 3:08 PM

SNOW! It's so hot where I am... Granted, it's Australia and it's Summer so that should be expected, but whatever. It still sucks.

Posted by: E :) at January 22, 2007 3:28 PM

hahaha after seeing Charlie in the Chocolate Factory recently... I cant help but laugh at the thought of rabid oommpa loompas :)
and I LOVE your similies and mia bean smiles!

Posted by: stinkerbell at January 22, 2007 3:40 PM

Mmmm....mullet-y goodness.

Posted by: FW Sunshine at January 22, 2007 4:08 PM

Cactus, You gotta love the white stuff! I spend half the year in it with the kids.. We have taken over at least half a dozen snow fortress' from the Evil Darth Vader and his empire. (my daughter has no clue what I am talking about as I jump in the snow and scream Chewie!)

Stuck in his chidhood fantasies OUT.

Posted by: DavidR at January 22, 2007 4:34 PM

I agree with Mia. Snow is evil. Unless it is associated with some kind of cancellation of work. Then I might reconsider...

Posted by: R at January 22, 2007 6:59 PM

Did you check out that commute this morning? We had to be in Sterling at 10am for our arbitration. (Which sucked, thanks for asking. :) ) We were late, to say the least. But the Parkway only had about 10 abandoned cars on it...

... and one nearly-abandoned, nearly-ex-husband...

Posted by: Cartwheels At Midnight at January 22, 2007 8:13 PM

Funny that it has been unseasonably warm there and unseasonably cold here.

How great that you have a child who can point out hair faux pas at such a young age...I wouldn't worry unless they were talking about you ;)

Posted by: Amy at January 22, 2007 8:40 PM

haha! you haven't asked! haha! ;) funny.
The monkey has no interest in even touching the snow either. When I lift it to her face, she turns away abruptly, and says, "nah!" Oh well. Isn't it great when we get them all bundled up...only to go right back inside!? When we think we have the best idea (let's make snow angels!), and it turns out to be the worst?

Posted by: Haley-O at January 22, 2007 8:46 PM

She may have been teaching her about haircuts she should never have...

Posted by: arwen at January 22, 2007 9:44 PM

Somedays I miss the snow. But then I think hell no but I hate all this heat too. I know, hard to please I am ;)

Posted by: Chrissie at January 22, 2007 10:13 PM

Now if she could just grow one, you'd be all set.

Posted by: angela at January 22, 2007 11:14 PM

All I can say is that's freaking awesome that Mia says "mullet"! And I still think your anti-spam bot word is too cute.

Posted by: Debra at January 23, 2007 3:39 AM

Your snow looks much like the snow we got here in Bucks County, PA. And yet it caused an hour long tie up (because of accidents) on the PA turnpike.

Cas
Yay! Mullet!

Posted by: cassie-b at January 23, 2007 7:11 AM

Kids are so funny; you just never know what's going to torque them.

Mullet, huh? I'm intrigued.

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at January 24, 2007 5:24 PM