January 29, 2007

The Lamest Weekend Recap Ever

I'm not entirely sure how, but it's somehow Monday again. I'm not 100% happy about that either. But I am happy to report that we managed another great weekend. The weekend brought me to several nice (or strange) pieces of news.

One: Mia's vocabulary is expanding rapidly. Notable this weekend was the addition of the word "Paul" to her beanariffic lexicon. Yes, Paul. As in Newman. Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy (or was he The Sundance Kid?) and the guy on our salad dressing. Sadly, Mia only truly comprehends this last accomplishment. Our daughter is obsessed with salad dressing. We're not sure why. But at least we haven't heard the f-bomb yet.

Two: I'm going to be an uncle. I might have accidentally mentioned this before (I think I spilled the beans way before I was supposed to), but my sister-in-law is going to have a kid. Sometime over the summer, Mia's going to have a little cousin.

Three: Mia got to spend the entirety of Sunday evening with...wait for it...a dog! It was pretty much the coolest thing ever, even when aforementioned dog stole a piece of French bread from her chubby little hands. At some point today I fully expect her to cough up a hairball from all the kissing she and that dog did.

Four: This week will see my parent's forty-third wedding anniversary. Isn't that just a truly amazing number? I grew up knowing - and still know - people who have horror stories about their childhood. Their parents divorced at some point or a parent died or they were somehow terrorized by one or both parents. I've never been able to figure out what any of these things feel like. My parents, 43 years after getting married and 34 years after bringing me into the world, are still going strong.

And that's all I've got. Yeah. I know, lame, right? But I've got a massive headache and a pretty nasty case of The Mondays. So, tell me about your weekends.

Posted by Chris at January 29, 2007 7:18 AM
Comments

Sick baby.
Much onlne purchasing.
Obsessive cabinet cleaning.
Kindergarten recycling project.
Not enough wine.

That is all.

Posted by: Pammer at January 29, 2007 7:49 AM

Weekend? There was a weekend? Damn! I missed it. See, my days and nights are completely turned around and, for the most part, I don't know what day it is...which is kind of what it was like with a newborn in the house, but I don't have that excuse at present. I slept from 7 am to 2 pm yesterday and it is now 4:50 am and I am still awake. Something's gotta give! You, or any of your readers, have any great ideas for getting my sleep pattern back to some semblance of normal?

Posted by: Jaycie at January 29, 2007 7:50 AM

Not lame. Mia is adorable wearing your shoes.

I missed the weekend too.

Happy anniversary to your wonderful parents.

Posted by: Maria at January 29, 2007 7:52 AM

It was nice until the call to poison control....apparently those yummy vitamins aren't candy :(

Posted by: Nanette at January 29, 2007 8:06 AM

Kudos to your folks for their lasting commitment. As for the weekend...mine involved staying in my pajamas nearly the entire time...napping...reading (I'm reading both of Obama's books)...watching DVD's. In other words, I was a slug. And boy, did it feel good.

Posted by: Marilyn at January 29, 2007 8:08 AM

long weekend- NYC, Harry Connick Jr, good friends, basketball, laundry, groceries, work meeting. Boy it all went downhill after Harry!

Posted by: Lisa at January 29, 2007 8:09 AM

(the comment about the vitamins is hilarious--we had to take my little brother to the ER once after he down a half a bottle of baby aspirin at the age of 3--why?--because they taste good!)

had a good weekend. not too eventful (which is what makes it good). did the usual routine things that must be done when one travels through the week.

took our son to see "Children of Men". And saw the trailers for "23"--I'm so there when that comes out. (I'm totally OCD, and the issues are numbers!--given that my birthday is 2/3, I'm sure there's some hidden meaning about why I need to go see that movie.)

Posted by: kristen at January 29, 2007 8:17 AM

I am like you with the parents thing...It is amazing.

Posted by: William at January 29, 2007 8:23 AM

More dog info please!!!

I spent the weekend getting drunk at my new boyfriend's birthday party. He was drunk too. It was fabulous. We both spent Sunday hung over. God, now it's back to the grind.

Oh yeah - cool about the parents. My parents were married 35 years when they died. Had a perfect childhood. It's a great thing to look up to.

Posted by: Heather at January 29, 2007 8:30 AM

It is so good to have parents who love each other after so many years.

My weekend: Friday night, a "naughty" party with the girls, Saturday morning I slept insanely late, then lunch and shopping in the rain with the GBK, then home again where I did nothing but lay on the couch. And eat. And lay on the couch again.

Sunday morning we skipped church, went down to my grandparents for my grandma's birthday celebration, ate a delicious lunch, went maternity clothes shopping with my mom. Squealed at baby stuff with complete abandon. Then it was home again, where I did more laying on the couch. And eating. It's a good thing to do.

Posted by: Sam at January 29, 2007 8:39 AM

Wow, 43 years! Congrats to them!
Weekend - lots of lounging around, enjoying my last week until baby #2 arrives...watching husband hook up surround sound and trying to keep 2 yr old from playing with all the tools screws and wires, no matter what we did it still felt good to just be together (lame, sorry, but true!) Love the photos of Mia in the boots!!

Posted by: Danielle at January 29, 2007 8:59 AM

Congratulations to your parents. Mine had about 54 I think.

Weekend = flat tire and sick youngest kid. Great time had by all.

Posted by: ann adams at January 29, 2007 9:10 AM

Paul Newman salad dressing is da bomb. Excellent choice of word picking (plus my bf's name is Paul ^_^) For some reason, I was kicked out of the Rude Cactus blogosphere, I think I will blame this on the problems you were having with your server on 1/12 (b/c that's the last time I received a blog from you!). But all is good now...I realized that my world was missing something, Cactusness!! I can truly have a good Monday (if at all possible) now! Oh, and Mia's boots are pretty darn sweet!

Posted by: Michelle at January 29, 2007 9:27 AM

I'm sure it'll be fun watching Mia interact with another baby. You're really lucky to have parents who are, y'know, stable and shit. Congrats to them!

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 29, 2007 9:40 AM

Congratulations to your parents!

My weekend in a nutshell (because that's all it takes):

gave blood
napped
took many pictures
spent too much time horsing around on Flickr. (there's a joke/pun there. albeit a lame one. can you find it?)
chores

See, eventful!

Posted by: fw sunshine at January 29, 2007 9:48 AM

Keeping the house clean because it is for sale. With four kids, a dog, a cat, and a goldfish (it's the fish that really messes up the joint). Then it is cold and snowy and no one shows up for the Open House.

Silver lining is that the house is clean today and I only have laundry and bills to do.

Bad news is that I have laundry and bills to do.

Posted by: angela marie at January 29, 2007 9:59 AM

Hey RC, long time no comment...sounds like a nice calm weekend. Mine was calm too. Friday was craptacular....including a mechanic telling me our 4 year old car was unsafe to drive for the weekend (no, really). So we hibernated, made traditional Chinese food, had some friends over for dumplings, steamed buns and soup. Drank too much wine, read Snow by Orhan Pamuk (I recommend it) and tortured the dog with the camera. Pretty normal stuff.

Posted by: wn at January 29, 2007 10:05 AM

Your weekend sounds wonderful. Mine was spent mostly in Richmond; it was okay, not wonderful. Came home last night and watched a documentary, and caught up on some blog-reading. :)

Posted by: Zandria at January 29, 2007 10:11 AM

I have the same variety of parents.
I stive to be just like them!

Posted by: Steff at January 29, 2007 10:14 AM

I consider dog hair to be a very important source of dietary fiber.

Posted by: Leah at January 29, 2007 10:24 AM

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary to your parents!
Nothing spectacular about our weekend - just lots of quality family time together which was needed and nice.
And I did my taxes and now have to figure out how to spend my refund.

Posted by: Traci at January 29, 2007 10:28 AM

Sounds like a wonderful weekend... much better than ours. :) And congrats to your folks on their Anniversary... it's so wonderful to hear news like that in these days.

Posted by: corinne at January 29, 2007 10:33 AM

Bought some new running shoes on Saturday and then on Sunday successfully asked out a soon to be co-worker, who I really don't know to much about and boy did she make me work for it!

Very cool that Mia got to spend some quality time with a doggie!

Cheers,
JJ

Posted by: JackassJimmy at January 29, 2007 10:34 AM

i love that she's obsessed with salad dressing.
my kind of kid :)

Posted by: ali at January 29, 2007 11:12 AM

I spent my weekend reading and helping our new roommate move in. Not terribly exciting. E and I did trek to campus to have lunch with a classmate of E's and then the three of us went photo hunting at the cemetery at the edge of campus. That was nice because I like taking pictures :D Hopefully I have a chance to upload them this week.

But uh. Yeah. That's my boring life.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 29, 2007 11:57 AM

I was sick all weekend, but I read a really good book (the Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield), that I was able to download in eBook format so I didn't have to go out and inflict my sickness on a bookstore. But today I am at work, and still sick, and contemplating going home even thought I've only been here an hour.

Oh, and I totally feel you on the parent thing. My parents celebrated 36 years on New Year's Eve.

Posted by: Judy at January 29, 2007 12:41 PM

My favorite story (and my wife's least favorite) about watching what you say among those that are learning the language goes something like this:

(Wife walking daughter to Kindergarten and runs into an old friend who also has a child in the school)

Wife: Oh hi, how are you? You look fantastic.

Daughter: Yeah mommy says you looks like a whore in that dress.

On spending time with the dog, it is important to teach her early to make sure she keeps her mouth shut when close to a dog, so she doesn't get some tongue ;)

I know how it seems so weird to hear about parent's that are not together when yours are together so long, my parents were married 49 years, keeping the promise of "til death do you part."

Posted by: JayMonster at January 29, 2007 12:54 PM

I think it's great that your daughter's on a first-name basis with Paul Newman.

My in-laws are celebrating 65 years on April 1. Can you belive it?? 65 years?? That's an entire lifetime.

Posted by: kalisah at January 29, 2007 1:16 PM

Congratulations Sister-In-Law! And Also Chris' Parents! Happy Monday! Ny-Quil Rocks!

Posted by: Contrary at January 29, 2007 1:18 PM

Friday, James suggested we finally find and purchase no less than 2 pairs of blue jeans that fit my now skinnier behind. While we were at it, we bought him a pair of (not so attractive) tennis shoes that he loves for reasons I don't understand. Saturday, we went to his parents and helped spread rock in the driveway. Fun, right? Then on Sunday, we met with some friends and their 7 month old baby who had us all laughing. Originally, we planned to deliver a load of cows together (no joke) but ate lunch instead which I think was a far better plan. :o)

Posted by: Emily at January 29, 2007 1:23 PM

Dude, your kid is getting big. Her face is thinning.

Love the boots.

Posted by: Brad at January 29, 2007 1:49 PM

Not lame at all, my friend, it's just life.

Posted by: Maribeth at January 29, 2007 2:39 PM

Congratulations to your parents! That is so wonderful...and rarer these days. I love to hear about people who have had long, successful marriages.

Posted by: Janet at January 29, 2007 2:53 PM

Congrats on the new niece or nephew! I grew up very close to all of my cousins, and I hope Mia is able to have the same relationship with her cousin(s) as I was able to have with mine. It sounds like you see your in-laws quite a bit, so I'm sure that is a definite possiblity.

Congrats also to your parents! Mine are at 36 years and have never been happier. I'll consider myself fortunate if I can have a relationship with a man that is half as happy as theirs is. But they set the bar pretty high, and I refuse to settle thanks to their wonderful example.

Posted by: Beth in StL at January 29, 2007 3:52 PM

I slogged through databases looking for lost classmates in preparation for our reunion. In addition to the ones I knew were dead I found out that three more had died and one is in a vegetative state after a heart attack.

I feel like I'm adrift on the Good Ship Mortality.

Posted by: wordgirl at January 29, 2007 4:12 PM

I went to brunch yesterday and had pancakes the size of a toddlers head.

Posted by: jodi at January 29, 2007 4:26 PM

You are teh famous!!!!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at January 29, 2007 5:59 PM

I shoveled. I went to a 40th birthday party. (I'm to young to have 40-year-old friends!) I shoveled some more. And this evening? More shoveling.

Posted by: Jen at January 29, 2007 7:08 PM

First off Congrats in Uncleness.. If its anything like Auntiness.. its pretty cool! ;)

And yes, 43 is awesome.. congrats to your parents.. :)

Dogs are cool.

Our weekend was great. Took the kids To Milwaukee, Toured Sprecher, and went to the art museum. Really a great time.. Proof in the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mollyh61398

We both took today off, I think every Monday should be a holiday..

Posted by: Molly at January 29, 2007 7:13 PM

Congrats to your parents, that is wonderful! My parents are on 33. And Congrats Uncle!!

Mia is too cute ;)

Posted by: Chrissie at January 29, 2007 7:17 PM

Aww, Chris, this was a FAB post! :) I cannot believe Mia's obsessed with salad dressing. That's hilarious. The monkey's obsessed with Dora...everything Dora. It's hilarious what they fixate on.

She is SOOOOO adorable. Mia and the monkey both have those great big cheeks!

Our weekend was great, as always with the monkey! :) Lots of Dora, lots of books, lots of playing, lots of cats. Animals are the BEST for the kids. I'm happy Mia got to play with a dog!!

Posted by: Haley-O at January 29, 2007 8:03 PM

Hockey , Hockey and ...did I mention hockey? I bought a pair of skates and a hockey to my dear daughter

shoot...pass...shoot...pass... Being a hockey player/fan myself.. it was an eventful weekend...sorry!

Posted by: DavidR at January 29, 2007 10:52 PM

I wouldn't want to put you to sleep by sharing my weekend recap. Unless, of course, you have a bad case of insomnia and need the assistance of me and my thoroughly exciting play-by-play of how I sat on the couch and vacuumed and did some laundry.

Posted by: angela at January 29, 2007 11:01 PM

43 years, wow! thats great. i cant imagine (parents bitterly divorced). happy anniversary to them :)
congrats in being an uncle and your little Mia is adorable.
weekends are pretty boring here. Hockey, multiple tea parties with my 3 year old, Wizard of Oz, Little Mermaid and lots of Noggin. way exciting. :D

Posted by: mad mom at January 29, 2007 11:06 PM

Borrowed dogs are just about the greatest baby distracters, ever. I doubt if it works as well if it's around all the time, though.

Congrats to your parents!

Let's see, I did boring housework stuff most of Saturday, but got to go out for brunch and beading with a friend on Sunday. In between, I crocheted like mad on a baby blanket for a friend whose due date crept right up on me!

Posted by: Kate the Shrew at January 30, 2007 10:20 AM

Congrats to your parents. What an inspiration. My in laws have been married 43 years too, and they still like eachother. Amazing.

Mia is quite possibly the cutest kid in the world. Those cheeks!

Posted by: nila at January 31, 2007 7:00 AM

"I've never been able to figure out what any of these things feel like." That says it all. I hope you share that with your parents. And I know that that experience will be shared with Mia.

Posted by: Bunny at January 31, 2007 8:05 PM

Hey, who doesn't love Paul Newman? And salad dressing for that matter. By the by, he was Butch.

Posted by: Annie at January 31, 2007 11:12 PM